• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no self discipline and losing 20 lbs

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
When I am hungry... I know I'm hungry and not just thirsty... :dry: Like right now... and I check my watch... guess what? It's lunch time!

Zergling: Well that will be true if the body stores enough food to last you for just one day. That's not true though... Your liver has enough glycogen to keep you going for at least 5 days... So in essence, blood glucose fluctuation per day isn't that much and there's really no need to alter your metabolism to conserve energy.

It's like the hunger pang that goes away 2 hours past your scheduled meal time. Suddenly you're not hungry anymore... You didn't eat, yet you still keep up with your normal activity without any problems. Homeostasis. Good stuff! :yes:

Your body does accounting... checks and balances... it even has reserves set up for dare times... Too bad my body can't do my banking for me. *shakes head*

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
myth... what's important is overall rate of caloric intake vs. energy used, not how that rate is distributed throughout s 24-hour cycle.

If you don't mind me asking, do you work in/around this field? I read some of your previous posts and you sound like you have researched this before. Thanks for the info.

Rasa

MBTI Type
INFP
The Simplest Way Ever to Keep the Pounds Off

1. Limit processed foods
2. Spend 20 minutes a day in focused (but not necessarily strenuous) exercise

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Seriously, that's it. I've kept the pounds off for decades that way.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
g304.gif

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm I don't really see why you want to hit the lowest healthy bmi, what is exactly grocing you out because you are light (at least if we are talking in pounds here)

Well and if you want to lose weight do this:
1. Strength training (more muscles will make you burn more each day)
2. 2-3x per week cardio (steady hartrate, or running without breakfast in the morning)
3. Calculate your maintenance level of caloric intake and go 300-500 kcal under there. And stick to healthy food and complex carbs, use a lot of protein.
Healthy: Rice, cottage cheese, low fat yoghut, low fat milk, dark brown bread, chicken filet, lean beef etc.

Good luck, I don't want to help anyone with anorexia so first start thinking about ur self image...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
someone may "look good", but that doesnt make them healthy by physician's standards.

You don't need to be that ideal BMI number to be fit though, necessarily. You can be bulky and still run a hundred miles if you're in shape cardio wise. What I'm trying to say is, don't let that number determine your goals for yourself. If you think you need to be real slender in order to be healthy because that's what the "numbers" suggest, I'd say you're wrong. I'm on the upper end of my healthy BMI but I much prefer it to being on the lower end.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I've been fitness obsessed. It's not fun. I used to run 40 miles a week (And I mean run!), when all I needed was a quick pump for a serotonin fill.

Find the little tricks. Don't be afraid of eating healthy; you get used to it, it just becomes a different framework for good and bad (I love hazelnuts, dislike sprouts).

This looks quite good.

Go for the sex before breakfast.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
There's a difference between cardio and aerobic conditioning. Cardio is strengthening your heart/heart rate/endurance. Aerobic is steady, 'low impact', lower heart rate excercises. A good overall fitness regiment would combine both, along with strength training.

This is probably more appropriate for the ladies, but two words -- Power Walk.

You'll look like a huge dork and/or a soccer mom, but it's the best excercise for low impact conditioning and targeting fat. I know I look like a HUGE DORK when I do it, especially if I wear matching sweat bands.

Luckily, I *LIKE* looking like a dork and it is a perk to working out in public. Seriously, so much of being at the gym (especially with certain weight machines) is kinda...exhibitionist? Potentially embarassing? Might as well go for the gusto!

At least I don't make lustful grunting noises when I'm powerlifting. :dry:

Also, weight training usuallly refers to the 'long fiber'(?) muscles or strength training as opposed to fast-twitch/short fiber muscles or power. If you are interested in athletic performance, you really need to work on explosive movements, but that's something not typically covered in the gym or that non athletes cover.

And for women, it is REALLY hard to build a significant amount of muscle. There are also critics of the Pilates/yoga 'long dancer's muscles' idea and some trainers say that muscle is muscle so just do some kind (any kind) of strength training.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
There's a difference between cardio and aerobic conditioning. Cardio is strengthening your heart/heart rate/endurance. Aerobic is steady, 'low impact', lower heart rate excercises. A good overall fitness regiment would combine both, along with strength training.

I wouldn't consider them two entirely different things. There are aerobic and anaerobic forms of cardio.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
This is probably more appropriate for the ladies, but two words -- Power Walk.

You'll look like a huge dork and/or a soccer mom, but it's the best exercise for low impact conditioning and targeting fat. I know I look like a HUGE DORK when I do it, especially if I wear matching sweat bands.

You could always power walk to get somewhere, without putting on a bunch of extra equipment, assuming there is somewhere in the area to walk to.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do have a work out room in my building I should just go and do the tread mill for a half hour because I can't see myself doing much more.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
You don't need to be that ideal BMI number to be fit though, necessarily. You can be bulky and still run a hundred miles if you're in shape cardio wise. What I'm trying to say is, don't let that number determine your goals for yourself. If you think you need to be real slender in order to be healthy because that's what the "numbers" suggest, I'd say you're wrong. I'm on the upper end of my healthy BMI but I much prefer it to being on the lower end.

a very important point to realize. although, i will say again, as far as fat levels go, BMI is very inaccurate and a professional BF% should be used, along with bioelectric impedence analyzer for at-home use.

this is my viewpoint here... i see 3 reasons to monitor body fat, the first and most important is health risks... in this case, being anywhere in the healthy range is fine. this is really where having a good measurement is important. the second is the athletic aspect... unnecessary body fat will make things like running and other strenuous activity more difficult... not necessarily bad, but something to consider. the last and most popular reason is, obviously, for appearances, which you dont need a measurement for, except to make sure you stay ABOVE the minimum recommended BF% regardless of how you may think you look.

"in-shape" is not synonymous with having low body fat, it is how well developed your cardiovascular system is, especially your heart and diaphragm. the two go hand in hand, though... your body has to work harder to carry around extra weight, which for a given degree of conditioning will hurt your performance. also, high cholesterol is a common compatriot of being overweight, meaning your heart will have to work harder for the same performance.

it's sort of moot, though. people who are in good shape are capable of doing longer and more intense exercise sessions and have more developed muscles which will use up more calories, so usually the two align eventually

I do have a work out room in my building I should just go and do the tread mill for a half hour because I can't see myself doing much more.

:yes:

everyone has to start somewhere... do what you can and after long enough you will find it becoming easy, then you can bump up the intensity.

I've been fitness obsessed. It's not fun. I used to run 40 miles a week (And I mean run!), when all I needed was a quick pump for a serotonin fill.

Find the little tricks. Don't be afraid of eating healthy; you get used to it, it just becomes a different framework for good and bad (I love hazelnuts, dislike sprouts).

motivation is simply a matter of outsmarting yourself. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
an added note to prpl, on the subject of choosing session length and intensity:

what you're aiming for is 65-80% BPM for as long as you can reasonable go. this means that starting out, some people may be able to accomplish this with fast walking, but as you develop, you will have to increase the speed and intensity of your exercise to maintain this.

as for length, 30 minutes is good for starters.

so lets say suzy wants to get into shape, so she hits the treadmill. lets say she can walk 4 mph and maintain a 70% heartrate, and does so for 30 minutes. after 3 weeks, she notices that her usual exercise is getting easier and her normal speed of 4 mph only gets her to 60% heartrate... so she increases her speed to 5 mph which gets her back up to her target heartrate. after a month or two of this, she begins to realize that she isnt reasonable exhausted at the end of her 30 minute exercise, so she increases to jogging for 35 minutes, then 40 minutes, etc.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yay! I actually did something I went down to the work out room and did the treadmill for 30 minutes. And a cool shower never felt so good, of course the room was so hot that I was sweating before I even started. it only took a month for me to get motivated, and I plan to go tomorrow as well now only if I didn't have a weekness for :cheese:flavored anything including :cheese: and pasta. and cookie dough