Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    there's two types of brushes, synthetic hairs and natural hairs.
    synthetic is usually cheaper and picks up more product so you'll
    need a light light touch and is more ideal for liquid/creams
    ie lipstick/concealer. natural hairs hold products better, and is
    usually preferred for powders ie eyeshadows/loose powder/
    blush/compact powder.
    I'm kinda confused about this distinction. It seems like something that picks up a lot of product would also hold onto it? But essentially liquid = synthetic and powder=natural? That I can remember.

And it seems like shape matters more than brand, other than for how long the brush lasts before it falls apart? And beyond synthetic vs natural division, does it matter what exactly the brushes are made of? Different kinds of fur or whatever?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

"Picks up a lot of product" - does not absorb the product -- therefore releases a lot of product. Like if you scrape paint off of a palette with a palette knife. You've picked up a lot of product -- it doesn't stick to the palette knife, it gets deposited onto the canvas. Or think of trying to cut a pat of butter off of a stick -- you don't want it to stay on your knife, you want to put it down cleanly. Then you spread it out on warm toast. You're doing sort of the same thing with foundation.

Natural bristles that hold a lot of product are more like a sponge that absorbs, then releases as you put pressure on it. This is good because you don't want powder flying all over the place, so the bristles gather up the powder and then release it gradually as you brush your face (or eyelid or whatever).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    For skincare, I recommend going to a dermatologist who has an esthetician on site. The benefit of this is that you can have someone who is highly trained to look at your skin and tell you what you need, plus they do medical facials which are more clarifying to the skin than facials given outside of a Dr's office. They have access to all sorts of variations of medical grade skincare products which have been approved by the FDA vs. over the counter grade products that are sold in stores which have not been. Believe it or not, medical grade skincare products are not only purer and more potent, but sometimes less expensive or comparable in price because you are not paying for the packaging and hype, plus you only have to use a tiny bit daily because it's more concentrated. You don't have to get a facial or see the doctor if you want to buy the products though. You just visit the office and ask for them. If it's something extremely potent they will probably explain it to you or instruct/caution you.

Here are the two lines that I currently use, but I am thinking of changing to all natural skincare soon.

Mostly these:
    http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx

And sunscreen from here:
    http://revisionskincare.com/
    Can you guys for real go to a derm anytime you want? In Canada (at least my province), you only can go to one for serious skin condition if nyou are referred for it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    "Picks up a lot of product" - does not absorb the product -- therefore releases a lot of product. Like if you scrape paint off of a palette with a palette knife. You've picked up a lot of product -- it doesn't stick to the palette knife, it gets deposited onto the canvas. Or think of trying to cut a pat of butter off of a stick -- you don't want it to stay on your knife, you want to put it down cleanly. Then you spread it out on warm toast. You're doing sort of the same thing with foundation.

Natural bristles that hold a lot of product are more like a sponge that absorbs, then releases as you put pressure on it. This is good because you don't want powder flying all over the place, so the bristles gather up the powder and then release it gradually as you brush your face (or eyelid or whatever).
    Ah, that makes sense! So do I want something kind of flat for foundation?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yes. Liquid foundation brushes are not fluffy.
    http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/...ush/index.tmpl

We can go to a real derm here any time we want, depends on your insurance whether or not you need a referral (I don't). I had to wait 3 months for the appointment, though. The good ones are booked solid around here!

No moss growing on me Array Giggly's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Can you guys for real go to a derm anytime you want? In Canada (at least my province), you only can go to one for serious skin condition if nyou are referred for it.
    No, it's mostly the same here unless you have a really good/expensive health insurance plan. Most people have to pay for it out of pocket otherwise when it's not a serious skin condition. If you want the skincare products I mentioned though, you only need to walk in to the office and ask to buy them at the front desk. They will sell them to you without an appointment. I think there are also online retailers on their website.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

Oh, that makes sense, thanks!
    -end of thread-

figsfiggyfigs

The colours are powerful, and true to the appearance. They look just like they are advertised. They last extremely long(without feeling cakey, like it's cracking or "smudging off", that even after I had washed my face, there is still a tint of colour that lasts till the next morning.
    Very long lasting, very colourful, one application makes it VERY worth it. I just put a dab on my bottom lip and spread it around with my finger; I like the effect to be minimal.

It was so good, my mother went out and got one too.

There is "pearly" and "matte" colour choices.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd been wondering about those lipsticks, YWIR! I think I'll pick one up now.
    Something Witty

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

You might have seen this by now, it's gone viral, but I thought it would be interesting to toss in here. I was kind of amazed at how bad her acne actually was/is, compared to how she can cover it enough to land modeling jobs.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8"]Covering Acne[/YOUTUBE]

I feel kind of fortunate that my skin is so good and I don't have to deal with this. (I have more trouble with my brows and eyeshadow.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft