• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uh oh...you guys discovered my other know-it-all obsession (besides personality typology)....skin care ingredients. :blush:
Can we say, "tertiary relief hobbies"? :D

I went into an Innisfree store when in Seoul. I found their prices comparable to Etude (which I use more for makeup than skincare). Just like with skin care from other countries, there can be gimmicky ingredients, but the same basic good ones you will see over & over in similar products from Korea. That's kind of why I said that you can almost pick any moisturizer or product and it will be pretty good, and much better than anything in the same price range from the US. Most Korean brands tend to use emollients (read: ingredients which hold moisture to the skin, which serves as a protective barrier and will make you skin smoother/softer) which are not pore-clogging and often are soothing, so it is nice if you are acne prone but also sensitive (and wanting anti-aging...what a combo :dry: ).

Example - I see Innisfree has an "orchid lotion" which promises to even out skin tone (aka often called "brightening" or "whitening" in Korea) among other things, and it seems to credit this to some special orchid from JeJu, but really, the key ingredient for that claim is Arbutin, which is considered to even out skin tone better than, say, Vitamin C, which is often used in products sold in the US. The orchid extract is probably similar to "camellia sinensis leaf extract" (aka green tea), which is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant & also used a lot in the US.

What I like about Korean skincare is how they use a lot of proven ingredients in one product and often avoid irritating ones. They are formulated to actually do what they say (barring expectations for miracles). So once you identify your skin needs, then look for products which claim to "treat" that and start noting what is commonly used; then you can find stand-out products that maybe have something a bit extra or whatever. You probably will notice a ton of products are essentially the same and it may come down to personal preference.

My other advice is to avoid products with high alcohol concentration (it will be high up on the list of ingredients). It is often used to aid absorption and as a solvent, but there are better, less irritating options and many Korean products use those options (ie Propanediol or Butylene Glycol, which seem like waaaaay better alternatives, from what I know). If it's towards the bottom of the list, then it's probably ok.

I am not an expert on ingredients, but I always read labels and will look up a lot of ingredients, so over time I have built a sense of what is "good" and what works for me specifically too.

I think it depends on what your goal is... I haven't seen that site before & generally order from Cosmetic Love or Cupidrop (US shipping - cheaper/faster), but they have some similar products to what I have tried. Looks like a good option to order from. Memebox looks good too, and seems to have cheap/fast US shipping (?).

So an example of how to determine a better product... that site has an "aha & bha daily clean toner" by Miza that serves the same purpose as the BHA & AHA serums I get from CosRX (although they are separate products & this is one), but the CosRX is a little simpler and has a natural form of BHA (BHA = salicylic acid = white willow bark) which my skin seems to tolerate better. Even more importantly - the CosRX ones don't have alcohol (but some CosRX products DO). So those are little differences to look for when choosing a product.

Most ampoules*/emulsions/serums/etc are something between a toner and a moisturizer, and they may simply contain concentrated ingredients for a specific purpose and will absorb faster than moisturizers. These can be good for morning routines as the moisturizers are often pretty heavy and better for night. But again, it depends on your skin and what effect you desire. *Some ampoules seem really sticky and may be better for night.

If you are looking for anti-aging and/or have sensitive or dry skin, then snail mucin creams, collagen* creams, and honey + propolis creams are good options. Many of these will also include the hyped hyaluronic acid. Anything that has a lot of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories (often plant extracts) and vitamins is a good bet. The B vitamins, vitamin C & E are good to see in a list (look up the other names they go by too). I like to see licorice extract, niacinamide, allatonin, and green tea cuz they are very soothing (and niacinamide helps with discoloration).

* Skin won't really absorb the collagen, so it's not promoting collagen increase in skin. Instead, the collagen gives the cream a jelly texture that feels light and creates a protective, moisturizing barrier, IMO. This can have a plumping effect in its appearance. I find it wears well under makeup too, much better than silicone primers.

For a face wash, there are many PH balancing face washes, since apparently most water is not balanced, which is why it can leave your face dry/tight. So any gentle PH balancing face wash is a good option, IMO. Since face washes don't sit on your skin long (you obviously wash them off), then focus on the fancier ingredients for toners/emulsions/moisturizers, etc, as those actually absorb into your skin.

The reason I am talking ingredients is because, as I noted above, there will be many good products once you know what ingredients to look for. I hope that isn't overwhelming... :D

My regimen:
- Makeup remover (Night): DHC cleansing oil - this one happens to be olive oil & was originally a Japanese brand. Similar Korean products out there. I like cleansing oils for makeup removal, as long as they rinse clean.
- Facewash (Morning & Night): CosRX Low PH good morning gel cleanser
- Toners/Serums (Morning & Night): CosRX BHA blackhead power liquid & CosRX AHA Whitehead Power Liquid, sometimes Etude AC After Balm Cleanup (for active breakouts & hyper-pigmentation post breakout)
- Light Moisturizer (Morning) - Etude super collagen moisturizing cream
- Heavier/Layering Moisturizers (Night) - CosRX snail emucin and/or SCINIC honey ampoule
- Eyes: a vitamin c serum in morning, at night a vitamin c serum followed by a heavier eye cream (or just use a heavy moisturizer, which is all most eye creams are)

Maybe once a week I do a sleep pack (like a lightweight mask you wear overnight but without paper; it's like a moisturizer that leaves a film you have to wash off in morning) and/or a face mask (the actual paper mask you leave on your face for 20 min or so).
Finally someone who loves Korean Skin care as much as me. I love me some CosRX, and they're cruelty free :wubbie:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible that some women just cannot wear darker eye makeup even when tastefully applied?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it possible that some women just cannot wear darker eye makeup even when tastefully applied?

Well, darker eye makeup can make your eyes appear smaller and it can add a certain drama to your face but I wear it by default because I like it.

I bet you could pull it off... I love purples, bronzes/golds, greens, etc.

I just use moderately thick black liner on top and put a medium shade of color on top for the lid...like this.

Last edited:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=26163]FutureInProgress[/MENTION]
Why are ENFJ women always so attractive? ;-;
You pull off the darker eye look. With me, I just end up looking like a mixture of a dead raccoon and a baby prostitute. Hardly a nice thing to witness.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You pull off the darker eye look. With me, I just end up looking like a mixture of a dead raccoon and a baby prostitute. Hardly a nice thing to witness.

Ha thanks. If I am not careful, I can also look like a baby prostitute. But I have seen a front view of your face, and with your big eyes, I bet you could a pop of color on the outer edge of your eyes. Like put it on the outer third, then a complementary medium tone (or a lighter shade of the previous color) for the middle, and neutral light color (such as white) in the inner corner.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ha thanks. If I am not careful, I can also look like a baby prostitute. But I have seen a front view of your face, and with your big eyes, I bet you could a pop of color on the outer edge of your eyes. Like put it on the outer third, then a complementary medium tone (or a lighter shade of the previous color) for the middle, and neutral light color (such as white) in the inner corner.

Ah, I see what you mean, thank you. I am just really getting into colors and darker ones can be a pain to work with, but I absolutely love the drama it gives off when done right.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

:notype: (unless you're talking about type of skin tone or eye shape) I know I personally look like a spray tanned circus clown when I use colors on my eyes. I have to go dark.

But yeah, I had an ENFJ friend and she was really pretty so maybe a little type related, lol.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:notype: (unless you're talking about type of skin tone or eye shape) I know I personally look like a spray tanned circus clown when I use colors on my eyes. I have to go dark.

But yeah, I had an ENFJ friend and she was really pretty so maybe a little type related, lol.

What is the shape of your eyes? I think my eyes are almond or something. They look ridiculous if I use too much dark colors on them.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What is the shape of your eyes? I think my eyes are almond or something. They look ridiculous if I use too much dark colors on them.

Mine are almond to thin almond but they are more on the deep set side (nothing crazy though).

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mine are almond to thin almond but they are more on the deep set side (nothing crazy though).

Kind of like Jennifer Lawrence? Her eyes could be called thin almonds. Maybe almond eyes can be found in many NF and ST types, then? But then, I kinda got in trouble by insinuating that facial features could correlate to a personality type, so maybe I'm wrong..

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Certified makeup artist coming through to the rescue! :D

The shade and placement of the eye shadow are two big factors when it comes to tackling darker colors. I really struggled with it when I was beginning my makeup adventure, but I have it down pretty well now.
If your eyes tend to appear smaller, then you may not want to line your whole eye with black liner and eye shadow. Instead, focus your darker shades on the outer v shape of your eye so that it pulls your look up and away from the center of your face. Personally, I add a bit of a highlighter to the inner corner of my eyes to brighten them up if I'm going with a darker look. Also, with eyeliner, you may either want to just put a peach color on your lash line OR put a little bit of a darker shade in the outer corner of your lash line. I like to use a smudge brush and lightly smudge it into the little bit of eye shadow I have under my eye.

As for the actual shade, some colors compliment some skin tones differently than others. If it's easier for you, I'd love to see a photo of your eyes to help you out some more if none of this was helpful.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] I will PM you in a minute~

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Kind of like Jennifer Lawrence? Her eyes could be called thin almonds. Maybe almond eyes can be found in many NF and ST types, then? But then, I kinda got in trouble by insinuating that facial features could correlate to a personality type, so maybe I'm wrong..
Yeah but my eyelids are very visible so that it naturally looks darker anyway so that's why it works I guess. I think more than facial features, certain types are more prone to certain expressions which make us think of their features in a certain way.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure how eye shape would correlate with type when people can look just like relatives who have nothing in common type-wise. Resting facial expression and range of facial expressiveness are easier to connect to type.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sure how eye shape would correlate with type when people can look just like relatives who have nothing in common type-wise. Resting facial expression and range of facial expressiveness are easier to connect to type.

I'm being dumb, forgive me. ;p Resting facial expressions actually sound more like what I was thinking of before, thank you for the clarification.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally someone who loves Korean Skin care as much as me. I love me some CosRX, and they're cruelty free :wubbie:

I'm going to probably post my shopping list for final approval from you and [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] before I commit. There's so much shit to buy, dude. Apparently you have to do double face cleaning? :huh:

The website says that you're supposed to introduce them gradually. How long did it take you guys to incorporate everything into your routine? Did you deal with breakouts or anything when you started?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unrelated, but has anyone ever used Latisse or a similar product? I have short eyelashes and have been considering doing something like that instead of eyelash extensions. I've seen extensions a couple of times irl and they always look really trashy. Maybe the girls I've seen just have really cheap ones, though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm going to probably post my shopping list for final approval from you and [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] before I commit. There's so much shit to buy, dude. Apparently you have to do double face cleaning? :huh:

The website says that you're supposed to introduce them gradually. How long did it take you guys to incorporate everything into your routine? Did you deal with breakouts or anything when you started?

Even though I'm not prone, I try one thing at a time, just to be sure nothing reacts. Currently my most vexing issue is that the gel moisturizer I really like for night time is flaking. I haven't switched from summer stuff to fall/winter yet but maybe that's a hint.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even though I'm not prone, I try one thing at a time, just to be sure nothing reacts. Currently my most vexing issue is that the gel moisturizer I really like for night time is flaking. I haven't switched from summer stuff to fall/winter yet but maybe that's a hint.

What are you using? I have combination skin so it's kind of day by day as to what's going to work well vs ruin my face. :/

The last time I really invested in skincare products I spent ~$275 for an Arcona Basic 5 set. They recommended the one for oily skin, rather than combination skin kit (I didn't know I was combination at that point) so it was great at first, but just did more harm than good over time. I've gone super back to basics and have used cetaphil wash and moisturizer, benzoyl peroxide spot treatment and a honey mask every other day for about 2 years now. My skins not bad but I'm ready to upgrade some.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What are you using? I have combination skin so it's kind of day by day as to what's going to work well vs ruin my face. :/

The last time I really invested in skincare products I spent ~$275 for an Arcona Basic 5 set. They recommended the one for oily skin, rather than combination skin kit (I didn't know I was combination at that point) so it was great at first, but just did more harm than good over time. I've gone super back to basics and have used cetaphil wash and moisturizer, benzoyl peroxide spot treatment and a honey mask every other day for about 2 years now. My skins not bad but I'm ready to upgrade some.

Philosophy's Take A Deep Breath Oil-Free Oxygenating Gel Cream. I don't have oily skin but in summer it's more combination. I like it a lot with eye cream for night time. I just can't figure out why the flakes after several months and it's a newer jar.