• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no self discipline and losing 20 lbs

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's not alcohol, it's actually beer, wine, and other crap, but especially beer. There's a good reason they call it a "beer belly".

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I've known alkies who drop 10-15 lbs like *snap* when they stop drinking for a month or three. Not kidding.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
It's not alcohol, it's actually beer, wine, and other crap, but especially beer. There's a good reason they call it a "beer belly".

Yep. I don't drink as much as I did in college. But I used to joke that I had a six pack of Heineken

narticus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for the info, Carebear.

A big key for me was making weight loss a long-term project rather than a gung-ho, X pounds in X weeks mentality. Small changes are easier to make than big ones (at least for me).

In July 2006 I was over 30% body fat and expanding daily. Now my body fat percentage is in the low teens and still decreasing. I still eat almost exactly what I was eating back then. No diets. No counting grams of this or calories of that.

It started out simply enough: going for a two-mile walk around sunset a couple of evenings a week. I found that I enjoyed the 30 minutes away from the TV, the internet, the cell phone, etc. The pounds did not start flying off; in fact, I was still adding weight (though more slowly). This one, simple change, however, had a dramatic effect: since I enjoyed the walk enough to make time for it, I learned that I wasn’t too busy to exercise. That realization was a life-changing event.

I started mixing in a little more challenge when my routine started feeling routine. Maybe 30 minutes became 45, or three workouts a week became four, or the pace increased, or I replaced one exercise with a slightly more challenging one. I never made a big jump at one time, just increased the challenge a little at a time every four to six weeks.

Less than two years ago, a two mile walk two nights a week was challenging. Now it’s roughly 90 weeks later, and I work out six to eight times a week for a lot longer than 30 minutes and at a much higher intensity than walking. I’m stronger. I’m leaner. I have tons more energy. I can get away with drinking more beer. And it all happened just a little bit at a time.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
So what is the character limit for a post? My reply keeps getting cut off.

I think it's a matter of avoiding fancy letters and signs. Or post, then paste your whole post into "edit". That works.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
it is important to understand that the body's energy storage mechanism is not the obscurity most people make it out to be... there is relatively simple math behind it, and if you follow the math, you will lose weight unless you have something seriously wrong with you. most people fail here... not following very basic concepts and then placing the blame elsewhere, vying for fad diets, etc.

with that in mind, reaching your target weight doesnt have to seem so daunting... perhaps far off, yes, but attainable at a slow, sure pace. you can tell yourself "im going to eat healthy/exercise today, as i did yesterday and as i will do tomorrow, because if i do then i simply cannot fail"

BMR Calculator

find your BMR and multiply by 1.2. if you do any activity out of the ordinary, look up the calories burned per hour and add that on.

carefully count how many calories you eat each day and make sure (at the very least) it is under this number.

it is not recommended to eat fewer calories than your BMR (unmultiplied) which is why it may take a while to lose weight at a healthy rate (since a sedentary person can only cut out ~17% of their calories). this is why exercise is vital--it allows you to increase the deficit. the maximum recommended is 1000 per day (2 lbs/wk) if you eat too few calories, your body will go into starvation mode and you will end up burning a higher ratio of lean body mass to fat than necessary.

that's not to say it's all numbers... you will have a tough time here if you eat a lot of empty calories.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
^^ I'm obese by body fat by the calculator above? :shock: how is that possible?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
^^ I'm obese by body fat by the calculator above? :shock: how is that possible?

some of the equations used for this topic arent terribly accurate. BMR and harris-benedict are pretty close, im not sure which you were looking at.

to find ideal weight (underweight/healthy/overweight/obese) i would suggest avoiding calculators (esp. BMI) and getting a real body-fat measurement, then compare to the ranges here

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was using the calculator where you key in weight, waist, hip, wrist, arm, and then compare it to the site's Health Check Standards ratio.

I'm going to go home and use a proper measuring tape =_=. The calculator gave me >32%.

I'm obese?! *meh*

My BMR is 1249.8.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I was using the calculator where you key in weight, waist, hip, wrist, arm, and then compare it to the site's Health Check Standards ratio.

I'm going to go home and use a proper measuring tape =_=. The calculator gave me >32%.

I'm obese?! *meh*

My BMR is 1249.8.

the best way is to have your BF% measured by a professional, then use a bioelectrical impedance analyzer to track changes. you can get them at most health/fitness stores... there are even weight scales with a BIA built-in. :yes:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If you look good, you're good. Calculatorz r t3h gh3yz.

I like drinking but I don't like liquor, at all. I like beer and cider. =/

I try not to drink that often though, so I guess it isn't such a problem.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ I did that! :holy: Professional body read at fancy gym with body composition break down - fat, muscle, bone, water, etc. Luckily I have good bones.

I thought Narticus must be a guy from the description (particularly dropping from 30% bf to teens) but then when I checked wiki about it, women's ideal body fat should be 20%? That's low, IMO and fashionably thin).

Even though my BMI and BMR are in the middle range, now I feel fat.

Thanks a lot dude. :dry:

Wait -- I was once obese? :shock: ?? :shock: ?? Damn, my parents were right! Hahahahaha. Alean, I feel your bewilderment. And I have to say, according to most east Asian standards the standards of 'overweight' and 'fat' are pretty slim and stringent. A lot of women who would honestly be considered small framed and slim, even underweight by US popular standards can still be considered chubby and will diet. Muscle tone and shape isn't important as general thinness, so severe reduction of calories is the popular way to go in my 'country of birth'.

Hahahahha, no but seriously according to the American interpretation of the bf scales, I was never obese and I am acceptable now. Ahh, nothing sounds is as ego validating and pure heavenly as hearing "You are acceptable". :blush:

Thanks though Grayscale, you have motivated me even more to go to the gym today and get to "Fitness" levels. I actually got some personal coaching sessions with my new gym membership and I'm going to use body fat levels as my goal, not weight. :cool:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
according to that site I need 1776.24 calories a day.

with BMR of 1480.2.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*mumbles*

That calculator give you a very ball park figure... it said I need under 1300Cal/day... 1300 per day is definitely not enough for me.

Yah... if you really want to know, get a body fat measurement.

If you want to lose weight... do more cardio work. (aka running, swimming etc) I believe that's the standard regime recommended for losing weight.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
If you look good, you're good.

someone may "look good", but that doesnt make them healthy by physician's standards.

I'm going to use body fat levels as my goal, not weight. :cool:

that is the way to do it! weight in lbs is not a very good indicator... especially for people that do not have an average frame or muscle mass.

also remember that if you're going to conform to standards, then dont try to compare yourself to others... the dirty secret is that everyone can be subject to the same standards and do just as poorly if not moreso than you. most people take great liberty with what is a "healthy" weight, they also tend to underestimate how many calories they eat.

a lot of people will also complain about being compared to what they consider to be unrealistically thin celebrities and such. unfortunately most of those people can afford dietitians and fitness trainers. it would be better to just accept that you dont need to be in perfect shape than to say our standard of "thin" is "too thin". some people will take it overboard and develop eating disorders, dont be one of those people. :)

lastly, i will stress that the last word here should go to your doctor, im no expert.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I hate people telling me not to compare myself to others. I'm not, when I was 120 I was happy with my weight I didn't want to weigh less I can live with 130 but no way 140. I like 120 don't ask me why but I it's a number I happen to like .

My weight I don't care what you or anyone else weighs, only what I weigh.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, it partly depends on your age group. If you're a teen, it's normal to go up to 130 (in the 11th grade and stuff). It's fine if you're a young adult too. I weigh 120 pounds, and people think I weigh about 100-90 pounds when they first look at me. Not bad at all.

Besides, if you want to lose weight, you have to have a good willpower. Go to the gym everyday, work out on a cycling machine everyday. Really, it's only going to work when you decide that you want to lose weight, and you have to stick to your decision till the end.