Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    CoverGirl LashBlash Fusion Mascara (in Very Black) is the best mascara I've ever tried. Every time I've switched brands I've come back to this one.
    I've recently tried a now discontinued CoverGirl mascara - their Exact Eyelights mascara in Vivid Ruby - and I'm stunned at how good it is. I need a waterproof mascara that wears like iron, because I'm in my makeup at least 12 hours a day and I tear up easily, and it passes every test. I feel like a fool now after all the money I've spent over the years on Lancome.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Mascara: I just use whatever waterproof thing is around and cheap (usually a variant of Maybelline Great Lash)

Eyeliner: SEPHORA COLLECTION Colorful Waterproof Eyeliner. HUGE fan of the tip (makes it easy to do the sort of cat-eye thing I'm into, which looks kinda like this but more subtle), and of the fact that it is really, really waterproof

Lip color: I use whatever. My more recent successful experiment has been Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stain + Balm -- I'd never used a lip stain before and I'm a huge fan of the concept, though I wish I had a better color

Lotion: I have combination skin and a lifelong history of eczema, so I try to use the most doctor-approved stuff I can get. I hate the stuff I've been using (Vanicream) b/c it's too light and my skin's too dry for it... will probably switch back to either Cetaphil or Eucerin soon.

Hair products: DevaCurl -- shampoo (DevaCurl No-Poo), conditioner (One Condition), and gel (Light Defining Gel). A few months into starting with the DevaCurl line, I'm still bothered by the lack of lather, and the fact that I'm not supposed to shampoo all of my hair. Makes me feel like I haven't completely cleaned it. But on the other hand, my hair looks really healthy and non-greasy, so clearly I'm doing it right. Also I've noticed that, while I used to shed a lot, now I lose like 1/3 or 1/4 of the hair that I used to when I showered/brushed.

Miscellaneous: THIS THING IS AMAZING FOR CURLY HAIR. I noticed a frizz difference after the very first time I used it.

Now to scour this thread for recommendations...
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

The only mascara I've used the past 5 years.
    /makeup snob

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I hate perfumes/colognes, personally. They all smell like drain-cleaner to me. Are you sure you need one? Your wife may prefer your natural scent a lot (assuming you're clean/wear at least a deodorant of some kind).
    haha, agreed!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post

The only mascara I've used the past 5 years.
    /makeup snob
    haha same here. I am a pretty big makeup snob too. Most times I wear makeup, I probably use over 75 dollars worth in product. I tried elf $2 lipstick and it tasted and felt like crayon. It was GROSS.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I hate perfumes/colognes, personally. They all smell like drain-cleaner to me. Are you sure you need one? Your wife may prefer your natural scent a lot (assuming you're clean/wear at least a deodorant of some kind).
    Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    haha, agreed!

I also associate it with people who wear too much of it -- which I see as incredibly inconsiderate, especially to people with asthma and/or people who are prone to fainting from perfume fumes.

(Relevant story, lol)
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default Magnesium Oil

I never thought I would be posting to the Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products thread, but I do have a health product to tell you about.

It is called Magnesium Oil and can be bought in a health food shop or vitamin store.

Magnesium Oil is applied externally, and there is no danger of over dosing.

There are at least 100 reactions in our body that require magnesium, but many of us are deficient in magnesium.

Magnesium Oil is readily absorbed through the skin and has an almost immediate effect.

It has the effect on me like the jump starter on car - it really gets me going.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

I also associate it with people who wear too much of it -- which I see as incredibly inconsiderate, especially to people with asthma and/or people who are prone to fainting from perfume fumes.)
    +1, I work with a lot of teens-early 20's with questionable tastes who are forever spraying Victoria Secret Room fresheners body mists around my workplace. Everyday I drown in the scent of fake apple, peach and vanilla. The stuff is vile, there is reason it only costs $7.

Anyway my all time favourite facial product is rosehip oil. After using it everyday for about 15yrs my skin is in much better condition for my age than it should be, especially considering all the sun exposure I got when I was younger. its not the kind of thing you notice after a few uses, its the kind of thing you notice after a few years and the hands of time seem to have left your skin largely untouched. Given that I work at altitude where 1 year ages most skin 2, I'm pretty grateful for this item.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Ladies, what's a good, subtle scent you'd recommend that my wife might enjoy on me? She hates anything that smells, in her words, "too chemically"

And please don't say patchouli.
    I think if she is saying 'too chemically' what she is meaning is something loaded with aldehydes, which comprise the top notes of most perfumes and hit you in the face the instant they are sprayed. You could look for a scent that doesn't have citrus top notes, or you could look for one of the many attars (oil based perfumes) as they rarely have the silage or aldehydes of alcohol perfumes. Citrus and fruit aldehydes are responsible for most 'chemical' complaints as they are frequently used to scent household detergents. Some notes that smell great in the lower range of scent frequencies include....

Tonka
    Tobacco
    Sandalwood
    Vetiver
    Oakmoss
    Cedar
    Oud
    Ylang Ylang

Top notes which smell great but not chemically include

Basil
    Absynthe
    Thyme
    Galbanum

Look for a fougere or chypre which is likely to smell green, fresh and deep rather than an aquatic. Also perfumery since the 80's has been obssessed with creating chemical 'tricks', a feeling of airness, luminescence, gourmand notes and the like. If you try scents formulated prior to this you will find them to have a heavier character more like natural essences.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hair products: DevaCurl -- shampoo (DevaCurl No-Poo), conditioner (One Condition), and gel (Light Defining Gel). A few months into starting with the DevaCurl line, I'm still bothered by the lack of lather, and the fact that I'm not supposed to shampoo all of my hair. Makes me feel like I haven't completely cleaned it. But on the other hand, my hair looks really healthy and non-greasy, so clearly I'm doing it right. Also I've noticed that, while I used to shed a lot, now I lose like 1/3 or 1/4 of the hair that I used to when I showered/brushed.
    You really like it though overall? When your hair is dry, does it feel clean enough? Also, does the smell of the product mesh well and last? Devacurl is something I've been wanting to try, but I just lack the motivation to go buy a whole system that requires more than 30 seconds of brushing my hair and washing my hair that I currently do.. Maybe when I'm not in school anymore. I wish Sephora did demonstrations of stuff like this so that I could see it in my hair without buying it all automatically.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge