• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
anyone ever used coal tar soap?

my skin has been so itchy lately. i do have eczema and overall very sensitive skin, but the areas i shave have been SO itchy the past couple months. i looked up the problem and coal tar soap was recommended.

i'm thinking of trying a natural health goods store to see if they have any. does it stink? i'm a little offput by the name and appearance.

I use coal tar shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema) and it's been the only thing other than crazy expensive prescription cortisone shampoo that has helped. The smell isn't awesome, but it washes out pretty well. I definitely don't smell like it after I shower.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Update on ACV for scalp: It smells too strong and lasts too long for me to use it daily for 2 weeks at a time. But the days I do treat my scalp with it, jeeze it calms the itching down so so much. I might just suffer through the smell at this rate. My scalp feels great after.

I plan on sticking some tea tree essential oil in it to try and soften the smell some.

I use coal tar shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema) and it's been the only thing other than crazy expensive prescription cortisone shampoo that has helped. The smell isn't awesome, but it washes out pretty well. I definitely don't smell like it after I shower.

what brand do you use?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Update on ACV for scalp: It smells too strong and lasts too long for me to use it daily for 2 weeks at a time. But the days I do treat my scalp with it, jeeze it calms the itching down so so much. I might just suffer through the smell at this rate. My scalp feels great after.

I plan on sticking some tea tree essential oil in it to try and soften the smell some.

what brand do you use?

It was Neutrogena. I think developed an immunity to it or something though because it's not working well anymore. Got a prescription for an anti-fungal shampoo that I'm going to try tomorrow.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It was Neutrogena. I think developed an immunity to it or something though because it's not working well anymore. Got a prescription for an anti-fungal shampoo that I'm going to try tomorrow.

Yeah that is usual--you get 2-3 different shampoos, and rotate them throughout the year (like one every month or so) to keep your scalp guessing. I got so tired of that though. I still haven't found a great shampoo, but I think shampoo bars once I find a good scalp-soothing-and-moisturizing one are going to be the way I go. Plus I've heard some bad things about coal tar, it doesn't have good ratings on the health-promotion thing and if you're all envirohippy it's not a good one either.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah that is usual--you get 2-3 different shampoos, and rotate them throughout the year (like one every month or so) to keep your scalp guessing. I got so tired of that though. I still haven't found a great shampoo, but I think shampoo bars once I find a good scalp-soothing-and-moisturizing one are going to be the way I go. Plus I've heard some bad things about coal tar, it doesn't have good ratings on the health-promotion thing and if you're all envirohippy it's not a good one either.

Yeah... Boo. Mine got so out of control I used the anti-fungal this morning. Nothing makes me feel sexy like using the words "anti-fungal shampoo." :dry:

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Has anyone had problems with this
3125860_8e542e62-c6bd-11e3-8b48-fda94908a8c2.jpg

I've gotten so many little bumps all over my face. I can't tell if it's the new organic sunscreen i started using at the same time as this... :(

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Things I've been trying lately:

The pure ACV directly sprayed onto my scalp. That has been really effective, and anytime my scalp starts to get itchy I spray it down for a few hours before I take a shower.

Pumpkin seed oil for the OCM method. Not sure if I like this or not, it takes my skin time to adjust to a new routine.. but it is lightly hydrating, and while I HATE the green tint on my skin in and of itself (so I might try a different oil if this doesn't work and take it back to trader joes, they have awesome refund policies) I DO like that the green tint means I can tell when I've washed all of the oil off my face for sure, and a light light layer doesn't make my skin green looking. We'll see how my skin handles it. It is also winter time, so my skin is dryer than usual, which could be aiding my blemishes too.

However, microfiber cloths for washing my face is definitely superior. You can use them daily, they're very exfoliating but not irritating, and more useful than a facial sponge or regular wash cloth. They aren't harsh if you just want a light clean, and super scrubby if you don't. And they're stupid cheap now a days. I ended up using large bar cloths so I could use different sections for OCM in the morning on my face, and then I use it as a body washcloth in the evening for my shower. It makes OCM go a lot faster too.

Trader Joes has a tea tree tingle shampoo I bought. And I love it. It's lathery, but no SLS stuff in it, very tingly cooling on the scalp, and has just a very light pepperminty smell to it. I'm trying out the whole bottle before I make a determination, but I might have found a good shampoo for this beast that is my hair.

I've gotten so many little bumps all over my face. I can't tell if it's the new organic sunscreen i started using at the same time as this... :(

I found my skin didn't like or dislike clinique. I got free stuff from them a lot via army girls, and I really never noticed any difference. No clear radiant skin. Nothing more than clean and clear from walmart did. Just sayin'.

The only way to know though is to quit both, and then add one back again once it's clear. If it didn't flare up, then it was the other most likely.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
However, microfiber cloths for washing my face is definitely superior. You can use them daily, they're very exfoliating but not irritating, and more useful than a facial sponge or regular wash cloth. They aren't harsh if you just want a light clean, and super scrubby if you don't. And they're stupid cheap now a days. I ended up using large bar cloths so I could use different sections for OCM in the morning on my face, and then I use it as a body washcloth in the evening for my shower. It makes OCM go a lot faster too.

For some reason, my face started feeling really oily this summer. I figured by winter, this wouldn't be an issue but it has been. A friend of mine uses Salux Japanese cloths and she suggested I try them. They're much longer than a washcloth so you can use them on your back too. They exfoliate gently and my face isn't nearly as oily as it was. They run about $6 on Amazon.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
For some reason, my face started feeling really oily this summer. I figured by winter, this wouldn't be an issue but it has been. A friend of mine uses Salux Japanese cloths and she suggested I try them. They're much longer than a washcloth so you can use them on your back too. They exfoliate gently and my face isn't nearly as oily as it was. They run about $6 on Amazon.

Aren't those way too rough for the face? I use them for my body, but it hurts to even use on my neck, let alone my face. :(

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Aren't those way too rough for the face? I use them for my body, but it hurts to even use on my neck, let alone my face. :(

I haven't seen them in person, they look like they have a scrubby quality to them. Microfiber is gonna be the way to go if you have sensitive skin that hates scrubby stuff. (I used to not, but with age my skin's getting more princessy and now even old wash cloths are like oowww.)

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone got any recommendations for period acne outbreaks? :mad:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I usually use a Clarisonic but I don't feel the cloths are more rough than that. I can see if you have sensitive skin, it would likely hurt or make the issues worse.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5

My face HATES Clinique. It is seriously the worst stuff. The cleansing bar dries me out, toner too harsh and moisturiser not moisturising enough. I know it works for other people, but me? Not so much.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

This is what I have too.. my skin is bad normally, but breaks out. Even on BC it didn't stop it at all. By the time my skin recovers, it's time to start all over again.

So far, just fighting individual bad break outs, microfiber cloth cleaning, switching to a harsher acne-fighting cleanser (I use Hydrovitron from DS labs right now, and it's very harsh like a retinoid cream would be but it's a cleanser so I like it better than the creams) during the times it starts flaring up, using a daily zinc and sulphur mask the entire 1 1/2 weeks before I shower has been the only things helpful. So Far.

I'm starting a new routine with slow implementation based on some research articles I've been finding online. I'm starting with upping my green tea intake to 3 cups a day, and rubbing the tea bag along my face when I'm done drinking it each time. Mechanical gentle 'washing' of the skin 3x a day, plus green tea is suppose to be stupid helpful with inflammation and acne in general.
I started doing toner/cleanser backwards, using witch hazel on my face to knock off some of the dirt and then giving my skin a good scrubbing. I find it cleans it more efficiently that way. Scrubbing my face first, and then using toner only to find dirt has been left behind doesn't really bode well for cleanliness overall.
I'm also switching to a rosehip oil for the linoleic acid content and vitamin E and A content. I was using pumpkin seed oil, with some success, but it is REALLY green and thus it just won't work for what I need.. it dyes everything it touches green lol and most of my sheets and towels are stark white. And I still find it a bit heavy on my skin. OCM cleaning with oils and just a touch of oil in spots I find dry out easy on my face.
I'll be trying zinc supplements once they arrive in the mail.
I'd really like a light weight green tea moisturizer/sunscreen but I haven't found one on the market yet at all besides proactiv.
I really do like Murad's spray-on acne fighter for the body, for my shoulders and neck and chest area, but it's expensive and I haven't broken down and bought it yet. :/

The mask thing in the short term has been really effective, and wearing it about 10-20 minutes before I jump in the shower or while I eat breakfast but before I brush my teeth helps a ton.

The mask I use is from YG Labs it's called Zinc and Sulfur mask and it's a clay mask.

LonestarCowgirl

The holidays are coming up and since I'm often asked about my eyes and how they're done, I'll share my top eye enhancer secrets:
  • Salon lash extensions. Mascara not required. Redo every 2-3wks. Try them! Worth it!
  • For a more dramatic look on special occasions, Winks by Georgie are by far the best false lashes I've worn! I like style, L'Avant Gardiste.
  • If you're on a budget, I think the best drugstore mascara on natural lashes is Almay One Coat Triple Effect.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
The holidays are coming up and since I'm often asked about my eyes and how they're done, I'll share my top eye enhancer secrets:
  • Salon lash extensions. Mascara not required. Redo every 2-3wks. Try them! Worth it!
  • For a more dramatic look on special occasions, Winks by Georgie are by far the best false lashes I've worn! I like style, L'Avant Gardiste.
  • If you're on a budget, I think the best drugstore mascara on natural lashes is Almay One Coat Triple Effect.

I would also recommend single lashes dropped randomly on the lashline, or just at the end if that's where you're missing length(like I do)

Do you have any face creams with retinol? My face has been going crazy ever since I stopped using my Neutrogena healthy skin face cream(which has retinol in it). I still got pimples but tiny red ones that went away in a day or two. Now I'm getting cystic acne all over again.
Retinol is the way to go, guys. :cry:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I've tried everything. Natural, harsh, over the counter, prescription topicals, even the retinols. The only thing that gets it under control for me is taking an oral anti-biotic AND using a prescription topical. I'm on minocycline and use Duac (BenzaClin) right now. If it's bad enough, and you have other nasty PMS symptoms birth control might be worth a shot. But, it really depends on the type of acne you get. I get awful cystic acne around my chin, jawline, and back. As well as pustules and black heads all over my cheeks. If you don't have the cysts the right topical may be sufficient. I was pretty resistant to going back on a prescription, but then they started scarring and I gave up.