Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I swear by Nutrogena facial cleansing products now, because I have sensitive combination skin and still break out. I use the old-fashioned Nutrogena clear glycerine acne-bar when I'm low on cash, but I swear by the Nutrogena redness relieving wash in the green bottle...it is actually THE BEST stuff to wash my face in, because I'm prone to redness on my cheeks from skin sensitivity or rosacea or something.
    I'll have to give that one a try! I haven't tried that many facial cleansers but Neutrogena has definitely been the best I've tried. My usual is the orange bottle oil free acne wash stuff since it doesn't dry out my face like most acne products/cleansers do, and it also seems to work for acne since I always start to break out when I run out of it.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I use Mac stuff pretty exclusive for foundation/skin and blush, but the price usually means I look for cheaper alternatives for other types of makeup.
    my favourite drugstore brands are elf (like their brushes a lot too) and nyx (eyeshadows + brushes are great)

the maybelline dream mousse blushes are a great alternative to stila's rouge pots
    i can't say enough good things about the dream mousse, it goes on so well.

and i loveeee coastal scent 88 palettes... you can get them online
    for like $18--88 colours! and you can even do your own custom palettes

i'd recommend investing in a good eye primer to make shadows (any
    brand) stick and last through out the day. like @OrangeAppled mentioned,
    the urban decay primer potion is really good.

i really like revlon colorstay foundations too.
    they have a quite nice range, from mineral to active and regular.

i also really like sephora season kits, they're nicely priced and comes with
    a bunch of different mini sized products that'll last for a few months, and
    so you can try out a different array of brands and see what works best
    with you. plus there's all these great tutorials on youtube showing how to
    use each of the products in the kits, so it's a nice way to explore and expand.

the latest one i got is the limited edition summer collection. $39 only!

I'm still playing around with other areas, but I like Urban Decay for my eyeliner. However, it's a smudgy style (not a precise line).
    yes! urban decay 24/7 pencils last longer on my
    waterline aside from gel liners.

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Wow, thank you for the advice. Yes, I like how Urban Decay 24/7 lingers... the price is a little high (I think in the $18-20 range for a full-length eye pencil) but it typically lasts throughout the day despite being a smudge-style.

I have trouble with my eye shadow for whatever reason. It just never seems to blend the way it should. not sure what to do about it. I do have an Elf palette, an Ulta pallete, and a few other mix-and-matches of single colors (like browns), but I'm typically not satisfied. I don't know why it is not laying down smoothly and haven't been able to resolve it.

Also... not fond of my brow liners. I used a pencil for a while. Then I've been using powder + brown liner brush. I think the powder's too dark, for one. My brows don't seem to shape easily. Any ideas on that?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Wow, thank you for the advice. Yes, I like how Urban Decay 24/7 lingers... the price is a little high (I think in the $18-20 range for a full-length eye pencil) but it typically lasts throughout the day despite being a smudge-style.
    try nyx eyeliners! they're a bit creamier, and glides on
    'slipperier' (does that make sense?) but it lasts quite well,
    but i think they're harder to take off than the urban decays,
    i'm very impatient, so i notice i tug on my eye more when
    i'm taking it off

the jumbo pencils are really great to do easy lazy makeup,
    pale eye shadow, and just nice thick eyeliner for a pop of
    colour and all set.

I have trouble with my eye shadow for whatever reason. It just never seems to blend the way it should. not sure what to do about it. I do have an Elf palette, an Ulta pallete, and a few other mix-and-matches of single colors (like browns), but I'm typically not satisfied. I don't know why it is not laying down smoothly and haven't been able to resolve it.
    have you tried a primer (like the urban decay primer potion)? a
    cheaper alternative to a primer is actually nyx's jumbo pencils,
    just apply it all over your lids up to the crease. use sparingly,
    it's quite pigmented!

what kind of applicators are you using to put on the shadows.
    pat the shadows on. build the colours. and always dust your
    blending brush with a pale nude colour (or the colour you used
    as the all over base) so it softens the darker colours and not
    get it muddy.

jumbo pencil in milk. use a light colour.

Also... not fond of my brow liners. I used a pencil for a while. Then I've been using powder + brown liner brush. I think the powder's too dark, for one. My brows don't seem to shape easily. Any ideas on that?
    the biggest problems with brows i think is finding the right colour,
    i have black eyebrows and they're very sparse. i used to use brown
    shadows to match my brows .. i mean it makes sense, but i always
    end up like frida kahlo.

then i tried going liiiiiiight. and it worked out perfectly.
    i have the 'nude on nude' palette from bobbi brown and i use
    'cement' (second from the left in palette and the swatch). and
    when i apply it, it just fills it in perfectly. and i just use an
    el cheapo bodyshop brow brush (i like the stiff bristles). i
    rarely define it with a pencil, because it looks too harsh on me.
    i like a more natural softer brow.

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Still reading your comments and absorbing them (plus I'm at work, so can't look at the pics here).... but for short answers:

I don't use eyeshadow primer, I never even knew anything about it. I do have a primer for my foundation, which I sometimes do use.

I do try to use a light base, especially under my brow on the bone to lighten things up, then darker on the lid and darkest on the upper corners and "winged out" to the sides of my head and up.

I typically use an eyeshadow brush (sephora) + my fingertips to blend.

I think I need to go lighter on the brow color. My hair is darker and my brows ARE brown and a mix of darker and lighter hairs, but they're kind of sparse and just don't shape easily. They seem to be flatter, and/or have more of a point rather than curve in the middle. (Yes, I'm a pumpkin. ) Even plucking to shape, I have trouble getting a good arc in them. Sometimes I just want to shave them off and then paste on fake ones, lol...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Jen,

Work with your natural arch. Some people don't have the high, sharp, Cruella arch, and that's okay. You may want to let them grow in a little bit and then have them threaded--the ladies at the eyebrow threading places seem to be really good at finding your natural arch/shape. Then you can just keep the stray hairs plucked until next time.

I agree about the light powder--I use an Anastasia eyebrow kit in blonde, even though my eyebrows are naturally darker than my hair. I also have the Maybelline Define-a-Brow pencil in Light Brown. It's supposed to be similar to a MAC product that everyone loves, but I can't remember the name of it.
    Something Witty

Senior Member Array Nomenclature's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

• CVS facial sponges - Hygienic, simple, effective.
    • ZIRH CLEAN face wash - I borrowed it from my brother and it. exfoliates. EVERYTHING. I've had cystic acne since I was 11 and it's saying a lot that I think this stuff is the shizznit.
    • Milani Infinite Eyeliner - By far the best liquid eyeliner I ever tried. Truly waterproof. Stays put all day, no smudging or flaking or anything.

• Everyday Minerals eyeshadow in Wild Flowers - Perfect contouring powder
    • Coastal Scents Ultramarine Blue BC - Just looking at the color makes me vomit rainbows

My favorite gurus are Promise Phan, Petrilude, and Kandee Johnson, for sure.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

You're fired. Lol. Array Antimony's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

For my eyebrows, I love filling them in with a light powder. You almost always want to fill them in with a color lighter than what they actually are. Unless you are going really dramatic. I use a medium brown for my eyebrows, sometimes a light brown.

I used to like my eyebrows on the more thin side, but no longer! Thicker eyebrows are more in fashion. I think they work as an accessory to your face, almost. I also like the slanty look.

@Jennifer, what sort of eyebrow shape are you going for?

I really want to experiment with more dramatic makeup. I liked the idea of applying makeup wet for a dramatic look. I've heard of the technique, but haven't yet applied it.

I did the 'V' monologue, from V for Vendetta, and did my makeup much like that. I can't wait for Autumn to roll around. To wear nice pea coats, scarves, and maybe makeup like that. Maybe. It is a fun idea to flirt with. Just not eyebrows like that.

This, I've been wanting forever. Not really sure why. Maybe because I love things Asian. I think the red is beautiful. Speaking of which...

If you see me in red lipstick, the chances are I am wearing the lovely matte red lipstick from Revlon. I believe that it is In the Red, but I am not certain. Not sure where it is hiding right now. I also have Fire and Ice, partly because I love bright red lipstick, and partly because I love Robert Frost's poem Fire and Ice. I can also appreciate coral/slightly orange lipsticks.

For body products, I've been using Bath and Body Works products for ages. I really, really love the Black Current Vanilla scent. I have some massage oil that I like to use in my baths.

Aromatherapy = amazing.

And I lovee this smell. Actually, I think it is mostly tranquil mint that I use. I also enjoy The Body Shop products. I like a nice body butter. I use, currently, the coconut scent as often as I can...which come to think of it, it has been awhile. Anyway, I find it is especially great for places like your legs, which don't typically break out. They make my skin a little shiny. I like to smooth some on, especially if I haven't had time to shave adequately.

I always get told how soft my legs are, so something is working. That is all for now. I will continue to watch this thread. I really, really wish I could afford some of the stuff from Sephora. Well, I can afford some, but not much.

These products: easy price, good results (for me).
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

also after trying many many lipbalms for my dry lips, this is my all-time favourite:

I like it because it's not waxy or greasy like most lipbalms (including the classic blistex), makes my lips feel perfect, has sunscreen, and can be shiny or natural depending how much you put on. And it's cheap, especially on sale (picked up two today since they were on for half price - 3$!).

Odd question: can you use (high-quality obviously) paint brushes as makeup brushes? I have tons of paint brushes and no makeup brushes, plus paint brushes are way cheaper and look the same.
    -end of thread-

I love the way this smells, and it works nicely too, but it doesn't have that minty feeling like burt's bees.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.