• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use noxema to clean my skin. (My skin is pale and sensitive, but not prone to oil or a lot of dryness or pimples.) It cleans and refreshes and makes a nice complexion. I normally wouldn't recommend a shampoo because I just found one that I liked but I'm finding the Bamboo products to be helping my hair heal from all the years of blonde. My hair is looking more healthy and natural. Multivitamin, water. Minimal makeup. Be 26 years old. And I come out alright some days. :laugh:

Oh and last winter I went tanning and had to get rid of my very first brown spot. I caught it right away, (and am not tanning anymore, it just takes one visible sign of aging!) Anyway, I used this Garnier Fructis cream that was supposed to remove spots, (from the grocery store.) And it worked fine. Given that it was probably just a glorified freckle on my young skin to begin with- but it's a product to think about at least.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I LOVE noxema. I was just thinking to myself that I need to buy some more. Seriously. That stuff is godlike. I like to splash ice cold water on my face in the winter, lather on the noxema, and rinse with more ice cold water. It makes me feel like one with my ice cube nature.

They have some decent priced giftsets around Christmas!

:holy:

I definitely need to keep that in mind! I am going to browse the website now. Yay distractions.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm noticing an interesting trend of NT women up in here.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I don't use eyeshadow primer, I never even knew anything about it. I do have a primer for my foundation, which I sometimes do use.

I do try to use a light base, especially under my brow on the bone to lighten things up, then darker on the lid and darkest on the upper corners and "winged out" to the sides of my head and up.

you can actually use your face primer and dab it on your eyelids.

eye primers are used as a base for eyeshadow because it's
suppose to extend the wear and help curb the eye shadow
from creasing: that's when the colours move off your lids
and get bunched up into the crease due to the oils on your lids.

creasing+shadow.jpg

oily lids and creased eyeshadow.

the urban decay primers are popular because it does
just that, your eyeshadow doesn't move. when you
apply it, it's very easy to spread on your lids and it
just disappears onto your lids and feels 'light'

([MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] how do you like the urban
decay primer potion on your lids? do you find it
easy to apply? did you use any other
kinds of primers before?)

in the beauty blogs, a lot of people talk about the
elf eye primer to be just as good for staying power.
the main difference is that, it's a bit thicker to spread
on your eyelids, and just doesn't feel as light as the
UD. i've personally never used it, but i know it's popular
because it's only $3 (versus the $17? $18? UD primer)
and said to be as effective

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/eye_primer_and_liner_sealer
81701_eye-primer-liner-sealer_bottle_prodpage.jpg

3 dolla!

I typically use an eyeshadow brush (sephora) + my fingertips to blend.

i use fingertips to dab on the colour, but a brush to blend.
when i blend, i will blend where the different colours meet
so that it's not a harsh line but instead bleeds into one another.

i also always dust my base colour on my brush when i'm softening
the colours on the crease line. for this i use a stila #9. the brush
type is called an 'all over blend brush' elf has one called 'Blending Eye Brush'
http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~45.htm

s01n01_product_lg.png
vs
1803_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

stila vs elf

for blending on the lid itself i use a smaller brush.
i actually really love the dual ended brush that came
with my bobbi brown nude on nude palette

AAAAAiMLp9gAAAAAAQSyUw.jpg

the left brush is the eyeshadow brush.
the right brush is the eyeliner brush.

so you can see, the brush head is very small.
i took these with my iphone so it's not as clear
as i like them to me, but it'll do for size comparison.

6102770197_6f7c4f4c6f_z.jpg

bobbi brown dual ended eyeshadow/eyeliner brush vs stila #9.

6103317508_895fdd655f_z.jpg

bobbi brown eyeshadow brush vs stila #9

6103318498_ce1b522295_z.jpg

bobbi brown eyeliner brush vs stila #9

E1J4_l.jpg
E1J5_l.jpg

the bobbi brown dual brush heads are the same size as the
standalone bobbi brown brushes. the brushes alone are
eyeliner brush ($25) eyeshadow brush ($28). bobbi brown
single eyeshadow pans are $20 each. so this is why i really
don't mind splurging on higher end palettes because it really
is more cost efficient and higher quality..

i don't think they have the nude on nude palette anymore, but
just to illustrate: the smoky eye palette is $45: brush + 4 colours
E6JX_l.jpg

shadow options palette is $60: brush +8 colours
E7A4_l.jpg

i can go off on tangents forever <3 <3

I think I need to go lighter on the brow color. My hair is darker and my brows ARE brown and a mix of darker and lighter hairs, but they're kind of sparse and just don't shape easily. They seem to be flatter, and/or have more of a point rather than curve in the middle. (Yes, I'm a pumpkin. :( ) Even plucking to shape, I have trouble getting a good arc in them. Sometimes I just want to shave them off and then paste on fake ones, lol...

i don't like waxing my eyebrows at all.
if i need them professionally shaped,
i'll get them threaded. i think they do
a more thorough job. and honestly?
i get my brows done professionally
like only once a year.

eyebrow-threading.jpg

but getting shaped is all based on personal
preference. it's the upkeep. that's the pain
in the ass. i'm severely lazy. so i like minimal
effort in grooming my eyebrows. i use an
eyebrow razor. (ulta sells them)

EYEBROW_RAZOR_FOR_EYELINER.jpg

i tried googling for a close up on the razor
blade but my search terms skills must suck.
because i can't find one. but if you look closely,
the razor is smooth and flat. it has little teeth.
which acts as little 'stoppers' so you can have
a very precise uh.. shave? you can literally do
one hair at a time. and it's easy, you just run
the blade over anything that pokes out.

these razors last on me for a long time. i'm
really lazy so sometimes i'll be like oh! see
a stray hair after i already have my make up
on and i'll just shave right onto the make up.
the makeup does gather on the blades and
i just wipe it off with a tissue (sometimes
not, lazy mmhmm). and they last me for
3 months before i throw them out?

i imagine if you used it on a clean face, it'd
last longer.

I agree about the light powder--I use an Anastasia eyebrow kit in blonde, even though my eyebrows are naturally darker than my hair. I also have the Maybelline Define-a-Brow pencil in Light Brown. It's supposed to be similar to a MAC product that everyone loves, but I can't remember the name of it.

mac 'eye brows' ?
M1EF.jpg

i really like their 'brow set' since
my eyebrows grow upwards and
downwards so they're pointing in
different directions. i use this
to make them behave. you can
use the maybelline clear great
lash mascara to make them
behave also, but it just takes
longer to dry. (use the clear
mascara first on brows, let
dry, then apply brow makeup)
if you do it after, it may shift
the colours.

M39E03.jpg
200.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm noticing an interesting trend of NT women up in here.

Makeup is actually almost more of a science -- how to use specific products and tools to create a desired effect, which includes not just a practical element but an aesthetic one, and also project a particular image of self. As you are seeing, it is more complex than just, "OOOOOO GOOOOD I JUST LOVE MAKING MY FACE SO PRETTTTY!" :)

That type of complexity actually grabs my interest more, I want to understand how it all works together. it's just building practical competence (as well as figuring out what works best with my face) that is the difficult aspect.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Makeup is actually almost more of a science -- how to use specific products and tools to create a desired effect, which includes not just a practical element but an aesthetic one, and also project a particular image of self. As you are seeing, it is more complex than just, "OOOOOO GOOOOD I JUST LOVE MAKING MY FACE SO PRETTTTY!" :)

That type of complexity actually grabs my interest more, I want to understand how it all works together. it's just building practical competence (as well as figuring out what works best with my face) that is the difficult aspect.

You're not getting out this, Sensor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There you go judging again- you judger!

That's exactly what I'd expect an incontrovertible introvert to say!!!

I'm going to go practice my makeup. *hmph*

[MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION]: Thanks for all the info, I have obviously found a topic that you know and care a lot about! :) It's just going to take me some time to absorb it ...and also make an Ulta run.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
([MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] how do you like the urban
decay primer potion on your lids? do you find it
easy to apply? did you use any other
kinds of primers before?)

I've used smashbox photofinish eye primer, a few drugstore brands which escape me now (hard candy maybe), and mac prep + prime; I've also used mac paint (which is not a primer, but works decently as one). I have never tried elf, but if it's cheap I probably will when my UD runs out :D.

I liked Urban Decay's the best mainly because it lasted the longest. Since I have veeery oily skin, many primers do nothing for me.

I also really liked the wand application, but the packaging has changed now (which helps to not waste product, which is a plus). The others were tubes or jars & required a finger, which Urban Decay does now also. The elf I've seen has a wand, which I think is a plus, however, it does usually waste product at the end if the tube is not squeezable.

elf%20mineral-eyeshadow-primer.jpg

Other points for UD: it spreads easily at first and then dries fast & doesn't budge. I found others too lotion-y & greasy, too watery or goopy, taking too much time to dry before being able to apply shadow, or drying too fast before you can spread it around, etc.

The downside - if you're not good at blending shadow, I find this makes it harder, but that's true of any primer that works. It's made to keep shadow from smudging, after all. If you think applying the shadow before it dries will solve the issue, the problem then is that sometimes it just wipes the primer off. However, it is workable. Another possible downside or plus, depending on how you see it, is that it is VERY dry. I do not use this everyday, because I think it could be drying to the eye area over time. I only use it when I go out or do something a bit special. The reason that's a plus is this is no doubt why it lasts so long. Your makeup won't budge because it's dried in place, basically.

Good points are that you need less eyeshadow product, as the colors show up more vividly & don't soak into the skin as much. It's also "neat" to work with, preventing shadow from dusting below your eye or other undesirable areas when applying. I also really like that they have different colors now, because the shimmery colors work well on their own as a shadow if you just want a sheer, natural color & some eyeliner.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Urban Decay's the best

Me too. I've also tried Too Faced's shadow primer, which is supposedly UD Primer Potion's main competitor. I didn't like it as much. It's not as sticky as UD's.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Love Urban Decay's Primer Potion, though I bought the huge tube and it dried out before I finished it. I got a sample of Benefit's Stay Don't Stray, and I like that quite a bit, too. It's a bit thinner in consistency than the UD, and spreads nicely. I also have a palette by Lauren Luke that comes with a couple of primers, and I use and like those, too.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
I get cysts also (in fact, that's almost all I get. I'll be 99% clear with one massive, painful cyst). Do you use the AHA face wash in this line?
YUP. I looked in the ingredients and there was glycolic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, and salicylic acid. My brother has the kit: cleanser, shaving cream, moisturizer, and something else. Also used to have the 35% glycolic acid peel.

My favorite daytime moisturizer is Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion w/SPF. It's the highest concentration of glycolic acid in a product I can find in the drugstore.

Guess what I just got yesterday! :happy2: Thanks. It's just annoying to go out of my way to look up the glycolic acid content because it doesn't say on the packaging... I mean, you would think that it's listed in the "active ingredients" section, but I don't know if it's a snag on the FDA's part or if it was meant to be that way or what.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Has anyone ever tried Sugarpill? I like the color intensity and am tempted to get some... http://www.sugarpillshop.com/

i've heard of them through the beauty blogs!
their famous colour is the yellow buttercupcake
gallery-buttercupcake_2_large.jpg

i've actually been wanting to try it out!
it's appealing because how highly pigmented
it is, and would seem to be easier to use
than the traditional loose pigments... which
gets everywhereeeeee.

plus they're matte, and it's so hard to find
great matte shadows with good pigmentation.

vintage or tacky uses it quite a lot
in her fantasy tutorials... that's
the buttercupcake yellow on the eye.
eye-open-2.jpg

left-eye-down.jpg

i really like the palettes! want want want.
palette-burning_large.jpg

Burning Heart - Colors: Flamepoint, Buttercupcake, Love+, Poison Plum

i really want the poison plum.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I tend to stay from eye-shadows. Maybe it's because I don't know how to put them on properly, even when I take the time to try....

I also think " Where would I wear that"

So, answer my question ladies, which sort of occasion would call for yellow eye-shadow? And how would one "wear" it?