• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible it's too dark? What I would do is mix powder foundation with the bronzer and see if that looks any better.

I really like this bronzer - NYX When A Leopard Gets A Tan:
leopard-1.jpg

It's crazy cheap and it's shiny and pretty and golden.

I think it probably is too dark and has too red of a tint. Ugh, of course I bought the worst possible bronzer. I'll mix it with foundation next time and see if that makes it better. Thanks!

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My favorite foundation is Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation. It gives me pretty nice coverage without feeling too heavy.

Favorite eyeshadow palette would be Too Faced Chocolate Bar. Smells nice and looks gorgeous

Loving Colorpop's lip products recently since they are pretty affordable :smile:

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
300.JPG

mixed with apple cider vinegar and turmeric. i actually see a difference which is rare.

i ordered some cheap knockoff face brush off groupon that i'm hoping works well.

I bought this and apple cider vinegar too!

Haven't tried it yet and hope it work.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone using Retin-A cream - if you're having a lot of burning/irritation/peeling while you adjust to it, or increase dosage strength - this cream is surprisingly helpful. The fact that it's a hand cream gave me pause, as they're typically too rich (comedogenic, to be specific) to use on the face, but, I haven't had any issues like that, so far. My skin's fairly acne-prone, so the ingredients like shea butter & jojoba made me hesitant, but I gave it a try anyway (applied sparingly on top of my Retin-A & 2-3 pumps of my Cerave PM lotion at bedtime). Glad I did.

The 2% colloidal oatmeal works like a dream to calm redness, & the dimethicone holds in moisture without being too occlusive.* I use it in my neck, as well, since that skin is even more sensitive to the side effects of retinoids.

k2-_5731c395-cb26-4363-b5c2-c4e7ec40b246.v1.jpg

The 3oz tube will last you quite awhile- probably 6 months, at least. It's about 5 bucks.

*While this helps calm things down a lot, I think some degree of irritation during the adjustment phase is unavoidable, when it comes to retinoids. This cream just makes that period far more tolerable, ime. Gentle exfoliation in the mornings helps with some of the peeling, too.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I need a new everyday foundation for work. My skin used to respond to YSL Le teint touche eclat but for some reason, not anymore (maybe I just need a new bottle?).

What's the best lightweight foundation for oily skin?

My favorite foundation is Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation. It gives me pretty nice coverage without feeling too heavy.

You must have amazing skin because I've noticed that people with great skin always rave about this foundation. My sister's glows beautifully when she wears it, I'm in complete awe. She's told me to try it but it didn't do much for me.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I need a new everyday foundation for work. My skin used to respond to YSL Le teint touche eclat but for some reason, not anymore (maybe I just need a new bottle?).

What's the best lightweight foundation for oily skin?

I use Mac's Studio Waterweight foundation or Chantecaille future skin, they're both gel type formulas that are super lightweight but have buildable coverage.

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wanna recommend Maybelline Matte lipstick in the shade Clay Crush. That lipstick is absolute my drugstore lipstick favorite.

tumblr_inline_nq1rp5fezW1sb17hi_400.jpg

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Does anyone use falsies? If so tell me everything I need to know. I want to wear falsies all day every day, that won't cost me an arm and a leg, and I don't really want extensions. Sephora has a few options but I don't know where to start and whether or not they're a one time use?

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Does anyone use falsies? If so tell me everything I need to know. I want to wear falsies all day every day, that won't cost me an arm and a leg, and I don't really want extensions. Sephora has a few options but I don't know where to start and whether or not they're a one time use?

I know you've said extensions are out of the running for you, but my girlfriends who switched to extensions from applying falsies everyday haven't stopped raving about how much they/their wallets love them.

Personally, I like the Huda Beauty lashes from Sephora. They are $20-30, gorgeous, and can be worn up to 15 times. I'm always nervous about using something on my eyes more than once, but I can get about 5 good uses out of them before they start to look a little worn. That said, I certainly don't wear falsies everyday so I can splurge on them. Less expensive falsies are not going to last as long, and may be more expensive in the long run.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
st-tropez-in-shower-tanner.jpg

St Tropez in shower self tanner. This magical potion is Gamine-proof, and I am both pale af (with olive/green undertones) and a total klutz. I haven't managed to make myself orange, streaky, stinky or itchy. AAAAAnnnnnddd people have stopped asking me why I look so tired/sick.

I'm generally lazy and don't want to wear foundation/blush/bronzer (I like to go to the gym in the morning, and then go for a run on my lunch break so applying/removing/applying makeup would take up precious break time) so this is my three-minute miracle to looking put-together.

It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I know you've said extensions are out of the running for you, but my girlfriends who switched to extensions from applying falsies everyday haven't stopped raving about how much they/their wallets love them.

Personally, I like the Huda Beauty lashes from Sephora. They are $20-30, gorgeous, and can be worn up to 15 times. I'm always nervous about using something on my eyes more than once, but I can get about 5 good uses out of them before they start to look a little worn. That said, I certainly don't wear falsies everyday so I can splurge on them. Less expensive falsies are not going to last as long, and may be more expensive in the long run.

I agree but there is a good brand that you can learn on.

Has everything you need, inexpensive and available anywhere. I like the partial Urban Decay Instalush - they seem to work better than whole lashes on my eyes. I wear them a couple times a week but I'd say 10 uses or so.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The beauty routine I've been using in it's entirety over the past year.

I doooo have an occasional witch hazel or burt's bees toner in my car for when I am really sweaty and just clearing my face until I get home.. And I am still going strong on using those waffled microfiber cloths for exfoliation on my face... But 99% of the time this is what I am using.

products.jpg

I have Lexicon to thank for almost all of it. :3

The face wash is fairly non irritating for Retin-A treated skin, and does make me feel pretty clean after use. Even though science is saying you're not suppose to scrub all of the oil off of your face, this cleanser helps remove a whooole lot of it, which I really need.

I don't use a toner on a daily basis.. just when I'm working out elsewhere and unable to wash my face in plain water right then and there.

I use the Wal-mart brand neutrogena Retin-A SPF cream during the day, and I mix about a dab of the Retin-A pump and the moisturizing gel together at night.

The masque is really my saving grace.. whenever I fail to wash my face that night, or need to give my skin a night's break from the Retin-A pump, I use this masque. It works as a spot treatment overnight, or a very thin layer will (mostly) blend in with my skin during the day.. at least enough that it doesn't call anymore attention to the break out than the breakout itself would. During TTOTM it helps calm all the inflammation that tends to occur, and it is the only thing that has helped me successfully stop picking and poking at my face when something really angry or painful appears because I trust in it actually working. It helps my face look less red too when I treat the whole thing.

Other things not featured: a dry sunscreen that I brush on my face during the day. I should put on an eye cream at night or something, but I have been a bit lazy in finding one. I use to use this eye-brightening cooling stick thing from some walmart brand for a while that I really liked, but haven't seen it lately. I think it's discontinued.

21K7KRPGF1L.jpg

Mole

Permabanned
Touch of Silver by Provoke is not a dye yet it puts ultra violet into my hair. It gives my hair a glamorous and distinctive look.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anyone have mascara recommendations for people with sensitive eyes (if that's a thing)? I've been using Maybelline Great Lash but it makes my eyes itch/water.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Does anyone have mascara recommendations for people with sensitive eyes (if that's a thing)? I've been using Maybelline Great Lash but it makes my eyes itch/water.

@_@ everything makes my eyes itch and water... I just use some irritation-relieving eye drops before I apply and let my eyes cry it out a bit while my moisturizer is sinking into my skin anyways. It is still irritating because I don't wear it daily or anything and my eyes hate change apparently.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Almay One-coat Nourishing Lengthening Mascara is hypoallergenic. My ESFP friend swears by it (she gets dry eyes, watery eyes, just generally tempermental eyes). It has a nice, natural look to it.

Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100 % Natural Lash Boosting Mascara is what I use, often. It's marketed as hypoallergenic. It takes a while to dry, so you have to look out for smudges. It's not waterproof, so f your eyes water, I've found it can create some irritation if it leaks into your eye, unfortunately. May still be worth a try. The Almay one doesn't do this, my friend said. I plan to try it, soon.

Hope this helps!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Found a pretty great/cheap/effective antiperspirant that has no excess fragrance, bells/whistles. I hate that 'baby powder shower fresh mystery mountain breeze floral sunshine shit' additive in all of them.

99942faa-277e-421c-b645-cce1451460b6_1.4213cf60a43202307b7058d51ff652a3.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Almay-Clear-Gel-Deodorant-2.25-oz/10451094

Seems to work just as well as the expensive "clinical strength" antiperspirants, as far as maintaining dryness/preventing odor.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The beauty routine I've been using in it's entirety over the past year.

I doooo have an occasional witch hazel or burt's bees toner in my car for when I am really sweaty and just clearing my face until I get home.. And I am still going strong on using those waffled microfiber cloths for exfoliation on my face... But 99% of the time this is what I am using.

View attachment 16744

I have Lexicon to thank for almost all of it. :3

The face wash is fairly non irritating for Retin-A treated skin, and does make me feel pretty clean after use. Even though science is saying you're not suppose to scrub all of the oil off of your face, this cleanser helps remove a whooole lot of it, which I really need.

I don't use a toner on a daily basis.. just when I'm working out elsewhere and unable to wash my face in plain water right then and there.

I use the Wal-mart brand neutrogena Retin-A SPF cream during the day, and I mix about a dab of the Retin-A pump and the moisturizing gel together at night.

The masque is really my saving grace.. whenever I fail to wash my face that night, or need to give my skin a night's break from the Retin-A pump, I use this masque. It works as a spot treatment overnight, or a very thin layer will (mostly) blend in with my skin during the day.. at least enough that it doesn't call anymore attention to the break out than the breakout itself would. During TTOTM it helps calm all the inflammation that tends to occur, and it is the only thing that has helped me successfully stop picking and poking at my face when something really angry or painful appears because I trust in it actually working. It helps my face look less red too when I treat the whole thing.

Other things not featured: a dry sunscreen that I brush on my face during the day. I should put on an eye cream at night or something, but I have been a bit lazy in finding one. I use to use this eye-brightening cooling stick thing from some walmart brand for a while that I really liked, but haven't seen it lately. I think it's discontinued.

21K7KRPGF1L.jpg

I'm really glad that cleanser worked for you! I love it.
Or I guess I should say, loved it. Pretty sure Biore's discontinuing it, but you can still find it on Walmart's site & Amazon. I don't think it'll go bad if you store it in a cool, dark place.

I've tried a couple others in the meantime that seem okay. All of the other Biore cleansers are shit - they contain gimmicky, useless ingredients, & clogging waxes & irritating menthol (customers associate the tingling/tightness with cleanliness, unfortunately).

My friend's mom passed this one along to me - not sure why she disliked it. Might have been the texture. It comes out like an airy, lightweight foam that doesn't actually feel like you've put much of anything on your face.. but it's been able to wash off my makeup/water-resistant sunscreen easily. Doesn't make my skin feel tight or dry.

Clean & Clear's Daily Pore Cleanser is remarkably similar to the Biore Combo Skin cleanser, in ingredients/effectiveness, though the texture's a bit different. I've used it whenever I can't find the Biore one. The C&C site usually has printable $1-$2 off coupons, as well. Like the Biore line, Clean & Clear's other cleansers are all gimmick, minimal efficacy, so I wouldn't bother with the others.

Last thing - According to my dermatologist, you don't need a specific "eye cream" unless your nightly anti-wrinkle cream for your whole face is too irritating to use around your eyes. Sometimes it can cause a burning sensation, due to the tissue being more delicate, but it does go away with consistent use. Eye creams just have less active ingredient in it, so the irritation phase is lessened. I feel like eye creams are a waste of money, honestly.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm really glad that cleanser worked for you! I love it.
Or I guess I should say, loved it. Pretty sure Biore's discontinuing it, but you can still find it on Walmart's site & Amazon. I don't think it'll go bad if you store it in a cool, dark place.

I've tried a couple others in the meantime that seem okay. All of the other Biore cleansers are shit - they contain gimmicky, useless ingredients, & clogging waxes & irritating menthol (customers associate the tingling/tightness with cleanliness, unfortunately).

My friend's mom passed this one along to me - not sure why she disliked it. Might have been the texture. It comes out like an airy, lightweight foam that doesn't actually feel like you've put much of anything on your face.. but it's been able to wash off my makeup/water-resistant sunscreen easily. Doesn't make my skin feel tight or dry.

Clean & Clear's Daily Pore Cleanser is remarkably similar to the Biore Combo Skin cleanser, in ingredients/effectiveness, though the texture's a bit different. I've used it whenever I can't find the Biore one. The C&C site usually has printable $1-$2 off coupons, as well. Like the Biore line, Clean & Clear's other cleansers are all gimmick, minimal efficacy, so I wouldn't bother with the others.

Last thing - According to my dermatologist, you don't need a specific "eye cream" unless your nightly anti-wrinkle cream for your whole face is too irritating to use around your eyes. Sometimes it can cause a burning sensation, due to the tissue being more delicate, but it does go away with consistent use. Eye creams just have less active ingredient in it, so the irritation phase is lessened. I feel like eye creams are a waste of money, honestly.

Thanks so much for the alternatives! I noticed them not being stocked on the shelves anymore, I ordered these two I got from online... Perhaps I should order more.. >.> .. I'll probably try the C&C one next, but these pumps have lasted me a long time.. so buying about 4 more ought to give me a year.

I dunno if I have a particular anti-wrinkle cream.. except that I use the retin-a pump. I use the neutrogena face lotion during the day, maybe I ought just use that? :shrug:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks so much for the alternatives! I noticed them not being stocked on the shelves anymore, I ordered these two I got from online... Perhaps I should order more.. >.> .. I'll probably try the C&C one next, but these pumps have lasted me a long time.. so buying about 4 more ought to give me a year.

I dunno if I have a particular anti-wrinkle cream.. except that I use the retin-a pump. I use the neutrogena face lotion during the day, maybe I ought just use that? :shrug:

Yeah, I love how long that Biore cleanser can last. I actually save twist-tops from other products to use on the pump bottles when the pumps can't pull out any more product. I'd get an extra few days to a week out of the Biore cleanser that way.

Whatever facial moisturizers/wrinkle creams you use on your face, are fine to use around the eyes, but ones with chemical sunscreens (vs mineral) have a tendency to sting, a bit, IME.

Btw - the daytime face lotion... which one do you use? Most of Neutrogena's anti-aging daytime moisturizers contain some sort of vitamin A derivative (usually retinyl palmitate), which, if used during the day, can increase photosensitivity, despite being an antioxidant & acne fighter. My derm mentioned at my last appointment that she's hesitant to suggest those products to people, as prescription retinoids are indicated for night-only use due to the photosensitizing effect, so logic follows that OTC vitamin A derivatives could likely have a similar effect, over time.

The Neutrogena Healthy Defense line is good for daytime facial lotions that won't break you out, though.
http://www.neutrogena.com/category/moisturizers/healthy+defense-.do?nType=3

The "sensitive skin" one is a mineral-based vs chemical based sunscreen, which is a lot easier to use around the eyes. I got a few friends (& the s/o) on that one; they like it quite a bit. Takes a little blending, though, to avoid the white cast zinc oxide can create.

I use a tinted sunscreen from EltaMD (have to order online, it seems pricey, but you get 3 oz & it'll last you a good 6 months. It comes out to about the same as 2-3 tubes of the drugstore stuff, cost & quantity-wise. They have some untinted sunscreens that are probably great, too. You do need a moisturizer underneath most of these, though, even if it's just that C&C lightweight gel moisturizer.

Effective Sun Protection from EltaMD

I'll stop rambling, here. Hope this helps!