• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone tried any of the face products with charcoal in them?

This charcoal mask has been a decent exfoliator for my face once/twice a week. Best used in the shower.
The brand is kinda gimmicky, but the product itself is good. It's not 'all natural' - but the chemical additives are fairly limited.

l526730b98dc9c.jpg

https://www.freemanbeauty.com/product/charcoal-black-sugar-facial-polishing-mask

I've used a few sample sized activated charcoal cleansers, and while they haven't irritated my skin or anything, I see no remarkable difference in my skin beyond what I get from cleansers containing salicyclic acid instead. That charcoal mask is definitely a favorite in terms of scrubs, though. It is rather coarse, so a gentle hand is necessary. Makes my skin really soft afterward. Sunscreen's even more important if you're using a strong exfoliant, though, so it's good to keep that in mind. Sunscreens containing titanium dioxide & zinc oxide minerals (natural physical barriers) are good for sensitive skinned people & those who are trying to limit chemical products.

*tips hat*

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This charcoal mask has been a decent exfoliator for my face once/twice a week. Best used in the shower.
The brand is kinda gimmicky, but the product itself is good. It's not 'all natural' - but the chemical additives are fairly limited.

I've been using this too. I really like it so far!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Best make up remover I've ever used: oil. Just oil with castor oil in it. Mascara used to make me SCRUB my eyeballs like crazy, all those milky "oooh la la" bullshits didn't ever work for me. I'd stick them on, then scrub them off.. and still have little streaks under my eyes the next morning. I dab like 30% castor oil + 70% of some other oil on my face and eyelashes, rub it in for a moment, and run pretty hot water on a microfiber cloth and all that stuff comes right off without really scrubbing at it all. If I could do OCM all the time I would (I'm lazy) because I think there is something do that.. but I just use it as make up remover right now. I run witch hazel on a cotton ball over my face after and no make up gets left behind, not even small black streaks from mascara and eyeliner.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Best make up remover I've ever used: oil. Just oil with castor oil in it. Mascara used to make me SCRUB my eyeballs like crazy, all those milky "oooh la la" bullshits didn't ever work for me. I'd stick them on, then scrub them off.. and still have little streaks under my eyes the next morning. I dab like 30% castor oil + 70% of some other oil on my face and eyelashes, rub it in for a moment, and run pretty hot water on a microfiber cloth and all that stuff comes right off without really scrubbing at it all. If I could do OCM all the time I would (I'm lazy) because I think there is something do that.. but I just use it as make up remover right now. I run witch hazel on a cotton ball over my face after and no make up gets left behind, not even small black streaks from mascara and eyeliner.
Bioderma-Sensibio-H2O-Micellar-Cleansing-Water-.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION] I found that french stuff just tended to be way cooler than american stuff.

I use a saline rinse all the time for allergies, and the french one I used lasted twice as long and was cheaper and gentler than the gentle ones here in the US.

But that stuff is no where near as cheap as castor oil + sunflower or almond oil.

Raffaella

bon vivant
For anyone with sensitive eyes, this is the gentlest eye make remover:

AVOID this, it'll burn your eyes:

For those with acne-prone skin, I strongly recommend that you don't use natural make-up as it will exacerbate your condition (because they're large molecules and therefore will block your pores).

Surprisingly good

0030_1312.jpg

I have this in the undercover pot version, it's one of my favourite concealers. I really love Laura Mercier's products because they're not thick or sticky. Have you tried her translucent loose setting powder? It's the best powder I'd used. Her faux mascara is incredible, too but it's only for going out.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Somehow I always end up stumbling across Mary Kay people, in my life -- had two friends in high school who sold products, and a coworker invited me to someone's Mary Kay party last year -- so I usually use the Mary Kay brand of eye makeup remover. It's pretty efficient, in that you don't have to use a lot of it to remove all your eye makeup, and it doesn't irritate my eyes like other brands do.

[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] how much do those oils cost? Where do you get them?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
planning to use some tea tree essential oil for my face. anyone have any experience with it?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
how much do those oils cost? Where do you get them?

Essential Oils, Soap Making Supplies & More | Bulk Apothecary

That's where I bought it from, but you can really get those oils for a little more expensive at Michaels or something. Castor oil is like at walmart, just don't get the one made for being a laxative. They're stupid cheap though. I spent like $5 on my carrier oils and they've lasted me like 3 years and I'm still on the first mix of them.. so you really don't need all of what you end up buying.

If you want to know what to mix, look up OCM methods.. and you can make up a nice, lovely oily concoction and it'll work for sure for make-up removal.

planning to use some tea tree essential oil for my face. anyone have any experience with it?

It's really irritating alone, I'd use a mild carrier oil to mix it in with. I do use it pretty much straight on mosquito bites though. Tea tree is awesome, I stick it in hot water when I have a cold and hang out over it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looking for some advice.

See, I prefer keeping my eyeshadow fairly light these days. Was getting into liquid shadows I'd gotten samples of. Liked how the smooth application minimizes tugging on the delicate eye area. Been looking everywhere for a matte (no shine or shimmery crap) muted purple shadow. The closest I've come is this cream shadow by Maybelline 'Color Tattoo' 24hr eyeshadow line:

While I love the color, the consistency of the shadow itself is very thick, almost stiff/waxy. Instructions on the Maybelline site suggest dabbing on the lids with your fingertips, but I felt like the thickness of the product made that kind of difficult to do without needlessly tugging on my lids. I also was trying to go for a sheer application, just a hint of color, which has been easy with other liquid shadows.

Anyway - I'm not that well-versed when it comes to makeup. What'm I doing wrong with this one? Anyone have any good application tips for this sort of..texture? Again, I really hate doing anything that involves pulling on my eyelids too much- so I'm trying to figure out a gentle way to apply this stuff lightly, & evenly.

Thanks in advance.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Looking for some advice.

See, I prefer keeping my eyeshadow fairly light these days. Was getting into liquid shadows I'd gotten samples of. Liked how the smooth application minimizes tugging on the delicate eye area. Been looking everywhere for a matte (no shine or shimmery crap) muted purple shadow. The closest I've come is this cream shadow by Maybelline 'Color Tattoo' 24hr eyeshadow line:

While I love the color, the consistency of the shadow itself is very thick, almost stiff/waxy. Instructions on the Maybelline site suggest dabbing on the lids with your fingertips, but I felt like the thickness of the product made that kind of difficult to do without needlessly tugging on my lids. I also was trying to go for a sheer application, just a hint of color, which has been easy with other liquid shadows.

Anyway - I'm not that well-versed when it comes to makeup. What'm I doing wrong with this one? Anyone have any good application tips for this sort of..texture? Again, I really hate doing anything that involves pulling on my eyelids too much- so I'm trying to figure out a gentle way to apply this stuff lightly, & evenly.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use a finger, I would probably go with an angled eyeliner brush.

I can't use anything but a powder anymore. It just causes too much tugging on my eyelids. That type of brush works well on both upper and lower lids.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Elf and Clinique have some really creamy (non waxy) cream eye shadows. They also have some Matte powder shadows.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] & [MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION] - noted, and thanks. I have a brush like that - never used it. I'll try to warm it up with my hands and then maybe use the brush for blending & see what happens. & thanks for the brand recommendations, too. Seems like matte colors are hard to find beyond 'nude' earthy tones.

*edit* - warming it up in my hands + applying a bit of a dimethicone-based primer to my eyelids exponentially improved application. A brush helped with blending at the crease.
Thanks again, guys! (now I don't feel like I wasted $ on that eyeshadow)

Last edited:

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I’m not going to do a commercial..
But for everyday makeup I don’t like sparkles or heavy pigments.
I’ll just apply a my foundation lightly, a pink/orange blush, a gloss and light mascara.
If I used eyeliners I’d use black and apply thin lines or underline my eyes with blue/green ones during summer.
In parties I love to wear smoky eyes and red lipstick.
Thats all I want to talk about for now.​

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] & [MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION] - noted, and thanks. I have a brush like that - never used it. I'll try to warm it up with my hands and then maybe use the brush for blending & see what happens. & thanks for the brand recommendations, too. Seems like matte colors are hard to find beyond 'nude' earthy tones.

I prefer Matte Colours as well. It is difficult to find anything other than a few(similar in color) earthy nudes, so you are right.

I found some "recommendations online" which seem really nice:

Bobbi Brown-- they look gorgeous. Try them out on the back of your hand when you are in sephora.
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Review / Leading Instant Eye Lift | Safe and quick fix for droopy, sagging, hooded eyes or ptosis | Lily Leading Instant Eyelift

Sonia Kashuk- affordable, lovely, and super practical purchase.
Maggie's Makeup: Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral Matte Palette

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is making me want to try new things with eye makeup... my everyday routine is mascara, liquid eyeliner (sort of cat-eye), and lip color, and that's it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Looking for some advice.

Maybe I'm completely off-base and wrong on this.. but if you like it and just need it a little thinner, could you do something like mix it on a brush with a bit of eye lotion? It could thin it out and moisturize your eyes too... the moisturizer will set and the color will stay.

This is making me want to try new things with eye makeup... my everyday routine is mascara, liquid eyeliner (sort of cat-eye), and lip color, and that's it.

:( this thread usually just makes me feel bad for not knowing anything about anything.
My make up routine right now when I wear it (6-8 times a year) is a free sample of philosophy I have in a container BB cream, some powder that's way too old to be used still but I never buy more because I never use it, mascara, and some eye pencil and I trace under my lashes because I dont know how girls put the pencil just on top of the lower lashes without their eyes stinging and crying all night. Then lip gloss that I got for free from a sister I think. I don't even know how to apply eye colors without giving myself a black eye...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gah, sharing all this is making me realize I've become such a damn, girl. :doh:

Ah well.

Just wanted to post this.. I was surprised how well these worked.
My skin get irritated REALLY easily when shaving. Legs/armpits/groin.

These 2 products (ridiculously cheap) have been consistently awesome. I'm smooth for days, everywhere. No cuts/bumps/redness at all.

CVS brand disposable razors:

5042808729.jpg

& this cheap shaving cream from the makers of Barbasol:

sc-sensitive-skin.png

I've found trial sizes of it at CVS for $1.49, & full-size bottles at the dollar store, & grocery store for $1.99.
Can is rust-proof, too. Kind of a perk if rust stains in the shower bother you.

For the nether regions, I use those^ 2 products in the shower, & apply this chafe relief gel immediately after drying off:

300.jpg

From the makers of Monistat - but it is not a yeast infection treatment. The packaging would probably garner more attention if it didn't resemble that medication, & if they shelved it further away from their main products, but, oh well. You can get $2-off coupons for this product on their site. Reviews on drugstore.com are pretty accurate. Apparently this has become a secret makeup primer for a bunch of people (read reviews on drugstore.com & makeupalley). Comparable to Smashbox primer & some other high end ones. It's primarily dimethicone & some other silicone agents. Whatever you use it for, it keeps things super soft & reduces irritation. Not greasy at all, either. Dries to a powder-finish, almost. Encouraging people to try this stuff so they don't discontinue it, haha.

As for a post-shower body moisturizer, I've become a fan of Olay Quench body lotion. Really lightweight/fast absorbing, mild scent. Lot of niacinamide & vitamin E in it. I don't use this on top of the chafe-relief gel in the bikini area, though. I find that it causes irritation, but only in that area- so I avoid contact, there.

Welp, that's it.
:drwho: