• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypC Stop Eating S*** Challenge

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you tried switching to super dark chocolate so that you can get your chocolate fix in a small amount, and it is actually somewhat healthy?

I think I started at 68% cocoa, then 70-75%, now I eat chocolate at 85% cocoa, and actually prefer it that way. I've become a chocolate snob and the regular kind is too sweet. And since it's so strong, I get my fill in a small amount. Also, it isn't addictive like milk chocolate is, because it is low in sugar.

Good quality dark chocolate is also more flavorful. Like wine, the taste of the chocolate depends on the nutrients in the soil where the cocoa beans were grown. Volcanic soil, like in Madagascar, gives the chocolate a subtle fruity flavor, like red berries. I recommend trying some high quality Madagascar chocolate. Maybe start with 65% cocoa, see how you like it.

Also, be sure to buy it somewhere that sells a lot of it. Sometimes little corner shops will sell it and it will be stale. Blech. Lindt and Ghirardelli are both pretty easy to find in grocery stores, and their dark chocolate is quite good considering how inexpensive it is.
Oh yes. For a time I've replaced the initial chocolate consumption with dark chocolate and I've consumed quite the amount within the given time. There had also been a negotiation with a chocolatier to reduce the sugar content of the chocolate which made things a bit more wonderful. Was no trouble at all. I've mostly taken dark chocolate on an average of 75-85% cocoa I believe.

The rich sweetness of milk chocolate being far too sweet to be able to enjoy is understood. Though it was greatly unfortunate that I went back into it when there had been a lack of dark chocolate at a particular time and the only available ones were milk chocolate. I gave in to the cravings. Felt something must be taken at the time and so I'd went and gotten myself out of the dark chocolate loop I'd been maintaining

At the current moment I don't take chocolate at all. I went cold turkey on the stuff quite a while ago. I'd be slightly frightened to fall back into it.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Oh yes. For a time I've replaced the initial chocolate consumption with dark chocolate and I've consumed quite the amount within the given time. There had also been a negotiation with a chocolatier to reduce the sugar content of the chocolate which made things a bit more wonderful. Was no trouble at all. I've mostly taken dark chocolate on an average of 75-85% cocoa I believe.

The rich sweetness of milk chocolate being far too sweet to be able to enjoy is understood. Though it was greatly unfortunate that I went back into it when there had been a lack of dark chocolate at a particular time and the only available ones were milk chocolate. I gave in to the cravings. Felt something must be taken at the time and so I'd went and gotten myself out of the dark chocolate loop I'd been maintaining

At the current moment I don't take chocolate at all. I went cold turkey on the stuff quite a while ago. I'd be slightly frightened to fall back into it.

Oh wow, that's unfortunate. I'm at the point where I don't think I could go back to milk chocolate, especially the cheap kind you see everywhere. But I've always been able to find dark chocolate, so who knows what would happen if I went for a long time with milk chocolate as the only option. We have an entire section in the fridge filled with dark chocolate. :laugh: I can see why you've decided to avoid it altogether, though.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
blecch. I hate dark chocolate. Milk or white chocolate for me, please! :)

EDIT: hanging in there, just craving Panda Express orange chicken, but not badly.

How are you guys doing, for those who are on board?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh wow, that's unfortunate. I'm at the point where I don't think I could go back to milk chocolate, especially the cheap kind you see everywhere. But I've always been able to find dark chocolate, so who knows what would happen if I went for a long time with milk chocolate as the only option. We have an entire section in the fridge filled with dark chocolate. :laugh: I can see why you've decided to avoid it altogether, though.
You put great envy in me with your wonderful dark chocolate section in the fridge. Perhaps if I ever decide to go into my indulgence of chocolate again I'll prepare a similar setting for preparation.

How are you guys doing, for those who are on board?
I believe it's all been quite good. I've mainly had chicken (single chinese order), coffee and almonds today. Nothing too fancy. No sugars except for possible slight bit of added sugar with the chinese food I suppose.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Probably, sugar is a good source for a fast energy. If that's mostly what you are surviving on, your metabolism is fueled 24/7, but your body is mal-nourished. Hence the underweight, unless she is one of those people who will be 110 their entire life.

Eating properly will replenish nourishment, and cause her to gain healthy weight and muscle tone. Any other sugar or fat, will be stored.

My mom was like this when she was young. If you eat NOTHING but junk food (rather than eating junk food on top of meals, which is what makes most people overweight) you can indeed be underweight. It's because of the lack of nutrition and surprisingly little calories you're consuming if you don't eat your meals properly and only eat sugary snacks.

However, it can be dangerous to do so. It's called being "skinny fat." You can get away with it while young, but this is part of the reason why a very thin person can end up with high cholesterol or other health problems. They've actually found fat between the internal organs of some people who look very slim.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
You put great envy in me with your wonderful dark chocolate section in the fridge. Perhaps if I ever decide to go into my indulgence of chocolate again I'll prepare a similar setting for preparation.

Uh, sorry? Or... you're welcome? :thinking: :laugh:

If you do, Lindt/Lindor has a good 70% bar and a good 85% bar; Ghirardelli has a good 75%(?) and a delicious 85% bar; and Trader Joe's has good 72% and 85% bars. The Trader Joe's bars come in a black wrapper with red (72%) or purple (85%) zigzags on them. Lindt and Ghirardelli bars can be found in most grocery stores.

You can also find gourmet dark chocolate online. And if any of your friends go to Madagascar, ask them to bring you back some good quality dark chocolate.

:drool:

If you live in a big city, you can also find specialty stores that sell high quality dark chocolate. There's one in San Francisco that has Taste Test Tuesdays! :happy2:

I believe it's all been quite good. I've mainly had chicken (single chinese order), coffee and almonds today. Nothing too fancy. No sugars except for possible slight bit of added sugar with the chinese food I suppose.

Careful with the Chinese food! It usually has way more carbs and sugar than you could ever imagine. Look it up before eating it, it will have more than you thought possible!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uh, sorry? Or... you're welcome? :thinking: :laugh:

If you do, Lindt/Lindor has a good 70% bar and a good 85% bar; Ghirardelli has a good 75%(?) and a delicious 85% bar; and Trader Joe's has good 72% and 85% bars. The Trader Joe's bars come in a black wrapper with red (72%) or purple (85%) zigzags on them. Lindt and Ghirardelli bars can be found in most grocery stores.

You can also find gourmet dark chocolate online. And if any of your friends go to Madagascar, ask them to bring you back some good quality dark chocolate.

:drool:

If you live in a big city, you can also find specialty stores that sell high quality dark chocolate. There's one in San Francisco that has Taste Test Tuesdays! :happy2:
I am familiar with Lindt. In my dark chocolate phase I'd take the one with the mint flavour added. Quite liked those. I've taken the 85% cocoa bars whenever the mint was not around. I've seen the ghirardellis but have not given it a try. Never seen trader joes I believe.

Yes, I've got my different options of specialty stores for chocolate and it would certainly be fun with an experimenting of the different types. Towards a future.

Careful with the Chinese food! It usually has way more carbs and sugar than you could ever imagine. Look it up before eating it, it will have more than you thought possible!
Hmmm, I'll certainly have a look. Made me a bit conscious of the matter. Might have to cut chinese out for good if things don't go too well.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am familiar with Lindt. In my dark chocolate phase I'd take the one with the mint flavour added. Quite liked those. I've taken the 85% cocoa bars whenever the mint was not around. I've seen the ghirardellis but have not given it a try. Never seen trader joes I believe.

Yes, I've got my different options of specialty stores for chocolate and it would certainly be fun with an experimenting of the different types. Towards a future.

Hmmm, I'll certainly have a look. Made me a bit conscious of the matter. Might have to cut chinese out for good if things don't go too well.

If you want to go sugarless, you just have to AVOID restaurants, period. They put sugar in some form or another on the simplest things. EVERYTHNG is contaminated with the shit. It's like the crack sugar industry has deployed mafiosos in every kitchen, holding a gun to every cook's head, forcing them to sprinkle sugar as they cook. I can't think of any other explanation.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally though, I'm going HARDCORE.

No fruits.
No starch, except in nuts. Not even legumes or beans.
No artificial sweeteners
No natural sweeteners
No more chewable kids vitamins (pill form now)
No sweetened toothpaste (got Tom's of Maine unsweetened kind)
No sweet veggies like carrots

Basically, I taste absolutely NOTHING sweet untl I pull this sweet tooth right out from the root.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

No fruits.
No artificial sweeteners
No natural sweeteners

Basically, I taste absolutely NOTHING sweet untl I pull this sweet tooth right out from the root.

Jeebus lady, that is hardcore!

Whoaa...

Well, day 2 of no sugar passed through me as easy as a morning bowel movement.

Let's see what 2 more days feels like! :D

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I FAILED.

:cry:

I gobbled down a packet of beef jerky without checking that...the bag has 15g of sugar. :boohoo:

Very tempted to just yak that right out right now and pretend it never happened, but I won't.

God damn it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I FAILED.

I gobbled down a packet of beef jerky without checking that...the bag has 15g of sugar. :sorry:

Don't worry, there are plenty of types of beef jerky. Most have like...zero carbs. And low fat. And high protein.

Try plain or the peppered flavor next time.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't scrap your goal for a minor setback. :nono:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

No fruits.
No artificial sweeteners
No natural sweeteners

I don't think avoiding fruit is healthy, but if your sweet tooth is THAT bad, the "induction phase" might actually help you for a short period of time.

I do not suggest it long term.

However, sourdough bread generally has zero grams of sugar, though it still has "good" carbs.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh also beans are good for you...I can't believe you're avoiding beans and you're underweight.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't worry, there are plenty of types of beef jerky. Most have like...zero carbs. And low fat. And high protein.

Try plain or the peppered flavor next time.

I got the plain organic jerky at Trader Joes.

Sugar mafia, I tell you. Sugar. Fucking. MAFIA!!

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think avoiding fruit is healthy, but if your sweet tooth is THAT bad, the "induction phase" might actually help you for a short period of time.

I do not suggest it long term.

However, sourdough bread generally has zero grams of sugar, though it still has "good" carbs.

Trying to avoid grains. I'm going at it paleo style (hence no beans or legumes).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Next time buy the regular non-organic kind you can get at your convenience store.

I'm pretty hip to these things because I did low carb for a while, and I do now see the wisdom in "good carb"...i.e. things like beans, sourdough or whole grain bread, brown rice, and fruit.

If you completely deprive yourself of even good carbs it can be unhealthy. It's just a quick fix for weight loss...like...I need to jump start my diet, or fit into this dress for a special event or meet this person.

Or in your case, it might work to break your sugar craving.

I am a more "savory" person...I haz craving cheeseburgers and hummus with olive oil and roast chicken with carmelized onions and potatoes and a plate of olives and artichokes and YES...I like dark chocolate and red wine.

I'm actually pretty lucky, in that sense, ironically. I crave fat and salt not sugar. LULZ. Yeah...

But don't delete all carbs for too long. It's really NOT good for you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh...also beware things that say things like "less fat" or whatever...a lot of times those things have moar sugar...and by sugar I don't mean good carbs but white refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I FAILED.

I gobbled down a packet of beef jerky without checking that...the bag has 15g of sugar. :boohoo:

Very tempted to just yak that right out right now and pretend it never happened, but I won't.

God damn it.

You'll be fine, don't worry about it. Just keep going, you're doing great!