• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone have any suggestions to tame unruly gray hairs without it feeling like you have greasy or crunchy nasty product in your hair?

I have thick, coarse, dark brown hair. It’s not curly, but frizzes easily under certain conditions. I don’t mind all my random stray gray hairs, but they are definitely wiry and lay differently than the rest of my hair. They stand out quite a bit against the dark hair, so their unruliness kind of makes my hair look a lot messier than it would otherwise. I mean, I am a catlady, but I’m not quite ready to completely look the part, haha. The grays in my bangs are probably the craziest looking.

Short of using a flat iron daily, & even that doesn’t work sometimes (plus it’s bad for hair to do daily), what products can I use? My hair gets oily easily, so mousses and stuff I’ve tried before just end up looking really gross within a few hours.

This isn’t urgent, just something I’ve been meaning to ask about.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anyone have any suggestions to tame unruly gray hairs without it feeling like you have greasy or crunchy nasty product in your hair?

I have thick, coarse, dark brown hair. It’s not curly, but frizzes easily under certain conditions. I don’t mind all my random stray gray hairs, but they are definitely wiry and lay differently than the rest of my hair. They stand out quite a bit against the dark hair, so their unruliness kind of makes my hair look a lot messier than it would otherwise. I mean, I am a catlady, but I’m not quite ready to completely look the part, haha. The grays in my bangs are probably the craziest looking.

Short of using a flat iron daily, & even that doesn’t work sometimes (plus it’s bad for hair to do daily), what products can I use? My hair gets oily easily, so mousses and stuff I’ve tried before just end up looking really gross within a few hours.

This isn’t urgent, just something I’ve been meaning to ask about.

My mom has coarse thick hair and she likes Aveda Retexturizing Gel. She also said it isn't crunchy or oily on her hair. I've never used this product but I've used many other Aveda styling products and color and they're great.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've experienced positive results for myself with these products:

- Olay Regenerist Collagen Peptide 24 Cream Cleanser (it's the only cleanser I've tried that doesn't make my skin dry, shiny, and tight) (morning and night)
- TruSkin Vitamin C & E Serum (morning)
- DRMTLGY Broad Spectrum SPF 45 (morning)
- CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion (good consistency for both body and face) (morning and night)
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Regenerating Retinol Cream (fragrance-free) (night)
- Differin Adapalene Gel (more aggressive retinol I use for body hyperpigmentation) (night)
- Pureology shampoo/conditioner
- OGX Coconut Coffee Body Scrub
- Organic honey for lips

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did some paid product testing a couple of months ago, shampoo & conditioner. And holy crap, I loved it. They didn’t list the brand during the trial, but after googling the ingredients on the nameless bottle, I found it:

1658760987218.jpeg

I have thick, coarse, frizzy hair with a lot of unruly grays. This stuff not only smoothed that out, my hair feels soft and has a nice shine to it, now. Doesn’t make me greasy, either. I don’t even need my flat iron.
I’m not big on coconut-scented things. I don’t need to smell like a tropical island 24/7. The shampoo & conditioner smell strongly of coconut when you first dispense it, but the scent doesn’t linger at all really, once you rinse.

After spending a whole day swimming in a chlorinated pool this weekend, I felt like this really helped rehydrate my hair & get all the sticky chlorine knots out, too.

Highly recommend.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've experienced positive results for myself with these products:

- Olay Regenerist Collagen Peptide 24 Cream Cleanser (it's the only cleanser I've tried that doesn't make my skin dry, shiny, and tight) (morning and night)
- TruSkin Vitamin C & E Serum (morning)
- DRMTLGY Broad Spectrum SPF 45 (morning)
- CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion (good consistency for both body and face) (morning and night)
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Regenerating Retinol Cream (fragrance-free) (night)
- Differin Adapalene Gel (more aggressive retinol I use for body hyperpigmentation) (night)
- Pureology shampoo/conditioner
- OGX Coconut Coffee Body Scrub
- Organic honey for lips

The bold are the products I still use and recommend.

Changes:

- I've replaced my Vital Proteins collagen with a brand called Sparkle Wellness which has 5g of the more concentrated verisol form of collagen. The serving is one scoop instead of two, so it saves me money, it contains enough vitamin C to meet my daily requirements (the classic Vital Proteins one does not contain Vitamin C), and I can conveniently drink it with water instead of having to make tea to tolerate the taste (I use the acai lemonade flavor, though I have to hold my nose because it smells like amoxicillin).

- I've omitted vitamin C serum because my complexion began to show an orange tint and my undereyes appeared crepey with more perceptible veins as if I was dehydrated. All of these things returned to normal upon stopping use. Other substances I avoid are caffeine, detox teas, and creatine due to a similar dehydrated look around the eyes and additionally facial bloating. I'm not sure how effective topical vitamin C is anyway.

- I'm now taking cod liver oil capsules for vitamin A.

- Latisse works amazingly for eyelash growth, but expensive.

- I've started using a clarifying shampoo as needed since increasing my hair product usage, so it no longer continues to feel gross and weighed down after washing.

- I am prone to body acne, so I've replaced my body wash with Neutrogena's pink grapefruit salicylic acid one and also no longer use Adapalene on my upper back, and my breakouts have stopped completely. My oil glands might have been overactive because I was attempting to dry them out too much. I still don't dare use any moisturizing products on my back.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any suggestions for a liquid makeup foundation that doesn’t transfer easily (like, doesn’t wipe off under a mask)? Does that even exist??

In particular, one I might find in a drugstore (affordable). And one for stupidly fair skin that won’t look orange/yellow/overly pink. I’m usually the lightest color in most makeup. Blue undertones.

I’m going to a small outdoor wedding soon. I’m still going to wear a mask when I’m really close to anyone (like if the seats are closely set during the vows), & going indoors at the venue to use the bathroom.

I usually just wear a tinted sunscreen & skip a foundation altogether. It blurs minor issues & feels more natural looking for everyday. But a more formal event in a nice cocktail dress, I like to look a bit more... polished (plus I like bold eye makeup for formal things). So, foundation would be a better option.

I used to wear the lightest Revlon Colorstay Mousse foundation for those rare events pre-pandemic, but it’s been discontinued & always broke me out afterward, anyway.

Lower priority product suggestion request: a decent black waterproof eyeliner (especially one that works well on the waterline).

No, I don’t cry at weddings... but sometimes the wind blowing around outside/ragweed make my eyes water.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Any face product recommendations for skin that's dry as a bone? It's especially dry on the sides. I've also had giant pores my whole life and I hate them. I don't really struggle with acne as much, here and there, but the pores are still big and loud. I feel like I have weird shadows, my face feels so lifeless. I'm using a Ponds moisturizer right now, gotta see how that works, and I tried some sort of acid in the past but it didn't really do anything.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any face product recommendations for skin that's dry as a bone? It's especially dry on the sides. I've also had giant pores my whole life and I hate them. I don't really struggle with acne as much, here and there, but the pores are still big and loud. I feel like I have weird shadows, my face feels so lifeless. I'm using a Ponds moisturizer right now, gotta see how that works, and I tried some sort of acid in the past but it didn't really do anything.
I really like Neutrogena products. For the fact that you feel your skin is dull, you could try a product with retinol, just be careful at first and follow the suggestion of trying the product every other day to make sure it won't irritate your skin before using it daily, along with using it at night. Use sunscreen, perhaps Neutrogena or Olay everyday facial moisturizer that has SPF (or the Ponds that you already have). I have large pores, too, and they are so annoying. I haven't found anything that works aside from exfoliating, but I do know that messing with them doesn't help. I'd tell my past self to leave them alone if I could.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another thing is to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in your diet - Omega 3s.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As a person with dry skin, rosacea and large pores, it's a struggle to find something to address the issues and/or not make the other issues worse. I use the Clinique Moisture Surge line as it seems to work best at the moment. In the winter when the dry skin gets worse, I like to add Neutrogena Hydro Burst gel moisturize or Vanicream at night. You can also try a mist like Caudalie Grape Water or La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water Face Mist - both are very affordable - and can be used throughout the day. Some kind of exfoliating will probably help the weird shadows and your skin feeling lifeless.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom has coarse thick hair and she likes Aveda Retexturizing Gel. She also said it isn't crunchy or oily on her hair. I've never used this product but I've used many other Aveda styling products and color and they're great.
I finally ended up ordering some of this recently... it kept my hair from frizzing up outside at my friend’s wedding perfectly!! Some of my gray hairs curl up almost standing on top of my head, if it’s humid out— it looks so dumb. This completely prevented that, & didn’t feel like I had anything in my hair, really. So thank you again for the recommendation. It was well worth the money, & a little goes a long way, so I think it’ll last me awhile.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I finally ended up ordering some of this recently... it kept my hair from frizzing up outside at my friend’s wedding perfectly!! Some of my gray hairs curl up almost standing on top of my head, if it’s humid out— it looks so dumb. This completely prevented that, & didn’t feel like I had anything in my hair, really. So thank you again for the recommendation. It was well worth the money, & a little goes a long way, so I think it’ll last me awhile.

Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls works well for frizz too.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I got this weird skin diagnostic thing at a liquidation store for 50 cents and despite my skin feeling dry it actually said I have oily skin on my cheeks, combination skin on my forehead and a normal skin barrier and that my PH level is 5.5. Exfoliation is what I need, I have a sea kelp scrub that's really nice that was like 10 bucks.