• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://makeupalley.com/product/show...1/MagiX-Face-Perfector/Avon/Primer/-Corrector
Avon Magix is favorably compared to Smashbox and costs $10 or less. I'd be happy to send you a sample (I am not affiliated in any way). I buy two or three when they go on sale for, like, $7.50 or whatever it is -- cheap. You use an amount about the size of a pea for your whole face.
Excellent information, thanks! I'm in Canada so it'd probably be a pain for you to send me anything, otherwise I'd totally take you up on that! My mom actually used to sell avon so she probably has connections...I'll have to remember to ask her about it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Excellent information, thanks! I'm in Canada so it'd probably be a pain for you to send me anything, otherwise I'd totally take you up on that! My mom actually used to sell avon so she probably has connections...I'll have to remember to ask her about it.

Check out the Avon website, you can probably order from there.
I don't mind mailing to Canada, so if you change your mind, just let me know.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sisters turned me onto these eyeshadows. I've been collecting the stackables for a while now. My goal is to get all the colors eventually. They look really cool all stacked up together and I like that they're easy to take with you when traveling. You just pick the colors you want to bring with you and screw them together. They used to sell them in stacks of 5 for cheaper but I guess they stopped that.

G

Glycerine

Sugarpill is really good... many of the eyeshadows are vegan.

(if you like BRIGHT BRIGHT colors... the colors have the best color payoff I have seen).

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Brands. I wish Lush made makeup.

Do you have the Body Shop where you are? They have a pretty great cosmetics line that's "all natural." I'd say 90% of my make-up comes from them. And I'm a natural-look kind of gal.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Does Urban Decay put on crazy big sales every month? I was surprised to see some $40 products on for $4 etc. I would like to get that Naked palette. Does it ever go on sale?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does Urban Decay put on crazy big sales every month? I was surprised to see some $40 products on for $4 etc. I would like to get that Naked palette. Does it ever go on sale?

Probably never. It was highly-desired, and it took me a year to get my hands on one. As soon as they would become available, they would be gone in a day.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I really want the Naked palette, too! I don't think it ever goes on sale. You could sign up to get emails from Sephora, though, because sometimes they'll send email discounts on your total purchase. Of course, the shipping might cancel the discount out in a lot of cases.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I really want the Naked palette, too! I don't think it ever goes on sale. You could sign up to get emails from Sephora, though, because sometimes they'll send email discounts on your total purchase. Of course, the shipping might cancel the discount out in a lot of cases.

oh urban decay just had a 20% sale on their website.
it finished nov 5 i think . http://www.urbandecay.com/

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
was exchanging pm's with [MENTION=13357]Crescent Fresh[/MENTION] about skin care
and told her that i'd update my current skin care routine:

392216_2102047720825_1534430057_31619581_1743869801_n.jpg

wash:
Sisley 'Phyto-Blanc' Buff & Wash Facial Gel
Clairsonic Mia Brush i use this in the shower in the morning a few times a week and everynight.

day care:

--sisley all day all year essential anti-aging daycare

--la mer the spf 30 uv protecting fluid

night care:
chanel ultra correction line repair night cream
i took the top view, elevation looks like:
P142930_LARGE.jpg

---
i think chanel's come a long long way since the
precision line has been launched, i just switched
back to the precision line today, but i also want
to try the new sublimage after i see a
few more reviews. the texture is just amazing.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
A few items keep showing up on best beauty buy lists. I wondered if anyone has an opinion on these items:

Chanel foundation
I think I've tried every kind of drugstore foundation out there and I've also tried MUFE HD and Diorskin. I don't mind that natural ingredients CoverGirl one (doesn't bowl me over though), but I found MUFE quite yellow on me and Diorskin kind of...dry and the pump broke. Any recommendations as to which variety of Chanel foundation is good and is it worth the pricetag or am I better to look at some kind of HD foundation? Also, any ideas on what kinds of undertones Chanel is best for. (I'm not pink, orange or yellow and find it hard to get stuff that matches quite right without looking ghostly or funny coloured. I usually pick the lightest shade of most lines, as I am very pale).

Laura Mercier Camouflage concealer duo
Anyone tried this? Is it good?

Nars Blush in Orgasm.

Benetint
Difficult to apply? Does it look natural? How does it compare to Posie Tint and Cha Cha Tint? They all look horrifying in the bottle.

Also, can someone explain to me what the difference between the wide variety of makeup brushes is? Is it worth it? What makes it worth it for you? Obviously, you don't want bristles falling out, and I assume the quality of hair is a factor too. What makes some brushes worth spending $50-100 for?

F

figsfiggyfigs

I tried the Naked palette in sephora the other day. It is fantastic!
However, it is quite expensive >:/

A few items keep showing up on best beauty buy lists. I wondered if anyone has an opinion on these items:

Chanel foundation
I think I've tried every kind of drugstore foundation out there and I've also tried MUFE HD and Diorskin. I don't mind that natural ingredients CoverGirl one (doesn't bowl me over though), but I found MUFE quite yellow on me and Diorskin kind of...dry and the pump broke. Any recommendations as to which variety of Chanel foundation is good and is it worth the pricetag or am I better to look at some kind of HD foundation? Also, any ideas on what kinds of undertones Chanel is best for. (I'm not pink, orange or yellow and find it hard to get stuff that matches quite right without looking ghostly or funny coloured. I usually pick the lightest shade of most lines, as I am very pale).

Nars Blush in Orgasm.

Benetint
Difficult to apply? Does it look natural? How does it compare to Posie Tint and Cha Cha Tint? They all look horrifying in the bottle.

benetint is extremely easy to apply. you just dab a drop on the apple of your cheeks and smudge it in with your finger. It feels like a drop of water. posie tint feels a little thick and glossy to me, and I don't like how streaky it appears at times. I have not tried anything else bottled by them.

Nars orgasm I've had for a long time now. It lasts. The colours are great, and bronzy. However, personally, I find it a bit more "going out" rather than a day-to-day sort of blush.

I was never a huge fan of Chanel powder/compressed foundation. I had this one foundation a long time ago that was fantastic, but I have tried so many and have yet to find it... Every other foundation I've tried has been a tad useless. I'd try Estee Lauder before and other brands before committing to purchasing Chanel.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For skincare, I recommend going to a dermatologist who has an esthetician on site. The benefit of this is that you can have someone who is highly trained to look at your skin and tell you what you need, plus they do medical facials which are more clarifying to the skin than facials given outside of a Dr's office. They have access to all sorts of variations of medical grade skincare products which have been approved by the FDA vs. over the counter grade products that are sold in stores which have not been. Believe it or not, medical grade skincare products are not only purer and more potent, but sometimes less expensive or comparable in price because you are not paying for the packaging and hype, plus you only have to use a tiny bit daily because it's more concentrated. You don't have to get a facial or see the doctor if you want to buy the products though. You just visit the office and ask for them. If it's something extremely potent they will probably explain it to you or instruct/caution you.

Here are the two lines that I currently use, but I am thinking of changing to all natural skincare soon.

Mostly these:
http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/home/index.aspx

And sunscreen from here:
http://revisionskincare.com/

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

Chanel foundation

chanel just launched a new foundation called perfection lumiere
and the colour range is quite excellent, and they have formulations
for 3 undertone groups

anything ends with 0 is neutral
ends with 2 is pink
and ends with 4 is warmer undertone
if you're quite fair, you probably want a neutral undertone. a B10 or B20.

P157810_LARGE.jpg

the perfection lumiere is longwear, and like all chanel foundations,
it just feels very light on the skin, almost a cocooning feel. it all really
depends in what kind of coverage you want.

i use the vitallumiere aqua which is a med coverage foundation, because
it just feels like second skin, ultra light and lasts if i use a primer with
it.

P170800_LARGE.jpg

so it really depends what you want from your
foundation, do you need a lot of coverage?
do you like a matte finish? or you have dry
skin and need a hydrating foundation. check
out their site, and it has a short descriptor for
the different types available: http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragrance-beauty/Makeup-Foundation-88487

Laura Mercier Camouflage concealer duo
Anyone tried this? Is it good?

i heard a lot about this too through the beauty blogs.
it's popular because you can mix it yourself to get
the correct shade. i've never bought it. i opted for
MUFE's colour corrector palette instead.

Nars Blush in Orgasm.

this is probably nars' most popular blush.
i think it works better on lighter skin tones,
which is strange because nars is really famous
for its pigmentation, but when i'm more tanned
orgasm doesn't show up too well. it is a gorgeous
colour, but there's shimmer in it.

Benetint

very easy to apply like ywir says.
and looks very natural. benetint
is rosy, posie is.. pinkish, chacha
tint is the newest one and is coral.

the tints last FOREVER, i'd actually
suggest to get something like
benefit's BIG10 they come with
a few tints

P295211_hero.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P295211&categoryId=B70

Also, can someone explain to me what the difference between the wide variety of makeup brushes is? Is it worth it? What makes it worth it for you? Obviously, you don't want bristles falling out, and I assume the quality of hair is a factor too. What makes some brushes worth spending $50-100 for?

good brushes simply make applying make-up easier. it's just
like having a better tool and they last forever, i have a few brushes
that are like over 7 years old and still working perfect.

there's two types of brushes, synthetic hairs and natural hairs.
synthetic is usually cheaper and picks up more product so you'll
need a light light touch and is more ideal for liquid/creams
ie lipstick/concealer. natural hairs hold products better, and is
usually preferred for powders ie eyeshadows/loose powder/
blush/compact powder.

if you wear eye makeup, i'd say invest in a MAC217.
it's just amazing how wonderfully it blends. it takes
away all the harsh colour lines and just gives a wonderful
gradient wash. this is my favourite brush, i have a few.

you don't have to invest in every single brush, just
notice what you use most in your makeup routine,
and go try the better brush brands and see if you notice
a difference.

most of my brushes are from mac or stila.
these are my "good" brushes.

374850_2118571253903_1534430057_31626332_1343880043_n.jpg

left to right:

foundation/powder
chanel duo fibre
mac 191
stila 20
mac 134

blush/contouring/bronzer
mac 163
mac 109

eyes/eyelining/tightlining
stila 9 (fluffy brush)
stila 20 (doe foot brush for defining and creating depth)
mac 217 (stiff dome brush for blending)
mac 231 (tightlining, eyeliner, also good for concealer)
mac 209 (eyeliner - great for gel liners)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should come over and experiment on my face while I'm here.
After all, I traveled 12,000 miles to get worked over! :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL, Jen, that's a little more makeover than I'm looking for, I think ... but I'm glad you're happy!

Fidelia, I have expensive brushes and cheap brushes, and the only difference I can tell is whether I like the shape of the brush or not. My favorite eye liner brush is an artist brush I bought at the craft store for about $2.00. The handle was too long so I broke it off. It works better than my Bobbi Brown liner brush that cost roughly $50, which I ended up hating. (Too stiff, shaped wrong for me.)

Start cheap and experiment. I've seen Crownbrush.com recommended in several places.

Jules

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aveda Shampure. Best daily shampoo/conditioner I've ever used. It's plant based, vegan friendly and great for all hair types - my hair is blonde, fine and poker straight so I need something that doesn't weigh it down and gives it shine. Although it's a tad on the expensive side it's definitely worth it because you only need a little bit each time.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
How does it change how foundation looks if you use brush vs sponge vs fingers?. If you use a brush, where do you initally pump the product (hand? directly on brush?). What are you looking for in a brush shape for foundation?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
How does it change how foundation looks if you use brush vs sponge vs fingers?. If you use a brush, where do you initally pump the product (hand? directly on brush?). What are you looking for in a brush shape for foundation?

it just depends on the finish that you like + consistency of foundation.
for the chanel i use the duo fibre to apply it, i swirl swirl. then i mist
mac's mineralized charged water on my stila 20 brush and buff it
in. it gives me a very airbrushed look. and with a misted brush, i get
a very nice dewey finish (this helps foundation not to look cakey, especially
with dry skin).

if i'm using MUFE's face&body foundation, i'll use the mac190 flat
foundation brush then buff it in with the duo fibre brush just to
get rid of streaks if there are any. and i finish off with using
urban decay's dew me spray.

if i want more coverage, i'll use MUFE but apply with just my
ring and middle finger, and i'll pat it on (because i've found it
easier to build that way).

i squeeze foundation at the back of my hand and use it as a palette.
and i dab the brush or my fingers in it, a little bit at a time.

i look for a brush that helps give me an even blend and coverage.
the thicker fluffier foundation brushes (like the one below), i haven't
liked so much because it just picks up too much product. and on a
day to day basis i like just a very light coverage. and if i need a lot
of coverage i just prefer finger tips.

_6212217.jpg

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep small paper plates at my vanity to use as palettes. I put two pumps of liquid foundation (right now using Bobbi Brown) on the plate, and use a brush similar to mmhmm's (I got mine free from Nordstrom, a gift with purchase).

http://www.beautyjunkiesunite.com/WP/2011/08/10/nordstrom-august-beauty-event-gift-with-purchase

What I look for in a foundation brush is fairly firm synthetic bristles (easy to clean, dries fast, doesn't absorb too much product), and a tapered shape (so I can get into small places like around my nostrils and under my eyes).