Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    anyone ever used coal tar soap?

my skin has been so itchy lately. i do have eczema and overall very sensitive skin, but the areas i shave have been SO itchy the past couple months. i looked up the problem and coal tar soap was recommended.

i'm thinking of trying a natural health goods store to see if they have any. does it stink? i'm a little offput by the name and appearance.
    I use coal tar shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema) and it's been the only thing other than crazy expensive prescription cortisone shampoo that has helped. The smell isn't awesome, but it washes out pretty well. I definitely don't smell like it after I shower.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Update on ACV for scalp: It smells too strong and lasts too long for me to use it daily for 2 weeks at a time. But the days I do treat my scalp with it, jeeze it calms the itching down so so much. I might just suffer through the smell at this rate. My scalp feels great after.

I plan on sticking some tea tree essential oil in it to try and soften the smell some.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I use coal tar shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema) and it's been the only thing other than crazy expensive prescription cortisone shampoo that has helped. The smell isn't awesome, but it washes out pretty well. I definitely don't smell like it after I shower.
    what brand do you use?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Update on ACV for scalp: It smells too strong and lasts too long for me to use it daily for 2 weeks at a time. But the days I do treat my scalp with it, jeeze it calms the itching down so so much. I might just suffer through the smell at this rate. My scalp feels great after.

I plan on sticking some tea tree essential oil in it to try and soften the smell some.

what brand do you use?
    It was Neutrogena. I think developed an immunity to it or something though because it's not working well anymore. Got a prescription for an anti-fungal shampoo that I'm going to try tomorrow.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    It was Neutrogena. I think developed an immunity to it or something though because it's not working well anymore. Got a prescription for an anti-fungal shampoo that I'm going to try tomorrow.
    Yeah that is usual--you get 2-3 different shampoos, and rotate them throughout the year (like one every month or so) to keep your scalp guessing. I got so tired of that though. I still haven't found a great shampoo, but I think shampoo bars once I find a good scalp-soothing-and-moisturizing one are going to be the way I go. Plus I've heard some bad things about coal tar, it doesn't have good ratings on the health-promotion thing and if you're all envirohippy it's not a good one either.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Yeah that is usual--you get 2-3 different shampoos, and rotate them throughout the year (like one every month or so) to keep your scalp guessing. I got so tired of that though. I still haven't found a great shampoo, but I think shampoo bars once I find a good scalp-soothing-and-moisturizing one are going to be the way I go. Plus I've heard some bad things about coal tar, it doesn't have good ratings on the health-promotion thing and if you're all envirohippy it's not a good one either.
    Yeah... Boo. Mine got so out of control I used the anti-fungal this morning. Nothing makes me feel sexy like using the words "anti-fungal shampoo."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Has anyone had problems with this

I've gotten so many little bumps all over my face. I can't tell if it's the new organic sunscreen i started using at the same time as this...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Things I've been trying lately:

The pure ACV directly sprayed onto my scalp. That has been really effective, and anytime my scalp starts to get itchy I spray it down for a few hours before I take a shower.

Pumpkin seed oil for the OCM method. Not sure if I like this or not, it takes my skin time to adjust to a new routine.. but it is lightly hydrating, and while I HATE the green tint on my skin in and of itself (so I might try a different oil if this doesn't work and take it back to trader joes, they have awesome refund policies) I DO like that the green tint means I can tell when I've washed all of the oil off my face for sure, and a light light layer doesn't make my skin green looking. We'll see how my skin handles it. It is also winter time, so my skin is dryer than usual, which could be aiding my blemishes too.

However, microfiber cloths for washing my face is definitely superior. You can use them daily, they're very exfoliating but not irritating, and more useful than a facial sponge or regular wash cloth. They aren't harsh if you just want a light clean, and super scrubby if you don't. And they're stupid cheap now a days. I ended up using large bar cloths so I could use different sections for OCM in the morning on my face, and then I use it as a body washcloth in the evening for my shower. It makes OCM go a lot faster too.

Trader Joes has a tea tree tingle shampoo I bought. And I love it. It's lathery, but no SLS stuff in it, very tingly cooling on the scalp, and has just a very light pepperminty smell to it. I'm trying out the whole bottle before I make a determination, but I might have found a good shampoo for this beast that is my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Has anyone had problems with this

I've gotten so many little bumps all over my face. I can't tell if it's the new organic sunscreen i started using at the same time as this...
    I found my skin didn't like or dislike clinique. I got free stuff from them a lot via army girls, and I really never noticed any difference. No clear radiant skin. Nothing more than clean and clear from walmart did. Just sayin'.

The only way to know though is to quit both, and then add one back again once it's clear. If it didn't flare up, then it was the other most likely.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

However, microfiber cloths for washing my face is definitely superior. You can use them daily, they're very exfoliating but not irritating, and more useful than a facial sponge or regular wash cloth. They aren't harsh if you just want a light clean, and super scrubby if you don't. And they're stupid cheap now a days. I ended up using large bar cloths so I could use different sections for OCM in the morning on my face, and then I use it as a body washcloth in the evening for my shower. It makes OCM go a lot faster too.
    For some reason, my face started feeling really oily this summer. I figured by winter, this wouldn't be an issue but it has been. A friend of mine uses Salux Japanese cloths and she suggested I try them. They're much longer than a washcloth so you can use them on your back too. They exfoliate gently and my face isn't nearly as oily as it was. They run about $6 on Amazon.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    For some reason, my face started feeling really oily this summer. I figured by winter, this wouldn't be an issue but it has been. A friend of mine uses Salux Japanese cloths and she suggested I try them. They're much longer than a washcloth so you can use them on your back too. They exfoliate gently and my face isn't nearly as oily as it was. They run about $6 on Amazon.
    Aren't those way too rough for the face? I use them for my body, but it hurts to even use on my neck, let alone my face.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    Aren't those way too rough for the face? I use them for my body, but it hurts to even use on my neck, let alone my face.
    I haven't seen them in person, they look like they have a scrubby quality to them. Microfiber is gonna be the way to go if you have sensitive skin that hates scrubby stuff. (I used to not, but with age my skin's getting more princessy and now even old wash cloths are like oowww.)