• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there's two types of brushes, synthetic hairs and natural hairs.
synthetic is usually cheaper and picks up more product so you'll
need a light light touch and is more ideal for liquid/creams
ie lipstick/concealer. natural hairs hold products better, and is
usually preferred for powders ie eyeshadows/loose powder/
blush/compact powder.
I'm kinda confused about this distinction. It seems like something that picks up a lot of product would also hold onto it? But essentially liquid = synthetic and powder=natural? That I can remember.

And it seems like shape matters more than brand, other than for how long the brush lasts before it falls apart? And beyond synthetic vs natural division, does it matter what exactly the brushes are made of? Different kinds of fur or whatever?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Picks up a lot of product" - does not absorb the product -- therefore releases a lot of product. Like if you scrape paint off of a palette with a palette knife. You've picked up a lot of product -- it doesn't stick to the palette knife, it gets deposited onto the canvas. Or think of trying to cut a pat of butter off of a stick -- you don't want it to stay on your knife, you want to put it down cleanly. Then you spread it out on warm toast. You're doing sort of the same thing with foundation.

Natural bristles that hold a lot of product are more like a sponge that absorbs, then releases as you put pressure on it. This is good because you don't want powder flying all over the place, so the bristles gather up the powder and then release it gradually as you brush your face (or eyelid or whatever).

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
For skincare, I recommend going to a dermatologist who has an esthetician on site. The benefit of this is that you can have someone who is highly trained to look at your skin and tell you what you need, plus they do medical facials which are more clarifying to the skin than facials given outside of a Dr's office. They have access to all sorts of variations of medical grade skincare products which have been approved by the FDA vs. over the counter grade products that are sold in stores which have not been. Believe it or not, medical grade skincare products are not only purer and more potent, but sometimes less expensive or comparable in price because you are not paying for the packaging and hype, plus you only have to use a tiny bit daily because it's more concentrated. You don't have to get a facial or see the doctor if you want to buy the products though. You just visit the office and ask for them. If it's something extremely potent they will probably explain it to you or instruct/caution you.

Here are the two lines that I currently use, but I am thinking of changing to all natural skincare soon.

Mostly these:
http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx

And sunscreen from here:
http://revisionskincare.com/

Can you guys for real go to a derm anytime you want? In Canada (at least my province), you only can go to one for serious skin condition if nyou are referred for it.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
"Picks up a lot of product" - does not absorb the product -- therefore releases a lot of product. Like if you scrape paint off of a palette with a palette knife. You've picked up a lot of product -- it doesn't stick to the palette knife, it gets deposited onto the canvas. Or think of trying to cut a pat of butter off of a stick -- you don't want it to stay on your knife, you want to put it down cleanly. Then you spread it out on warm toast. You're doing sort of the same thing with foundation.

Natural bristles that hold a lot of product are more like a sponge that absorbs, then releases as you put pressure on it. This is good because you don't want powder flying all over the place, so the bristles gather up the powder and then release it gradually as you brush your face (or eyelid or whatever).

Ah, that makes sense! So do I want something kind of flat for foundation?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you guys for real go to a derm anytime you want? In Canada (at least my province), you only can go to one for serious skin condition if nyou are referred for it.

No, it's mostly the same here unless you have a really good/expensive health insurance plan. Most people have to pay for it out of pocket otherwise when it's not a serious skin condition. If you want the skincare products I mentioned though, you only need to walk in to the office and ask to buy them at the front desk. They will sell them to you without an appointment. I think there are also online retailers on their website.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, that makes sense, thanks!

F

figsfiggyfigs

maybelline-super-stay-24-hour-colour.jpg

Maybelline+SuperStay+24+Hr+Color1.JPG

The colours are powerful, and true to the appearance. They look just like they are advertised. They last extremely long(without feeling cakey, like it's cracking or "smudging off", that even after I had washed my face, there is still a tint of colour that lasts till the next morning.
Very long lasting, very colourful, one application makes it VERY worth it. I just put a dab on my bottom lip and spread it around with my finger; I like the effect to be minimal.

It was so good, my mother went out and got one too.

There is "pearly" and "matte" colour choices.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You might have seen this by now, it's gone viral, but I thought it would be interesting to toss in here. I was kind of amazed at how bad her acne actually was/is, compared to how she can cover it enough to land modeling jobs.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8"]Covering Acne[/YOUTUBE]

I feel kind of fortunate that my skin is so good and I don't have to deal with this. (I have more trouble with my brows and eyeshadow.)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You might have seen this by now, it's gone viral, but I thought it would be interesting to toss in here. I was kind of amazed at how bad her acne actually was/is, compared to how she can cover it enough to land modeling jobs.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8"]Covering Acne[/YOUTUBE]

I feel kind of fortunate that my skin is so good and I don't have to deal with this. (I have more trouble with my brows and eyeshadow.)
wow, I'm impressed, considering how much of a pain it is to cover even a few zits. Expensive makeup does help, I guess. *takes notes* Although I'd be worried about coating it in makeup making it break out even more.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Domino and I have had trouble with break outs on our faces, upper chests, and backs since we were teenagers. We FINALLY found something that stops it, or at least heals it very very quickly. Dont know if anyone else here has problem skin that's also sensitive, but here's the product.

http://www.vitacost.com/CSI-Vitamin-C-12-Youth-Serum

And at $15.00, it doesnt make you want to scream and clutch your wallet. Well, at least not because you paid too much for something. Sometimes I still like to scream and clutch just for fun.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Went Christmas shopping at Sephora the other day and ended up with two things for myself. It's not my fault they make the fun gift sets at Christmas, at such great prices! :-D

One of the things I got (Can't find a pic right now) is a set of lip glosses and lipsticks/lipstains, with stuff from Lancome, Tarte, Benefit, Kat von D, Buxom, etc. All in shades I will use! Also got a great Bare Minerals set for $20 with two eyeshadows, full mascara and liner, and a gorgeous red lip gloss thing. And I'm getting the Naked palette for Christmas from my sister! Squee!

Lark

Coming to this thread late in the day and not wanting to review the whole thing, is there a lot of products included in this which may be for men or is this really a ladies thread? Also does anyone have a simple rule for telling the cosmetic con trick from the genuine product which is going to provide benefit?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Coming to this thread late in the day and not wanting to review the whole thing, is there a lot of products included in this which may be for men or is this really a ladies thread? Also does anyone have a simple rule for telling the cosmetic con trick from the genuine product which is going to provide benefit?

I don't recall seeing any men products in this thread and unfortunately I'm not up on them. As for the bolded, doing your research helps. With makeup I watch/read reviews and just do good old fashion testing at the makeup counter. I'm also concerned about ingredients, which is why I like all-natural makeups. With skincare, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I like all-natural products (i.e. ones that are organic or that I make myself) or going with what a dermatologist recommend. I completely stay away from skincare products sold in department stores.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went to Sephora the other day and found a lipstick I love- Intimidation. Fitting name. I mixed a little with Seduction and mischievously smiled at guys in stores.

If you want really nice skin, here is something that works for me- sugar and oil. About half and half. Maybe a little more sugar for more exfoliation.

I start out with a warm or hot shower and after I shave/wash I scrub my body with the mixture. It makes my skin so soft and smooth. During this, I turn the water down to cold (pretty much when I feel like I am getting too hot). The cold water makes my hair really, really shiny.

It is good, especially if I don't have lotion/body butter (body butter is my new favorite thing to moisturize with). I would also recommend if you are planning on wearing a dress or skirt or shorts (without tights/stockings, of course). It makes your legs shine in a really sexy way.

For acne- neem oil. I hate the smell of it, but I must confess, it is a miracle for acne. You can get some at those health supplement stores. We have this:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=319622&catid=182918&aid=338666&aparam=319622

and if I break out, I apply. Even if you are at the apex of acne, it works amazingly.