User Tag List

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I have huge craterous open pores. They are very unsightly. Someone please help.

(My skin is very oily but also sensitive and dries out and reddens with harsh treatments )
    I've been using the oil cleansing method. I thought it was ridiculous at first but now I swear to it!
    I make it in a 50 ml bottle, and keep it in my shower, alongside my face towel.
    Half castor oil, half olive oil.
    Everyone I shower, I rub a good amount on my face while I let the sizing hit water run against the wall. Go about other shower relayed tasks, then soak the towers in hot water and place it on my face. Let it sit until it cools. You can do this again, it you want.

It's like my own little spa treatment. I love it.

I've noticed that not only is my face more balanced, but the pores have reduced dramatically, and blackheads are practically gone!

So I wanted to test the difference between Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution and GARNIER Micellar Cleansing Water since every review I'd read vouched for Bioderma on no other basis than it was known to be a better skincare brand (ugh, that's not how you make recommendations). I purchased both two weeks ago and was given a sample size of La Roche Posay Micellar Water. I found Bioderma and Garnier to be the same in every way aside from cost, both:

- stung my dry, sensitive skin
    - stung my dry, sensitive eyes
    - required the same quanity of product to remove makeup.

As cleansers, they're effective but not the expense of deteriorating my red, itchy skin. Ironically, although Bioderma is formulated for sensitive skin, La Roche Posay Micellar Water was the most gentle of the three even if beautypedia disagrees. I could see myself using Bioderma or Garnier as the weather heats up and my skin becomes oily but definitely not during the cooler temperatures when my skin is so dry, it starts flaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I've been using the oil cleansing method. I thought it was ridiculous at first but now I swear to it!
    I make it in a 50 ml bottle, and keep it in my shower, alongside my face towel.
    Half castor oil, half olive oil.
    Everyone I shower, I rub a good amount on my face while I let the sizing hit water run against the wall. Go about other shower relayed tasks, then soak the towers in hot water and place it on my face. Let it sit until it cools. You can do this again, it you want.

It's like my own little spa treatment. I love it.

I've noticed that not only is my face more balanced, but the pores have reduced dramatically, and blackheads are practically gone!
    How long did it take to see results? And how long have you done it for?

A lot of people rave about the oil cleansing method since they see improvements within a week; apparently their skin is much softer (which I can attest to) and smoother with comedones completely cleared. I've also read negative reviews on OCM, apparently it improves acne-prone skin only initally and temporarily; long-term treatment leads oily skin and worse forms of acne.

I did a lot of research into this, purchased safflower oil and patch-tested it. It's been five days and I haven't broken out (which is great) however, despite all the research, I'd completely forgotten that oils exacerbate my form of dermatitis. I limited the application to nose and jaw. I'm so disappointed that I'm gonna have to jump off this bandwagon, aside from the dry, irritated skin in certain areas, my nose and jaw are have never been softer (the blackheads aren't clearing very quickly, though) and I was really hoping I could apply it to my entire skin, unaffected.

[sigh]

Salicyclic acid it is.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Aleppo soap works wonders for my curls, no other product that I've ever tried gave me this result
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

6w7 > 4w3 > 1w2

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

Has anyone ever tried a dermaroller? I recently got one off of Amazon because I'm obsessed with anti-aging products and I'm a fan. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think my skin looks good following the initial few uses.

As well, does anyone use anti-aging products? I know the idea is to start early so I've been looking at preventative options.

Retired Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by allosaurus View Post
    As well, does anyone use anti-aging products? I know the idea is to start early so I've been looking at preventative options.
    How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I asked my dermatologist about anti-aging products, and she told me that I shouldn't touch them until I'm in my 30s (I'm 23). The best thing you can do in your twenties is use a good sunscreen every day. Overloading young skin with anti-aging treatments can cause breakouts.
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Has anyone ever tried a dermaroller? I recently got one off of Amazon because I'm obsessed with anti-aging products and I'm a fan. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I think my skin looks good following the initial few uses.

The dermaroller is the thing that makes tiny punctures, right? I don't know, I stick to using a Clarasonic, I think it's much more gentle on the skin. I wouldn't get into the anti-aging stuff if you are in your 20's. Stick with sunscreen containing products, moisturizing regularly and cleaning your skin right.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ

Johari | Nohari
    Likes Kas liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@senza tema

First, really sorry to hear that.. nothing's more painful than large open sores. For the ones that are open to air, keep them moist, put anti-bacterial cream on them and try to cover them up somehow even if it's with a moisture barrier.. keep them moist (scabs and stuff actually slow down healing) and clean and try not to touch them as best as you can.

It sounds like you're really reacting to something.. although, if you get these large cyst-like acne things in the first place, I really recommend going to see a doctor and getting something to help on that route. I had to finally break down and use Vitamin A again (script strength, tretinoin) because even though I wasn't touching my face often, washing twice a day, being good to my skin--nothing was keeping the painful bigger breakouts from happening once a month.. and they take weeks to heal. You can start out with a cheaper solution: the equate brand (walmart brand http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Ant....4-oz/12444643 ) of Neutrogena's Vitamin A cream... it's a much smaller concentration, but until you get to a doc, it's something... and I started out using this stuff until I worked my skin up to the Vitamin A... you can begin by treating the areas of your face that have not broken skin yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wixiw View Post
    A lot of people rave about the oil cleansing method since they see improvements within a week; apparently their skin is much softer (which I can attest to) and smoother with comedones completely cleared. I've also read negative reviews on OCM, apparently it improves acne-prone skin only initally and temporarily; long-term treatment leads oily skin and worse forms of acne.
    The latter was my experience with it. Temporarily it was awesome, then it just became one massive large break out. Removing all of the oil is EXTREMELY difficult in the cleansing stage when you have large acne-prone pores.. so when you put the moisturizing layer on (more oil), you're trapping that dirty oil into the pore and leaving it there time and time again. It took weeks to clear my face up from the tragedy. I had to really scrub my face to the point of irritation to get the oil off of it.

I think you can really just get the same benefits with some steam + a gentle cleanser. The closed, clean pore sensation is something I always get from some gentle steam before I cleanse. I picked up one of those cheap walmart brand facial steamers from a flea market, cleaned it out, and it works just fine to open my pores.

I DO still use oil on my face--but only as a make up remover. It works brilliant (any cheap oil will do, I use cooking oil sometimes) for water proof make ups and such, and I just wash my skin very thoroughly afterwards since I don't wear make up often enough to justify spending any amount of money on removing it.

Some people get fantastic results with it, but those who don't tend to REALLY regret trying.. and it is a very time consuming process either way in comparison to some warm water, cleanser, rinse.

As a side note, current black heads probably won't clear with oil or cleansing alone. Extraction (especially for deep ones) is really the only way to get them out because they're so dried and buried into the pore. Preventing them is really the key to things.

In your 20's you could definitely just enjoy a very light weight, low dose vitamin A cream every other night, use masks, take care of your skin around your eyes, and use lots of sunscreen. (Is that beat to death yet? haha) I carry a powdered sunscreen in my car in case I forget to put some on, and I get moisturizers with sunscreen in them as well.

I'd caution against a dermaroller ... Unless you're sanitizing it to spa-quality specs each and every time, using that thing to puncture your skin over and over is just asking for really nasty infections to happen. You really don't need to puncture your skin to deliver essential nutrients do it.. you can do it inwardly (with hydration, rest, and a diet that has good collagen and skin building factors in it) and topically just as well and safer at that. I put topical medicines on patients all the time for things like yeast infections and rashes... and trust me, the skin is good at absorbing things. It doesn't need much help.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Back on track

Updating on my hair status, I really think I have a winning combination here. I could use some things I've been lazy about purchasing and making, but overall:
    - Brush my hair before a shower, and don't get my hair wet but once a week.. The rest of the time I'm using HE's dry shampoo after working out and some heavy-duty moisturizer on the tips to make it smell good.
    - I wash my scalp once a week with Nizorcal dandruff shampoo, and wash the rest of my hair with cheap shampoo (tea tree tingle from TJ's in the summer and a French suave-style brand the rest of the year because I get them for free from my exchange)
    - Then I use a cleansing conditioner (Herbal Essence's Naked one) on my entire head and let it sit a minute
    - Rinse, and then apply a mixture of cheap lightweight conditioner (again, same brand, just the straight conditioner one.. or TJ's tea tree tingle conditioner, which ever one I get my hands on at the flea market) + some very heavy duty conditioner (my go-to brand Soultanicals's lemon head conditioner and leave-in treatment) and let it soak soak soak in while I do whatever it is I do in the shower.
    - Gently comb my hair with a wide comb and de-shed it while I rinse out the conditioner, by that point it is easy peasy to comb. I let it air dry after that.

Other than that, throughout the week I apply leave-in moisturizing from soultanical's and dry shampoo as needed. Hair's been growing long and somewhat strong, and not too many issues when I don't deviate from this. This particular dry shampoo/moisturizer routine also helps keep away static and frizz.

What did work and I'm just too lazy to do lately:
    - ACV spray overnight day 2 from washing on the scalp directly helps control both dry skin, itching, and dandruff. I had virtually zero dandruff when I used 100% ACV on my scalp once a week along side washing once a week. (Even if I wash more than once the dandruff does not go away)
    - A light weight anti-itch moisturizer (I'm using Curel's) the next morning gives it a 1-2 punch, and it helped settle the ACV smell too.
    - Spraying some of soultanical's detangling spray/kink drink on my hair before brushing it and whenever I think my hair feels dirty or my scalp dry.. that stuff really did help moisturize my scalp, which is the main source of my dandruff is just dry skin slough.

Update on my skin:
    - Still using the Tretinoin cream.. my skin breaks out still, but very tiny and small break outs, definitely manageable.. even big ones that threaten tend to go away before they really amount to everything.. but I am still using it once every other day vs daily because of the burning/redness/irritation/flaking. I use a low dose OTC one on the off days.
    - Still using microfiber cloths for exfoliation, that's still working really well. Been 2 years since starting that, and it has still been on par with how I felt with a special exfoliation machine or sponge. Turns out the cheap regular cleaning ones don't work, they have to be waffled like the bar-keep cloths to do real good. Daily exfoliation works best to keep break outs away.
    - I need a heavier weight moisturizer for times my skin is really dry from the vitamin A and I also have heaters drying out my skin in my room now. I used body lotion the other that won't clog pores so it was okay for the face, but I'd like something designed to be a bit more soothing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

Hi guys, thank you for the advice. I'm 24, so I should probably chill a bit about anti-aging or I'll start looking underage here. I use a vitamin A cream which I think works, but genetics are also a wonderful thing too.

On a side note, I just got my first Birch Box! I haven't opened it yet but I'm EXCITED. Anyone subscribe to any of this stuff? What are your guys' favorites?