User Tag List

First 12345 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's not alcohol, it's actually beer, wine, and other crap, but especially beer. There's a good reason they call it a "beer belly".
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    GONE

I've known alkies who drop 10-15 lbs like *snap* when they stop drinking for a month or three. Not kidding.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    It's not alcohol, it's actually beer, wine, and other crap, but especially beer. There's a good reason they call it a "beer belly".
    Yep. I don't drink as much as I did in college. But I used to joke that I had a six pack of Heineken

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks for the info, Carebear.

A big key for me was making weight loss a long-term project rather than a gung-ho, X pounds in X weeks mentality. Small changes are easier to make than big ones (at least for me).

In July 2006 I was over 30% body fat and expanding daily. Now my body fat percentage is in the low teens and still decreasing. I still eat almost exactly what I was eating back then. No diets. No counting grams of this or calories of that.

It started out simply enough: going for a two-mile walk around sunset a couple of evenings a week. I found that I enjoyed the 30 minutes away from the TV, the internet, the cell phone, etc. The pounds did not start flying off; in fact, I was still adding weight (though more slowly). This one, simple change, however, had a dramatic effect: since I enjoyed the walk enough to make time for it, I learned that I wasn’t too busy to exercise. That realization was a life-changing event.

I started mixing in a little more challenge when my routine started feeling routine. Maybe 30 minutes became 45, or three workouts a week became four, or the pace increased, or I replaced one exercise with a slightly more challenging one. I never made a big jump at one time, just increased the challenge a little at a time every four to six weeks.

Less than two years ago, a two mile walk two nights a week was challenging. Now it’s roughly 90 weeks later, and I work out six to eight times a week for a lot longer than 30 minutes and at a much higher intensity than walking. I’m stronger. I’m leaner. I have tons more energy. I can get away with drinking more beer. And it all happened just a little bit at a time.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by narticus View Post
    So what is the character limit for a post? My reply keeps getting cut off.
    I think it's a matter of avoiding fancy letters and signs. Or post, then paste your whole post into "edit". That works.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    istp

it is important to understand that the body's energy storage mechanism is not the obscurity most people make it out to be... there is relatively simple math behind it, and if you follow the math, you will lose weight unless you have something seriously wrong with you. most people fail here... not following very basic concepts and then placing the blame elsewhere, vying for fad diets, etc.

with that in mind, reaching your target weight doesnt have to seem so daunting... perhaps far off, yes, but attainable at a slow, sure pace. you can tell yourself "im going to eat healthy/exercise today, as i did yesterday and as i will do tomorrow, because if i do then i simply cannot fail"

BMR Calculator

find your BMR and multiply by 1.2. if you do any activity out of the ordinary, look up the calories burned per hour and add that on.

carefully count how many calories you eat each day and make sure (at the very least) it is under this number.

it is not recommended to eat fewer calories than your BMR (unmultiplied) which is why it may take a while to lose weight at a healthy rate (since a sedentary person can only cut out ~17% of their calories). this is why exercise is vital--it allows you to increase the deficit. the maximum recommended is 1000 per day (2 lbs/wk) if you eat too few calories, your body will go into starvation mode and you will end up burning a higher ratio of lean body mass to fat than necessary.

that's not to say it's all numbers... you will have a tough time here if you eat a lot of empty calories.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

^^ I'm obese by body fat by the calculator above? how is that possible?

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    ^^ I'm obese by body fat by the calculator above? how is that possible?
    some of the equations used for this topic arent terribly accurate. BMR and harris-benedict are pretty close, im not sure which you were looking at.

to find ideal weight (underweight/healthy/overweight/obese) i would suggest avoiding calculators (esp. BMI) and getting a real body-fat measurement, then compare to the ranges here

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

I was using the calculator where you key in weight, waist, hip, wrist, arm, and then compare it to the site's Health Check Standards ratio.

I'm going to go home and use a proper measuring tape =_=. The calculator gave me >32%.

I'm obese?! *meh*

My BMR is 1249.8.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I was using the calculator where you key in weight, waist, hip, wrist, arm, and then compare it to the site's Health Check Standards ratio.

I'm going to go home and use a proper measuring tape =_=. The calculator gave me >32%.

I'm obese?! *meh*

My BMR is 1249.8.
    the best way is to have your BF% measured by a professional, then use a bioelectrical impedance analyzer to track changes. you can get them at most health/fitness stores... there are even weight scales with a BIA built-in.