Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default long girly post.

So, I've found a relatively cheap makeup setup for more formal events that doesn't seem to aggravate my skin.

I have acne-prone, oily skin, but I'm also using Retin-A, so I peel intermittently, as well. Usually tough to balance out.

Went to a friend's company party last weekend, had to dress up, so I wanted slightly heavier makeup than my usual tinted moisturizer.

First tried to balance out my skin & give it a good deep clean before using heavy makeup. Cleansed with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cleanser. The AHA/BHA in it aren't enough to fight wrinkles or blemishes, but it's a gentle, effective cleanser, regardless.

Used a charcoal & black sugar polishing mask after that - gently removed any flaky skin caused by the Retin-A. Skin feels super smooth after, not tight or dry at all.

Applied a clay mask after rinsing the charcoal stuff off. I used to really like Queen Helene masks, but they take awhile to dry, and tend to dry out my skin. This one seems to clean well without irritation or drying me out. The clay itself dries in under ten min, & rinses easily.

Toner - used Thayer's Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel w/Aloe Vera

To keep oil at bay, I applied Clean & Clear Oil-Absorbing Treatment. 2% BHA & rice proteins. Super gentle. It's been discontinued, sadly. Best acne-fighting mattifying cream I've ever used.

Topped off with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream (night). Didn't bother w/a sunscreen since this was an evening event.

On to the actual makeup - all drugstore stuff.. I've used Revlon Colorstay foundation in the past. It's got full coverage & really does STAY. Feels like a mask, though, & I felt like I could never fully clean the stuff off. It was useful as a makeup for theatre, didn't melt under the hot stage lights, etc.

Anyway, Revlon came out with another kind of Colorstay foundation - Colorstay Whipped. It's like a light, airy mousse. Has a lot of lightweight silicones in it, so you don't even need a primer. Full coverage without looking fake. Stayed on all night, & seemed to help balance my oily & flaky areas perfectly.

BEFORE I applied that^ stuff, I applied a green concealer, Maybelline brand, to my red scars. Very lightly/gently. Thanks to @cm81, @Codex, & @ceecee for the tips on this.

Applied my foundation, & touched up my scars a little bit more with an ivory Dermablend concealer stick

Added a little blush, Physician's Formula brand. I really like the shape of the brush for a quick, very light application. This stuff is very sheer, which gives a more natural contoured effect.

I set all of that with Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder (Translucent)

For the eyes, I used this sample of liquid shadow (Blush brand, "slate" shade) I got from a Dermstore.com order. The shimmer is minimal, & I was able to blend it into an extremely light, smoky effect.

Tried out an eyeliner that comes with a brush- that was new for me (usually use pencils). Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (black). I really liked how easily I could create a neat, thin line, with added little flicks at the corners in one go.

Before putting on a heavier-than-usual (& waterproof, which I usually avoid) mascara, I used a lash serum.

The mascara I used was another free sample I got when I ordered stuff from Dermstore.com. Guerlain Maxi Lash. Pretty dramatic result; it almost looked like I'd put on a set of false lashes.

For the eyebrows (I have some sparse spots due to scarring from trauma from a bad waxing, serious infection, & subsequent scar revision surgeries in/around that area)
    I just used a 99-cent Wet n' Wild brand light brown pencil. It goes on super light, compared to more expensive pencils. I find it doesn't create that 'drawn on' look most others do.

For lips, mine are kinda big, and dark - and since I like heavier eye makeup, I keep my lips neutral to avoid looking clowny. I just applied this lightly tinted lip balm (yet another free sample from Dermstore.com). It goes on very sheer, & actually lightens my lip color, slightly. Kinda balances out everything. Made with petrolatum, beeswax, olive oil, soybean oil & sweet almond oil. Not sticky or excessively shiny looking.

I think this setup will be my go-to routine for formal events. Much too heavy/expensive/time consuming for daily stuff, but really great for formal stuff, or auditions. Haven't broken out at all since that one-time use, either, so that's a good sign. Returned the Revlon products (drugstore allows it) since I won't use those often enough for it to be worth the money. Kinda rented it, basically.

Anyway, yeah.. if you have fair, combination, acne-prone skin.. this stuff is wonderful.

/end
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes rebeccasofia, Codex liked this post

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccasofia View Post
    I havethe Obagi Retin A product, but find it much too harsh for my skin to use daily. Has anyone used this successfully? How did you do it?
    Retinoids are really harsh, you have to build up to nightly use.

Wait at least 15-20min after cleansing to apply it. Residual water on your skin/in your pores can increase irritation.

Apply over moisturizer every other night, then apply under moisturizer every other night after a couple months.
    As irritation subsides, slowly work your way up to every night applications. Still wait 15-20 min after washing, though.

Retin-A is definitely worth the irritation phase, though. Don't give up on it.

Aloe is pretty nice to soothe the irritation, btw. A lot of the common drugstore aloe gels have alcohols in them, which would only increase the irritation.

I use this brand [below] of organic aloe gel (it's more like a slightly thick liquid, since it has no additives). There are no preservatives in it, so you have to refrigerate it once you open it. I apply it w/ a cotton round after washing my face if the Retin-A is causing flaking/redness/burning. The chilliness adds to the soothing sensation, imo.

I usually get it here w/promo codes: 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel by Aubrey Organics - Buy 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel 4 Gel at vitamin shoppe

Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher when you use Retin-A.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

Likes Codex liked this post

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Can anyone recommend a good under-eye concealer for very fair, cool skin tones? I have perpetual dark circles under my eyes, and every concealer I've tried ends up looking unnaturally yellow on my skin.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good under-eye concealer for very fair, cool skin tones? I have perpetual dark circles under my eyes, and every concealer I've tried ends up looking unnaturally yellow on my skin.
    I, too was a little skeptical of using yellow on circles but Ben Nye Banana Powder works amazingly and it works with any skin tone.

Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder | CRC Makeup
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    So, I've found a relatively cheap makeup setup for more formal events that doesn't seem to aggravate my skin.

I have acne-prone, oily skin, but I'm also using Retin-A, so I peel intermittently, as well. Usually tough to balance out.

Went to a friend's company party last weekend, had to dress up, so I wanted slightly heavier makeup than my usual tinted moisturizer.

First tried to balance out my skin & give it a good deep clean before using heavy makeup. Cleansed with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cleanser. The AHA/BHA in it aren't enough to fight wrinkles or blemishes, but it's a gentle, effective cleanser, regardless.

Used a charcoal & black sugar polishing mask after that - gently removed any flaky skin caused by the Retin-A. Skin feels super smooth after, not tight or dry at all.

Applied a clay mask after rinsing the charcoal stuff off. I used to really like Queen Helene masks, but they take awhile to dry, and tend to dry out my skin. This one seems to clean well without irritation or drying me out. The clay itself dries in under ten min, & rinses easily.

Toner - used Thayer's Alcohol-Free Unscented Witch Hazel w/Aloe Vera

To keep oil at bay, I applied Clean & Clear Oil-Absorbing Treatment. 2% BHA & rice proteins. Super gentle. It's been discontinued, sadly. Best acne-fighting mattifying cream I've ever used.

Topped off with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream (night). Didn't bother w/a sunscreen since this was an evening event.

On to the actual makeup - all drugstore stuff.. I've used Revlon Colorstay foundation in the past. It's got full coverage & really does STAY. Feels like a mask, though, & I felt like I could never fully clean the stuff off. It was useful as a makeup for theatre, didn't melt under the hot stage lights, etc.

Anyway, Revlon came out with another kind of Colorstay foundation - Colorstay Whipped. It's like a light, airy mousse. Has a lot of lightweight silicones in it, so you don't even need a primer. Full coverage without looking fake. Stayed on all night, & seemed to help balance my oily & flaky areas perfectly.

BEFORE I applied that^ stuff, I applied a green concealer, Maybelline brand, to my red scars. Very lightly/gently. Thanks to @cm81, @Codex, & @ceecee for the tips on this.

Applied my foundation, & touched up my scars a little bit more with an ivory Dermablend concealer stick

Added a little blush, Physician's Formula brand. I really like the shape of the brush for a quick, very light application. This stuff is very sheer, which gives a more natural contoured effect.

I set all of that with Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder (Translucent)

For the eyes, I used this sample of liquid shadow (Blush brand, "slate" shade) I got from a Dermstore.com order. The shimmer is minimal, & I was able to blend it into an extremely light, smoky effect.

Tried out an eyeliner that comes with a brush- that was new for me (usually use pencils). Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (black). I really liked how easily I could create a neat, thin line, with added little flicks at the corners in one go.

Before putting on a heavier-than-usual (& waterproof, which I usually avoid) mascara, I used a lash serum.

The mascara I used was another free sample I got when I ordered stuff from Dermstore.com. Guerlain Maxi Lash. Pretty dramatic result; it almost looked like I'd put on a set of false lashes.

For the eyebrows (I have some sparse spots due to scarring from trauma from a bad waxing, serious infection, & subsequent scar revision surgeries in/around that area)
    I just used a 99-cent Wet n' Wild brand light brown pencil. It goes on super light, compared to more expensive pencils. I find it doesn't create that 'drawn on' look most others do.

For lips, mine are kinda big, and dark - and since I like heavier eye makeup, I keep my lips neutral to avoid looking clowny. I just applied this lightly tinted lip balm (yet another free sample from Dermstore.com). It goes on very sheer, & actually lightens my lip color, slightly. Kinda balances out everything. Made with petrolatum, beeswax, olive oil, soybean oil & sweet almond oil. Not sticky or excessively shiny looking.

I think this setup will be my go-to routine for formal events. Much too heavy/expensive/time consuming for daily stuff, but really great for formal stuff, or auditions. Haven't broken out at all since that one-time use, either, so that's a good sign. Returned the Revlon products (drugstore allows it) since I won't use those often enough for it to be worth the money. Kinda rented it, basically.

Anyway, yeah.. if you have fair, combination, acne-prone skin.. this stuff is wonderful.

/end
    Holy, Moses, woman, by the time you're done washing your face, I'm dressed and out the door!

(I forgot what it was like to be a girl!)

*sniff sniff*
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cm81 View Post
    Holy, Moses, woman, by the time you're done washing your face, I'm dressed and out the door!

(I forgot what it was like to be a girl!)

*sniff sniff*
    Usually I don't do all that.. I just wanted to make sure my skin was extra clean before using a heavy makeup.. pretty paranoid about breakouts.
    Gonna be 30 and it still happens from time to time.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Usually I don't do all that.. I just wanted to make sure my skin was extra clean before using a heavy makeup.. pretty paranoid about breakouts.
    Gonna be 30 and it still happens from time to time.
    :/ Im with you there.. except it happens on the daily for me still. I'm still interested in checking out that lotion you keep linking for your pm routine, the neutrogena one. Rex has me all bananas about expensive face washes now but I still use witch hazel and like it as a toner.. I keep thinking maybe I'll start using retin-a masks on my face again since my break outs are so consistent. (Toner on my face first to cleanse it a bit, putting on a thin layer for 10-20 minutes and then washing my face clean.) But nothing I've done has gotten rid of black heads. Nothing.

I did order these on a whim through amazon, and they're a little pricey for, essentially saline disposable wipes, but I have used these for everything so far to include washing my face:

Amazon.com: WaterWipes Travel Pack Value Box, 10 Count, (Pack of 24): Health & Personal Care

My biggest problem with my face is it's so finicky and whiny that I frequently give up for a while and just let it be a monster and then I try again slowly and surely. If I have wipes near my bed, I at least make an effort to clean my face and neck no matter what.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Thanks for sharing.. if I get some jangle in my pocket I might look into this. I have a cleanser my face likes--but gets immune to after a couple months, and I have to switch to something else.. and even then, it doesn't do it for me.. and all moisturizers and lotions have made my skin an oily mess to the point trying them freaks me out despite all the 'omg you haaave to moisturize' stuff. The only things my skin has truly liked is ACV and witch hazel, and rubbing actual green tea bags on it, and zinc sulphur masks.
    So their apparently doing a basic five for problem skin starter kit for $87 now. Honestly, if you're really interested, I'd just call them and see if you could get a sample pack that you could try for free for a week or two. I was using cheap stuff for the longest time and would bounce from product to product trying to find something that worked. I'm glad this does, cause like, yeah, major bummer if it hadn't hahahaha. -_-

Also, bonus product I enjoy is one I actually heard about from Miss @Lexicon. She told me to get Aquafor after an eyebrow waxing appt gone bad, and mentioned as an aside that it makes for pretty awesome lip balm as well. About two years later I have easily five tubes of the stuff tucked away in various places around my house and purse. I don't know how I got so many. They're like tribbles or something and just breed if you leave them alone for long enough, spawning wonderfully hydrating, moisture behbehs. It's pretty awesome.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    So their apparently doing a basic five for problem skin starter kit for $87 now. Honestly, if you're really interested, I'd just call them and see if you could get a sample pack that you could try for free for a week or two. I was using cheap stuff for the longest time and would bounce from product to product trying to find something that worked. I'm glad this does, cause like, yeah, major bummer if it hadn't hahahaha. -_-

Also, bonus product I enjoy is one I actually heard about from Miss Lexicon. She told me to get Aquafor after an eyebrow waxing appt gone bad, and mentioned as an aside that it makes for pretty awesome lip balm as well. About two years later I have easily five tubes of the stuff tucked away in various places around my house and purse. I don't know how I got so many. They're like tribbles or something and just breed if you leave them alone for long enough, spawning wonderfully hydrating, moisture behbehs. It's pretty awesome.
    Yeah I saw that on their website.. I was thinking maybe sometime in January I'd stop by a nordstrom and see if there's any samples or stuff I could use at a counter or something to see how my face reacts before I start loading up on purchases.

In the meanwhile, I decided I'd try a Lexicon suggestion too. (Aquaphor btw. It rocks, and it keeps well in a car in a little twist tin without leaking everywhere in the summer like a certain chap stick I used to know.) I bought a neutrogena healthy skin anti-wrinkle cream.. >.> Actually that's a lie, I bought the walmart version.. I'm going to try it out and see. Right now I'm using none moisturizers on my face.. and I know I should.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Default Rejuvenique RJV10KIT Facial Toning Mask Kit

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes kyuuei liked this post