User Tag List

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Static electricity is ruining my life.

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But I don't know how to deal with it. My hair is super fine and... the only other word I can think of to describe it is "floaty". It flies out in all directions at the least provocation. And in this cold, dry winter weather, it's completely out of control. Do you guys have any tips or product recommendations for taming static electricity? Specifically, any products that won't make fine hair look limp and greasy?
    Ditto on the humidifier. Also, a detangling spray would work for the short-term and immediate needs before you wash your hair. oil + water is the simplest solution for that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Grease lightening by Lush
    Anyone tried it? My sister, who suffers from awful acne said it was amazing.

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Ditto on the humidifier. Also, a detangling spray would work for the short-term and immediate needs before you wash your hair. oil + water is the simplest solution for that.
    I have a humidifier... somewhere. It doesn't normally occur to me to use it, unless I'm sick. But I'll definitely try it.

I use a detangling spray, as well as a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. And I don't wash my hair every day, to avoid drying it out. Nothing seems to make a difference. Except...

I just got this: Amazon.com : Cricket Static Free Fast Flo Vent Brush : Hair Brushes : Beauty

I got it on sale at Sally Beauty Supply, and I was fully prepared to be disappointed, but it works. I don't know how or why it works, but it frigging works. I just ran it through my static-y hair, and it tamed all the flyaways. I suspect sorcery of some kind, but I don't care. All I know is, I don't look like a Fraggle anymore, so I'm calling it a win.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

Cat Wench Array ReadingRainbows's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Grease lightening by Lush
    Anyone tried it? My sister, who suffers from awful acne said it was amazing.
    I have used many of lush's products and Grease Lightning by Lush is one of my absolute favorite products. I order it from the UK when I make big lush order once or twice a year. A little goes a long way and that stuff is magic. I also love Ocean Salt as an all over body scrub.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Static electricity is ruining my life.

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But I don't know how to deal with it. My hair is super fine and... the only other word I can think of to describe it is "floaty". It flies out in all directions at the least provocation. And in this cold, dry winter weather, it's completely out of control. Do you guys have any tips or product recommendations for taming static electricity? Specifically, any products that won't make fine hair look limp and greasy?
    Amazon.com: Static Guard Spray -- 5.5 oz.: Health & Personal Care

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Picked this up at Walgreens ($3). I shower immediately after bathing Cricket or after I get home from giving my mom's cats their antifungal baths; they splash me a lot w/their cooties-water (she lives like a ½hr drive away - I inadvertently gave 'tardkitty ringworm when stopping in for mail awhile back; Chloe has no symptoms but is basically a dustmop for spores, so she gets the bath too. Mother can't bend to bathe them since her spinal surgery, so despite her being a toxic person, I actually don't mind going there on weekends to do their once weekly bath. It needs to get done, & those kitties are family. She's up at the lake on wknds anyhow, so my exposure to her is minimal).

Aaanyway - I put this stuff on my skin, neck to toes, immediately after showering. Using it as a safeguard against getting reinfected w/ringworm since I basically have constant exposure to it, & my immune system is garbage from all the meds I've been on for past bacteria infections, inflammatory issues, etc.

This oil rocks, though. No sign of fungal infection on me, & it's kept my skin really soft after showering. Tea tree oil is pretty high up on the ingredients list; it's a natural antifungal. I'm not one to jump on the Natural Everything Bandwagon, but certain remedies do have at least some clinical backing. A mix of synthetic & natural products seem to work well for me.

I'd recommend this oil for anyone who ends up getting dry skin after showering, fungus or not. Despite it containing certain comedogenic oils, it hasn't broken me out at all, yet. 2oz bottle goes a really long way, too.

Ingredients:

Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil , Tea Tree Leaf Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia) , Safflower Seed Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius) , Rose Hips Fruit Oil (Rosa Canina) , Sweet Almond Oil (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) , Peanut Oil (Arachis Hypogaea) , BHT , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate) , Sunflower Seed Oil (Helianthus Annuus) , Chamomilla Extract (Recutita Matricaria) , Arnica Montana Flower Extract , Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus Officinalis) , Sage Leaf Extract (Salvia Officinalis) , Pinus Palustris Leaf Extract , Burdock Root Extract (Arctium Minus) , Lemon Peel Extract (Citrus Medica Limonum) , Ivy Extract (Hedera Helix) , Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract , Indian Cress Extract (Tropaeolum Majus) , White Nettle Flower Extract (Lamium Album) , Isopropyl Myristate , Fragrance , Phenoxyethanol , Methyl Paraben , Isopropylparaben , Isobutylparaben , Butylparaben , D&C Yellow #11 (CI 47000)
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Also liked this post

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Switched my night cream from Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream to Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion, PM.

The Neutrogena stuff is great, don't get me wrong. It's got quite a bit more retinol (vitamin A derivative - gold standard topical antiaging vitamin) than more expensive drugstore products. However, since I'm prescribed Retin-A (tretinoin cream, very potent topical vitamin A - prescribed to me for cystic acne but is also prescribed to people for photodamage/wrinkles), I don't really need to bother with a cream that's got vit. A as its main selling point. Also wasn't moisturizing enough to offset the peeling from Retin-A (increased from 0.05% to 0.1% - irritation is typical). The Cerave's cheaper, packed w/niacinamide & other cell-communicating ingredients, & has really helped w/the Retin-A irritation. It's got a nice, velvety feel that melts right in.

I'd still recommend the Neutrogena cream for anyone who's trying to keep up a good anti-aging skincare regimen, if they don't have access to prescription retinoids, but if retinoids are too irritating (even OTC retinol can irritate some people too much), the Cerave PM is a good option as a night cream. Niacinamide is a close contender in studies compared to the positive effects of topical retinoids. Their line has a cream specifically marketed for wrinkles, but it's got essentially the same ingredients as the cheaper PM one, & is sold in a jar, which is unhygienic. Their cleansers are kind of overpriced; better off sticking w/a gentle, cheap one like Cetaphil instead. The AM version of this moisturizer is pretty good, for those who can tolerate chemical sunscreens.

Ingredients:

Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20 (and), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@Lexicon I'm sure you've posted this before, but you've been super on-the-money with the suggestions..

(Useless background to Question: I've been using the Equate brand version of the Neutrogena Ret A lotion since you posted it, and it's been really great. I also use that other lotion in the PM (the C&C gel one) but I'm thinking I should switch to a stronger one for night time use because I'm finding myself using my mask 2-3 nights each week to keep the break outs down.. I used to only need it when I was at that totm to help kill the flare ups.. I think it's the more humid area I'm living in now.)

What cleanser do you use? Right now I'm just using a microfiber cloth to exfoliate and regular soap on my face...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default warning - this is gonna be long-winded.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    @Lexicon I'm sure you've posted this before, but you've been super on-the-money with the suggestions..

(Useless background to Question: I've been using the Equate brand version of the Neutrogena Ret A lotion since you posted it, and it's been really great. I also use that other lotion in the PM (the C&C gel one) but I'm thinking I should switch to a stronger one for night time use because I'm finding myself using my mask 2-3 nights each week to keep the break outs down.. I used to only need it when I was at that totm to help kill the flare ups.. I think it's the more humid area I'm living in now.)
    I think those two moisturizers you're currently using are ideal for night-time. What may help the breakouts is another moisturizer for the daytime that contains OTC acne medication, like 2% salicylic acid (another common acne treating ingredient in OTC topicals is benzoyl peroxide, but I always found this super harsh/unhelpful, & it discolored my towels. Always had better luck w/salicylic acid as the active ingredient, instead). I emphasize daytime use vs evening, because salicylic acid shouldn't be combined w/retinol products (though some products do combine them as an anti-wrinkle/anti-blemish gimmick, but that's all it is). Ahlpha-hydroxy (example: glycolic acid) & beta hydroxy acids (ex: salicylic acid) actually break down retinoids, which is counterproductive/wastes your money. Not all products containing 2% salicylic acid are going to be effective, though. They have to have a ph of 4 or lower to absorb properly, & shouldn't be in an alcohol vehicle, as that causes excessive drying/irritation of the skin, which in turn can increase oil production & contribute to more breakouts. Unfortunately, Neutrogena's [lower cost] sister company Clean & Clear's salicylic acid products are either the wrong ph, have too much alcohol, or concentrations below 2%, so they're essentially useless. The C&C gel moisturizer you're currently using is an excellent lightweight basic moisturizer, which is why I use it, however it doesn't contain any active ingredients specifically for acne. Just doesn't break people out.

Back when my acne was mild/moderate (usually flared during that totm), before I'd gotten on my beloved prescription acne meds (retin-a 0.1% cream, & aczone topicals together + spironolactone oral meds, 100mg 1x/day), I used this moisturizer in the mornings after washing my face, to keep acne at bay, and it worked really well for me, for many years.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena...fl-oz/10805073

I has a mattifying/oil absorbing effect, which is excellent when you live somewhere humid. Humidity was & still is the bane of my existence, as far as breakouts go. It never dried me out. There can be an initial tingling/burning sensation when you begin using it, but that's temporary/not harmful. You can even use it around the eyes, as BHA's like salicylic acid also have anti-aging benefits. It works as a topical exfoliant, & slows sebum production.

You'll notice there are "spot treatment" products available w/2% salicylic acid, but I always had better experiences with moisturizers containing that ingredient. An all-over moisturizer clears the current breakout & prevents new ones from forming there, & everywhere else, where the spot treatments just target the current issue.

Like any exfoliant, it's good to use along w/a sunscreen if you're out. This one is very lightweight/milky in texture - doesn't feel greasy or leave a white cast. You won't feel like you've got layers upon layers of goo on your face if you use this on top of the acne moisturizer above. I switched to a tinted sunscreen awhile back, but this one was really useful before I came across my current favorite. Just avoid using near the eyes, since it's a chemical sunscreen/those usually sting.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena...-3-oz/19423423

There are printable coupons for both Neutrogena as well as Clean & Clear products here:

Free Printable Coupons & Offers | HEALTHY ESSENTIALS®

What cleanser do you use? Right now I'm just using a microfiber cloth to exfoliate and regular soap on my face...
    Regular soaps tend to be too harsh on the face, stripping it of essential moisture, which can cause a spike in sebum production to compensate, which contributes to future clogged pores/acne flares. They can also contain ingredients that clog pores on the face.

I use this cleanser, morning & night w/warm water:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Biore-Comb...77-oz/19335279

Most Biore products are irritating/overpriced/contain pore-clogging waxes/ineffective - however, this one is super gentle, doesn't contain shitty ingredients, & cleans the skin effectively without stripping it. It was OK'd by my dermatologist (I harass her about everything I use). One pump does your whole face, & the bottle will last you 6+ months, in my experience. Well worth the $. You'll see a lot of facial cleansers out there that claim to fight acne - they may even contain salicylic acid -but they tend to contain needless irritants, & since you rinse off a cleanser, the salicylic acid isn't on your face long enough to do a damn thing. It's a marketing gimmick.

I like getting my money's worth, so I've saved some twist-on/popup caps from other bottles (like 3oz travel bottles, or the standard size bottles of rubbing alcohol) that fit on the Biore cleanser. When the product gets too low for the pump to function, I switch to the twist cap, & get at least a week's worth of cleanser out of it. Just have to remember not to accidentally throw out the twist caps.

Microfiber cloths are nice & gentle for exfoliation, but I try to stay away from cloths, sponges, etc, as they can harbor bacteria & other gross crap.

For mechanical exfoliation - 2x a week in the shower, I use this charcoal polishing mask (it's CVS brand, so it's sold exclusively there).

Took a photo - my shitty phone is just beside 'em to illustrate size

The directions say to apply to your whole face, then wait 5-7 min, and rub in using circular motions. I kinda modified my use of it. I tend to apply, wait one minute for the crystals to melt just a little, then gently rub into my face to exfoliate. I leave it on for 5 more min to let it absorb any crud in my skin (usually leave on while I shave my legs, etc, then rinse off when I'm done). So far, this is my favorite way to exfoliate. Your skin feels baby-soft when you rinse it off; there's a marked difference in texture. And, so long as you give it a good min or so before rubbing it in, there's no chance of over-exfoliating & hurting your skin, as the crystals will melt too soon for that to happen.

The clay mask beside it is excellent, too. Once or twice a week, I apply this when I get out of the shower, & allow it to dry while I moisturize the rest of my body. Each of these products is about $4 at CVS. They also carry trial size versions for a buck or two.

Last thing- depending on how bad the humidity is where you live, you may want to invest in a small dehumidifier (at least for your bedroom, since you spend at least 8hrs straight in there). Like I said, humidity is a huge contributor to my skin issues, I can't stand it. My window-mounted AC's compressor is too weak to remove the humidity in my room, so I got a mini-dehumidifier for $48 at Home Depot. It brought the relative humidity in my room from about 80 to 40-50. Anything above 50 tends to feel stuffy, & creates favorable conditions for dust mites, bacteria, mold & fungus proliferation. I'm actually super-frugal & hate spending money needlessly, especially in large amounts, but this was a great investment. My skin flareups decreased a lot with this addition, & I feel like I even sleep better. I leave it running pretty much 24/7. Hasn't increased the electric bill at all.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Perfect-H...WDH4/202261882

I'm a weirdo, so I have a cheap thermometer/hygrometer in my room as well, to monitor the humidity levels. I don't really even need it anymore, since that dehumidifier is so consistent.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-T...39HD/100659742

Actually (for real, now) one last thing - make sure to change/wash your sheets/pillowcases at least once a week, if you don't already, & give your cell phone a wipedown w/a cottonball & isopropyl alcohol once a week (I've gotta do mine- there's makeup caked in there on the photo, hah). These things hang on to oils/bacteria & transfer them back onto your face.

Hope some of this.. article.. haha.. helps you out. I've had skin issues for ages, & I became an info junkie on proper skincare over the years. I like sharing what I've picked up/confirmed w/my doctors, especially since there's so much misinformation out there, & garbage marketing ploys. Good luck!

Likes Codex, Pinker85, themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

@Lexicon I crown you as typologycentral's in house dermatologist!
    Likes EJCC, themightyfetus liked this post