• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
WHY do Asians have such fuckin shiny hair? Do they all have some kind of conspiracy secret? I think I'm at a distinct disadvantage because I'm a blonde, and I have more of the soft 'glow' halo thing going on with my hair rather than that super glassy, sleek sex bomb OMFG take your clothes off right now type of hair I want. :cry:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I absolutely adore the Urban Decay Naked palette, works perfectly for fair skin and all the pretty brown and coppers make blue eyes really pop.

My favourite red lipstick (im still new to lip colour, having large full lips always made me feel a little clownish wearing anything other than nudes or shimmers) is Benefit's full finish lipstick in 'espionage'. It's a black-cherry/plummy colour and works amazingly on pale skin.

Screenshot2011-09-07at71905PM.png

how's the lipstick's consistency?
i've never really tried benefit's
lipsticks, though i i love the
benetint lipbalm. i wear mostly
eye makeup and usually leave
my lips nude or tinted balms.

i like fresh's sugar lip balms a lot.
because i like a little tint. but benetint
lip is much much more nourishing.

5486063761_f8fa01e1ae.jpg

dark+lips,+lined+eyes.jpg

I want to find a lipstick that's about this colour... I've been told it would go nicely with my colouring, which is very similar to the girl in this pic. Any suggestions, ladies? :)

it looks like mac's limited edition (and a fave of mine) prince noir (third from the left)

MAC+Make+Me+Over+lipsticks+Runway+Red+Rebel+Prince+Noir+Smoked+Purple.jpg

Runway Red, Rebel, Prince Noir, Smoked Purple

MAC+Make+Me+Over+Haul+-+Lipstick+Swatches.jpg

Swatches: Runway Red, Rebel, Prince Noir, Smoked Purple

this is from their fall 2011 make me over collection.

---i'm not the biggest fan of mac lipsticks aside
that they have an insane amount of colours to
choose, but their durability is terrible for my lips.
plus if you have slightly drier lips (i do because i
lick them a lot) holy moly! all the uneven bumpies
and i dunno shows up. even with darker shades.

my favourite bold colour lipssticks are actually
grom giorgio armani. very nourishing.

my favourite red is: giorgio armani shine lipstick #8
goes on very, very smooth, pigmented just right to
go for a stained lip or build up to a bold colour, and
most importantly moisturizing.

#8 swatch:
3360372026877_SWATCH_8_SHINELIPSTICK.JPG

packaging looks like this:
sc_10031260ce8c559906a77b43628fc5012082ef.jpg

i couldn't find a good picture of #8
so i just took a picture of mine,
which isn't that great, but works.
i think they're about $27

315022_1901314542621_1534430057_31486513_1928764781_n.jpg

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I want to go to mmhmm's house for a makeover!

I've wanted to try Chanel foundation for a long time. I have really pale skin (dark hair, blue-green eyes), but I find it really hard to find a shade that blends in properly. I've tried Diorskin and HDMakeup Forever in department store brands and pretty much all drugstore brands. The closest I've found is Covergirl, which is either a shade that is slightly too pale and ghosty or slightly too dark and doesn't blend in properly.

it seems awfully nerdy, but the only way i can test which foundation works for me
is i take a little pillbox, the ones with the different compartments, and i make
the sales lady squeeze a little sample into them. then i take it and apply it when
i'm out in natural light. testing it on my hand and arm only doesn't work, it's
either too orange or too yellow most of time.

i have to swatch it on my face.

thought i look for the consistency/blendability/wearability i need first, then the shade.

[MENTION=7160]Nijntje[/MENTION] mentioned she is quite fair, and uses nc15 from mac.
but i forget if that's foundation or just powder, perhaps she can
help.

I have some sun damage discolouration on my upper lip that gets worse during the summer that is hard to cover. I wear high SPF La Roche Posay (I've been happy with that stuff and think the money is worth it if you get it on sale, because I don't live in a hot climate, so I am not reapplying a bunch of times a day). Do you guys have any recommendations for concealer? The closest I've found is the palest cover girl stuff in a stick which is not a shade, but is supposed to neutralize. I've heard that something purplish-blue should help, but haven't found anything that's the ticket yet.

i loooove la roche posay!

concealer i love benefit's erase paste. very easy to blend,
and it just dissapears into my skin and helps to even out my
skintone. i have dark spots from sun damage and acne scarring
and it works like magic. i use medium.

i need concealer that i can dab with my fingers, and i don't like
using a brush for concealer.

i actually got it as a part of this set: confessions of a concealaholic

Benefit-Cosmetics-Confessions-of-a-Concealaholic.jpg

however i use this on my cheeks and prefer a seperate concealer
for my eyes. they have two other concealers in there from the boing
range so you can mix it your self, but it wasn't made to blend into one
another, i think they're great as seperate products (the circle pans)
for the any are but my eyes

i actually prefer laura mercier's secret camouflage for under my eyes.
Laura_Mercier_Secret_Camouflage_SC1

product description:
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage completely camouflages dark circles, minor imperfections and discolorations. Secret Camouflage contains a unique two-shade system, one to match the skins depth of color and one to match the skins undertone, making it possible for every woman to custom-blend her own perfect shade.

Also, I'm beginning to get some gray hairs - not enough that they stand out a lot, but enough that it would be a bad idea to just pluck them (yeah, I know, I know!). I haven't decided what to do about it yet. I don't like the idea of the chemicals in a lot of hair dye, my sister does the henna thing, but I'm not so sure about it (she looks great with reddish hair, even though she started out with brown). I don't think I want a permanent hair dye until I figure out what kind of colour works best for me and get used to applying it. I'd prefer something that just fades out for now, but there is very little to choose from anymore that is semi-permanent. I talked to the hair dresser - her suggestion was highlights, but I don't really love that look and it still doesn't deal with the grays scattered throughout my hair. I'd like whatever I have to look natural. Any ideas?

i haven't found a good solution for my greys either.
i recently took the plunge and did a permanent gloss.
i have very dark hair and am always afraid that it will
go brassy. so i went for a deep brown with a violet/blue
base to match my skin tone which is more tanned.

i don't like henna personally, even if used with indigo,
because i'm always afraid the red will show up.

my vegan friends really like herbatint and lush henna
though.

http://www.herbatint.co.uk/
http://www.lush.co.uk/shop/product/product/path/147_153/id/391/handmade-hair-henna-caca-noir

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I tried some of benefit's concealer, but not erase paste. I'll give that a shot. I've also heard great things about Laura Mercier's concealer.

Like you, I make them do the little sample thing of foundation now. I tried that with MAC, but didn't find anything that matched very well with my undertones. Have you ever tried those places where they custom blend foundation? How do you feel about HD foundations? I've consistently seen good reviews about Chanel's foundations for consistency and coverage, but they don't sell them anywhere near me. We have a Sephora opening soon though. Would they carry that?

I had a hard time finding any blushes that worked for a long time too, but have found that Maybelline's fair skin section of blushes are great and the NARS orgasm blush is good, although I've never bothered investing in it, just had samples.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I tried some of benefit's concealer, but not erase paste. I'll give that a shot. I've also heard great things about Laura Mercier's concealer.

Like you, I make them do the little sample thing of foundation now. I tried that with MAC, but didn't find anything that matched very well with my undertones. Have you ever tried those places where they custom blend foundation? How do you feel about HD foundations? I've consistently seen good reviews about Chanel's foundations for consistency and coverage, but they don't sell them anywhere near me. We have a Sephora opening soon though. Would they carry that?

i've actually never used their foundations,
but i know they have quite an impressive
range of colours. and i loooooove their
primer, goes on amazingly. i love the hd
primer even more than the smashbox.

a lot of people rave about their foundation,
but i had already found my chanel, so i just
stuck with it. i did switch my cheaper primer
to MUFE's HD primer though and they're perfect.

[MENTION=13653]ICUP[/MENTION] and i were discussing primers here:

i'm not sure if sephora has chanel makeup,
i know they carry their fragrances. and i took
a quick look on their website, i didn't see any.
most department stores should carry chanel though.

I had a hard time finding any blushes that worked for a long time too, but have found that Maybelline's fair skin section of blushes are great and the NARS orgasm blush is good, although I've never bothered investing in it, just had samples.

cream blushes, cheek stains will last
longer than powders. and if you use
a primer, it just extends the wear of
your makeup.

i talked a little bit about blushes:
benefit's cheek stains
drugstore vs counter brands creme blush

and man nothing really beats maybelline in
value and usability when it comes to creme blushes:
Dream%20MousseT%20Blush.jpg

i prefer using cheek stains though,
they are much easier to work with.
i also love tarte (available at sephora):
the doll face colour has been popular and
i recall it's recommended for fair skin, i have
it and use it and it gives me a wonderful subtle
glow, as if i had just been naughty in the
server room during my break. hahahahaha.

135.jpg

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
it seems awfully nerdy, but the only way i can test which foundation works for me
is i take a little pillbox, the ones with the different compartments, and i make
the sales lady squeeze a little sample into them. then i take it and apply it when
i'm out in natural light. testing it on my hand and arm only doesn't work, it's
either too orange or too yellow most of time.

i have to swatch it on my face.

thought i look for the consistency/blendability/wearability i need first, then the shade.

I DO THIS TOO!

It's the best way to get correct colour matching, esp when having 'tricky' skintones, (anything other than a caucasian tanable or olive hide)

[MENTION=7160]Nijntje[/MENTION] mentioned she is quite fair, and uses nc15 from mac.
but i forget if that's foundation or just powder, perhaps she can
help.

I use the nc15 as a concealer, but i rarely wear foundation, so basically, it also kind doubles as a foundation. i will use it on spots as well as just a little around the t-zone after priming to just even things out. The nc15 can come as powder and foundation as well if you're that way inclined. When i use Mac foundation i have the MAC Select SPF 15 foundation in NW15, it's slightly darker for summer so if i get ANY colour it compensates.

I'm actually going to have to find some new things soon, as i used Prescriptives custom blend foundation and powder. They stopped that service about a year ago and i have one unopened bottled left in the fridge before it all runs out on me and i have to go searching for new things :c

From what i remember, the Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation (which i can't find my tube of atm - DAMMIT!!) came in fair friendly colours, i didn't like it so much because it had quite a silicone-y base and felt odd on my skin.

[MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] Benefit's full finish lipstick has nice creamy coverage, that stays quite well and has good intense colour.

Elias Faas also has AMAZING lip colours, they come in creamy (more matte), milky (slightly sheer) and glazed (high pigment and shine)

My favourite for pop is Milky Lips L202

L202_49a423615ea14_170x154.jpg

Build with a touch of gloss and it makes an amazing pout.

for an every day colour i like the Milky Lip in L207

L207_49a427129b07b_170x154.jpg

3.jpg49a56ef8e759b_170x170.jpg

They're about $35 USD. But last and last.

http://www.ellisfaas.com/

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
all this makeup talk, i went on a haul.
the beauty hall at my local department
store was 15% off, so i stocked up on
favourites and got fun new stuff.

320692_1902298647223_1534430057_31487217_857556925_n.jpg

P170800_LARGE.jpg
0170880.jpg

chanel vitalumiere aqua. i wear b30 beige sable

chanel-531-peridot-swatch-illusion-d-ombre-fall-2011-nail-polish_04.jpg

chanel nail polish 531 peridot

nars-laguna-portrait-of-paradise-blush-bronzer-trio.jpg

NARS summer 2011 limited edition blush bronzer trio: orgasm, albatross + laguna
laguna is my favourite bronzer for contouring hands down.
(for sunkissed i'm addicted to guerlain's terracotta range, and
have been using it since high school)

[MENTION=7160]Nijntje[/MENTION] i wonder what kind of colours do you use as bronzer?
and contouring? if you use any? are you able to use laguna,
or is it much to dark for you?

M1XG12.jpg

mac eye kohl in phone number (smudgy gray).
i really love mac kohls for lining the waterline.
they glide on a dream but they are not waterproof.
if i'm in air conditioning all day long the last well.
i don't use these in my upper waterline though.

M3RY06.jpg

powerpoint eye pencil in navy stain (i think i'm going through a blue phase)
these are actually waterproof, but don't glide on
as well as the kohl. but it's such a fantastic colour.
poppity pop pop.

MAC182.jpg

mac 182. i love this brush, i wanted a
second one to keep in the car. i can buff
my face all day with this. feels so good.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION]

Sadly the Laguna is too dark unless i'm sporting a fake tan, WHICH, Ella Bache make an amazing self tan, it's lovely and olivey rather than orange or brassy. tinted so you can see where it's going and just one layer on me, gives a nice summer glow. Then i go utterly nuts on Laguna. I have such a hard on for NARS products.

I DO love Orgasm though, and i use that, for bronzing and conturing i used to benefit products.

For bronzing i use Benefit's Hoola

8796471951390.png

8796471820318.png

and the other blush of theirs i love for that naughty in the server room flush is Benefit's Sugar Bomb.

8796480012318.png

The four shades of peach, soft plum, pink and rose are shimmery and soft and let you build up colour if not using a creme blush

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fine...hide all your asian hair secrets then. :tongue10:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
pravana biojen 9? Sounds like some kind of secret truth serum that a spy would be assigned to get their hands on. What is it really?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is L'Oreal True Match available to you? Their C-1 Alabaster might work, with the blush called Baby Blossom. (Or N1 or W1, whichever -- am I remembering correctly that you're cool toned, though? in which case it would be C1)

Estee Lauder understands cool toned pale people. MAC really doesn't. All their foundations lean yellow.

Graftobian is good foundation and you can buy a palette of their lightest range. They also have very light concealers in a range of tones.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never tried Estee Lauder or Graftobian. I'll look into that as well.

I tried all three TrueMatch ones (lightest shade and also one shade darker with the neutral). Neutral1 comes the closest, but is a little ashy. Cool is pink on me and Warm is yellow!

rav3n

I'll tell my wife, but she's very conservative in such matters.
Your wife and I should hang out and have a girl's makeup night! Conservative as well with colours, finding bright colours too brash with asian skin.

Neutrals/cool tones that include assorted shades of browns/beiges, silver to charcoal to black, cool tone bronzes that lean a touch peach and some near black blues, at least as it relates to shadows. I use either MAC or Aveda.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ooh, jumping in here! Make-up nOOb...I seldom wear it and don't know a lot about it. Halp!

Foundation! I've never been able to find some to match my skin tones. I want something light but not cover up my freckles. My coloring is a kind of coppery...leaning toward burnt orange shade, not reddish copper. Are the mineral make-up products good for this?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Has anyone heard of the brand lumene?? They have fantastic liquid foundation.