User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    meh, I don't buy it. All my cleaning ladies are always pudgy, and certainly don't eat as much as I do.
    High NEAT means you burn a lot of calories naturally without having to exercise, so you're actually proving his point. (Edit: wrong, I didn't read far enough.)

I used to have super high NEAT and could eat whatever I wanted, now I have low NEAT.

After gaining a few beer pounds in college, I started eating low-fat high-carb, as the retarded doctors like to recommend because it's what they were told in school, which completely fd up my metabolism. I ate low fat for years, and watched my metabolism plummet, without understanding why. As someone with type 2 diabetes in the family tree, that was the worst possible thing I could do for my body.

Now I have to eat low carb and watch my weight like a hawk. If I eat like a normal person OR stop exercising like a maniac, I gain 1 or 2 lbs per week, more if I eat like a normal person AND stop exercising. That's 100 lbs per year -> instant obesity. Scary shit. Luckily, my metabolism recovers a bit by taking high potency probiotics and by doing CrossFit regularly. I get excited and consider it a miracle from God when I can get away with 2 desserts in a week without gaining weight. So I'm currently at a healthy weight, but only because I flip out whenever I gain weight and work my ass off to lose it again.

However, I do treat myself to relatively healthy desserts on a regular basis. For example, I've worked my way up from chocolate at 75% cocoa to 85% cocoa, yummy. It used to be too bitter for me, but now I actually prefer it that way because it's soooo rich and chocolatey. I also buy these chocolate mint protein bars that are yummy, or I have strawberries in vanilla milk, tastes like strawberries and ice cream. I use sugar free vanilla cream and mix a bit with 1% milk for the vanilla milk. Low cal, low sugar, tastes like vanilla ice cream but liquid.

Sometimes I just say fuck it and eat what I want, but there is a price to pay for doing that too much. The best way is to indulge when you really want something, but in limited portions, and savor it. I do a lot of that, too, and it's fine.
    Last edited by redcheerio; 09-22-2011 at 11:32 AM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

oh come on, that's the best pic you could come up with?
    It was the closest the internet gets to wrapping my pro-ham ham argument in the Amurrican flag. Why? You gotta problem with freedom, you damn dirty hippie?!
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I go by the set point theory, that there is a point at which your body is aiming for and it's different for everyone and "metabolism" isn't a static thing. If you get too high above your set point your body ramps up NEAT or decreases your appetite or both. If you get too low your body will drop NEAT including things like body temperature, increase appetite and lethargy. Maybe you have a low set point and the cleaning ladies have a high set point. Up to 80% of the difference in weight between individuals is genetic, so up to 80% of the difference between your weight and the cleaning ladies is how your body responds to what you're eating rather than what you're eating. There is also gut bacteria to consider, there is a whole world of bacteria inside your gut and it's probably a lot different to the cleaning ladies. Certain bacteria probably burn through a lot of that sugar.

This is all based on journals and stuff I've read online so perhaps it's all bollocks.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    High NEAT means you burn a lot of calories naturally without having to exercise, so you're actually proving his point.

I used to have super high NEAT and could eat whatever I wanted, now I have low NEAT.

After gaining a few beer pounds in college, I started eating low-fat high-carb, as the retarded doctors like to recommend because it's what they were told in school, which completely fd up my metabolism. I ate low fat for years, and watched my metabolism plummet, without understanding why. As someone with type 2 diabetes in the family tree, that was the worst possible thing I could do for my body.

Now I have to eat low carb and watch my weight like a hawk. If I eat like a normal person OR stop exercising like a maniac, I gain 1 or 2 lbs per week, more if I eat like a normal person AND stop exercising. That's 100 lbs per year -> instant obesity. Scary shit. Luckily, my metabolism recovers a bit by taking high potency probiotics and by doing CrossFit regularly. I get excited and consider it a miracle from God when I can get away with 2 desserts in a week without gaining weight. So I'm currently at a healthy weight, but only because I flip out whenever I gain weight and work my ass off to lose it again.

However, I do treat myself to relatively healthy desserts on a regular basis. For example, I've worked my way up from chocolate at 75% cocoa to 85% cocoa, yummy. It used to be too bitter for me, but now I actually prefer it that way because it's soooo rich and chocolatey. I also buy these chocolate mint protein bars that are yummy, or I have strawberries in vanilla milk, tastes like strawberries and ice cream. I use sugar free vanilla cream and mix a bit with 1% milk for the vanilla milk. Low cal, low sugar, tastes like vanilla ice cream but liquid.

Sometimes I just say fuck it and eat what I want, but there is a price to pay for doing that too much. The best way is to indulge when you really want something, but in limited portions, and savor it. I do a lot of that, too, and it's fine.
    NEAT isn't basal metabolic rate. It's a way of saying "burn calories FROM moving around in a day (excluding formal exercise)". BMR is what's just genetic - what you get just existing.

But holy crap. That sucks how militant you have to be about your weight. I don't know how you do it. Blech!

On that note, perhaps you should change your signature and username.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

NEAT isn't basal metabolic rate. It's a way of saying "burn calories FROM moving around in a day (excluding formal exercise)". BMR is what's just genetic - what you get just existing.

But holy crap. That sucks how militant you have to be about your weight. I don't know how you do it. Blech!

On that note, perhaps you should change your signature and username.
    Oops, sorry, my bad. I only read the first few sentences.

Yeah, it's really fn annoying because I thought I was doing the right thing by eating low fat, but instead I ruined my previously-awesome metabolism. Thankfully I've managed to recover it a bit over the last while. I've also discovered that there is a lot of healthy food I actually really like, so it isn't so bad. I love fish and veggies, and I never get fat eating that.

And yeah, I guess my sig is kind of ironic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I go by the set point theory, that there is a point at which your body is aiming for and it's different for everyone and "metabolism" isn't a static thing. If you get too high above your set point your body ramps up NEAT or decreases your appetite or both. If you get too low your body will drop NEAT including things like body temperature, increase appetite and lethargy. Maybe you have a low set point and the cleaning ladies have a high set point. Up to 80% of the difference in weight between individuals is genetic, so up to 80% of the difference between your weight and the cleaning ladies is how your body responds to what you're eating rather than what you're eating. There is also gut bacteria to consider, there is a whole world of bacteria inside your gut and it's probably a lot different to the cleaning ladies. Certain bacteria probably burn through a lot of that sugar.

This is all based on journals and stuff I've read online so perhaps it's all bollocks.
    Usually, gaining weight will raise your set point, making it difficult to lose that weight again. I think it is possible to lower it again, but really difficult. It's also the reason you have to be militant about *keeping* weight off once lost, otherwise, you'll just gain it all back again in a blink. It takes time and work to reset the set point. So maintaining for awhile is almost as difficult as losing the weight, because the body is trying to gain it back again.

It's true about gut bacteria, and it's the reason why I need to take extra strong probiotics to maintain my weight and metabolism.

I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid, so started off on the wrong foot by going on antibiotics many times. I think it probably caught up to me in uni the time I went to Oktoberfest 3 or 4 times in one weekend against the doc's recommendations while taking antibiotics for strep throat or something like that, haha. So there's that, too. Now I avoid antibiotics, even when I get bronchitis. I know how to detect the early signals, and I can recover with liquid Nyquil by sleeping all day and all night.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

OMG.

Raw almond butter. 6 net carbs for the whole fucking jar. Nothing but raw almonds.

I'm a happy cat!

SO recommended to anyone weaning off of junk food, this is like eating a gourmet dessert AAAAAAH!

3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    You must be an ectomorph OP. Superfast metabolic rate. So far for me 2 years on the atkins diet and beautifully well maintained I believe. I was a sugar addict like yourself though I believe worse. About 7 chocolate bars, 2 large bags of crisps, 5 cokes and quarter of a nutella jar per day. Tis non-existent anymore... except the cokes are switched to it's diet versions.
    I have to say Oaky, you're ever so fun when you DO eat chocolate.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I have to say Oaky, you're ever so fun when you DO eat chocolate.
    Chocolate is always, always trying my mental state against me. Bugger being an ex-chocoholic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Chocolate is always, always trying my mental state against me. Bugger being an ex-chocoholic.
    Have you tried switching to super dark chocolate so that you can get your chocolate fix in a small amount, and it is actually somewhat healthy?

I think I started at 68% cocoa, then 70-75%, now I eat chocolate at 85% cocoa, and actually prefer it that way. I've become a chocolate snob and the regular kind is too sweet. And since it's so strong, I get my fill in a small amount. Also, it isn't addictive like milk chocolate is, because it is low in sugar.

Good quality dark chocolate is also more flavorful. Like wine, the taste of the chocolate depends on the nutrients in the soil where the cocoa beans were grown. Volcanic soil, like in Madagascar, gives the chocolate a subtle fruity flavor, like red berries. I recommend trying some high quality Madagascar chocolate. Maybe start with 65% cocoa, see how you like it.

Also, be sure to buy it somewhere that sells a lot of it. Sometimes little corner shops will sell it and it will be stale. Blech. Lindt and Ghirardelli are both pretty easy to find in grocery stores, and their dark chocolate is quite good considering how inexpensive it is.