• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ

I adore Monistat chafing gel as a primer. I used to spend ~40 dollars on Benefit Porefessional, which is pretty much the same thing with a little tint, 1/4 the amount, and 7x the price!

I only use Monistat now.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I adore Monistat chafing gel as a primer. I used to spend ~40 dollars on Benefit Porefessional, which is pretty much the same thing with a little tint, 1/4 the amount, and 7x the price!

I only use Monistat now.

:yesss: I use a tinted moisturizer vs foundation, so I don't really need a primer (it just feels too heavy) - but I'm prescribed Retin-A cream for acne- a side effect of it is temporary peeling/irritation. I've found applying the Monistat chafe relief gel over the Retin-A (+ a night cream) before bed seems to reduce a lot of that peeling. It's breathable, too, so, no concerns with it breaking me out. Hopefully the manufacturer never catches wind of how versatile this stuff is. They'd probably jack up the price.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I'm now in a job where I HAVE to wear makeup as part of the "brand image".

It's bizarre to go from not wearing any to having to wear it every time I go to work. I mean, I LOVE makeup, but I'm just so gosh darn lazy normally to wear it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I just got done watching this lady do her thing, and I think I'm going to give it a try. There's two main things missing from my total hair-care-ish routine right now and that's shampoo that I love and am not scared to use whenever I want.. and something to make my scalp stop itching and be all dry and flaky. Moisturizing it helps, but if I moisturize it everyday I get build up, have to wash, and then it dries it all out again. I like ACV rinses and use them occasionally with mint tea.. so I'm thinking maybe some herb-infused ACV in my hair trying this girl's technique out to see if it'll help?

Also, my acne has been pretty well controlled lately with the use of 2 masks on a daily basis instead of 1-2x a week. Zinc and sulphur mask in the evening, and after that's dry and done, microfiber cloth on my face to scrub it, and then a honey mask, literally just cheap honey, for about an hour or 4.. and rinse that off. I've been using witch hazel before I do the rest of it all. We'll see how it does all month long though.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm fascinated by how subtly (and boldly) makeup can change the way you look, but I'm far too lazy to bother with anything that takes longer than 5 minutes or requires touchup later in the day!
(I also have a tendency to forget that I have eye makeup on, and reflexively rub my eyes... oh no)

effective, comfortable, and easy to use: my key guidelines for selecting beauty products.
I generally don't use mascara because I wear glasses and spend several hours each week in microbio and chem labs. Too much of a liability.
I have light/neutral toned combination skin, partial monolids and short (but not sparse) eyelashes. My eyelid shape has made it pretty difficult to find flattering makeup ideas, since neither monolid nor double lid looks work for me..

Skincare
Glow Tonic by Pixi - this is the only 'optional' skincare product I use. It's had an incredible effect on reducing acne and improving complexion overall.
Aside from some small blemishes I can now pretty much do away with foundation and concealer. I swear by it!

Makeup
I'm a huge fan of the Pixi brand as most of their products suit my skin type very well and cater to a natural look. Pixi is more expensive than drugstore brands but I have found the quality to be well worth the price.

Eyeliner: Endless Silky Eye Pen by Pixi
These pens don't make the sharpest lines but they're vibrant enough to be used as eyeliners, and most importantly, they're easy to use and don't budge once dry (silicone-based). They're not entirely opaque but can be blended, built up, layered, or even used as a primer.. I also experimented with liquid and gel liners in the past but found that my eyelid shape and difficulty of use made them poor choices for me.

Eyeshadow: Lid Last Shadow Pen by Pixi and Color Tattoo by Maybelline
The Lid Last pens are my daily go-to. They also stay decently well throughout the day and hold up through accidental eye rubbing! :D I just wish it came in a white color so I could use it as a highlighter as well.
I use Color Tattoo when I'm feeling fancier, it's a lot more annoying to apply but gives me sharper lines and contrast. The consistency varies between pots. I have Audacious Asphalt, Barely Branded and Too Cool. AA and TC feel somewhat 'dry' and a bit crumbly while BB is creamy and easy to apply.

I also mess around with powder/pigment eyeshadow for color and contour purposes but generally can't be bothered, especially if I have lab or expect to have a long day.

lue

This charcoal mask has been a decent exfoliator for my face once/twice a week. Best used in the shower.
The brand is kinda gimmicky, but the product itself is good. It's not 'all natural' - but the chemical additives are fairly limited.

l526730b98dc9c.jpg

https://www.freemanbeauty.com/product/charcoal-black-sugar-facial-polishing-mask

I've used a few sample sized activated charcoal cleansers, and while they haven't irritated my skin or anything, I see no remarkable difference in my skin beyond what I get from cleansers containing salicyclic acid instead. That charcoal mask is definitely a favorite in terms of scrubs, though. It is rather coarse, so a gentle hand is necessary. Makes my skin really soft afterward. Sunscreen's even more important if you're using a strong exfoliant, though, so it's good to keep that in mind. Sunscreens containing titanium dioxide & zinc oxide minerals (natural physical barriers) are good for sensitive skinned people & those who are trying to limit chemical products.

*tips hat*

grazie.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I feel somewhat like Patrick Bateman minus the psycho tendencies.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don't tell me you use concealer.
Makeup is the only thing left for me to become a true metrosexual, but I don't like makeup so I'll never truly be one.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Makeup is the only thing left for me to become a true metrosexual, but I don't like makeup so I'll never truly be one.

'm the total opposite at heart :(
I wish with all my heart I could just use a single bar of soap for all my daily needs. I literally fantasize about being able to use like... two bottles of stuff for all of my needs. I'd probably do just that if it weren't for acne too. :cry:

Calliope

Enneagram
9w1
'm the total opposite at heart :(
I wish with all my heart I could just use a single bar of soap for all my daily needs. I literally fantasize about being able to use like... two bottles of stuff for all of my needs. I'd probably do just that if it weren't for acne too. :cry:

Have you tried any medication for acne? I'm on doxycycline to help clear up my skin... added bonus is now I can't get malaria.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Have you tried any medication for acne? I'm on doxycycline to help clear up my skin... added bonus is now I can't get malaria.

I was on doxy all through my trip to Africa, and I always had adverse reactions to it, which I generally fixed by going to sleep after taking it... but overall, I'd rather do something daily to fix it than take antibiotics constantly. I'm not really sold on the idea of taking antibiotics for weaker cases of acne like I have. If I was cystic I'd be on meds for sure.

Calliope

Enneagram
9w1
I was on doxy all through my trip to Africa, and I always had adverse reactions to it, which I generally fixed by going to sleep after taking it... but overall, I'd rather do something daily to fix it than take antibiotics constantly. I'm not really sold on the idea of taking antibiotics for weaker cases of acne like I have. If I was cystic I'd be on meds for sure.

Hormonal birth control also helps with the hormonal side of acne. I dunno if your moral beliefs would prevent you from taking it but it's always an option.
I would definitely do that but circumstances make me do otherwise.
Sorry if I'm not being helpful, just kinda throwing out some ideas.

On a different note:
I have fine and thick hair. I absolutely love it but I can never wear it down because it tangles so easily and ends up a flat mess at the end of the day (messy but with no nice volume), it also frizzes terrible.
I use coconut oil once a week to help with softness and such but it doesn't remedy any of my problems. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of hair product but I'm willing to try new things
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have fine and thick hair. I absolutely love it but I can never wear it down because it tangles so easily and ends up a flat mess at the end of the day (messy but with no nice volume), it also frizzes terrible.
I use coconut oil once a week to help with softness and such but it doesn't remedy any of my problems. Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of hair product but I'm wil
Any suggestions?

i frizz like crazy.. i have wavy/curly hair that is insanely thick and literally breaks hairbrush. It tangles entirely too easy.. I brush it twice a day, comb it in the shower, put it in braids most of the time, and it still knots up. I also wanted to stop using silicone in my conditioners because I pinpointed that as a source of itching in my scalp and oily scalp syndrome too. I'll post what I've done so far.

Calliope

Enneagram
9w1
i frizz like crazy.. i have wavy/curly hair that is insanely thick and literally breaks hairbrush. It tangles entirely too easy.. I brush it twice a day, comb it in the shower, put it in braids most of the time, and it still knots up. I also wanted to stop using silicone in my conditioners because I pinpointed that as a source of itching in my scalp and oily scalp syndrome too. I'll post what I've done so far.

I don't have curly hair which sometimes I think is a blessing (but other times I see girls with long, curly hair and I feel so jealous), but I do think straight/wavy makes care easier.

I'll check out the Soultanicals :)

How do you use henna? That might be something I'd like to look into. I've never done much with my hair besides coconut oil treatments so something new might be fun.

See spoiler for my normal hair care

I have also heard of the vinegar treatments and I'll look into that. : )

Thanks a lot!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How do you use henna? That might be something I'd like to look into. I've never done much with my hair besides coconut oil treatments so something new might be fun.

They have clear henna.. it's different from body henna, but same plant and stuff. I use Lush's because it's consistent, and has some cocoa/shea oils and stuff in it and it's pretty convenient (you pay for that though with the price. It takes a whole brick and a half to do my hair at $25 a pop) so you get a deep treatment and the plant itself is great for the hair.

Not gonna lie, some people love the smell, I hate it and think it smells like wet dog. Not while it's on my hair, it smells great then (but really strong), but after? Nope. Hate it. I have to use the daily spray to keep it away for a couple weeks after. It didn't really stick to my hair when I used conditioner with silicone (the smell), but when I stopped using silicone? That's when the smell hung around. So, fair warning, you might want to do a test strand first and see if you'll handle it.

Basically you melt it in a double broiler (glass bowl, no metal stuff) and let it cook down in some water (I use mint tea + powdered ginger + vanilla extract + tea tree essential oil to try feebly to get rid of the smell, it helps a tiny bit) until it has a yogurt-like consistency, slather the mud super thick onto your hair from root to tip, wrap it all up in a bun, and wrap your head entirely with saran wrap for 2-4 hours. Then spend FOREVER rinsing it all out of your hair. Then wash and shampoo as normal. It'll make everything green and gross you have to wash everything it touches as soon as you're done, and the mud clumps and gets everywhere so you have to clean the area and preferably do it outside, and wash your shower really good when you're done.

Basically, a GIANT pain, but with help it's not so bad and I only do it once a year for my whole hair and twice at just my roots to give my scalp a treatment.

I'll just use a bit of Lush dry shampoo. It works well and smells really nice.

I tried dry shampoos, and I like them okay, but they always look powdery in my hair with red roots, and make my more natural brown-red roots stand out more when I'm in between henna treatments. Everything else about the concept I like. I thought about trying to make my own with some paprika in it to 'dye' it red too lol.

Heating up a small amount of coconut oil and rubbing it through damp ends and letting it sit for thirty minutes is an amazing way to get soft hair. Plus it smells amazing. Coconut oil is also useful for a lot of things; I put it on my lips, feet, elbows, knees, etc. Great moisturizer. Only use a small amount and be sure to wash it out of hair though because it is rather greasy (it's oil, after all). I normally put it in thirty minutes or the night before I plan to shower.

So I hear as well. Lots of people seem to use coconut oil all over the body. I'm always scared it'll break me out because it's such a heavy oil and I'm prone to them. It only takes one tiny hair flecking down onto my face with the wrong stuff on.. :laugh:

I have also heard of the vinegar treatments and I'll look into that. : )

Just to caution that if you leave the vinegar in and DON'T do anything else and you have no silicone it will definitely linger even after it dries. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. It's not a HUGE horrible smell, but it is slightly acidic still. I notice it anyways. I usually vinegar treat before I shower now as a result, and if I vinegar rinse after a shower I usually dump a cup of vanilla extract in a lot of water afterwards to get the smell out of the majority of my hair.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anyone ever used coal tar soap?

my skin has been so itchy lately. i do have eczema and overall very sensitive skin, but the areas i shave have been SO itchy the past couple months. i looked up the problem and coal tar soap was recommended.

i'm thinking of trying a natural health goods store to see if they have any. does it stink? i'm a little offput by the name and appearance.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
anyone ever used coal tar soap?

my skin has been so itchy lately. i do have eczema and overall very sensitive skin, but the areas i shave have been SO itchy the past couple months. i looked up the problem and coal tar soap was recommended.

i'm thinking of trying a natural health goods store to see if they have any. does it stink? i'm a little offput by the name and appearance.

Coal tar soap doesn't stink, but I have the EXACT same problem, I itch like CRAZY after I've shaved and sometimes even when I haven't. It feels like ants biting me and I will tear up my skin.

Things that have helped me:
Cutting down on shaving altogether. I shave when necessary, and only when necessary. That's really been the biggest help, unfortunately.
I use an electric razor on my legs. It doesn't waste water, it's cheaper, and it cuts close enough to be smooth for a day (only) but not so close that it causes ingrown hairs and issues. I can use this more frequently than I can a straight razor (more than once every 2 weeks with a straight razor drives my skin bananas. I've given up on it entirely except in rush-hour emergencies and just use straight razors on sensitive areas like the underarms now. Legs? All electric now-a-days, and it helps a LOT.) + moisturizing after shaving.
I use apple cider vinegar, full strength, on my legs sometimes.. about 5 minutes before I get into the shower, I just rub a cotton ball all over it and let it sit on the skin until I jump in--usually while I'm pinning my hair and brushing my teeth.
Cooling menthol spray when they itch. I use biofreeze when it's real bad, and a cooling spray from avon that is FANTASTIC and usually goes on sale cheap Avon - Moisture Therapy Calming Relief Anti-Itch Spray Lotion customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings It smells fine and it isn't invasive and I use it weekly at least. Hydrocortisone creams are stupid and do NOT work on my skin anymore, I use those tubes up like candy. Making the skin cold, and covering it so I don't itch are the best and cheapest.
Moisturize!! LIKE CRAZY! Before you shave, after you shave, daily... Everything. Aquaphor when I shave with a straight razor, Curel's anti-itch lotion daily, and baby oil or baby oil gel when I remember.
Light exfoliation. I use a microfiber cloth in the shower now, and I scrub my body with that, and it works pretty well for my legs.. it's soft but still abrasive enough to scrub the dead skin away, and you want to keep sloughing off the skin to keep ingrown hairs from forming.
Also, hot hot water isn't the best for the skin.. I never listen to that rule, I love hot showers, but cooler water is best for it. I find running some cooler/cold water over my legs when I am done in the shower helps.
A mild anti-inflammatory non-steroid drug like Zyrtec or Aleve depending on what I have on hand. Just something to stop inflammation.
Distractions are powerful. If I shave before I like go to work, for example, I'm less likely to think about it and itch even if it is itchy.
Long socks if I'm getting really bad to cover my leg and protect it from myself mostly--and other things brushing up against it.

what didn't help me:
Changing the type of soap I used. At all. I don't use those frouffy beth bath and body works soaps, but liquid soap, dove moisturizing soap, soap bars, et.c etc... It didn't matter. I still itch no matter what. So I stick to my bars of soap and dove now.
Detergent switching. It's an issue with the skin and an auto-immune inflammatory response to shaving and gods know what else. The detergent is fine probably. (But then again, I make my own detergent and have for years so.. i dunno.. but the times I need to use regular detergent I noticed no difference in my skin.)
The type of cloth/clothes I was wearing.
Topical steroids of any sort. They DID help me for a while when it was SUPER Bad.. a couple years ago.. but they were a temporary band-aid to a problem I didn't want to address--that I needed to stop shaving as frequently as most women get to.. When I cooled it off on shaving, I also stopped using the meds.
I didn't find changing the temperature of my shower helped THAT much in comparison to just a rinse of cold water when done.
Special cute-sy soaps and creams and shit. None of it truly helps and it's more expensive than the stuff I mentioned up above. I wish they did. But anyone that says, "this soap blah blah blah saved my life!!!" doesn't have eczema or was allergic to the soap they were using before. Eczema doesn't go away unfortunately. You just manage it.

Chthonic

I'd probably do just that if it weren't for acne too. :cry:

My last partner had perfect skin until he came here and quickly developed cystic acne in his late twenties. Nothing helped until he went and had a food allergy test and was told to cut out wheat and dairy. Once he did so his skin cleared up in 3 weeks and he never had another case of it. Not saying its the same for you, but it's something to think about.