• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
@ceecee Just wanted to rave about the CeraVe eye cream again! I can't stop touching my eyelids. So velvety.

Can you recommend anything for me in the way of a night-time moisturiser? Or any other products for my face that I could incorporate into a routine?

My skincare routine is basically non-existent. I've never really had issues with my skin—no breakouts, etc. At most, I get a little bit of post-viral eczema after getting over a cold (usually around my eyes), but that's about it.

I've been able to get away without even properly washing my face for a long time. Since moving to a new climate and hitting my mid-20s, I'm beginning to notice how the odd night of poor sleep or bad diet shows up on my face (usually as facial edema or appearing a bit lifeless). I want to start a routine, but don't really know where to start. I'm assuming my skin type is "dry."

I'm so happy you are having great results with the eye cream. I don't know how many great products I've come across simply by reading forums. It's how I found my current skin care too. I think focusing on cleansing, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen is really all you need to start. As climate or seasons change you can change products, I use different things depending on time of year. The brand depends on you. One drugstore line that's good for any skin type is Simple

Simple Skincare | Skincare Products from Simple

This was the first brand I ever used that carried micellar water. It's what I still use in the AM to clean my face. The toner is very mild and the Water Boost line might be good for your dry skin. Because the line is for sensitive skin, it's less likely that anything will break you out and that can happen even if you've never had an issue.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I saw this while scrolling about skin care.

Type I: Pale white skin – always burns, never tans
Type II: White skin – Burns easily, tans minimally
Type III: White skin – Burns minimally, tans easily
Type IV: Light brown or olive skin – Burns minimally, tans easily
Type V: Brown skin – Rarely burns, tans easily and darkly
Type VI: Dark brown or black skin – Rarely burns, always tans, deeply pigmented

I haven't been rated by a doctor, but I know I'm either Type V or VI. I want to enter the make up scene but I don't want that gross token black feeling I got when looking through the eye color pairing chart where only white people were modeling or considered. My skin has been pretty good, is sunscreen a realistic thing I need to worry about?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I haven't been rated by a doctor, but I know I'm either Type V or VI. I want to enter the make up scene but I don't want that gross token black feeling I got when looking through the eye color pairing chart where only white people were modeling or considered. My skin has been pretty good, is sunscreen a realistic thing I need to worry about?

Please feel free to do your own research on the subject but to get you started....

Sunscreen FAQs | American Academy of Dermatology

PocketDerm - These 3 photos will convince you to wear sunscreen every day

And the Vitamin D thing, yeah.....

10 Sunscreen Myths That Make Dermatologists Cringe | Reader's Digest

Also...

Many blacks are unaware of a skin cancer that primarily affects dark-skinned people - The Washington Post

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

definitely still wear sunscreen! even if you're at a reduced risk for sun damage, it certainly can't hurt. but i'd be careful about which formula you're buying, because certain sunscreens will leave a white cast on darker skin tones.

as far as makeup stuff, i'd look around youtube for some makeup tutorials and just find someone who looks as similar to you as possible so you can get a sense of what would look good for your coloring. i even do that as a pale white girl, it's almost like being able to try something on. the market is so saturated that you can get close to your coloring, style, and type of personality you'd like to watch.

YouTube
i find her videos very entertaining, and she focuses a lot on makeup brands being inclusive with the range of shades they cover. and puts them on blast if they don't.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
where has this thread been all of my life??

i find building a beauty routine to be a lot of trial and error and the occasional snag of greatness for my skin.

some favorites i was using over the winter that will stay in rotation, yay desert living, are:

May Coop Raw Sauce

- Peach & Lily

^ I use this every day before moisturizer. Super light feeling and my skin feels so refreshed afterwards.

and

Mizon Enjoy Fresh On Time - Revital Lime Mask

- Peach & Lily

I do this 2-3x a week. Great price. It smells light and fresh with the lime. I leave on a lot longer than the directions because I can use all of the moisture that I can get.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I’m allergic to the CeraVe SPF 30. :( Was real psyched about it after reading about it here and in other threads - but I guess my face can only handle regular CeraVe lotion.

Might try using it on top of a layer of regular CeraVe - as if it’s a sunscreen and not a lotion - to see if that helps.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think I’m allergic to the CeraVe SPF 30. :( Was real psyched about it after reading about it here and in other threads - but I guess my face can only handle regular CeraVe lotion.

Might try using it on top of a layer of regular CeraVe - as if it’s a sunscreen and not a lotion - to see if that helps.

It may be the niacinamide. Same reason I had to stop using Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50.

Mole

Permabanned
My sister said she never thought she would be taking fashion advice from her brother, and all I did was recommend A Touch of Silver by Provoke, an ultra violet pigment applied by shampoo.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone here have experience with mattifying moisturizer? Does it really take away shine? Is there anything else that can effectively take away shine? (I've tried several powders here and there, and for whatever reason the only thing that doesn't look bizarre on me is black eyeliner. All other make-up is a spectacular fail. So I'm looking to try an untinted lotion.)

Also: [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], (and/or anyone else who knows their way around tretinoin creme) - is there any reason cocoa butter, shea butter, or hemp seed oil would interfere with tretinoin creme? Lexicon has listed some things recently to avoid using at the same time, and I have no idea if they're the kinds of things that exist in these ingredients. (I ask because I want to make a lotion bar to use under my eyes with those ingredients and a bit of bees wax).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was putting moisturizer on my face an hour ago and I realized I wanted to 'thank' this thread. :laugh:

Based on skimming through this thread months ago, it occurred to me that for decades I'd been putting moisturizer with sunscreen in it (spf 15) not only in the morning, but pre-bed too. Because, I guess I just didn't think about it being a big deal, and I also recall thinking years ago... why are there 'night time moisturizers'? I thought it was a big marketing scam. A moisturizer is a moisturizer. (And yeah, there is some of that that occurs, but also, there are very different products out there, which I now realize).

So I'd been putting Purpose or Neutrogena all-purpose moisturizer with spf 15 on my face before bed every night since I was like 15. :shock:

But reading this thread, it occurred to me that it was utterly stupid to be doing that, as how could that possibly be beneficial to my skin to seal it up like that at night? Anyway I started using a CereVe night cream about 3 months ago, and also use a generic CereVe moisturizing lotion on my neck/face on days when I'm not going outside, and my skin quality and texture has improved dramatically. :yes: So -- thanks all. :smile:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
anyone have any product recommendations that will stop my forehead and nose from getting shiny?! even putting powder on after my foundation, i still get shiny a couple hours after i leave the house. help please!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
anyone have any product recommendations that will stop my forehead and nose from getting shiny?! even putting powder on after my foundation, i still get shiny a couple hours after i leave the house. help please!

(Same happens to me and I eagerly await any responses. I can't prevent it but to get rid of it at work I find paper towels you find in retail establishments absorbs it almost as well as those little blue oil absorption sheets you can buy)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

(Same happens to me and I eagerly await any responses. I can't prevent it but to get rid of it at work I find paper towels you find in retail establishments absorbs it almost as well as those little blue oil absorption sheets you can buy)

You could always try primers made for oily or T-zone skin. I think Smashbox makes the best primers but there are a lot out there.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've been cleaning my face/removing makeup with nothing but cotton balls (organic cuz I'm a crunchy psycho) moistened with a quality alcohol free witch hazel (with rose water in it cuz I like the scent), and then jojoba oil on top of that.

I went from clusters of very tiny pimples on my forehead and cheeks to literally one or two small barely noticeable pimples in at least 6 months.

Highly recommend.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I recently learned that the best waterproof mascara for my sensitive eyes is also the most ridiculous waterproof mascara. It comes in a container that (in the mini size) looks like a sex toy, and has the words "BAD GAL BANG" written across the side.

12/10 lol.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an extremely sensitive skin and get an eczema everytime I use a cheap perfumed product. That means I really need to be careful with what I buy and I finally found products that really fit my skin. I use La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra for daily hydration of the face and Bioderma Sébium for night when I get a pimple or my skin gets too oily. I have also been using pure coconut oil for the body and sometimes for the hair as well if it's really dry.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ

First. Your avatar is everything. Second, what are you using for skin care? The problem maybe your skin is dehydrated and producing too much oil to makeup for the fact that it has a thirst that needs to be quenched.

In all seriousness, do you tone, moisturize, and prime?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

First. Your avatar is everything. Second, what are you using for skin care? The problem maybe your skin is dehydrated and producing too much oil to makeup for the fact that it has a thirst that needs to be quenched.

I was actually gonna say this.

I think if you tried the method I mentioned above, you might have some decent results. Jojoba oil is the oil most similar to the natural oils in skin, so it's readily absorbed. I use Thayer's Witch Hazel on a cotton ball, topped with a bit of jojoba oil (this brand: Amazon.com : Viva Naturals Organic Jojoba Oil; USDA Certified Organic, 100% Pure & Cold-Pressed, Luscious & Natural Moisturizer for Hair, Skin & Nails, 4 oz : Beauty ). Follow up with either extra oil or a gentle moisturizer and I think after awhile, you'll naturally produce less oil.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I do all of this and I'm still greasier than soggy french fries. :mad: