• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

AM:
Pond's Oil Control cleanser
Obe Labs Vitamin C serum
Daiso Royal Jelly gel

PM:
Pond's Oil Control cleanser
Alternate days: The Ordinary Salicylic Acid with Obe Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum OR Obe Labs Retinol Serum
Once a week: The Ordinary AHA/BHA mask with Obe Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Ouyuey 99% Aloe Vera Gel

+Facial masks whenever I feel like it (Rarely)

Any advice on improving my skincare regimen without breaking the bank? For import reasons, Cerave is expensive where I live, so I'm hesitant to try it. I want to get rid of dark spots on my jaw from previously having acne. I think they're called Post-inflammation hyperpigmentation. I also tend to get pimples around my jaw area.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never used makeup and I asked a female friend of mine to teach me how to use makeup. What reading material would you guys recommend for someone who's never used it?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’m also so glad they finally made a version with a pump lid. Just feels cleaner.

Last night, I opened my retinol/vitamin C cream jar to find a dead gnat who must have wandered on to the lid the night before while I applied it, and gone unnoticed in my half asleep and blind-without-glasses state. I wish it had a pump. Now I want to throw out a barely used jar :dry::mad::(

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last night, I opened my retinol/vitamin C cream jar to find a dead gnat who must have wandered on to the lid the night before while I applied it, and gone unnoticed in my half asleep and blind-without-glasses state. I wish it had a pump. Now I want to throw out a barely used jar :dry::mad::(

Blegggggh, bastard bugs. :dry:

Contaminants aside— jars are the worst for retinol AND vitamin C. They both degrade rapidly from light & air exposure. Also, vitamin C can actually reduce the efficacy of retinoids when used at the same time (AHAs & BHAs reduce potency of retinoids when used together too, but I digress). I hate when companies mix the two. C is best in daytime (with spf if you go outdoors or work near windows), & vitamin A derivatives (such as retinol) are best used at night. And B3 (niacinamide) is good both AM/PM.

Ok, I’ll stop nerding out on you about the vitamin alphabet, now, ha.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], I find your occasional nerding out helpful. I use tretinoin cream and there's quite a few helpful things I wouldn't know if it weren't for you and this thread. I don't have the patience to research this kind of thing on my own.

[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] has dropped her share of useful info here too. I think I have her to thank for knowing about salux washcloths and hyluronic (?) acid. And sending Tweezerman tweezers in to get sharpened. All three were gamechangers.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Contaminants aside— jars are the worst for retinol AND vitamin C. They both degrade rapidly from light & air exposure. Also, vitamin C can actually reduce the efficacy of retinoids when used at the same time (AHAs & BHAs reduce potency of retinoids when used together too, but I digress). I hate when companies mix the two. C is best in daytime (with spf if you go outdoors or work near windows), & vitamin A derivatives (such as retinol) are best used at night. And B3 (niacinamide) is good both AM/PM.

Ok, I’ll stop nerding out on you about the vitamin alphabet, now, ha.

Do you have a favorite vitamin C? This is my first attempt at using it, and I basically just bought my usual retinol but a different version which also has vitamin C. I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. I also just stocked up on Neutrogena SPF moisturizer, since it's my favorite for not being greasy and not irritating my eyes.

6802122_RWR_Moisturizer_Night_1oz_0008.jpg

6811108-MAIN.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you have a favorite vitamin C? This is my first attempt at using it, and I basically just bought my usual retinol but a different version which also has vitamin C. I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. I also just stocked up on Neutrogena SPF moisturizer, since it's my favorite for not being greasy and not irritating my eyes.

6802122_RWR_Moisturizer_Night_1oz_0008.jpg

6811108-MAIN.jpg

Oh yeah, Neutrogena has some good retinol products, iirc. I haven’t used OTC retinol in awhile since I have prescription retinoids, but I used to use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream [Night] in the blue/white tube. They did recently decrease the concentration of retinol in the US version of my old Neutrogena stuff (sneaky jerks), but the apparently Canadian formula of it has not changed/is still actually useful. That Rapid Repair Night Cream in the pump you use is probably pretty good, too, based on where the active ingredients are in the list.

As for vitamin C- I haven’t added it to my skincare regimen yet, because the high-dose retinoids I’m on have been taking me forever to adjust, & vitamin C can increase some of my temporary irritation/burning sensation. However, when I finally do adjust to my tretinoin dosage, I plan to get this Olay serum for daytime vitamin C:

Olay Tone Perfecting Serum B3 + Vitamin C

I have good experiences w/Olay in terms of improved skin(& it doesn’t break me out in acne), & the C concentration looks good on this product, based on where it’s listed in the ingredients stack. It also has niacinamide [aka vitamin B3], which is good for anti-aging as well as acne, etc. It also soothes irritation one might get from vitamin C. The bottle is opaque, which is essential, since C breaks down in light. It’s a very watery serum with a dropper applicator, so I’m guessing a little bottle will last quite awhile & be worth the money.

Oh, and Neutrogena does make some nice sunscreens! I used some of their face ones before I moved to EltaMD tinted sunscreen (which basically replaces makeup for me/I can skip a step in getting ready). Try to avoid any that contain a lot of retinol or retinyl palmitate, though, as vitiman A derivatives will make you more UV-sensitive & work better at night, anyway.

I like Neutrogena body sunscreens a lot for beach days; I never burn when I use them, & they’re easy to apply even when my skin is wet/sandy after swimming (especially the yellow bottle). Someday I’d like to look into getting UPF 50+ swim leggings/long sleeved swim shirt to replace sunscreen, though. I feel like it might be more cost effective in the long term, & possibly better for the oceans. I still need to do some more research on how UPF-treated clothing works, & poke my dermatologist about it sometime...

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have any of you guys tried those bleachless hair dyes? I remember seeing one that catered to 4c hair specifically but I can't find it. Thoughts?

Also what color should I even go for? So many options... :unsure:

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I somehow got a big zit -- I don't know what it was because I've been eating really well for a while now and that's normally all it takes -- so I put some toothpaste on it to harden it and am gonna try to keep it on over night. First time doing this so I hope it works. :dry: It's definitely doing something to it, had it on for the last 3 hours. It *feels* like that hardening Aztec clay stuff.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Toothpaste works, but don't use the dark blue gel. It will tint your zit blue. Learned from experience.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have a question.

I have really sensitive face skin. That sounds really dumb, but its true. When I put stuff on my face sometimes it breaks out into puffy rashes or scale like ones.

But I also still get acne. Like, a good amount of it still. And Im in my mid 20s now so its kinda... not fantastic.

I dont want to use any harsh chemicals because my face will overreact and Ill end up looking like a gross monster, but also... its kinda gross to have acne. And I dont think the wearing a mask every day is helping.

Anyone have any suggestions. Toothpaste is... is it ok/healthy to just slather that on my face? I am willing to try it, I just dont want my face to freak out. Dermatologists always suggest really chemically stuff that is hard on my skin, I am wondering if there are more natural options

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a question.

I have really sensitive face skin. That sounds really dumb, but its true. When I put stuff on my face sometimes it breaks out into puffy rashes or scale like ones.

But I also still get acne. Like, a good amount of it still. And Im in my mid 20s now so its kinda... not fantastic.

I dont want to use any harsh chemicals because my face will overreact and Ill end up looking like a gross monster, but also... its kinda gross to have acne. And I dont think the wearing a mask every day is helping.

Anyone have any suggestions. Toothpaste is... is it ok/healthy to just slather that on my face? I am willing to try it, I just dont want my face to freak out. Dermatologists always suggest really chemically stuff that is hard on my skin, I am wondering if there are more natural options

Toothpaste is really drying... I think it would be a bad idea.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have a question.

Use CeraVe or a line that is made for dry, sensitive skin - you can also get outbreaks regardless. No fragrance, no essential oils, nothing that's going to dry or irritate. No toothpaste.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Use CeraVe or a line that is made for dry, sensitive skin - you can also get outbreaks regardless. No fragrance, no essential oils, nothing that's going to dry or irritate. No toothpaste.

Ok thank you. It isnt too expensive right? Im going to head to the store now and get a few things so if I see it Ill pick it up.

Thanks!

Monika

Makeup basic

I've never used makeup and I asked a female friend of mine to teach me how to use makeup. What reading material would you guys recommend for someone who's never used it?

Why do you want to learn it, that is really interesting? Anyway that could be not of my business ;) Maybe start with some BB-cream to hide all the skin problems. For someone who never used makeup I can suggest to use the products which do not require much effort from your side.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I don't know what type of makeup you are looking to apply but You Tube is great help in this area. You can also look at places like Ulta or Sephora for more hands on help.

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As of late I have a simple skin routine of:

-Clean & Clear Dual Action moisturizer in the morning, plus some SPF 10 (my skin is naturally dark) on areas I could get wrinkles.

-Alternating between Noxzema Classic Clean and Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser at night. Followed by Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner and more of the C&C Moisturizer. I also put standard vaseline on the areas where my skin gets especially dry, on top of the moisturizer layer.

And all this week I've been using Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay mixed with apple cider vinegar to try and reset my skin.

I've been doing everything else besides the clay masks for a while and I'm pretty happy with it. I purposely sought out more classic products to see how they would work for me.

Ad Zombie RAWR

Permabanned
My face has always been very sensitive and dry, which never was a good thing because It caused many trouble. As a sixteen years old, I have wanted to make at least a small amount of money for some skincare products. I have been working very hard that month, I can still remember the pain I felt in my arms. A few weeks later I have found the best moisturizer I have ever used in my entire life. If you compare my face before and after using this product, you will be as shocked as I was. You can find this moisturizer just by clicking on the link [URL="https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ"]Silly Ad bot Posts are for people[/URL]. Darlings this really is a lifesaver!

Last edited by a moderator: