• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
any rec's for foundations for Asian skin?

And I wear purple liner, supposedly it makes dark brown eyes pop.

the most important thing to remember about foundation
is that it's not going to act like a concealer. so don't get
one to hide all your dark spots--use a concealer. foundations
just stabilize and even out your overall skintone.

i loooove Chanel's VITALUMIÈRE AQUA ULTRA-LIGHT SKIN PERFECTING MAKEUP SPF 15 ($45.00)
it goes on like a tinted moisturizer, very, very light, and
gives amazing coverage. i have a lot of discolouration
on my cheeks from acne scarring and this does great
day-to-day job. it's very light and stands the heat and
does not get cakey.

P170800_LARGE.jpg

product description
The tiniest drop of this new hybrid fluid creates a fresh, natural complexion. Skin looks refined and feels refreshed, creating an exquisite makeup experience. The fluid formula has a soft, water-light texture, and comes in 10 shades that match perfectly to skin’s undertones, whether pink or beige. Dermatologist-tested. Non-comedogenic. Oil- free.

there's also the original one which is not as sheer at the aqua:
P161406_LARGE.jpg

product description
The ultimate solution to tired skin, the best-selling CHANEL foundation instantly revitalizes the complexion upon application — and throughout the day. The formula has been updated with ingredients to specifically target dry, dull and uneven skin, and moisturizing agents to provide hydration and comfort. A marine extract boosts cell energy to enhance radiance, and light-reflecting pigments smooth away imperfections, creating a soft-focus effect. Creamy and luxuriously lightweight, this essential daily foundation blends effortlessly for perfectly smooth, even-toned, radiant skin.

it doesn't give as good coverage as the: PRO LUMIÈRE PROFESSIONAL FINISH MAKEUP SPF 15 ($54.00)
which is actually amazing to work with, blends like a dream,
but for day to day stuff i like something very light on my
skin. and the vitalumiere is good. i do have this pro lumiere
which i use if i'm going to get photographed or if i'm doing
a big night out on the town. it's my 'special' occasion makeup
where

P162800_LARGE.jpg

product description
Breakthrough oil-free formula provides medium-to-full coverage, with a flawless, professional, semi-matte finish. Can be blended for a soft, natural look or built up for greater sophistication.

foundation powders i still go with
mac's pro preffered white spf15 matte
foundation powder (which i can't seem to
find online and wonder if it's a regional thing,
or they stopped making it)

i'll take a picture of it: it's here with benefit's
"some kind of gorgeous" which is a foundation
faker---which i used to really love, but i love
my chanel more now.

318443_1899472856580_1534430057_31485017_1952094498_n.jpg

oh and my favouriteeeee brush of all time! stila #21 ($45)
i really love stila's brushes, they feel great,
and so easy to take care, i've had this one
for over 5 years already.

it's awesome as a stippling brush for powder foundation
and cream based foundations (not liquid) because it's so
dense! the flat top makes putting blush on easy, and
the edges makes it so easy to contour and highlight.
i really love multitasking products.

P12776_hero.jpg

i also have the mac 187 brush ($42), which is specifically
for face stippling. heehee that sounds funny. which
i also like, especially if i'm working with liquid products
the hairs don't clump up. but i just leave it at home.

M45R01.jpg

---i think when it comes to foundation, what criteria
is important for you, is it how it feels on your skin?
how long you can wear? what kind of coverage you need?
what kind of budget?

i need something that feels next to nothing, because
my face is always sweaty, and especially around my
nose, i have like dog sweat nose. so i need something
that won't clog me up but also has staying power
(i don't really fix my makeup during the day except
add lipbalm). i really hate stuff that makes me feel
that i'm wearing foundation.

for drugstore brands, i like the the revlon colorstays,
but it's in an entirely different league from the chanel.
they way it feels on my skin, the breathability for my
skin. my skins definitely feels more stressed if i'm wearing
thicker formulations which most drugstore brands are like,
and it's not something i want to do to my skin. like i'll
buy revlon colorstays if i'm on vacation and don't want
to lug around my makeup mag, i'll just pop in and buy one
/ emergency backup. they have a mineral formulation too,
but i'm not a huge fan of mineral foundation. it goes bad
faster and sometimes i prefer a more matte finish.

revlon-colorstay-makeup-with-sof_1184867422_LRG.jpg
revloncolorstay.jpg

but ever since i started using the chanel i always bring
it with me now. plus it has spf. lazy hot days, i just slap
it on as my all in one.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I tend to stay from eye-shadows. Maybe it's because I don't know how to put them on properly, even when I take the time to try....
I also think " Where would I wear that"
So, answer my question ladies, which sort of occasion would call for yellow eye-shadow? And how would one "wear" it?

tools: my favourite tool for eyes is stila's #20
i love the doe foot (slightly angled brush) it gets
into the creases and just makes application easy,
especially if you're playing with colours. the angle
bit is the best tool i've used hands down to create
the perfect V (sideways v like: ">" from outer corner
of your eye to crease... this helps add depth your
eyes). and makes blending a cinch.

s06801_product_lg.png

yellow eyeshadow doesn't have so be applied to it's heavily pigmented.
you can use it as a base all over your lid as a colour corrector

P1283_hero.jpg

for example, benefit makes a yellow cream and markets it as an eye primer.
personally i don't think it's that great as an eye primer compared
to urban primer potion (but i never think cream primers are that great)
but i do use it on it's own and it just instantly brightens up my eyes.

for eyeshadows: you can use it subtly: i love yellow and purple
mac-style-warrior-gold-rebel-fotd.jpg

you can pack it on:
tumblr_kto4os5u9s1qzdiqvo1_500.jpg

for bold colours, you don't have to apply it all over the lid. i dab it
on right in the middle of my eyelid for that pop. and yellow is fantastic,
makes the whites of your eyes brighter (so do deep blues). and i dab
it on like an indian dot (is that offensive? i can't tell and i don't mean it
to be) but instead of the forehead i dab it right on the lids from the
lash line up to the crease. and blend it out on the sides on top of
more neutral colours.

currently i'm crazy about this mac palette (chromezone 2)
and the 'unreally blue' colour (top right) is so so fantastic
to add a pop of colour. i dab in the middle and use it to
line my lower lash line.

s320x240

MAC Blushcreme is my favorite because it blends out so sheer and never looks cakey. Maybelline Dream Mousse is also really nice.

I love MAC Malt, Quarry, Copperplate, and Vapour for a day look, with MAC Syrup lipstick.

Citre Shine Frizz Anti-Frizz serum as well.

i love mac malt! this is what i keep at work.
i really like playing with makeup when i'm bored.

307865_1899485976908_1534430057_31485023_1611621708_n.jpg

front row: mac: malt (matte), camel (velvet), humid (frost), black tied (velvet), beauty marked (velvet); smashbox fusion soft lights in dusk

backrow: bobbi brown nude on nude palette + sephora choco excess n.19

301432_1899486456920_1534430057_31485024_342535420_n.jpg

malt (matte), camel (velvet), humid (frost)

316942_1899487176938_1534430057_31485025_496513949_n.jpg

black tied (velvet), beauty marked (velvet), smashbox fusion soft lights in dusk, sephora choco excess n.19

nobody does black like mac. [MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION], these were the two
colours i was talking about re: mac's carbon

i actually hate doing swatches on myself because i have
really dry skin, and my moisturizer has a sheen to it, so
i have to wash my arm then put it on the bare dry skin.
but just to compare colours:

6122883381_0c4c4d204f.jpg

top to bottom: beauty marked , beauty marked applied on top of black tied, black tied

see how beauty mark it's a different colour from the pan?
in the pan it's this beautiful rich deep burgundy colour,
but the red actually comes from the shiny. beautiful
colours nonetheless. great as liners, and love using
beauty marked on top of the black tied.

there are just one finger swipes, so the pigmentation
is great. you can really pack on the colour.

309251_1899488296966_1534430057_31485026_1297472020_n.jpg

bobbi brown nude on nude palette: nude, cement, wheat, espresso, malted

[MENTION=5723]Tiltyred[/MENTION] the bobbi brown used to be my favourite palette but
now i am in love with the urban decay NAKED palette ($48)which i
leave at home

urban-decay-naked-palette-4%5B2%5D.jpg

Urban-Decay-Naked-Palette-Swatch_7.jpg

Urban-Decay-fall-2010-eyeshadow-Naked-Palette.jpg

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I absolutely adore the Urban Decay Naked palette, works perfectly for fair skin and all the pretty brown and coppers make blue eyes really pop.

My favourite red lipstick (im still new to lip colour, having large full lips always made me feel a little clownish wearing anything other than nudes or shimmers) is Benefit's full finish lipstick in 'espionage'. It's a black-cherry/plummy colour and works amazingly on pale skin.

Screenshot2011-09-07at71905PM.png

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Keke, thanks [MENTION=10808]Jenaphor[/MENTION] and [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] I need to get some new foundation/powder soon so I'll check out your recommendations.

I just remembered - out of all the random make-up buying that I have done, this purchase probably tops my list as a good buy.

The whole line was created by a former soap opera star (I think) and she pays a lot of attention to consistency and color. This palette was meant to be flattering to a wide range of skin shades. It really is a go-to kit for everyday wear and makes you look put together in a sophisticated way.

http://www.catcosmetics.com/item.php?SKU=0108-001

0108-001.jpg

Ingrid in grids

dark+lips,+lined+eyes.jpg

I want to find a lipstick that's about this colour... I've been told it would go nicely with my colouring, which is very similar to the girl in this pic. Any suggestions, ladies? :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1173786.JPG

I'd try out Mac's 'Spice it up'. It's a red-brown lipstick, but it's a lustre lipstick, not a matte one (check the matte section to get the same finish as in the picture). I tend to wear red lipliner under it (Brick), making it more red, but if you were to put a plum one under it, I'd say you get this colour. On its own, it's a soft brown-red.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are you kidding me. Fuck that shit, man...if I don't look like the Phantom of the Opera unmasked, I'm satisfied.

Some people like to peacock it up :)
It can be really fun. Some people go overboard though. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks bad.

[MENTION=10808]Jenaphor[/MENTION] [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] [MENTION=7197]Antimony[/MENTION] (you Azn, girl?) [MENTION=10137]Sparrow[/MENTION] if she's posted in this thread - any rec's for foundations for Asian skin?

Azn? Like, Asian?

Purple liner is lovely. As is eye shadow. And YES, it is great on brown eyes. I have brown eyes. They make my eyes go WABAM, oftentimes.

dark+lips,+lined+eyes.jpg

I want to find a lipstick that's about this colour... I've been told it would go nicely with my colouring, which is very similar to the girl in this pic. Any suggestions, ladies? :)

Revlon is inexpensive and does the job. I don't know how much money you have to shell out on a lipstick. But if your skin is similar to hers, many rich reds would work beautifully.

As a note, I have brown hair, brown eyes (that are goldish/orange/sometimes greenish, so not always pure brown), and a yellow skintone.

Oh, and [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] I find that using a liquid foundation works just as well as a concealer. I think if someone has really bad acne/chronic redness, it isn't worth the effort, but for a slight touch up it works.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I want to go to mmhmm's house for a makeover!

I've wanted to try Chanel foundation for a long time. I have really pale skin (dark hair, blue-green eyes), but I find it really hard to find a shade that blends in properly. I've tried Diorskin and HDMakeup Forever in department store brands and pretty much all drugstore brands. The closest I've found is Covergirl, which is either a shade that is slightly too pale and ghosty or slightly too dark and doesn't blend in properly.

I have some sun damage discolouration on my upper lip that gets worse during the summer that is hard to cover. I wear high SPF La Roche Posay (I've been happy with that stuff and think the money is worth it if you get it on sale, because I don't live in a hot climate, so I am not reapplying a bunch of times a day). Do you guys have any recommendations for concealer? The closest I've found is the palest cover girl stuff in a stick which is not a shade, but is supposed to neutralize. I've heard that something purplish-blue should help, but haven't found anything that's the ticket yet.

Also, I'm beginning to get some gray hairs - not enough that they stand out a lot, but enough that it would be a bad idea to just pluck them (yeah, I know, I know!). I haven't decided what to do about it yet. I don't like the idea of the chemicals in a lot of hair dye, my sister does the henna thing, but I'm not so sure about it (she looks great with reddish hair, even though she started out with brown). I don't think I want a permanent hair dye until I figure out what kind of colour works best for me and get used to applying it. I'd prefer something that just fades out for now, but there is very little to choose from anymore that is semi-permanent. I talked to the hair dresser - her suggestion was highlights, but I don't really love that look and it still doesn't deal with the grays scattered throughout my hair. I'd like whatever I have to look natural. Any ideas?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] - 'fancy rinse'? A temporary color that washes out in a few. If your hair is dark, there is little chance of the color sticking around longer. However, you can't lighten your hair with temporary rinse so it limits your options. If you only want to cover the gray, there are also sprays and powders which will mask the greys.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sprays and powders do NOT appeal to me! I want something that feels like my normal hair and will not get on stuff. Fancy rinse? Is that the name brand or the category?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of feel like I'm about to holler down a well, because I don't think you will be convinced, but I earnestly beg you to consider letting your hair do its thing. With fair skin and blue/green eyes, silvery hair will be gorgeous. You might really love it.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol - my mum has that. She let it go grey naturally and then kind of rethought it later as it became more universally popular for women to dye their hair. She is teaching and figured that people think she looks much older than other people her age because of it. She asked her hairdresser about lowlights (realizing that it would look funny to suddenly have brown hair again) and her hairdresser refused because she thought my mum's hair was already a really nice colour and it would mess it up!

Mostly it's that my hair is long and curly. I'd like it long for awhile yet, but grey hair texture can make that combo look a little...witchy. I don't foresee dying my hair forever, but I'd kind of like to have brown hair for another 10 years or so anyway. I've never dyed my hair before and generally don't like it that it doesn't look natural when people do, even if they've done a nice job of it. It's also expensive to maintain, so I don't foresee going with anything very far off of what my hair usually is.

However Tilty, I will give your suggestion some thought...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a real pain the butt to dye your hair when its long, and once you've done it, it is very hard to undo, so you either have to cut it all off or keep dying it. There are products to help with the texture issue, but again, you might find that you don't have texture issues. My hair is medium length and curly as you can see from my picture and I'm letting it get very long. So far, I get a lot of compliments.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I LOVE silvery grey hair. Some of the most beautiful hair I have seen is silvery going on white.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Sprays and powders do NOT appeal to me! I want something that feels like my normal hair and will not get on stuff. Fancy rinse? Is that the name brand or the category?

It's what they call it at the beauty school - 'fanciful rinse' it costs $3 and might even include a blowdry and hairstyling. If it's that cheap around where I live (which is a metro area with high cost of living) I'm sure you can find it for just as cheap if not cheaper where you area.

You can also try to do a combo of indigo/henna on your hair. It is a more involved process but strengthens your hair and there is no lightening/stripping of your hair.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What happens to Fanciful if it gets wet? For some reason, I have the thought that the color runs. Is that true?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=10808]Jenaphor[/MENTION] [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] [MENTION=7197]Antimony[/MENTION] (you Azn, girl?) [MENTION=10137]Sparrow[/MENTION] if she's posted in this thread - any rec's for foundations for Asian skin?

Hey love <3. When I do wear foundation I wear Clinique - Superfit makeup - the color is called "Honey", its oil free and long lasting :).

I usually use Lancome Dual Finish Powder too (you can use it dry or wet) - color "Matte Amande III".

I adore black liquid eye liner too <3.

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=1009]CzeCze[/MENTION]: purple, gold, olive green look really good on Asian brown eyes!