• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Holy @#$% my ear

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right before I fell asleep this morning, my ear suddenly felt crippling. I have been fading in and out in a haze since then (it is not 9 am). I have a god damn paper to finish and this isn't allowing me.

I can't remember the last time I had really intense ear pain. How do I tell if it is swimmer's ear, or an ear infection?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, I've had lots of experience with inner ear infections. Those usually make the whole side of your head hurt, especially when you move your jaw. Sometimes it throbs. If it's intense and localized, I've never ran into that before, except as a secondary symptom to the previously mentioned.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ouch, I don't know what to do. I feel like curling up into a ball and dying, and that is really saying something for me.

Do I have to go to a doctor? Will it go away? I think I have a mild cold- could mucus have leaked into the wrong spot? There is a slight pain at the back of my throat as well, like an itching.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forums are not the best place to ask for medical advice..

:shrug:

My ear infections always come after having a cold. If you go to a doctor and you do have an ear infection, they'll prescribe antibiotics, and probably no painkillers other than the ones you can get over the counter. If you don't go to a doctor, your body may be able to fight it off, or it may just get worse. Your ear canals may start swelling up and filling up, and they may have to clean it out with a waterpik type of thing.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OBVIOUSLY THEY AREN'T THE BEST PLACE

I can't exactly go to a doctor- I mean I could. But I'm in Boston! I'll just wait it out. Take a hot shower and some ibuprofen.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Go directly to Doctor, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. :)

What if you loose hearing? You don't want that at all...

uncommonentity

From my experience it should just go away on its own after you enjoy its delightful pain. Funny, you could of actually got it FROM your shower due to you possibly having deep ear canals. The water can get trapped in them and if not emptied out cause ear infections.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[blah blah, not a doctor, free advice is worth about what you pay, blah blah]

The general recommendation for avoiding an ear infection once one's ear is stopped up (short of antibiotics or other prescription meds) is to take decongestants to promote draining of the ear. In the US, pseudoephedrine is the only effective generally available decongestant. Since it is used to make illegal drugs, sales are tracked so you may have to go to a pharmacy (even though it is over the counter) and present your ID. Keep in mind that pseudoephedrine is a stimulate and some people taking it feel jittery and may have a harder time falling asleep.

When the laws about pseudoephedrine went into effect, some popular brands switched to Phenylephrine (used in Sudafed PE, for example), which seems to be no more effective than a placebo.

Lark

Right before I fell asleep this morning, my ear suddenly felt crippling. I have been fading in and out in a haze since then (it is not 9 am). I have a god damn paper to finish and this isn't allowing me.

I can't remember the last time I had really intense ear pain. How do I tell if it is swimmer's ear, or an ear infection?

I think you have an ear infection from the sound of it, if you got a sore face and jaw or your balance is effected its a dead cert.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've experienced this a lot...you definitely have an ear infection. Do you feel intense pressure as well, or just pain? Does your ear feel congested? Seymour is right...blast that thing with decongestants. If the pain suddenly subsides and there is some discharge from your ear, get to a doctor immediately - that means your eardrum has ruptured from the pressure. I've had this happen twice and your symptoms sound exactly like what's happened to me both times. I don't want to scare you, it doesn't have to be a big deal. But if that does happen, you DO need to see a doctor. Good luck :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, it passed after a few hours. I couldn't take it and just went to sleep. Now there is a slight fuzzy pressure in my ear, but it doesn't hurt. All is well, I believe.