• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

F

figsfiggyfigs

Discuss your least/ favourite makeup and beauty products here.

You may post videos, pictures, comments, questions, recommendations, reviews, favorite gurus, and so on.

Enjoy! :smile:

Thanks to [MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7160]Nijntje[/MENTION] for the idea.

Last edited:

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Dear Dee. I <3 you for this. I will bombard you with my beauty/cosmetic faves soon <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
P.S. i totally just gave you seven hearts, you'd better be putting out tonight <3

F

figsfiggyfigs

My favourite at the moment

jergens-naturals.jpeg

I absolutely LOVE Jergen products. They're amazing. I've tried all sorts of lotions, and their cucumber cooling sensation(my favorite) is the only one that cools my face, is gentle, and doesn't cause oily skin/break outs.

estee-lauder-idealist-pore-minimizing-skin-refinisher3127.jpg

Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing skin refinisher. Really soft finish; skin feels like silk

311l0TkaS2L._AA300_.jpg

I switched over to Benetint by Benefit around 6 years ago, and it has been the only blush I've used since(daytime) .

nars-orgasm.jpg
Leighton+Meester.jpg

I use Orgasm by Nars on occasion. A find it a tad too pearly at times, but it is my second favourite.

9LL7_311x311.jpg
esteelauderdoublewear2.jpg

My favorite mascara. Estee Lauder Double wear-zero smudge Mascara. Never smudges. Doesn't flake. Doesn't clump, dries quickly, and makes my eyelashes look lonnnnggg.

lumeneeye.jpg
lumenenaturalcodeeyedra.jpg

Lumene Chubby Eyeliner- in navy. Really easy to use, goes on fast, and I like the variety in thickness achievable--without buildup.

metal-eye-shadow.1.jpg
nivea1.jpg

Nivea cream metal- soft gold. Soft, quick to use, not heavy.

lancome-la-laque-fever-ultimate-lasting-lip-shine~143783.jpg
lalaquefever.jpg

Bang Bang Red LA LAQUE FEVER by Lancome(doesn't usually produce high quality products, but I loveeeeee this lipgloss). Gorgeous colours, stays on for hours.

labello-star-fruits-strawberry-02.jpg

Labello Lip balm- Strawberry flavored. Love the smell, taste, and duration!

ScreenHunter_12%20Sep.%2006%2000.06.gif

Bodyshop lip cape-stick in Cocobutter. Hydrates, is a little tough to put on, and a little heavy, but it tastes/smells delicious, and does the job.

Last edited:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
311l0TkaS2L._AA300_.jpg

I switched over to Benetint by Benefit around 6 years ago, and it has been the only blush I've used since(daytime) .
benetint swatch:
108779_sw.jpg

i really love benetint, i've been using it since college,
so over 10 years already. this the original one from
the tint line and it also has the most liquid-y consistency.
i like using it on a bare face + moisturizer (but no foundation),
because i think it's easier to work with... because this formulation
tends to set/dry faster than the other ones in the range.
and if you don't blend it out well you get those streaky marks.

the other ones are below + swatches: and they have a much
thicker consistency, almost gel like, which i find MUCH easier
to work with on a bare face or fully made up face. posietint
is a beautiful pinkish colour, which still gives you that flushed
look that original benetint gives.

P210589_hero.jpg
1074061_sw.jpg
P1281_hero.jpg
108829_sw.jpg
P12601_hero.jpg
517862_sw.jpg

most people really like using high beam as a highlighter, and
i do too, for winter, it just illuminates, you only need to use
a little it goes a long way (apply about a finger's width under
your eye all over your cheekbone after you put benetint on,
so there's no streaking, if using with posietint/chachatint, it
blends very well).

but my go-to is definitely moonbeam, i love the gold, and it
warms up the face, and i think it's a way easier colour to work
with, plus, it photographs much better--don't have to think about
it too much when applying. i use it on cheeks, bridge of my nose,
and cupid's bow.

price-wise: benefit cosmetics are not cheap. a full size bottle
is US$29 and even more expensive in the UK - £24.50, however
the product lasts an insanely longtime. i've had my benetint for almost
2 years already, and use it regularly and less than half is gone.

if you're starting out, check out the mini kits, which i really love
and it's only $15, you get 3types: (full size is 0.45 oz compared to the 0.13 oz minis)

P281701_hero.jpg

This set contains:
- 0.13 oz Posietint (poppy pink)
- 0.13 oz High Beam (shimmering pale pink)
- 0.13 oz Benetint (rose)

P290634_hero.jpg
1343961_sw.jpg

cha cha tint, is their newest one,
which was just launched over the summer.
and it's definitely my new favourite. it's
a very subtle pop of colour, and it's a colour
i can wear through out the year.

lips a lot of people use the tints are lip stains
also, but i don't use it on my lips because i have very, very
dry lips and is prone to have a rougher surface from the dry
skin, especially if i'm not buffing it regularly. when i put the
liquid tints on, the colour gets caught on the outer ridges of
the dry skin, and it's not pretty, makes me look like i have
cracked lips.

P8941_hero.jpg
1118728_sw.jpg

i think this is an issue benefit had with their users with dry lips,
so a few years ago... they came out with the benetint lip balm SPF 15.
THIS is my favourite product of the entire tint line: conditioning + colour + protection (spf15).

my favourite products always serve multiple purposes. and with this, it's an
effortless upkeep of the lips (i'm really lazy about buffing lips) and this keeps
it soft, and i have yet to find another product that gives this exact colour with
the conditioning properties (not even Fresh's Sugar Lip Tints - though their
colours are also great..but it really doesn't condition as well as benetint lip balm)
the colour is very sheer, and you look like you've been eating berries all day.
and just super super soft lips.

yeah. i really like benefit.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I was once an aspiring MUA. So I have soft spot for Ben Nye cosmetics.

http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/

Some people might think these lines are too old school and greasy but they have a line specifically for film (much more user and wearer friendly) and not theater. The prices are generally much better than department store brands. I'm not a fan of Benefit cosmetics, their products always had so much hope but I decided it was mostly good marketing and packaging. Also, make up is kinda pointless IMHO if you have problem skin, which I had for many years. So I still mainly like lip gloss :D

I do remember liking Max Factor 1000 calorie mascara or whatever the name was. Maybe I was still young and just in awe of mascara in general, but that stuff really did fatten up your lashes. I tried using the old pink standby (Covergirl?) for mascara when I MUA freelanced, but I really didn't see the big deal. Until recently with all the new applicator breakthroughs, I found most mascaras to be extremely similar no matter their cost. I also tried that white thickening powder before mascara but it would just clump up and blind me. :p

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Burt's Beeswax Lip Balm - It's inexpensive and it keeps my lips from chapping and crackling. Does a good job fighting dry skin. Love the way it makes my lips feel, and the tingle.

Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Stress Relief Eucalyptus Spearmint Sugar Scrub - Good value. The only time my hands actually feel moist is after I use this product. Leaves my skin baby soft. I also love the scent.

B&BW Intense Moisture Body Butter - Another good value from B&BW. I use this not because it is the best, but because it's the best I've found for the money. The scents are nice, and it leaves my skin feeling nicely moisturized without being sticky. The consistency is thick, and I like thicker creams.

More later..... :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I was once an aspiring MUA. So I have soft spot for Ben Nye cosmetics.

http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/

Some people might think these lines are too old school and greasy but they have a line specifically for film (much more user and wearer friendly) and not theater. The prices are generally much better than department store brands. I'm not a fan of Benefit cosmetics, their products always had so much hope but I decided it was mostly good marketing and packaging. Also, make up is kinda pointless IMHO if you have problem skin, which I had for many years. So I still mainly like lip gloss :D

bennyelp3.jpg

i have some ben nye products. i have some colour wheels
and the 12 colour lumiere grande colour palette, and it's
great for face and body painting (can be applied dry or wet)

(i love the chartreuse green
ben-nye-chartreuse-s.jpg
)

the good: it's super pigmented, a little goes a very long way
plus it's cheaper than mac. and easier to use that mac's loose
pigments. and you can still get a sheer colour (use dry) or
a very intense colour (use wet).

tan-mac-pigment.jpg

the bad: i HATE the packaging. i hate the plastic covers
i think they're a pain in the ass. and i think it's 'dryer' than
mac shadows, and the darker colours are harder to blend
and have higher likelihood to get muddy on your lids especially
if you're still new to blending.

I do remember liking Max Factor 1000 calorie mascara or whatever the name was. Maybe I was still young and just in awe of mascara in general, but that stuff really did fatten up your lashes. I tried using the old pink standby (Covergirl?) for mascara when I MUA freelanced, but I really didn't see the big deal. Until recently with all the new applicator breakthroughs, I found most mascaras to be extremely similar no matter their cost. I also tried that white thickening powder before mascara but it would just clump up and blind me. :p

i don't like western brand mascaras.
they smudge and don't do much for
my lashes which are very straight
and short. i love majolica majorca
and fairydrops.

Fairy-drops-mascara.jpg

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
i don't like western brand mascaras.
they smudge and don't do much for
my lashes which are very straight
and short. i love majolica majorca
and fairydrops.

Fairy-drops-mascara.jpg

1) Damn, you are like a make-up pro! You probably have enough in your personal collection to use as an MUA kit. Yeah, the thing with the pro-theatrical lines like Ben Nye and Mehron are less user friendly and often dry or dries out the skin. Even the greasy consistency stuff will dry your skin out. I love the Ben Nye cream blushes though, I think I had the color wheel for myself years ago. I also heard a tip about dumping "sparkly dust" (loose pigment) in hair conditioner to make your hair 'extra shiny'.

2) Ha, after I realized no mascara would do anything for my Asian lashes (they are long but but stick straight and thin), I got eyelash extensions. Badabing badaboom! I've also used eyelash growing formulas which worked. Latisse kinda works but makes me look like a red-eyed coke fiend or someone possessed in a Japanese horror film.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, more.... I can't sleep :)

Might have to try some Ben Nye......
I'm pretty new at makeup, and don't have a lot of time for it, but I do like to try new products, experiment, learn new methods, and have fun with it. I've learned alot from Marlena at Makeup Geek.

Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer - Works miracles. Can't live without it. (Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. :D)

wontchipbox.jpg

I used to have chipped nails after two days..... Now, with Orly Bonder and Won't Chip, and Opi Nail Lacquer, I can keep a manicure for two weeks with minimal maintenance.

Phyto Phytodensium Anti-Aging Mask - Holy Freakin' Grail. A volumizing product that actually works. I've only tried this one product by Phyto thus far. I got a sample of it from Sephora, and went back to buy the full jar. I'm planning to try a lot more of their products.

Although I've tried a few (and only a few), brands of skincare, I find that Dr. Perricone is my current winner. I haven't been blown over by anything skincare-wise, thus far. I used Lancome for awhile because I liked the free gifts, which are plentiful, and are a good way to build up a daily makeup kit from nothing. I love the consistency of their moisturizers, and the way they make my skin feel, but I think Dr. Perricone products are overall more effective. The dry patch on my neck is gone now, whereas, with Lancome, it was more prominent.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer - Works miracles. Can't live without it. (Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. :D)
totally agree, i really like this primer too! though it has silicone in it,
so it has a slippery feeling to it. it's really hot where i am, and some
days i just don't like that greasy feeling i get from it? how does it work
in the summers for you?

have you tried make up forever's hd primer? it has a more lotiony feel
which i actually prefer and it's oil free. it leaves a nice matte feeling
on skin, and i feel my skin 'breathes' better. (i have combination skin,
with very dry cheeks). get a sampler from sephora!

P217906_hero.jpg

I used to have chipped nails after two days..... Now, with Orly Bonder and Won't Chip, and Opi Nail Lacquer, I can keep a manicure for two weeks with minimal maintenance.

i love OPI and Sephora by OPI. my current fave is I'm Wired:
1145952_sw.jpg

(opaque electric coral red)

i love it, i do just one coat on my nails, and it's
this beautiful sheer coral pinkish colour, and do
a double coat on my toenails.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I really like the Poisetint, which is the only other tint I've tried--I find it 'streaks' more often than the benetint, which appears more natural imo. They don't have benefit products in Sweden. Not that I've noticed at least. So my sister usually gets me a few from Dubai, or Canada. Next time I'm in Canada, I'm going to try all of their stuff.

You're right about Benetint, it lasts FOR EVER. The only issue with me is, I'm always accidentally knocking it over...

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
totally agree, i really like this primer too! though it has silicone in it,
so it has a slippery feeling to it. it's really hot where i am, and some
days i just don't like that greasy feeling i get from it? how does it work
in the summers for you?

I have dry, aging skin and live in a drier climate, so I like a little grease. The original formula does me well. I have problems with my makeup drying out and then sticking to my face, and making me look worse.

have you tried make up forever's hd primer? it has a more lotiony feel
which i actually prefer and it's oil free. it leaves a nice matte feeling
on skin, and i feel my skin 'breathes' better. (i have combination skin,
with very dry cheeks). get a sampler from sephora!

P217906_hero.jpg

Haven't tried this one, but I will make sure and test it in the store (and ask for a sample ha).

i love OPI and Sephora by OPI. my current fave is I'm Wired:
1145952_sw.jpg

(opaque electric coral red)

i love it, i do just one coat on my nails, and it's
this beautiful sheer coral pinkish colour, and do
a double coat on my toenails.

Pretty color. I got the Opi sampler for Christmas, and I've been using it all year. Love it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have oily, sensitive skin, so I look for products which keep my face from sliding off in warm weather.

My favorite eyeshadow primer, by far: Urban Decay Primer Potion (I like the champagne shade)
urbandecay_primertubes001.jpg

I'm a mineral makeup user since the powder is better for my shiny face & I find it non-irritating. My favorite foundation is Everyday Minerals, Intensive Formula, in Olive Fair. I only use this for a winter shade, as they discontinued my summer shade (boo!):
everydayminerals_foundation.jpg

I'm actually using Bare Minerals for summer now, in Golden Fair, but ONLY the matte formula. The regular formula has a weird sheen & seems to exacerbate acne.
matte.jpg

I love Korres Lip Butter. It feels like a balm, creamy & not sticky, but it has color still, so it looks like a lipstick with sheen or a not-too-shiny lip gloss:
korres+lip+butter.jpg

I like their glosses for a similar reason, although they are glossier & therefore a tad stickier:
korres-cherry-lip-gloss-trio~960401.jpg

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a MAC girl, all the way:

mac-mineralize-skinfinish-natural-powder-light-1208-p.jpg

These days I lean towards their mineral line, which has a very sheer but nice feel to it. I wear only the powder when I'm just staying at home, and use their cream foundation or satinfinish mineral foundation for more special occasions and more coverage.

I have their new mineral eyeshadows as well:

mac-bloomingdales-eye-shadow-mineralize-eyeshadow.jpg

I love the different colours in them, and as they're handmade and baked, each one has different amounts of those colours. This one turns out into a very layered and deep grey. It shimmers slightly, and slides on well. The only downside I feel, is that it doesn't have as much staying power as their normal eyeshadows (which I also have a few off). They also all have that shine to them, which is beautiful, but not always the effect you're going for. I also hope they keep expanding on the colour range, as they have a phenomenal range in their normal collection but are just getting started on their mineral range.

Aside from that, my favorite lipstick of all times has got to be Ruby woo:

mens-love-red-lipstick.jpg

mac-ruby-woo-1.jpg

especially when paired with Russian Red Lipglass, for a killer finish on special occasions:

mac-tinted-lipglass-russian-red-48g.jpg

The_Perfect_Red_Lips_tutorial.jpg

I stick usually with a pink Lip conditioner during the day, though I have several lipsticks as welll.

I am looking to try out OPI nail polishes, simply coz Mac doens't have that many different shades and I'm stil looking for an icy lavender one :)

I'm still trying out skin care products, but i haven't found a brand that I'm fully comfortable with yet. For now I'm using Nuxe:

creme-nirvanesque-nuxe.jpg

...which does smell and feel like heaven in a jar..kinda like going to a spa. I'm still testing to see what my skin thinks of it after 6 weeks :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use Mac stuff pretty exclusive for foundation/skin and blush, but the price usually means I look for cheaper alternatives for other types of makeup.

I'm still playing around with other areas, but I like Urban Decay for my eyeliner. However, it's a smudgy style (not a precise line).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I swear by Nutrogena facial cleansing products now, because I have sensitive combination skin and still break out. I use the old-fashioned Nutrogena clear glycerine acne-bar when I'm low on cash, but I swear by the Nutrogena redness relieving wash in the green bottle...it is actually THE BEST stuff to wash my face in, because I'm prone to redness on my cheeks from skin sensitivity or rosacea or something.

132339__20103_thumb.jpg

I still have to moisturize even though I break out, and I find that these Garnier Nutritioniste products are great for moisturing without clogging up my pores.

4dc82e81d993d.jpg

31wvMJC0qyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But because I am also terrified of looking old, I dish out more money for this L'Oreal Collagen Micropulse for my eyes and Collagen Filler for around the eye and lip area.

AAAAC_YjbucAAAAAARUkFA.jpg

loreal-collagen-filler-eye.jpg

I tend to not be very consistent about what make-up I use (though maybe I should be?) but I prefer this L'Oreal Voluminous liquid eye-liner in blackest black.

363653.jpg

I'm addicted to chapstick and lip gloss, but I just grab whatever looks nice. Strawberry flavor is wonderful for clear lip gloss! Is that childish? Um...oops?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
B&BW Intense Moisture Body Butter - Another good value from B&BW. I use this not because it is the best, but because it's the best I've found for the money. The scents are nice, and it leaves my skin feeling nicely moisturized without being sticky. The consistency is thick, and I like thicker creams.

Oohh...that reminds me that I just discovered this stuff! It feels great on my skin and doesn't have an overpowering smell that could clash with perfumes or other scented products.

W91012-OH-Body-Butter-B250.jpg

I like Bath and Body Works for similar products (sugar scrubs and body butters, et al) but haven't been there in a while. When I do I love Japanese Cherry Blossom!!!

japanese-cherry-blossom.jpg

I also like the Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy line, like citrus-y sugar scrubs and the other Aromatherapy products with bergamot in it.

Speaking of aromatherapy, I'm also partial to things like lavender oil for relaxation.