• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to find a therapist...

gromit

likes this
I think I want to see a therapist. I feel like I’m mostly normal/healthy/happy but there are a couple things I would like to work on:
  • focusing/attention span
  • my role in my mom’s mental illness – what is appropriate for me, how do I best support her?

Anyway, how do you go about finding a therapist, and what would they do? Do they just sit there and listen or do they give you perspective or advice on exercises to do to develop strengths and habits?

gromit

likes this
  • my role in my mom’s mental illness – what is appropriate for me, how do I best support her?

Also, I don't want to end up like my mom. So I want to talk to somebody about what I can do to prevent it. The research indicates that it may have a genetic component, but even if it does, it's not ALL genetic, right...?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually if your mom is mentally ill and you inherit it genetically the sooner you get on medication and get therapy, the less severe your illness will be.

But therapy is a good idea for anyone who thinks they might need it (and for quite a few people who refuse to go...) and you can find resources through your county/state for therapy, or if you have health insurance that makes it even easier...there are also some individual counselors who allow you to pay them on a sliding scale.

It's cheaper to go to a psychologist than a psychiatrist, as far as I know. All therapists are different. Some listen, some offer advice, some have you do art work or write letters or keep a journal.

gromit

likes this
How do you know which one to go to and which stuff to do (lying on the couch vs artwork and whatnot)? My mom actually doesn't do any therapy, it's not like I can talk to my parents about it because they seem to be kind of in denial. So I really have no clue. I do have health insurance through my job, just I don't even know where to start I guess.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you have health insurance that's wonderful, it gives you a wider range of opportunities rather than what the county/state offers, or what is affordable on a sliding scale.

There are art therapists, music therapists, social workers who have a Masters (counselors who just talk and give advice), psychologists who can actually give analysis, and psychiatrists who prescribe meds...there are also some nurses who are licensed to counsel and prescribe meds under a psychiatrist as long as the psychiatrist did the initial evaluation.

I would look on the Internet and in the yellow pages under psychologists, counselors, art therapists, and music therapists if you want to get an idea of what is available in your area and what you can afford with your insurance.

If you mom doesn't go, she could have a personality disorder and not actually have a chemical imbalance...has she ever been evaluated by anyone, ever?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You have to 'audition' several before you can find one you can work with. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Try to find one that is not directly under the control of the insurance company. Many insurers have an 'in-house' group of preferred therapists, and usually these groups provide short term therapy only. If you can, find an outside person who accepts that insurance. that will give you more choices.
Don't worry about genetics. It's not relevant to getting better. Many times, it's used as a fall-back position by psychologists simply becase they haven't figered out how to solve the problem yet.
Not all therpists are created equal. You'll know you've found a good one. Just don't settle. Keep looking. Do some googling.

gromit

likes this
Thanks guys - I talked to one of the people from this message group for people whose parents have the disorder, and she gave me some advice and recommendations (lives in the area as well). I am going to call a couple people, see what happens.