• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have huge craterous open pores. They are very unsightly. Someone please help.

(My skin is very oily but also sensitive and dries out and reddens with harsh treatments :()
I've been using the oil cleansing method. I thought it was ridiculous at first but now I swear to it!
I make it in a 50 ml bottle, and keep it in my shower, alongside my face towel.
Half castor oil, half olive oil.
Everyone I shower, I rub a good amount on my face while I let the sizing hit water run against the wall. Go about other shower relayed tasks, then soak the towers in hot water and place it on my face. Let it sit until it cools. You can do this again, it you want.

It's like my own little spa treatment. I love it.

I've noticed that not only is my face more balanced, but the pores have reduced dramatically, and blackheads are practically gone!

Raffaella

bon vivant
So I wanted to test the difference between Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution and GARNIER Micellar Cleansing Water since every review I'd read vouched for Bioderma on no other basis than it was known to be a better skincare brand (ugh, that's not how you make recommendations). I purchased both two weeks ago and was given a sample size of La Roche Posay Micellar Water. I found Bioderma and Garnier to be the same in every way aside from cost, both:

- stung my dry, sensitive skin
- stung my dry, sensitive eyes
- required the same quanity of product to remove makeup.

As cleansers, they're effective but not the expense of deteriorating my red, itchy skin. Ironically, although Bioderma is formulated for sensitive skin, La Roche Posay Micellar Water was the most gentle of the three even if beautypedia disagrees. I could see myself using Bioderma or Garnier as the weather heats up and my skin becomes oily but definitely not during the cooler temperatures when my skin is so dry, it starts flaking.

I've been using the oil cleansing method. I thought it was ridiculous at first but now I swear to it!
I make it in a 50 ml bottle, and keep it in my shower, alongside my face towel.
Half castor oil, half olive oil.
Everyone I shower, I rub a good amount on my face while I let the sizing hit water run against the wall. Go about other shower relayed tasks, then soak the towers in hot water and place it on my face. Let it sit until it cools. You can do this again, it you want.

It's like my own little spa treatment. I love it.

I've noticed that not only is my face more balanced, but the pores have reduced dramatically, and blackheads are practically gone!

How long did it take to see results? And how long have you done it for?

A lot of people rave about the oil cleansing method since they see improvements within a week; apparently their skin is much softer (which I can attest to) and smoother with comedones completely cleared. I've also read negative reviews on OCM, apparently it improves acne-prone skin only initally and temporarily; long-term treatment leads oily skin and worse forms of acne.

I did a lot of research into this, purchased safflower oil and patch-tested it. It's been five days and I haven't broken out (which is great) however, despite all the research, I'd completely forgotten that oils exacerbate my form of dermatitis. I limited the application to nose and jaw. I'm so disappointed that I'm gonna have to jump off this bandwagon, aside from the dry, irritated skin in certain areas, my nose and jaw are have never been softer (the blackheads aren't clearing very quickly, though) and I was really hoping I could apply it to my entire skin, unaffected.

[sigh]

Salicyclic acid it is.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aleppo soap works wonders for my curls, no other product that I've ever tried gave me this result

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Has anyone ever tried a dermaroller? I recently got one off of Amazon because I'm obsessed with anti-aging products and I'm a fan. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think my skin looks good following the initial few uses.

As well, does anyone use anti-aging products? I know the idea is to start early so I've been looking at preventative options.

Ingrid in grids

As well, does anyone use anti-aging products? I know the idea is to start early so I've been looking at preventative options.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I asked my dermatologist about anti-aging products, and she told me that I shouldn't touch them until I'm in my 30s (I'm 23). The best thing you can do in your twenties is use a good sunscreen every day. Overloading young skin with anti-aging treatments can cause breakouts.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Has anyone ever tried a dermaroller? I recently got one off of Amazon because I'm obsessed with anti-aging products and I'm a fan. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think my skin looks good following the initial few uses.

The dermaroller is the thing that makes tiny punctures, right? I don't know, I stick to using a Clarasonic, I think it's much more gentle on the skin. I wouldn't get into the anti-aging stuff if you are in your 20's. Stick with sunscreen containing products, moisturizing regularly and cleaning your skin right.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
shiseidocurler.jpg

:worthy:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION]

First, really sorry to hear that.. nothing's more painful than large open sores. For the ones that are open to air, keep them moist, put anti-bacterial cream on them and try to cover them up somehow even if it's with a moisture barrier.. keep them moist (scabs and stuff actually slow down healing) and clean and try not to touch them as best as you can.

It sounds like you're really reacting to something.. although, if you get these large cyst-like acne things in the first place, I really recommend going to see a doctor and getting something to help on that route. I had to finally break down and use Vitamin A again (script strength, tretinoin) because even though I wasn't touching my face often, washing twice a day, being good to my skin--nothing was keeping the painful bigger breakouts from happening once a month.. and they take weeks to heal. You can start out with a cheaper solution: the equate brand (walmart brand http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Anti-Wrinkle-Cream-SPF-15-1.4-oz/12444643 ) of Neutrogena's Vitamin A cream... it's a much smaller concentration, but until you get to a doc, it's something... and I started out using this stuff until I worked my skin up to the Vitamin A... you can begin by treating the areas of your face that have not broken skin yet.

A lot of people rave about the oil cleansing method since they see improvements within a week; apparently their skin is much softer (which I can attest to) and smoother with comedones completely cleared. I've also read negative reviews on OCM, apparently it improves acne-prone skin only initally and temporarily; long-term treatment leads oily skin and worse forms of acne.

The latter was my experience with it. Temporarily it was awesome, then it just became one massive large break out. Removing all of the oil is EXTREMELY difficult in the cleansing stage when you have large acne-prone pores.. so when you put the moisturizing layer on (more oil), you're trapping that dirty oil into the pore and leaving it there time and time again. It took weeks to clear my face up from the tragedy. I had to really scrub my face to the point of irritation to get the oil off of it.

I think you can really just get the same benefits with some steam + a gentle cleanser. The closed, clean pore sensation is something I always get from some gentle steam before I cleanse. I picked up one of those cheap walmart brand facial steamers from a flea market, cleaned it out, and it works just fine to open my pores.

I DO still use oil on my face--but only as a make up remover. It works brilliant (any cheap oil will do, I use cooking oil sometimes) for water proof make ups and such, and I just wash my skin very thoroughly afterwards since I don't wear make up often enough to justify spending any amount of money on removing it.

Some people get fantastic results with it, but those who don't tend to REALLY regret trying.. and it is a very time consuming process either way in comparison to some warm water, cleanser, rinse.

As a side note, current black heads probably won't clear with oil or cleansing alone. Extraction (especially for deep ones) is really the only way to get them out because they're so dried and buried into the pore. Preventing them is really the key to things.

In your 20's you could definitely just enjoy a very light weight, low dose vitamin A cream every other night, use masks, take care of your skin around your eyes, and use lots of sunscreen. (Is that beat to death yet? haha) I carry a powdered sunscreen in my car in case I forget to put some on, and I get moisturizers with sunscreen in them as well.

I'd caution against a dermaroller ... Unless you're sanitizing it to spa-quality specs each and every time, using that thing to puncture your skin over and over is just asking for really nasty infections to happen. You really don't need to puncture your skin to deliver essential nutrients do it.. you can do it inwardly (with hydration, rest, and a diet that has good collagen and skin building factors in it) and topically just as well and safer at that. I put topical medicines on patients all the time for things like yeast infections and rashes... and trust me, the skin is good at absorbing things. It doesn't need much help.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Back on track :laugh:

Updating on my hair status, I really think I have a winning combination here. I could use some things I've been lazy about purchasing and making, but overall:
- Brush my hair before a shower, and don't get my hair wet but once a week.. The rest of the time I'm using HE's dry shampoo after working out and some heavy-duty moisturizer on the tips to make it smell good.
- I wash my scalp once a week with Nizorcal dandruff shampoo, and wash the rest of my hair with cheap shampoo (tea tree tingle from TJ's in the summer and a French suave-style brand the rest of the year because I get them for free from my exchange)
- Then I use a cleansing conditioner (Herbal Essence's Naked one) on my entire head and let it sit a minute
- Rinse, and then apply a mixture of cheap lightweight conditioner (again, same brand, just the straight conditioner one.. or TJ's tea tree tingle conditioner, which ever one I get my hands on at the flea market) + some very heavy duty conditioner (my go-to brand Soultanicals's lemon head conditioner and leave-in treatment) and let it soak soak soak in while I do whatever it is I do in the shower.
- Gently comb my hair with a wide comb and de-shed it while I rinse out the conditioner, by that point it is easy peasy to comb. I let it air dry after that.

Other than that, throughout the week I apply leave-in moisturizing from soultanical's and dry shampoo as needed. Hair's been growing long and somewhat strong, and not too many issues when I don't deviate from this. This particular dry shampoo/moisturizer routine also helps keep away static and frizz.

What did work and I'm just too lazy to do lately:
- ACV spray overnight day 2 from washing on the scalp directly helps control both dry skin, itching, and dandruff. I had virtually zero dandruff when I used 100% ACV on my scalp once a week along side washing once a week. (Even if I wash more than once the dandruff does not go away)
- A light weight anti-itch moisturizer (I'm using Curel's) the next morning gives it a 1-2 punch, and it helped settle the ACV smell too.
- Spraying some of soultanical's detangling spray/kink drink on my hair before brushing it and whenever I think my hair feels dirty or my scalp dry.. that stuff really did help moisturize my scalp, which is the main source of my dandruff is just dry skin slough.

Update on my skin:
- Still using the Tretinoin cream.. my skin breaks out still, but very tiny and small break outs, definitely manageable.. even big ones that threaten tend to go away before they really amount to everything.. but I am still using it once every other day vs daily because of the burning/redness/irritation/flaking. I use a low dose OTC one on the off days.
- Still using microfiber cloths for exfoliation, that's still working really well. Been 2 years since starting that, and it has still been on par with how I felt with a special exfoliation machine or sponge. Turns out the cheap regular cleaning ones don't work, they have to be waffled like the bar-keep cloths to do real good. Daily exfoliation works best to keep break outs away.
- I need a heavier weight moisturizer for times my skin is really dry from the vitamin A and I also have heaters drying out my skin in my room now. I used body lotion the other that won't clog pores so it was okay for the face, but I'd like something designed to be a bit more soothing.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Hi guys, thank you for the advice. I'm 24, so I should probably chill a bit about anti-aging or I'll start looking underage here. I use a vitamin A cream which I think works, but genetics are also a wonderful thing too.

On a side note, I just got my first Birch Box! I haven't opened it yet but I'm EXCITED. Anyone subscribe to any of this stuff? What are your guys' favorites?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hi guys, thank you for the advice. I'm 24, so I should probably chill a bit about anti-aging or I'll start looking underage here. I use a vitamin A cream which I think works, but genetics are also a wonderful thing too.

On a side note, I just got my first Birch Box! I haven't opened it yet but I'm EXCITED. Anyone subscribe to any of this stuff? What are your guys' favorites?

I got it for some time but I stopped about a year ago. Two things - WEI Chinese Licorice Anti Aging CC Cream and Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. Honey is my favorite color but I use them all. Those products were the best of the best.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Picked up this finely ground loose powder by e.l.f. Never tried their stuff before.

elf-powder.jpg

Has silicones in it - seems to retain moisture effectively. Lot of other powders can exacerbate the flaky phase my skin's going through with tretinoin cream. I don't use the puff it came with, I use a bare minerals kabuki brush instead.

INTP friend turned me on to an alcohol free witch hazel (same as I've been using) with rose water added to it. It seems to calm my skin down pretty well. Has a crisp, light scent; normally I can't stand floral smells.

rosewh_MED.jpg

ingredients: purified water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, glycerin, fragrance (natural rose), hamamelis virginiana extract, rosa centifola flower water, citric acid, citrus frandis seed extract.

Dunno if I posted this before, but I've recently been using an avocado oil/colloidal oatmeal clay mask once or twice a week before showers. Liking it a lot.

cvs-avocado-oatmeal.JPG

[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] - regarding skin dryness/sensitivity from the adjustment phase of tretinoin, I've found that the Monistat chafe relief powder gel a lot of people use for a primer works really well as a skin protectant/soother for tretinoin irritation. I just apply all my usual moisturizers, and put a small amt, like, dime sized or less, of the chafe gel on my face to top everything off, and I peel/dry out a lot less frequently. I got a skin protectant lotion from the hospital once with the same % dimethicone in it as the chafe gel- that's where I got the idea. It's never clogged my pores or broken me out. Might be worth a try.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] (instead of quoting everything XD)

The chafing gel sounds like a good way to go, I'm going to definitely pick that up and give it a try.. I was trying to experiment with the idea of a moisturizing mask before showers as well.. maybe something I can just put on for 5-10 minutes and wash off. The mask I have I am in love with for helping my skin from flaring up, but it can be a little harsh if my face is actively peeling. What I've noticed with the vit. A script cream is that my skin cycles from it and tends to get really irritated, then it backs off and is fine.. then flares up again. Today when I put it on nothing--no irritation, no itching, no redness, it was great. :shrug: so I think some more moisture might help.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I got it for some time but I stopped about a year ago. Two things - WEI Chinese Licorice Anti Aging CC Cream and Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. Honey is my favorite color but I use them all. Those products were the best of the best.
I <3 Fresh Sugar!

Check out what I got from Birchbox and the Beauty Box:
0b218f74-bdfc-4739-8116-497b03065ca2.jpgfdbe61d8-0039-4a09-9adf-257085a023fc.jpg73c5ff6c-9c7a-47c7-94e0-e5843ce0e2a9.jpg
There are a few lip sticks/stains and cheek stains in some ridic colors so I'm pretty excited. I was expecting more pizzazz but I'll give this a solid 3 months before I decide.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Other people say that they like how I style myself, but I don't actually have much to offer here.

Mascara: black, cheap

Eyeshadow: brown, cheap

Lips: not as cheap -

$_1.JPG

This is the only category where I prefer a specific product. For other beauty things, I try variants out more randomly.

Skin: Luck - my sisters have had very bad breakout problems, but I've never had any. A skin routine beyond the minimum of sometimes the same soap as the rest of my body/sometimes just water never had the chance to really occur to me. This is something I'm very grateful for. My skin has some dry and some oily tendencies, but is mostly just neutral.

Hair: Buzz errrrthing. Apparently my hair is in the crew cut family (didn't know that until just now - thank you, Google). I control it with a squeeze of wax most days. I guess I can tell you a lot about short haircuts, having gone through about all of them in the process of getting older and less self-conscious about my preferences. There isn't any drama lost with removing hair - if you don't have much, it all shifts into your head shape, your face, your facial expressions. If you have shapes in those places that you like, this is one way to play with them. Like, I have a long neck and a prominent nose.

Both: Whenever I run into a product that works as combined body wash and shampoo, I buy the most massive available bottle of it.

Aging: Let it show, make a fun game of finding aesthetic ways to play it up.

cover256x256-adb5b94f4a6a4017a4933d9c63e696b3.jpg

"Play" is a word I'll use a lot when talking about appearance.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] (instead of quoting everything XD)

The chafing gel sounds like a good way to go, I'm going to definitely pick that up and give it a try.. I was trying to experiment with the idea of a moisturizing mask before showers as well.. maybe something I can just put on for 5-10 minutes and wash off. The mask I have I am in love with for helping my skin from flaring up, but it can be a little harsh if my face is actively peeling. What I've noticed with the vit. A script cream is that my skin cycles from it and tends to get really irritated, then it backs off and is fine.. then flares up again. Today when I put it on nothing--no irritation, no itching, no redness, it was great. :shrug: so I think some more moisture might help.

I've never tried a moisturizing mask, let me know how that works out and what you used, if you do try it.

Do you wait the 20-30 minutes after washing your face/showering to apply the tretinoin? I only just realized like a year ago that it's listed on the package insert instructions for it. Helps reduce irritation. So far, doing that has lessened the burning/peeling quite a bit. Also switching to a fattier night cream has helped, a bunch. I use the CeraVe PM Lotion. CVS has a generic of it, too.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]

Updates from earlier:

1) I think I found a lotion that works! Didn't end up trying CeraVe, but tried Eucerin and liked it a LOT more than Cetaphil. Fingers crossed that it continues to work this winter.

2) I love that sugar/charcoal facial mask. Been using it once a week and my skin feels SO nice afterwards. <3 Thank you for the recommendation!

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I don't know, I have some cheap ass makeup I got from drug stores, because I'm basically broke. It's not the best. And because I'm a lazy, attractively-impaired bum, I just splash water on my face twice a day. :laugh:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My fav thing is loofah in the shower.

Green clay masks twice weekly (tho I need to get some clay)

and eo infusions with seed oils slathered several times per day.

edit: and i may reconsider and wear eyeliner and mascara again. :unsure:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been using the Stila Stay All Day waterproof liquid eyeliner. I do like it because it comes out pretty "Ungh", but my second one seems to have dried up quickly/ the tip has gotten fuzzies over a short time, which make a nice line difficult.

I'm not big on lipsticks because I have small lips and don't want to smear the ESFP lol, but I'm a bit obsessed lately.
Recently bought Nyx Sweet Pink, and just ordered Nyx Copenhagen and Nyx Violet from their cybermonday sale.