User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

My problem is that while I need to cut back on sweets (diabeetus!), I love baking them! I mean, it's kind of theraputic. I need to find some skinny people to feed my cakes and cookies and brownies to.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Veganist-Weigh.../dp/1602861331 and it's making a lot of sense to me. I've never felt great about eating meat, especially with the way we raise and slaughter animals in this country, and if I can focus on the health benefits of a plant-based diet in general, I think eating junk food will become a lot less appealing to me.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm swearing off sh*** today. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I had a cinnamon roll and 4 chocolate chip coookies equivalent of cookie dough. I felt like crap that evening and then started feeling very odd, almost like I drank a lot of Nyquil. Well, that Nyquil moment was actually pretty cool.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Oh no, I think you guys misunderstood - I eat those snacks IN ADDITION to my normal meals. Here's my most common diet:

Breakfast:
    - 3 large waffles, heavily buttered on both sides
    - Glass of rice milk

(chips/candy snacks)

Lunch
    - Panda Express; two servings of orange chicken and chow mein
    - Mrs. Fields cookie

(chips/candy snack)

Dinner
    - Package of wheat free creme-filled oreos...I mean a family sized package.
    - Large salad drenched in olive oil, avocado, anything fatty
    - 5 spicy Tijuana Mama pickled slim jim sausages
    - a pint of dairy-free soy ice cream
    - glass of rice milk

Usually a few candy bars right before I sleep.

This is my DAILY diet, mind you. Good thing I have a high income, because I cost a friggin fortune to feed.

See what I mean about needing to eat healthier?
    What the....

Okay, Ms. Ectomorph, good luck with that for sure. How's it going?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

From this point on, I am NOT going to eat ANYTHING with sugar in it - except gluten-free carbs and fruit. I want to stop being a sugarwhore and crack the addiction.

It's been ridiculous. Who the fuck eats 3 bags of chips and 5 white chocolate candy bars a day, every day? A sugar whore does. I may be underweight, but it's still not good for me.

I'm going cold turkey because I heard that after a certain number of days, you no longer even crave it.

But some sources say 3 days, others say 30 days. . .

What kinds of shit do YOU want to stop devouring?
    Good for you! I highly recommend it.

I went off all processed sweeteners 5 months ago. Now I just have a tablespoon of raw local honey in my (extra black) coffee each day and that's it for me. I love it.

I had cravings for probably the first 3 weeks, but I also felt like I was starving for most of that time, and had a horrible headache for the first week (withdrawl's a bitch). After that I was fine. It helps that I think processed sweeteners are poison. Well, they're like alcohol, you know? A little bit (like in fruit or raw honey/maple syrup) can be good for you, but any more than that is NOT good for you. And it's addictive.

As for kinds of shit I still consume and want to stop: YAHOO "news". I'm fairly certain I get dumber each time I go to the home page, and my mental health declines when I click on one of those "articles", and it wastes time and does nothing good for me. It's shit for your brain. Really need to give it up.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

Im sure GG Allin would have something to say about this topic.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Oh no, I think you guys misunderstood - I eat those snacks IN ADDITION to my normal meals. Here's my most common diet:

Breakfast:
    - 3 large waffles, heavily buttered on both sides
    - Glass of rice milk

(chips/candy snacks)

Lunch
    - Panda Express; two servings of orange chicken and chow mein
    - Mrs. Fields cookie

(chips/candy snack)

Dinner
    - Package of wheat free creme-filled oreos...I mean a family sized package.
    - Large salad drenched in olive oil, avocado, anything fatty
    - 5 spicy Tijuana Mama pickled slim jim sausages
    - a pint of dairy-free soy ice cream
    - glass of rice milk

Usually a few candy bars right before I sleep.

This is my DAILY diet, mind you. Good thing I have a high income, because I cost a friggin fortune to feed.

See what I mean about needing to eat healthier?
    I wonder how your progress is now? ...

Dear God seeing this menu makes my tummy hurt... If I ate that much sugar I'd have a kid-on-halloween tummy ache for sure..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    xxTP

I grew up with cheese and red meat every day but now I am learning from the Cuban diet:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...d-8566603.html

MBTI
    ISTP

Not eating unhealthy food has a lot more to do with what you do eat than what you don't. You can either fight temptation every single time you have the option to eat something unhealthy, but there is a better way and that consists of 2 things:

1) Proactively eating healthy food first

This is why I say it's more about what you eat than what you don't. The key here is response time. If your diet was a house, your apetite would be your house on fire and the sooner the fire department comes, the less damage is done. The same applies to eating healthy and that is why you need to be proactive. Plan on being hungry and keep your diet solution simple.

When you start to think about icecream or cheeseburgers and can't get it off your mind, immediately go eat a salad, a piece of fruit, or at the very least drink a glass or two of water. After you eat it, it doesnt matter how good or bad it tasted, all you will remember is how full or hungry you are. Ironically, unhealthy food often spends hours in your digestive system and can be uncomfortable to digest, yet that is what we prefer only if for a few seconds of a good taste. Healthy food, on the other hand, helps our digestive system and feels good for hours after we've eaten it. On some level, you know this, so this step is merely the practical application of that knowledge--skip the mental wrestling match over how good that donut would taste and skip to having healthy food in your stomach as fast as possible, and you'll find you can conquer your cravings much easier.

2) Change the palette of what you feel like eating

This often comes with weeks or even months of eating better and it's all about our relationship with food. If you're like me, the problem is when we believe the purpose of food is to taste good, not to nourish us. You need to start eating healthy first and eventually you'll start to find you prefer healthy food anyways. The reason this happens is because over time, we subconsciously realize that the good feeling we have after eating healthy food is more desirable than a few moments of pleasure.

Have you ever gotten sick after eating something, and later find that the smell or taste of a similar essence will make you nauseous? (For me, it is artificial strawberry thanks to strawberry Smirnoff... I'll let you imagine the circumstances). Our subconscious remembers what it thinks is good and bad for us and tailors our palette to eat more "good" things and avoid the "bad" ones. Obviously, the pure energy of sugary or fatty foods bode well with our brain's survival mechanism, but we know better over the long run.

To set this subconscious, biological change in motion, you must first change your attitude about food. Instead of thinking about how good it tastes all the time, you want to break down what you're really getting when you dig in. This is a skill that takes time to learn, but eventually it will help you choose more quality food. Start by breaking it down into the major ingredients of what's in it... if you don't know and have access to the nutritional information, the ingredients are listed in order of which is used the most... 95% or more of what the food is can usually be found in the first 5 ingredients listed.

Now, instead of seeing a juicy fast-food cheeseburger, you're getting processed white flour bun, processed milk fat/cheese, sodium-heavy condiments, and a processed soy-meat patty. The only valuable part in terms of nutrition is the onions and lettuce. As soon as I finish eating it, I'm going to be absorbing a whole lot of empty carbohydrates and grease, some of which is going to drain itself through my intestines and into the toilet. Mmm, that sounds sooo tempting, doesn't it? On the other hand, I could choose a salad. When I do that, I just imagine all that leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, and nuts being absorbed into my system and it's hard to not want that more than the cheeseburger. I'm not saying cheeseburgers wouldn't taste better... but by changing my attitude about what food's purpose is, eventually it's easier to choose healthy options and that habit will make your diet very doable.

It's a matter of momentum and the first few weeks are a lot of work, but once you're consistently ingesting high quality, nutritious foods, you'll find it's even easier not to feel like you just gotta have that junkfood you see on TV.

Glycerine

I am limiting chips, snacks (other than the occasional fruit if I am still hungry), dessert, flavored drinks, and hopefully fast food. I slipped up once or twice but doing pretty good after two weeks.