• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread always gives me non-sensitive skin envy. I have incredibly sensitive skin, I can't use most of the things people mention here. I use CeraVe PM lotion and their eye repair cream, but their daytime/AM facial moisturizer gives me acne, burns, and makes my skin rashy. Even Thayer's witch hazel or Mario Badescu's rose water toner - both of which I've heard high praise of - both make my skin break out. Having sensitive skin sucks.

When’d you last try the CeraVe AM lotion? They recently changed the formula (in the past year, I think? :thinking: ). It may still be too irritating, but some of the chemical suncreen in it has been greatly reduced & replaced with higher amounts of mineral-based spf (zinc oxide), which tends to be gentler on sensitive skin. Might be worth a try, if you can get it somewhere with a good return policy if it doesn’t work out.

Also, I highly recommend this pure aloe gel (more a liquid than a gel texture, though, because it has no fillers) for irritated, sensitive skin. It’s perishable, so it has to be refrigerated after you open it, but it feels even more soothing that way, anyway. I apply with a cotton round, when I have it, but you can put it in a spray bottle, too.

Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe Vera

( Feel free to disregard if not helpful/applicable :) )

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, I highly recommend this pure aloe gel (more a liquid than a gel texture, though, because it has no fillers) for irritated, sensitive skin. It’s perishable, so it has to be refrigerated after you open it, but it feels even more soothing that way, anyway. I apply with a cotton round, when I have it, but you can put it in a spray bottle, too.

Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe Vera

( Feel free to disregard if not helpful/applicable :) )

I know it had gone full zinc the last time I tried it, because I scrutinize ingredients and stay the heck away from chemical sunscreen (it burns/hurts). I think it was in the past year, but I'm not certain. I found an Aveeno facial moisturizer that uses zinc and my skin reacts well to it (I can't even use store knock-offs of it), so I hope beyond hope they continue to make it for a long time.

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the sensitivity (I can use retinol and Strivectin, but not witch hazel?!). :shrug: I will definitely keep the aloe vera in mind though, should the ballpark of a need for something like that arise. Sometimes my current regimen inexplicably and spontaneously goes tits up and I need to experiment. Thanks.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, interestingly, I can use CeraVe's facial sunscreen (zinc based), but not their AM facial moisturizer. No idea why.

Pinker85

Continuing on with natural skin care and loving it! Almond flour is an awesome cleanser, I also am getting some honey tomorrow to wash face with. I'm trying a new shampoo made of neem that's natural. Trying to switch water jugs to glass. Super excited about the changes. No acne which normally is a signal to me my skin isn't agreeing with a new beauty regime. It's real simple, almond flour and jojoba to cleanse with, wash, spray some rose water and pat in jojoba.
What I love is I'm honoring my body and trying to keep it healthy! By trying to switch to more natural products I'm putting my health as a priority and that feels very empowering! I'm so grateful for this fun opportunity to try out a new adventure! What a wonderful experience! I'm so happy!

Pinker85

I've gotta say my skin may look even better with natural skincare. I don't know if it'll work longer term as my skin can be sensitive and is breakout prone but atm it looks pretty good from natural skincare. I've started using coconut oil and honey, just also started using vitamin E for lips and eyes. Today as I was washing my face I was impressed by how smooth the skin feels. So surprising! Skin looks radiant and the skin tone looks nice also.
Morning mask and scrub: turmeric, almond flour, jojoba oil, Thayer's toner and water mixed up to a paste consistency. Pat on skin like a mask and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Wash with slight circular motions. After spray on rose water and pat in jojoba oil while skin is still damp.
I use coconut oil to remove sunblock at the of day followed by a honey mask for 10-15 minutes. Wash off and spritz on rose water and pat in jojoba oil.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've gotta say my skin may look even better with natural skincare. I don't know if it'll work longer term as my skin can be sensitive and is breakout prone but atm it looks pretty good from natural skincare. I've started using coconut oil and honey, just also started using vitamin E for lips and eyes. Today as I was washing my face I was impressed by how smooth the skin feels. So surprising! Skin looks radiant and the skin tone looks nice also.
Morning mask and scrub: turmeric, almond flour, jojoba oil, Thayer's toner and water mixed up to a paste consistency. Pat on skin like a mask and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Wash with slight circular motions. After spray on rose water and pat in jojoba oil while skin is still damp.
I use coconut oil to remove sunblock at the of day followed by a honey mask for 10-15 minutes. Wash off and spritz on rose water and pat in jojoba oil.

I've been lazy with my face for awhile now (pandemic and depression), but I've had great success overall since I began removing makeup/cleansing with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and rosehip oil applied to an organic cotton ball (in that order). Jojoba works well too and is beneficial if you're looking to absorb whatever product you apply next because jojoba is the oil most closely mimicking natural human skin oils, so it sucks everything down in there deeper. I use the rosehip oil to even out my blotchy pinkish complexion.

Besides that, I use Beauty Counter products (moisturizer, peel, light foundation). It's not cheap but I like the quality and I'm supporting a friend by purchasing it (stupid MLM companies).

I don't actually like to do much in the way of beauty care... I've never been girly and have always had an aversion to being high maintenance, so the above routine is maximum effort for me. It works though when I stick to it.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has any one heard of these "at-home" microdermabrasion devices / machines or ever used one? I keep seeing ads for one on the market that seems highly rated by consumers. Unfortunately, these contraptions retail at $100 and up. As a working class individual, I really want to know something is going to work before I spend a lot of $$ on it. I have recently been experiencing more acne as of late. It is the painful kind (pustules). The microdermabrasion device I'm looking at in particular - here on their official site - claims to help with a litany of concerns incl. fine lines, sun damage, blemishes, and more. I'd personally opt to get one from ebay that's out of the box or only used a couple of times. Still, the price is a bit up there even if "used."

Just didn't know if anyone had any experience with these things. Thanks!

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I began removing makeup/cleansing with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and rosehip oil applied to an organic cotton ball (in that order).

I used to work in a natural food and personal care store where this was sold. I had the rose infused witch hazel toner too, and remember how good it smelled. Witch hazel is a great natural astringent. I'm glad to see this brand and other cruelty-free ones now being sold in more mainstream, larger retail chains as well.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, interestingly, I can use CeraVe's facial sunscreen (zinc based), but not their AM facial moisturizer. No idea why.

My current bottle of CeraVe AM moisturizer has zinc as well as chemical sunscreens in it. They increased the zinc & decreased some of the chemical spf, but they’re still present. That might be the culprit— I can’t use it near my eyes for that reason. The ingredients are otherwise the same as their PM moisturizer, it looks like.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone know of an affordable [read: cheap] drugstore shampoo & conditioner line for thick, coarse hair that tends to frizz a bit? Anytime I find a nice product that makes my hair look/feel shiny wonderful, it ends up making my hair greasy faster (my skin & hair can be a bit on the oilier side anyway), & gives me an acne flare up on my face within a few days (& when my hair is longer, acne on my shoulders, sometimes).

Tresemme made my hair look/feel awesome, but I got horrible breakouts from that line. Pantene is out, too (super oily result/creates a lot of buildup). Any suggestions are welcome, as long as they’re low cost & I can find them easily. My hair isn’t color treated or anything like that. Pretty low maintenance these days. Just wash/condition & exist.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone know of an affordable [read: cheap] drugstore shampoo & conditioner line for thick, coarse hair that tends to frizz a bit? Anytime I find a nice product that makes my hair look/feel shiny wonderful, it ends up making my hair greasy faster (my skin & hair can be a bit on the oilier side anyway), & gives me an acne flare up on my face within a few days (& when my hair is longer, acne on my shoulders, sometimes).

Tresemme made my hair look/feel awesome, but I got horrible breakouts from that line. Pantene is out, too (super oily result/creates a lot of buildup). Any suggestions are welcome, as long as they’re low cost & I can find them easily. My hair isn’t color treated or anything like that. Pretty low maintenance these days. Just wash/condition & exist.

My hair is thick and wavy, somewhat prone to frizz when it's dried out. I used Pantene for years before switching to shampoo bars. It's not for everyone, but I got sick of needing to wash my hair every single day (I have really long hair, it takes forever to dry); the area around my face would get weighed down and feel a bit greasy if I didn't, and my scalp would start itching to be washed*. But if I used something more drying than Pantene, it'd just be frizzy and unmanageable and my scalp would itch just from dryness. With shampoo bars, I only need to wash every 2-4 days and it's not too dried out on the first day. I don't use conditioner, but I do alternate between (Trader Joe's) chamomile & green tea and watered down apple cider vinegar for rinses - both leave my scalp feeling better (no 'itching to be washed' for days) and my hair shinier and feeling smoother (I don't understand how, but they do - although the quality of acv makes a big difference, the cheapest isn't especially helpful). I was really surprised by how they're better detanglers than most conditioners.

I don't have patience for styling my hair - it's wavy/curly, gets all "fuck you" if I even try, I'm very much just a wash-and-go (and DON'T further antagonize) type, so I can't say whether they work well with any styling products or appliances. I put (Trader Joe's) argan oil on the ends after washing, and that's it. The shampoo bars I use seem to work perfectly for this. I can't even remember what normal shampoo costs, so I don't know how it compares - but one bar lasts about 2-3 months for me and mine cost about $9 each.

Shampoo bars really aren't for everyone. I'm just throwing it in the pot here for consideration.

*It's a feeling kind of like phantom hat syndrome.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Have you tried Hask? It's paraben and sulphate free, inexpensive and uses different oils in it. I found it at Costco first and later at Dollarama.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just sharing in case anyone else is having winter skin issues...

I’m on the highest concentration of Retin-A/tretinoin cream (0.1%), & unfortunately, even after the adjustment phase, every winter it still makes me peel in sheets like a reptile.. or.. like that corrupt judge on Thinner who the gypsy cursed:

featured_thinner.jpg

But— I started using this cream every night after my topical med absorbs... & no more lizard-peeling! :holy:

I’ve been a big fan of CeraVe’s bottled ‘lightweight’ PM face lotion, but it doesn’t moisturize enough in the winter, so I finally tried this. It’s so thick that I thought it might cause an acne breakout, but it hasn’t yet! I use it on my neck & chest, too. It’s not greasy, either. One tub has lasted me 6+ months, so it’s well worth the $17.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I’m on the highest concentration of Retin-A/tretinoin cream (0.1%), & unfortunately, even after the adjustment phase, every winter it still makes me peel in sheets like a reptile.. or.. like that corrupt judge on Thinner who the gypsy cursed:

featured_thinner.jpg

But— I started using this cream every night after my topical med absorbs... & no more lizard-peeling! :holy:

I’ve been a big fan of CeraVe’s bottled ‘lightweight’ PM face lotion, but it doesn’t moisturize enough in the winter, so I finally tried this. It’s so thick that I thought it might cause an acne breakout, but it hasn’t yet! I use it on my neck & chest, too. It’s not greasy, either. One tub has lasted me 6+ months, so it’s well worth the $17.

I love this stuff. I usually just only use it on my hands, since my job makes that skin super dry in particular, but in desperate situations I'll swathe it all over my face. I agree re their PM lightweight lotion - it's not good enough if your skin is really dry. And like you, I'm prone to breakouts, but this cream definitely has never caused them.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
s1747393-main-zoom.jpg

addicted to this expensive shampoo :cry:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love this body lotion.

943655-305210142541-fop.jpg.rendition.767.767.jpg

The Target brand version isn't quite as good, but is amazing for $2 a bottle. I've been practically bathing in it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this stuff. I usually just only use it on my hands, since my job makes that skin super dry in particular, but in desperate situations I'll swathe it all over my face. I agree re their PM lightweight lotion - it's not good enough if your skin is really dry. And like you, I'm prone to breakouts, but this cream definitely has never caused them.

Ah, I remember both a barista job as well as working a deli counter that dried my hands to split bloody sandpaper. Those days were no fun, especially in winter. I haven’t tried this on my hands (it’s so expensive, but really, I should start treating my hands better), but I bet it works wonders.

I’m also so glad they finally made a version with a pump lid. Just feels cleaner.

s1747393-main-zoom.jpg

addicted to this expensive shampoo :cry:

With a brand name like that, why isn’t Winnie The Pooh on this jar? I’m so disappointed.

I love this body lotion.

The Target brand version isn't quite as good, but is amazing for $2 a bottle. I've been practically bathing in it.

I started using this on my hands nightly when Covid hit, since I was cleaning a lot more/using harsher cleaners more often. It helped quite a bit. This & Suave Advanced Therapy Lotion are my favorite low-cost hand moisturizers that aren’t greasy. I keep it on my nightstand, to try to remind myself to apply it at bedtime.

Stay away from Vaseline’s green bottle of this stuff, though. The Aloe one. The scent is vile— I have no idea what they were going for, but it’s terrible.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

featured_thinner.jpg

I got some of this as my skin is intensely dry this winter and I have a humidifier on the furnace.

GUEST_8d8becbe-d041-4604-a8a3-9b9c10407041

This brand is always impressive.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have jergens cherry blossom and I loveee it

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My mom sent me some Fresh Sugar lip tint in honey, my favorite color. I just realized I haven't used lip tint or color for the past year or so. In fact my entire makeup routine is different. I've never paid more attention to my eyes and brows before - I like it.