• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I swear by Nutrogena facial cleansing products now, because I have sensitive combination skin and still break out. I use the old-fashioned Nutrogena clear glycerine acne-bar when I'm low on cash, but I swear by the Nutrogena redness relieving wash in the green bottle...it is actually THE BEST stuff to wash my face in, because I'm prone to redness on my cheeks from skin sensitivity or rosacea or something.
I'll have to give that one a try! I haven't tried that many facial cleansers but Neutrogena has definitely been the best I've tried. My usual is the orange bottle oil free acne wash stuff since it doesn't dry out my face like most acne products/cleansers do, and it also seems to work for acne since I always start to break out when I run out of it.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I use Mac stuff pretty exclusive for foundation/skin and blush, but the price usually means I look for cheaper alternatives for other types of makeup.

my favourite drugstore brands are elf (like their brushes a lot too) and nyx (eyeshadows + brushes are great)
elf.jpg
Missy135743.jpg

the maybelline dream mousse blushes are a great alternative to stila's rouge pots
i can't say enough good things about the dream mousse, it goes on so well.

Dream%20MousseT%20Blush.jpg
StilaRougePot.jpg

and i loveeee coastal scent 88 palettes... you can get them online
for like $18--88 colours! and you can even do your own custom palettes

i'd recommend investing in a good eye primer to make shadows (any
brand) stick and last through out the day. like [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] mentioned,
the urban decay primer potion is really good.

coastal+scents+pallet.jpg
99920d75b948fd4046245915122dd589_71578757851294598007.jpg

i really like revlon colorstay foundations too.
they have a quite nice range, from mineral to active and regular.
revloncolorstay.jpg

i also really like sephora season kits, they're nicely priced and comes with
a bunch of different mini sized products that'll last for a few months, and
so you can try out a different array of brands and see what works best
with you. plus there's all these great tutorials on youtube showing how to
use each of the products in the kits, so it's a nice way to explore and expand.

the latest one i got is the limited edition summer collection. $39 only!
sephora-favorites-set-for-summer.jpg

I'm still playing around with other areas, but I like Urban Decay for my eyeliner. However, it's a smudgy style (not a precise line).

yes! urban decay 24/7 pencils last longer on my
waterline aside from gel liners.

Urban+Decay+Super+Stash.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, thank you for the advice. Yes, I like how Urban Decay 24/7 lingers... the price is a little high (I think in the $18-20 range for a full-length eye pencil) but it typically lasts throughout the day despite being a smudge-style.

I have trouble with my eye shadow for whatever reason. It just never seems to blend the way it should. not sure what to do about it. I do have an Elf palette, an Ulta pallete, and a few other mix-and-matches of single colors (like browns), but I'm typically not satisfied. I don't know why it is not laying down smoothly and haven't been able to resolve it.

Also... not fond of my brow liners. I used a pencil for a while. Then I've been using powder + brown liner brush. I think the powder's too dark, for one. My brows don't seem to shape easily. :( Any ideas on that?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Wow, thank you for the advice. Yes, I like how Urban Decay 24/7 lingers... the price is a little high (I think in the $18-20 range for a full-length eye pencil) but it typically lasts throughout the day despite being a smudge-style.

try nyx eyeliners! they're a bit creamier, and glides on
'slipperier' (does that make sense?) but it lasts quite well,
but i think they're harder to take off than the urban decays,
i'm very impatient, so i notice i tug on my eye more when
i'm taking it off

the jumbo pencils are really great to do easy lazy makeup,
pale eye shadow, and just nice thick eyeliner for a pop of
colour and all set.

NyxSPE901.jpg
51giEcC%252B4lL.jpeg

I have trouble with my eye shadow for whatever reason. It just never seems to blend the way it should. not sure what to do about it. I do have an Elf palette, an Ulta pallete, and a few other mix-and-matches of single colors (like browns), but I'm typically not satisfied. I don't know why it is not laying down smoothly and haven't been able to resolve it.

have you tried a primer (like the urban decay primer potion)? a
cheaper alternative to a primer is actually nyx's jumbo pencils,
just apply it all over your lids up to the crease. use sparingly,
it's quite pigmented!

what kind of applicators are you using to put on the shadows.
pat the shadows on. build the colours. and always dust your
blending brush with a pale nude colour (or the colour you used
as the all over base) so it softens the darker colours and not
get it muddy.

img-thing

jumbo pencil in milk. use a light colour.

Also... not fond of my brow liners. I used a pencil for a while. Then I've been using powder + brown liner brush. I think the powder's too dark, for one. My brows don't seem to shape easily. :( Any ideas on that?

the biggest problems with brows i think is finding the right colour,
i have black eyebrows and they're very sparse. i used to use brown
shadows to match my brows .. i mean it makes sense, but i always
end up like frida kahlo.

homepage_image.jpg

then i tried going liiiiiiight. and it worked out perfectly.
i have the 'nude on nude' palette from bobbi brown and i use
'cement' (second from the left in palette and the swatch). and
when i apply it, it just fills it in perfectly. and i just use an
el cheapo bodyshop brow brush (i like the stiff bristles). i
rarely define it with a pencil, because it looks too harsh on me.
i like a more natural softer brow.

AAAAAiMLp9gAAAAAAQSyUw.jpg
bobbi-brown-barneys-new-york-makeup-longwear-cream-shadow-cement.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Still reading your comments and absorbing them (plus I'm at work, so can't look at the pics here).... but for short answers:

I don't use eyeshadow primer, I never even knew anything about it. I do have a primer for my foundation, which I sometimes do use.

I do try to use a light base, especially under my brow on the bone to lighten things up, then darker on the lid and darkest on the upper corners and "winged out" to the sides of my head and up.

I typically use an eyeshadow brush (sephora) + my fingertips to blend.

I think I need to go lighter on the brow color. My hair is darker and my brows ARE brown and a mix of darker and lighter hairs, but they're kind of sparse and just don't shape easily. They seem to be flatter, and/or have more of a point rather than curve in the middle. (Yes, I'm a pumpkin. :( ) Even plucking to shape, I have trouble getting a good arc in them. Sometimes I just want to shave them off and then paste on fake ones, lol...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Jen,

Work with your natural arch. Some people don't have the high, sharp, Cruella arch, and that's okay. You may want to let them grow in a little bit and then have them threaded--the ladies at the eyebrow threading places seem to be really good at finding your natural arch/shape. Then you can just keep the stray hairs plucked until next time.

I agree about the light powder--I use an Anastasia eyebrow kit in blonde, even though my eyebrows are naturally darker than my hair. I also have the Maybelline Define-a-Brow pencil in Light Brown. It's supposed to be similar to a MAC product that everyone loves, but I can't remember the name of it.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
5042838353.jpg
zirh-clean-face-wash-bottle222453.jpg
index.jpg

• CVS facial sponges - Hygienic, simple, effective.
  • ZIRH CLEAN face wash - I borrowed it from my brother and it. exfoliates. EVERYTHING. I've had cystic acne since I was 11 and it's saying a lot that I think this stuff is the shizznit.
  • Milani Infinite Eyeliner - By far the best liquid eyeliner I ever tried. Truly waterproof. Stays put all day, no smudging or flaking or anything.

wildflowersbeauty_1.jpg
BLUE.jpg

• Everyday Minerals eyeshadow in Wild Flowers - Perfect contouring powder
  • Coastal Scents Ultramarine Blue BC - Just looking at the color makes me vomit rainbows

My favorite gurus are Promise Phan, Petrilude, and Kandee Johnson, for sure.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For my eyebrows, I love filling them in with a light powder. You almost always want to fill them in with a color lighter than what they actually are. Unless you are going really dramatic. I use a medium brown for my eyebrows, sometimes a light brown.

I used to like my eyebrows on the more thin side, but no longer! Thicker eyebrows are more in fashion. I think they work as an accessory to your face, almost. I also like the slanty look.

Emma8.jpg

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], what sort of eyebrow shape are you going for?

I really want to experiment with more dramatic makeup. I liked the idea of applying makeup wet for a dramatic look. I've heard of the technique, but haven't yet applied it.

fejsxh.gif

I did the 'V' monologue, from V for Vendetta, and did my makeup much like that. I can't wait for Autumn to roll around. To wear nice pea coats, scarves, and maybe makeup like that. Maybe. It is a fun idea to flirt with. Just not eyebrows like that.

r1zep3.jpg

This, I've been wanting forever. Not really sure why. Maybe because I love things Asian. I think the red is beautiful. Speaking of which...

1zlr8uu.jpg

If you see me in red lipstick, the chances are I am wearing the lovely matte red lipstick from Revlon. I believe that it is In the Red, but I am not certain. Not sure where it is hiding right now. I also have Fire and Ice, partly because I love bright red lipstick, and partly because I love Robert Frost's poem Fire and Ice. I can also appreciate coral/slightly orange lipsticks.

For body products, I've been using Bath and Body Works products for ages. I really, really love the Black Current Vanilla scent. I have some massage oil that I like to use in my baths.

Aromatherapy = amazing.

2wdo7k5.jpg

e1b3n6.jpg

And I lovee this smell. Actually, I think it is mostly tranquil mint that I use. I also enjoy The Body Shop products. I like a nice body butter. I use, currently, the coconut scent as often as I can...which come to think of it, it has been awhile. Anyway, I find it is especially great for places like your legs, which don't typically break out. They make my skin a little shiny. I like to smooth some on, especially if I haven't had time to shave adequately.

I always get told how soft my legs are, so something is working. That is all for now. I will continue to watch this thread. I really, really wish I could afford some of the stuff from Sephora. Well, I can afford some, but not much.

2hdnqzn.jpg
wqoqhz.jpg

These products: easy price, good results (for me).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
also after trying many many lipbalms for my dry lips, this is my all-time favourite:

I like it because it's not waxy or greasy like most lipbalms (including the classic blistex), makes my lips feel perfect, has sunscreen, and can be shiny or natural depending how much you put on. And it's cheap, especially on sale (picked up two today since they were on for half price - 3$!).

dct.jpg

Odd question: can you use (high-quality obviously) paint brushes as makeup brushes? I have tons of paint brushes and no makeup brushes, plus paint brushes are way cheaper and look the same.

gromit

likes this
cEMXNs2wlsGZ4W3eS36csVWMCSglwDviLeKJdpTzAZLVKjMjxJehK-jXJSiquVrBE5UQXwflvbfUslwPPCZMTxpABZfsRI4S-7Ju-ekB0RR59za1AkYqiPFR83Xeqv2hSJZFCXJyp--ErbU5q5y-yTBAOl0096J7Up-KWpKc8l3d

I love the way this smells, and it works nicely too, but it doesn't have that minty feeling like burt's bees.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ZIRH CLEAN face wash - I borrowed it from my brother and it. exfoliates. EVERYTHING. I've had cystic acne since I was 11 and it's saying a lot that I think this stuff is the shizznit.

I get cysts also (in fact, that's almost all I get. I'll be 99% clear with one massive, painful cyst). Do you use the AHA face wash in this line?

AHA (specifically glycolic acid) is awesome for acne, and exfoliating and wrinkles and ingrown hairs (if you're a dude). It's seriously not in enough products marketed for acne.

For that reason, my favorite daytime moisturizer is Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion w/SPF. It's the highest concentration of glycolic acid in a product I can find in the drugstore; I only wish it did not have fragrance in it. My favorite online one is the AHA Lotion that they sell at acne.org. It's has no irritating ingredients & the price is right.

wpid-41g4ya8vocl.jpg

G

Glycerine

LOOK 1
MM793448-2-164744_L.jpg
Carbon MAC
mac-hoey%20lust.jpg
Honeylust- MAC
very_sexy_lipstick.jpg
showstopper- Victoria's Secret
physicians-formula-target-face-blush-powder-palette-multicolored-blush-blushing-rose-2466.jpg
Blushing Rose by Physician's Formula

LOOK 2: cool white/purple/blue eyeshadow combo and

BeautyRushLipGloss-full.jpg
or
622802134.jpg

+ blush

I try to avoid foundation because I breakout easily.

CLEANSERS

41myWUUPWTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A

A window to the soul

Still reading your comments and absorbing them (plus I'm at work, so can't look at the pics here).... but for short answers:

I don't use eyeshadow primer, I never even knew anything about it. I do have a primer for my foundation, which I sometimes do use.

I do try to use a light base, especially under my brow on the bone to lighten things up, then darker on the lid and darkest on the upper corners and "winged out" to the sides of my head and up.

I typically use an eyeshadow brush (sephora) + my fingertips to blend.

I think I need to go lighter on the brow color. My hair is darker and my brows ARE brown and a mix of darker and lighter hairs, but they're kind of sparse and just don't shape easily. They seem to be flatter, and/or have more of a point rather than curve in the middle. (Yes, I'm a pumpkin. :( ) Even plucking to shape, I have trouble getting a good arc in them. Sometimes I just want to shave them off and then paste on fake ones, lol...

Have you had your eyebrows professionally dyed and shaped before? Waxing is more precise versus the string method. If you're a perfectionist, I would recommend doing that in addition to lightly penciling, if they're sparse. Do not draw a hard line! That's so tacky. If you have wild hairs, just brush over your eyebrows with a little bit of clear mascara to keep them in place, as a final step. That also helps blend and lock in the pencil for a natural look. When you're done, you should not see a hard pencil line or you did it wrong.

The shadow primer is unnecessary. What do you put on your eyelids before you apply eyeshadow? You said you apply foundation, so do you apply powder after that?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They have some decent priced giftsets around Christmas!

Yes. Including the brush sets. Not as good quality as the individuals, but I learned to use those, and then re-bought the ones I used the most. The Christmas brush sets are reasonably-priced.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you had your eyebrows professionally dyed and shaped before? Waxing is more precise versus the string method.

I did do a few waxing sessions at two different Asian boutiques, but the outcome was wildly inconsistent. The place I thought did a good job shut down, and the other place, I was very unhappy.

I went to a local salon, where she did plucking instead, and they looked nice, but it was far too expensive.

I haven't tried the Indian string method at this point yet.

If you're a perfectionist, I would recommend doing that in addition to lightly penciling, if they're sparse. Do not draw a hard line! That's so tacky. If you have wild hairs, just brush over your eyebrows with a little bit of clear mascara to keep them in place, as a final step. That also helps blend and lock in the pencil for a natural look. When you're done, you should not see a hard pencil line or you did it wrong.

I think that's what I don't like about my current brush/powder, it's too dark and is thus obviously "drawn in."

I just don't really have a clue where to go in this area. Also, it's kind of touchy because I just hate having to show everyone I wear a hair unit -- when someone is THAT much on top of my face and my hair has to be pulled back, they can easily see the lace front. Meh. So I hate going blind into places unless I know they're going to be worth it.

The shadow primer is unnecessary. What do you put on your eyelids before you apply eyeshadow? You said you apply foundation, so do you apply powder after that?

Yes, I lay MAC foundation on my skin, including a light smooth layer under the brows and down onto on my eyelid, and then I use MAC mineral powder over top everything, in order to equalize and prep the area.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
cEMXNs2wlsGZ4W3eS36csVWMCSglwDviLeKJdpTzAZLVKjMjxJehK-jXJSiquVrBE5UQXwflvbfUslwPPCZMTxpABZfsRI4S-7Ju-ekB0RR59za1AkYqiPFR83Xeqv2hSJZFCXJyp--ErbU5q5y-yTBAOl0096J7Up-KWpKc8l3d

I love the way this smells, and it works nicely too, but it doesn't have that minty feeling like burt's bees.

320263_1887438835737_1534430057_31472171_4818455_n.jpg

yes! rosebud is so great and versatile! i love products that
serve multiple purposes. i always keep this in my bag. i love
that it's wide so i don't need to dip my fingers unlike other lip
balms.i just purse my lips and kiss it. and that's enough to
cover my lips. they're like $4-5 i think. and it's usually placed
around the checkout line in sephora.

aaaand they last and last. the one in the above photo i opened
it in december last year. and i use it almost everyday. so about
10 months. which is really great. and they're very good in hot
weather. it doesn't get waxy melty at all.

also it's so good for like makeshift moisturizer, so good for
elbows and knees. dusty toes if you've been wearing sandals.
feels a bit greasy at first but it absorbs right in. it's very gentle
(it's also used to put on a baby's butt to prevent diaper rash).

and they have a minty one: it's the minted rose:
media.nl

there are three in total: salve, strawberry and minted rose:
98786279-260x260-0-0_Rosebud+Perfume+Rosebud+StackLavish+Layers+Salve+M.jpg

LOOK 1
MM793448-2-164744_L.jpg
Carbon MAC

have you tried black tied? <3 <3
that's my fave black shadow.
and it's super pigmented, applies very easily.

714fc8c8c2ad2c6b_macblack2.preview.jpg

and beauty mark: it goes on black, even if the pot looks red.
but if you pat it on carbon/blacktied/blackshadow the burgundy
sparkles show up so nicely.

578a0f4acb4740ff_swatches_dupe_beauty_marked_sculpted.jpg

they work so well as eyeliners too!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I swear by Nutrogena facial cleansing products now, because I have sensitive combination skin and still break out. I use the old-fashioned Nutrogena clear glycerine acne-bar when I'm low on cash, but I swear by the Nutrogena redness relieving wash in the green bottle...it is actually THE BEST stuff to wash my face in, because I'm prone to redness on my cheeks from skin sensitivity or rosacea or something.

i love ngn's deep clean line, and its scrub in particular:
it has a very similar consistency as the more expensive
sisley buff and wash facial gel (which is really amazing)
but retails at like $113 for 3oz.

but dude, i can't bring myself to pay that for something
i just wash off. for facewash, i'm very happy with ngn.

neutrogena-deep-clean-invigorating-foaming-scrub.jpg
vs
gel_nettoyant_gommant.jpg

i do however invest heavily in my moisturizer.