Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Hmm. Thick skin doesn't sound like an attribute for some reason. Unless it's a man's callused hands.
    A man's hands... and arms *sigh*
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Green concealer stick. Supposed to neutralize redness. Never used it before. Heard good things, though. Hoping to minimize some redness from my recent surgery, just for the night.

Does it go on before or after foundation?
    Any other tips on this stuff?

Leaving at 5:30pm/Eastern.
    Thx.
    @Codex or anyone else who knows anything about makeup application. Brain fails me atm for names.
    The makeup artists I know swear by it; works, and yes you are supposed to use it under foundation(if you use it at all) lest you are going for that jolly green look.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Likes Codex liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cm81 View Post
    A man's hands... and arms *sigh*
    manhandling past
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Beautiful avatar....

EDIT: the man hands have been removed

"There's a magic inside,

MBTI
    INTJ

Green concealer stick. Supposed to neutralize redness. Never used it before. Heard good things, though. Hoping to minimize some redness from my recent surgery, just for the night.

Thx.
    @Codex or anyone else who knows anything about makeup application. Brain fails me atm for names.
    Definitely neutralizes redness, pretty much completely. It is supposed to go under foundation, I think.

My experience is minimal regarding this. I don't like how ashy and unnatural it looks, however, i would probably say that for red scars, it would be useful.
    I really don't like having to put on more foundation on top, to cover up my concealer.
    I suggest going to sephora and trying it out in person, just to see how it works Don't commit to a makeup item, esp one so risky, before trying it on in person

Best of luck to you, Lexicon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I don't like how ashy and unnatural it looks
    Why I rarely use foundations at all.

"There's a magic inside,

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Thx.
    Under foundation. It works well - green for redness and the more yellow for dark spots or circles. I had a Physicians Formula concealer that had both. It was really handy, I should see if they still sell it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Wind-up Rex here for Arcona beauty products.

I literally cannot say enough good things about Arcona's stuff. I have acne prone, combination skin and had done everything up to including accutane to manage my skin issues. I heard about Arcona, got setup with a consultation, and have been using their basic five regiment for about two months now. Within one week my skin was the clearest its ever been. After two weeks most of the dark spots, lines and imperfections were gone. By the end of the month the products were clearing up issues I didn't even know I had haha. I'm absolutely obsessed. It's admittedly a little pricey (intro regiment costs about $250 altogether), but my god is it worth it. Two months in and Im living on that Beyonce,"I woke up like this" tip.

Check out their basic five, but also look into the tableau rasa spot corrector, hydrating serum, and youth serum for extra glowy smooth skin goodness.
    Likes Codex, cm81, senza tema liked this post

I havethe Obagi Retin A product, but find it much too harsh for my skin to use daily. Has anyone used this successfully? How did you do it?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So buzzfeed's super reliable stuff put out a video and I kind of want to try it. It might free up my routine for more flavorful toothpastes vs super serious frowny-faced ones. Combined with this article from rawfoodsos on vitamin K:

For Vegans | Raw Food SOS

The idea is, to whiten your teeth, do the following for 2 weeks and it'll help out just as much as expensive white strips and it's far cheaper. I've done half of these things (baking soda in my toothpaste, hydrogen peroxide gargles) already and can vouch for them so I thought I'd post them here for anyone curious to try:

The regimen:
    - Hydrogen Peroxide - A decent amount, gargle/swish for 2 minutes in the evening.
    - Baking soda - Add some of this on top of your toothpaste each time you brush. (most of your teeth being clean is the actual mechanical scrubbing you do.. you can forego toothpaste altogether if you use baking soda and a pro toothbrush/elbow grease just about.)
    - Strawberries - Mash and brush for 2 minutes everyday, possibly after lunch.

They claimed it did just as good as the teeth whitening strips + mouthwash + toothpaste. I think I'll experiment for myself. I experimented with activated charcoal a while back, and I can attest to that, it is valid. It is also impossibly messy, getting everywhere in the sink and making your toothbrush look like Hades scratched his ass with it and so you need a secret second toothbrush... I'm too lazy to use it on the daily, which is what you need to make it work. But it DOES work, and it's cheap.

Except, I'm also going to add 2 things: Vitamin K-2 (with MK4 or 7 in the label) supplement for hopefully helping with my teeth as I fear they are weakening.. and cheap coconut oil as a mouth swish instead of my current pre-brush rinse. But.. later. XD

Also, ACV update: still going strong on that. Tea Tree Tingle shampoo left on the scalp for a while, more frequent washing and good massage (2x a week vs 1x a week, and water rinses 2x a week instead of none times a week), and ACV undiluted directly on the scalp completely prevents itch. When I stop/slack, it comes back, when I do it regularly it stays away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Wind-up Rex here for Arcona beauty products.

I literally cannot say enough good things about Arcona's stuff. I have acne prone, combination skin and had done everything up to including accutane to manage my skin issues. I heard about Arcona, got setup with a consultation, and have been using their basic five regiment for about two months now. Within one week my skin was the clearest its ever been. After two weeks most of the dark spots, lines and imperfections were gone. By the end of the month the products were clearing up issues I didn't even know I had haha. I'm absolutely obsessed. It's admittedly a little pricey (intro regiment costs about $250 altogether), but my god is it worth it. Two months in and Im living on that Beyonce,"I woke up like this" tip.

Check out their basic five, but also look into the tableau rasa spot corrector, hydrating serum, and youth serum for extra glowy smooth skin goodness.
    Oh man talk about a price tag... I'm always looking for systems that might help manage my acne better. It seems like as the month goes on, nothing helps, and by the time it heals it's time for round 2.. or 10.. or whatever month it is.

Thanks for sharing.. if I get some jangle in my pocket I might look into this. I have a cleanser my face likes--but gets immune to after a couple months, and I have to switch to something else.. and even then, it doesn't do it for me.. and all moisturizers and lotions have made my skin an oily mess to the point trying them freaks me out despite all the 'omg you haaave to moisturize' stuff. The only things my skin has truly liked is ACV and witch hazel, and rubbing actual green tea bags on it, and zinc sulphur masks.

The tea toner bar particularly caught my eye.. Green tea has been showing in studies (though mixed results of course) to be ranking in a decent up-there marker with Retin-A products.. though you do have to drink like 5 cups a day. XD

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccasofia View Post
    I havethe Obagi Retin A product, but find it much too harsh for my skin to use daily. Has anyone used this successfully? How did you do it?
    Some tips the doc told me on Retin A:
    - Use it BEFORE you cleanse. Like, tone your face to get stuff off of it.. Put the Retin-A on, leave for 20 minutes to a couple hours, and then wash your face and moisturize as usual. Some benefits but not as harsh.
    - The other method frequently recommended is on-top moisturizer. Put moisturizer on top, let it sink in good, and then apply the Retin-A product, or mix it with more moisturizer and then apply it.
    - Skip the Retin-A completely and use it every other day vs every day.

Everyone's different. For me it worked--but I also want a solution more permanent than constantly using doctor scripts. I have some samples I get from the office occasionally, I still play with them when my face gets completely out of whack from trying something new and it failing. (Like my recent rosehip oil adventure.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes rebeccasofia liked this post