• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to walk in heels....?

A

Anew Leaf

Ok, maybe I am a dork... but is there a trick to walking in heels? I am 5'10" so I don't normally wear heels. However, my dad is getting married on Saturday and I picked up some new shoes and they are platform with 4" heels... and are proving rather "different" to walking in versus my normal pantheon of shoeness.

So far my walk resembles either a drunken pirate or a gangster rapper with saggy jeans.

Any tips? :D

T

ThatGirl

Lift with your heel first, then your toe. Step down on a flat base. Basically you are walking a little bit ahead of yourself.

Sway your hips. Not only is it easier to walk that way but you'll also feel hotter. Win-win. ;)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree about the hip-swaying ;)

Just practice. It will be ok. I am 6' tall and didn't start wearing heels until about seven years ago. I always felt I was too tall, then got sick of never wearing pretty shoes... Well, there are nice flats out there but heels are pretty. Not that I wear them all the time, I wear flats more, but heels are fun. I get stared at like nobody's business too. Of course, sometimes it's hard to tell if men are staring at me in terror or if they're attracted, but it's generally fun. ;)

At first I simply thought I wouldn't be able to walk in them, but that problem sorted itself out pretty soon. And I'm a bit on the awkward/uncoordinated side, but it still worked out. ;) It's actually true that they force you to stand up straighter, look more confident, etc etc. (And basically, if you are a very tall woman, which either 5'10'' or 6' is, you have two choices: look more confident than average because you're tall and you're stepping out boldly, or look less confident than average because you're slouching and trying to hide your height, yet are still obviously tall.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The hip-sway somehow (maybe like a gyro scope?) helps me stay balanced, but it seems to happen more easily with heels. There's a rhythm to it...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahaha saturned just go with the swagger babe

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Tips:

1.) Keep practicing. Every day for at least an hour 'til Saturday.

2.) Bring a spare pair of shoes that match, even some ballerina flats if the shoes are really killing you. You will likely get tired and sore in them when you're not used to them. You can stomp around in a 3.5" heel for about 65% longer than a 4" - trust me, I have measured this stuff out scientifically.

3.) Do not step / strike down on the heel. Don't trust the heel to take the pressure. You basically imagine you are walking on tippie-toes and there are no heels to tippie-toes, get it? The heel is not to be used for anything other than a modest stability, esp at that height. As TG says, step flat.

4.) And platforms have a rocking nature to them, rolling you forward. Be sure to lift your feet or you'll trip on surfaces you wouldn't ordinarily think twice about walking on.

And take pics! We want to see you in all your glory!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^ evil :laugh:

To the op:
I'm as tall as you and don't know how to walk on heals well, because most of time I don't need any... :D

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PB is right about them killing you more when you're not used to them...I certainly found that to begin with. I have a couple of pairs which are really really comfortable and I could wear them all day pretty much, but they're not THE most exciting or elegant, though they're ok. And even with those, if I do literally wear them all day, I notice the balls of my feet are slightly sore at the end of the day.

However, I have found platforms to be definitely more comfortable and walkable-in, so hopefully that will help you out. Except, word of warning: massive platforms are supposed to be one of the top causes of wrenched ankles...I think because they feel more comfortable and easier to walk in, they can lull you into a false sense of security... :D

A

Anew Leaf

*starts jogging in heels*

haha! great tips so far! I am going to put them on now..... *lurches back over to computer in sexy frankenstein manner*

A

Anew Leaf

Hmm, well, so far the results are:

1- I walked around my store for a few minutes with no mishaps.
2- Then I stood talking to a friend and got my heel caught in a flap of display fabric and almost fell over... from a standing still perspective.... :whistling:

But walking with the emphasis on the toes/ball of the foot really does work better than what I was doing... great advice!

I'm just glad that my dad's family is all tall and the family he's marrying into is all tall. I am actually the "short" one now! I'll either be walking down with my 6'5" stepbrother or 6'3" uncle -- it's all up in the air still.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahaha saturned just go with the swagger babe

Insolias really do work. They shift your weight back toward the heel, and therefore, you don't feel as if you are leaning forward. It offers a much-more solid strut.

-------------

I used to work in heels for 8 hours a day lol..... ;), so I had to do all I could.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3.) Do not step / strike down on the heel. Don't trust the heel to take the pressure. You basically imagine you are walking on tippie-toes and there are no heels to tippie-toes, get it? The heel is not to be used for anything other than a modest stability, esp at that height. As TG says, step flat.

This.

Check out a vid of a runway model, as they do a super-exaggerated version of what you're supposed to do. If you watch them, the movement of their hips requires their foot to strike roughly at the ball of their foot as they walk. Like I said, you dont need to do the full-on stomp, but the general principle is the same. The ability to balance towards the front of the foot becomes more important the higher the heel is.

Good luck, Bunny!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Walk in heels? Are you kidding?
I can drunkenly jog down a cobblestone walkway in heels. One foot in front of the other, just like any other shoes.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i used to wear heels every day but since i don't as much due to work i've noticed that when i put on high ones that aren't a wedge or platform i feel totally unstable at first so i know what ya mean...but really you just get used to them.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i used to wear heels every day but since i don't as much due to work i've noticed that when i put on high ones that aren't a wedge or platform i feel totally unstable at first so i know what ya mean...but really you just get used to them.

My feet used to hurt after a full day, regardless. It helped a significant amount to wear insoles. Plus, I could wear heels a lot longer before my feet started hurting (and my back!). So, I wear them anytime I wear heels now. Why not?

(LoL, I know you aren't responding to me; I'm just running my mouth, as usual ;)