• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypC Stop Eating S*** Challenge

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What kinds of shit do YOU want to stop devouring?

Oh me? Why I start off the day with a cup of green tea, and a small bowl of parfait made of plain Greek yogurt and flax seeds. Then, mixed greens and baked chicken for lunch (non-fat balsamic vinaigrette on the side, obviously! :)) For dinner I like to spice it up with some whole wheat pasta with broccolini and feta from the Food Network's Healthy Eating site, and maybe even a glass or two of merlot! If I'm bad I'll have carrots and fat free ranch as an after dinner snack. :blush: I could probably cut back on the ranch, though. So naughty! Teehee! ^_^

DO YOU HEAR THAT?!?! THAT IS THE SOUND OF THE DEATH OF JOY, MY FRIEND. You might be a size 00 if you eat right, or you might end up a size 8 diabetic. I say fuck it. Life is too freaking short to do anything, but be lavish about the damn thing. Love your Twinkies! Relish your Baconators! Drink your Big Gulp down to the lees! Don't let the bastards take the pleasure from food unless they rip it from your cold, greasy hands. Be free, Mrcockburn. To quote a tattoo somewhere on Angelina Jolie's back (or perhaps ribcage or thigh), "That which nourishes me, destroys me". The next time you pick up that bearclaw, Mrcockburn, I know you're going to hesitate. You're gonna feel guilty. But I want you to think of whichever part of Angelina that was, and I want you to embrace your bliss. And fly.

emot-911.gif

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Soda. Tis the death of me. The fact that my heart is sinking at the thought of not drinking soda is probably a sign that I should stop drinking soda.
I went 2 weeks just drinking water and watered down lemonade when I felt naughty and I felt pretty good.

My goal? One month soda free, but I'm going to take it day by day and week by week.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Still not craving sugar, but OMG I feel so braindead with this paleo diet. Obviously I need real sugar to function.

:sleeping:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Looking at your diet, the more of that stuff I eat the more I crave it. If I get home from work feeling like a snack I go for nuts, or even a spoonful of peanut butter, blunts my appetite right in it's tracks, whereas snacking on processed carbs it just won't satisfy.

I think you probably have a high NEAT.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Looking at your diet, the more of that stuff I eat the more I crave it. If I get home from work feeling like a snack I go for nuts, or even a spoonful of peanut butter, blunts my appetite right in it's tracks, whereas snacking on processed carbs it just won't satisfy.

I think you probably have a high NEAT.

meh, I don't buy it. All my cleaning ladies are always pudgy, and certainly don't eat as much as I do.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh me? Why I start off the day with a cup of green tea, and a small bowl of parfait made of plain Greek yogurt and flax seeds. Then, mixed greens and baked chicken for lunch (non-fat balsamic vinaigrette on the side, obviously! :)) For dinner I like to spice it up with some whole wheat pasta with broccolini and feta from the Food Network's Healthy Eating site, and maybe even a glass or two of merlot! If I'm bad I'll have carrots and fat free ranch as an after dinner snack. :blush: I could probably cut back on the ranch, though. So naughty! Teehee! ^_^

DO YOU HEAR THAT?!?! THAT IS THE SOUND OF THE DEATH OF JOY, MY FRIEND. You might be a size 00 if you eat right, or you might end up a size 8 diabetic. I say fuck it. Life is too freaking short to do anything, but be lavish about the damn thing. Love your Twinkies! Relish your Baconators! Drink your Big Gulp down to the lees! Don't let the bastards take the pleasure from food unless they rip it from your cold, greasy hands. Be free, Mrcockburn. To quote a tattoo somewhere on Angelina Jolie's back (or perhaps ribcage or thigh), "That which nourishes me, destroys me". The next time you pick up that bearclaw, Mrcockburn, I know you're going to hesitate. You're gonna feel guilty. But I want you to think of whichever part of Angelina that was, and I want you to embrace your bliss. And fly.

emot-911.gif

oh come on, that's the best pic you could come up with? :rofl1:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Still not craving sugar, but OMG I feel so braindead with this paleo diet. Obviously I need real sugar to function.

:sleeping:

No. The first three days of breaking the carb addiction feels like shit. Expect it, and resist temptation if you ever want to break it.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to drink moar water. But I hate drinking water.

I like hot tea.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
meh, I don't buy it. All my cleaning ladies are always pudgy, and certainly don't eat as much as I do.

High NEAT means you burn a lot of calories naturally without having to exercise, so you're actually proving his point. (Edit: wrong, I didn't read far enough.)

I used to have super high NEAT and could eat whatever I wanted, now I have low NEAT.

After gaining a few beer pounds in college, I started eating low-fat high-carb, as the retarded doctors like to recommend because it's what they were told in school, which completely fd up my metabolism. I ate low fat for years, and watched my metabolism plummet, without understanding why. As someone with type 2 diabetes in the family tree, that was the worst possible thing I could do for my body.

Now I have to eat low carb and watch my weight like a hawk. If I eat like a normal person OR stop exercising like a maniac, I gain 1 or 2 lbs per week, more if I eat like a normal person AND stop exercising. That's 100 lbs per year -> instant obesity. Scary shit. Luckily, my metabolism recovers a bit by taking high potency probiotics and by doing CrossFit regularly. I get excited and consider it a miracle from God when I can get away with 2 desserts in a week without gaining weight. So I'm currently at a healthy weight, but only because I flip out whenever I gain weight and work my ass off to lose it again.

However, I do treat myself to relatively healthy desserts on a regular basis. For example, I've worked my way up from chocolate at 75% cocoa to 85% cocoa, yummy. It used to be too bitter for me, but now I actually prefer it that way because it's soooo rich and chocolatey. I also buy these chocolate mint protein bars that are yummy, or I have strawberries in vanilla milk, tastes like strawberries and ice cream. I use sugar free vanilla cream and mix a bit with 1% milk for the vanilla milk. Low cal, low sugar, tastes like vanilla ice cream but liquid.

Sometimes I just say fuck it and eat what I want, but there is a price to pay for doing that too much. The best way is to indulge when you really want something, but in limited portions, and savor it. I do a lot of that, too, and it's fine.

Last edited:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh come on, that's the best pic you could come up with? :rofl1:

It was the closest the internet gets to wrapping my pro-ham ham argument in the Amurrican flag. Why? You gotta problem with freedom, you damn dirty hippie?! :mad:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I go by the set point theory, that there is a point at which your body is aiming for and it's different for everyone and "metabolism" isn't a static thing. If you get too high above your set point your body ramps up NEAT or decreases your appetite or both. If you get too low your body will drop NEAT including things like body temperature, increase appetite and lethargy. Maybe you have a low set point and the cleaning ladies have a high set point. Up to 80% of the difference in weight between individuals is genetic, so up to 80% of the difference between your weight and the cleaning ladies is how your body responds to what you're eating rather than what you're eating. There is also gut bacteria to consider, there is a whole world of bacteria inside your gut and it's probably a lot different to the cleaning ladies. Certain bacteria probably burn through a lot of that sugar.

This is all based on journals and stuff I've read online so perhaps it's all bollocks.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
High NEAT means you burn a lot of calories naturally without having to exercise, so you're actually proving his point.

I used to have super high NEAT and could eat whatever I wanted, now I have low NEAT.

After gaining a few beer pounds in college, I started eating low-fat high-carb, as the retarded doctors like to recommend because it's what they were told in school, which completely fd up my metabolism. I ate low fat for years, and watched my metabolism plummet, without understanding why. As someone with type 2 diabetes in the family tree, that was the worst possible thing I could do for my body.

Now I have to eat low carb and watch my weight like a hawk. If I eat like a normal person OR stop exercising like a maniac, I gain 1 or 2 lbs per week, more if I eat like a normal person AND stop exercising. That's 100 lbs per year -> instant obesity. Scary shit. Luckily, my metabolism recovers a bit by taking high potency probiotics and by doing CrossFit regularly. I get excited and consider it a miracle from God when I can get away with 2 desserts in a week without gaining weight. So I'm currently at a healthy weight, but only because I flip out whenever I gain weight and work my ass off to lose it again.

However, I do treat myself to relatively healthy desserts on a regular basis. For example, I've worked my way up from chocolate at 75% cocoa to 85% cocoa, yummy. It used to be too bitter for me, but now I actually prefer it that way because it's soooo rich and chocolatey. I also buy these chocolate mint protein bars that are yummy, or I have strawberries in vanilla milk, tastes like strawberries and ice cream. I use sugar free vanilla cream and mix a bit with 1% milk for the vanilla milk. Low cal, low sugar, tastes like vanilla ice cream but liquid.

Sometimes I just say fuck it and eat what I want, but there is a price to pay for doing that too much. The best way is to indulge when you really want something, but in limited portions, and savor it. I do a lot of that, too, and it's fine.

NEAT isn't basal metabolic rate. It's a way of saying "burn calories FROM moving around in a day (excluding formal exercise)". BMR is what's just genetic - what you get just existing.

But holy crap. That sucks how militant you have to be about your weight. I don't know how you do it. Blech!

On that note, perhaps you should change your signature and username.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
NEAT isn't basal metabolic rate. It's a way of saying "burn calories FROM moving around in a day (excluding formal exercise)". BMR is what's just genetic - what you get just existing.

But holy crap. That sucks how militant you have to be about your weight. I don't know how you do it. Blech!

On that note, perhaps you should change your signature and username.

Oops, sorry, my bad. I only read the first few sentences. :doh:

Yeah, it's really fn annoying because I thought I was doing the right thing by eating low fat, but instead I ruined my previously-awesome metabolism. Thankfully I've managed to recover it a bit over the last while. I've also discovered that there is a lot of healthy food I actually really like, so it isn't so bad. I love fish and veggies, and I never get fat eating that.

And yeah, I guess my sig is kind of ironic. :laugh:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I go by the set point theory, that there is a point at which your body is aiming for and it's different for everyone and "metabolism" isn't a static thing. If you get too high above your set point your body ramps up NEAT or decreases your appetite or both. If you get too low your body will drop NEAT including things like body temperature, increase appetite and lethargy. Maybe you have a low set point and the cleaning ladies have a high set point. Up to 80% of the difference in weight between individuals is genetic, so up to 80% of the difference between your weight and the cleaning ladies is how your body responds to what you're eating rather than what you're eating. There is also gut bacteria to consider, there is a whole world of bacteria inside your gut and it's probably a lot different to the cleaning ladies. Certain bacteria probably burn through a lot of that sugar.

This is all based on journals and stuff I've read online so perhaps it's all bollocks.

Usually, gaining weight will raise your set point, making it difficult to lose that weight again. I think it is possible to lower it again, but really difficult. It's also the reason you have to be militant about *keeping* weight off once lost, otherwise, you'll just gain it all back again in a blink. It takes time and work to reset the set point. So maintaining for awhile is almost as difficult as losing the weight, because the body is trying to gain it back again.

It's true about gut bacteria, and it's the reason why I need to take extra strong probiotics to maintain my weight and metabolism.

I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid, so started off on the wrong foot by going on antibiotics many times. I think it probably caught up to me in uni the time I went to Oktoberfest 3 or 4 times in one weekend against the doc's recommendations while taking antibiotics for strep throat or something like that, haha. So there's that, too. Now I avoid antibiotics, even when I get bronchitis. I know how to detect the early signals, and I can recover with liquid Nyquil by sleeping all day and all night.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OMG.

Raw almond butter. 6 net carbs for the whole fucking jar. Nothing but raw almonds.

I'm a happy cat!

SO recommended to anyone weaning off of junk food, this is like eating a gourmet dessert AAAAAAH!

:yays:

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
You must be an ectomorph OP. Superfast metabolic rate. So far for me 2 years on the atkins diet and beautifully well maintained I believe. I was a sugar addict like yourself though I believe worse. About 7 chocolate bars, 2 large bags of crisps, 5 cokes and quarter of a nutella jar per day. Tis non-existent anymore... except the cokes are switched to it's diet versions.

I have to say Oaky, you're ever so fun when you DO eat chocolate.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to say Oaky, you're ever so fun when you DO eat chocolate.
Chocolate is always, always trying my mental state against me. Bugger being an ex-chocoholic.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Chocolate is always, always trying my mental state against me. Bugger being an ex-chocoholic.

Have you tried switching to super dark chocolate so that you can get your chocolate fix in a small amount, and it is actually somewhat healthy?

I think I started at 68% cocoa, then 70-75%, now I eat chocolate at 85% cocoa, and actually prefer it that way. I've become a chocolate snob and the regular kind is too sweet. And since it's so strong, I get my fill in a small amount. Also, it isn't addictive like milk chocolate is, because it is low in sugar.

Good quality dark chocolate is also more flavorful. Like wine, the taste of the chocolate depends on the nutrients in the soil where the cocoa beans were grown. Volcanic soil, like in Madagascar, gives the chocolate a subtle fruity flavor, like red berries. I recommend trying some high quality Madagascar chocolate. Maybe start with 65% cocoa, see how you like it.

Also, be sure to buy it somewhere that sells a lot of it. Sometimes little corner shops will sell it and it will be stale. Blech. Lindt and Ghirardelli are both pretty easy to find in grocery stores, and their dark chocolate is quite good considering how inexpensive it is.