• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no self discipline and losing 20 lbs

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so I want to be 120 and I'm 140. Though I'm not fat and 110 is the smallest I can be before my BMI is too low according to my doctor (I found this out when I got so stressed junior year in highschool and just totally forgot to eat) I need to be 120 I feel disgusting at 140. Yet I have no self discipline so anyone have any suggestions for self discipline and healthy ways to lose weight.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
*faints*

I don't even think I could make it to 140 if I starved myself (before dying, that is).

Get accustomed to small meal sizes, adjust intake to your activity level (low = less, high = more, but still not too much), and just do more active stuff. I'm semi-stabilized at 170, down from 190 about 2 months ago, but I usually fluctuate wildly, so I could be way off on both of these. Read containers and learn what they consider a serving size, too. Cut soda out entirely, or at least mostly. Avoid things with HFCS.

Don't stock stuff that's bad for you (greasy/sugary/salty/bread/etc). I don't care for most things that are bad for me, so this is easy, but for many it's not quite so easy. Fruits and vegetables should be a major portion of your diet. Personally, I like buying fruits freeze-dried because then they're easier to carry, taste good, and don't go bad as quickly.

One of the many objectives I met by moving was living close enough to places I go that walking is easier and driving seems like a hassle, forcing me to walk further to/from the car, adding stairs to my routes, etc. It's really awesome. On Sunday I literally walked out my door, down the stairs to the ground level, out of the building, and across the street for dinner. Then I walked back. It was cool.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Take the stairs...park father away...eat a big breakfast.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I walk everywhere already as I don't have a car. I could probably eat better but its so easy to eat conveince food when you're on your own I should probably coook some healthy meals put in tupperware and then the freezer and have it perfectly portioned and that way I can control how much salt and ect goes into a dish.

9 stories up in a high rise? I can work up to that.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Eat 5-6 meals a day. Not only is it healthier, but it will curb your hunger and you'll have less cravings for unhealthy food. Eat breakfast.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Two suggestions:

1) develop a taste for healthy food and fill up on that. fruits and veggies, you know? moreso the veggies. find some new recipes if you hate healthy food, cause it can be so delicious. And if you eat 95% healthy food you don't really have to worry about what you eat, hence no self-descipline is required. IF you're fairly active, bringing me to 2:

2) find some activity that's fun for you and sign up for a class/team for a few months in advance...so you've already paid and committed to being there every week or whatever. The more intense, the better, but anything helps. Anything from soccer to pilates to martial arts. I hear kickboxing is awesomely fun and gives you a great workout, but I've never tried it.

Being physically active + eating many small meal, making sure you eat breakfast, should make your metabolism run a bit faster.

edit: oh and pop = the devil. Pretty much anything else that's 99% sugar too, for that matter. Pop just makes it really easy to drink so much sugar without feeling sick.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
anyone want to possess me and do this for me?

My main problem is not excersing I eat small frequent meals though I could eat healthier. MY mom described me as a snacker growing up, as she could not get me too eat a whole plate of food in a setting but I would snack on it through out the day.

though I'm beginning to notice that I've been eating more in a setting then I use to, which could be my main problem

and I do eat breakfast I have coffee and cereal everyday.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
what random said.

People are used to whatever they eat. SUgar, fat and salt are quite addictive, but you get used to being mostly without them after a period of about one month. Then, the rest of your life will be easy.

You don't have to be completely without them to gain the benefits.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
KNOW that you can reach your goal and relatively easily. That should be motivation enough. It seems you know what needs to be done in regards to your diet and exercise. So get on it! :cool:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
so I want to be 120 and I'm 140. Though I'm not fat and 110 is the smallest I can be before my BMI is too low according to my doctor (I found this out when I got so stressed junior year in highschool and just totally forgot to eat) I need to be 120 I feel disgusting at 140. Yet I have no self discipline so anyone have any suggestions for self discipline and healthy ways to lose weight.

Read self-discipline in 10 days.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
the biggest thing that helped me lose 20 pounds was laying off the booze, junk food and sodas. I also started exercising. These things may help you as well.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^

What she said. Alcohol has a lot of calories. Junk food, especially the starchy kind, can also pack on pounds.

Wolf has good advice too as a dieter.

I like walking everywhere. Walking briskly helps. Drink lots of water. And stock your kitchen with stuff like apples. Snack on popcorn. If you must drink soda and junk food, get zero calorie/diet soda and buy diet microwave meals. Most people drink their calories, so I'd try to drink coffee black or with nonfat milk and cut out soda and "juice" altogether. Water is your bff. And accept now that sometimes you will eat stuff you have no actual appetite for or have cravings that you must deny. People who say dieting is easy either don't like food or are lying...or are raging hippies and like eating like a rabbit.

I was in a similar boat as you as I dropped from 150+ to 130. I'm already on the lower end for my BMI but BMI doesn't take into account build and composition. I think in order to be fashionably thin, I'd need to hover in the low 120s next you! This is my plateau though, so unless I want to get on an actual 'diet' again this is where I stay.

I think you've hit your plateau + you've added some bad habits. Bad habits creep ups slowly but surely. You're still quite young though so honestly a little bit of diet and excercise, you'll see dramatic and fast results. I was able to drop 5-10 pounds in
college no problem -- trust me, it gets harder as you get older. And you have to maintain a better lifestyle, watch your eating for the rest of your life or else you'll just gain everything back again. It takes an overall shift in your lifestyle.

Oh for walking, try getting a pedometer. It helps you keep track and stay focused. I was inspired loosely by the '1000 steps' diet and now I just walk around a lot more.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

One thing I did for a while that worked was to fine myself for misbehavior. If you eat something that you know you shouldn't, or don't exercise when you plan to, fine yourself $10. That will soon add up. Think, it's going to cost me another $10 to eat that donut. You have to pay your fines on a regular basis for it to work. Try donating the fines to the presidential candidate that you don't like at the end of each month for added incentive.

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you sure you need to lose 20 lbs? Is it healthy for your body type and age to do so?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
One thing I did for a while that worked was to fine myself for misbehavior. If you eat something that you know you shouldn't, or don't exercise when you plan to, fine yourself $10. That will soon add up. Think, it's going to cost me another $10 to eat that donut. You have to pay your fines on a regular basis for it to work. Try donating the fines to the presidential candidate that you don't like at the end of each month for added incentive.

so pretty much I pay myself when I'm lazy? where's the motivation to exercies?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
^^

What she said. Alcohol has a lot of calories. Junk food, especially the starchy kind, can also pack on pounds.

Wolf has good advice too as a dieter.

I like walking everywhere. Walking briskly helps. Drink lots of water. And stock your kitchen with stuff like apples. Snack on popcorn. If you must drink soda and junk food, get zero calorie/diet soda and buy diet microwave meals. Most people drink their calories, so I'd try to drink coffee black or with nonfat milk and cut out soda and "juice" altogether. Water is your bff. And accept now that sometimes you will eat stuff you have no actual appetite for or have cravings that you must deny. People who say dieting is easy either don't like food or are lying...or are raging hippies and like eating like a rabbit.

I was in a similar boat as you as I dropped from 150+ to 130. I'm already on the lower end for my BMI but BMI doesn't take into account build and composition. I think in order to be fashionably thin, I'd need to hover in the low 120s next you! This is my plateau though, so unless I want to get on an actual 'diet' again this is where I stay.

I think you've hit your plateau + you've added some bad habits. Bad habits creep ups slowly but surely. You're still quite young though so honestly a little bit of diet and excercise, you'll see dramatic and fast results. I was able to drop 5-10 pounds in
college no problem -- trust me, it gets harder as you get older. And you have to maintain a better lifestyle, watch your eating for the rest of your life or else you'll just gain everything back again. It takes an overall shift in your lifestyle.

Oh for walking, try getting a pedometer. It helps you keep track and stay focused. I was inspired loosely by the '1000 steps' diet and now I just walk around a lot more.
the juice I really only drink is 100% organic, not because I'm some weird organic food snob but because that's what I like, and what I grew up on. other stuff is too much sugar. I also like the no sugar added cranberries (like crangrape, cranapple, etc)

the only thing I don't like in this situation is cutting out alcohol.