User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

If you're coming off sweets, remember: coffee with cream cures all. Or blueberries with cream. Or just cream in general.

To be honest, since I've had particularly bad experiences with sugar and gluten in the past, I'm quite proud of myself that the only real vice I have at the moment is dark chocolate; 85%+. And I don't "have" to eat it all the time; in fact, I can leave it lying around and not care about it.

Somewhat unfortunately, I'm going on a trip to Belgium in two weeks. "Somewhat" because it's a set meal-plan, and most of the meals are gluten-carb-city. I didn't want to tell them that I'm kinda gluten intolerant, either. I'm only mildly intolerant, and it won't have looked good when they saw me ordering Belgian waffles with icecream. I'm sorry, but if you're going to Belgium and are not Celiac, you're gonna order Belgian waffles. (unless you don't like them, or are trying to go cold turkey)

Eh, what the hell. I'm rambling. Good luck cutting out the shit! And remember: sugar feeds cancer cells!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

So, after having to go off gluten, I found that I wanted other kinds of junk food because I felt left out. However, now I have quit Coke entirely (I was drinking two cans a day before) for 6 months so far and I have quit chips. Other carbonated drinks don't really interest me. I was on a flavoured popcorn and then corn chips kick, but awareness about GMO stuff and having enough of it has let me comfortably let go of that. I used to drink one or two cups of hot chocolate a day, but after discovering a mild intolerance to milk that makes me react by gaining water weight, it was easy to let that go. So now, I guess the next thing to tackle is chocolate and those tasty Starbuck chocolate coffee drinks. At that point, I will have run out of anything that interests me. I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?
    I cut out all drinks except water and protein smoothies and all desserts.
    When it comes to dessert, I usually opt for a fruit option or just say I don't feel like dessert and not make a big deal about it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm pretty good at refusing desserts. It's more doing stuff together that involves imbibing sweets while we're out. Buying a banana to eat while they have DQ or Starbucks doesn't work for me.

Glycerine

What about those yogurt and granola parfaits (I have lactose intolerance but I tend not to react to yogurt as much) that coffee shops tend to sell or just bringing your own treat? In the end, it's your life and if you don't make a big deal about it, than I don't think others will care.

I mean aren't outings like that usually more about socializing/having fun and eating is just an added bonus?

The Warm Muzzle of Mole

So, after having to go off gluten, I found that I wanted other kinds of junk food because I felt left out. However, now I have quit Coke entirely (I was drinking two cans a day before) for 6 months so far and I have quit chips. Other carbonated drinks don't really interest me. I was on a flavoured popcorn and then corn chips kick, but awareness about GMO stuff and having enough of it has let me comfortably let go of that. I used to drink one or two cups of hot chocolate a day, but after discovering a mild intolerance to milk that makes me react by gaining water weight, it was easy to let that go. So now, I guess the next thing to tackle is chocolate and those tasty Starbuck chocolate coffee drinks. At that point, I will have run out of anything that interests me. I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?
    God knows I am the last person to advise you Fidelia, but if we eat delicious fresh food, there is no room for junk.

For instance, I have a whole papaya, cut and filled with lemon juice and blueberries, every day. This leaves me delightfully full and nourished and I have no desire for junk.

And most of all my fruit lunch leave me alkaline rather than acidic, which leaves me mellow.

And interestingly it is sugar that leaves us acidic and on edge.

I know I shouldn't advise you, and I know I am tempting fate, but just imagine it is the warm muzzle of Mole whispering in your ear.

I want to stop eating greasy food.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

@ Glycerine- I used to think that, but not drinking alcohol, pop, dairy or eating fried foods or gluten does make it harder. Maybe it's just a lot of changes in a short time, but I discovered that sharing food together is a more integral part of socializing than you'd think. Many people take it personally when you bring your own stuff to potlucks or to their house, and what places you can eat at together change a bit. Multicultural festivals are not the same without food. It's hard sometimes not to kind of grieve the loss of that. I never realized how central food and drink are to spending time with people and creating memories together until my health forced the issue.

Add to that allergies to dogs, cats and most farm animals and I find myself dreading adding more to the list of what would separate me from the people around me. I don't want to be perceived as one of THOSE people.

Dear Mole, I agree with you entirely. And at home that's not a big hardship. The problem is more when Igo out. I've been guzzling veggie juice like crazy this year and find it both filling and alkalizing.

Add to that allergies to dogs, cats and most farm animals and I find myself dreading adding more to the list of what would separate me from the people around me. I don't want to be perceived as one of THOSE people.
    I can understand dogs and cats and farm animals but surely not Moles. Don't for God's sake add me to the list.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Haven't encountered enough close up to rightly know. Just to be on the safe side, you'd better change your name back to Victor...