User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Exclamation Not feeling well? Maybe you need more bacteria and worms?

    Exposure to bacteria, worms, and other "yucky" things is good for us.

    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...-could-happen/

    Also: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...act/67/12/1211

    Recent studies suggest that treating people with worms may improve multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes and inflammatory bowel disease. And another “old friend” species—this time a harmless bacterium related to the tuberculosis bug—has been shown to enhance survival when combined with chemotherapy for the treatment of a type of cancer known as adenocarcinoma of the lung.

    Remarkably, this bacterium, known as M. vaccae, has also been shown to reduce depression and anxiety in patients with cancer, suggesting that the “old friends” might hold promise for the treatment of psychiatric conditions.
    This is even more encouragement for me to continue drinking unfiltered water when on wilderness trips. Maybe there are critters in the water making me feel even happier?

  2. #2
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Well, humans have around 10 trillion bacteria in the gut (as oppossed to 4 trillion human cells), so an imbalance of those little critters could cause systemic illness, theoretically.
    There is a Freakonomics podcast about a doctor in Oz who cultivates bacteria from the stools of healthy people and 'implants' them in the bodies of diseased people. He claims to have cured a man of MS with this procedure. It sounds pretty unappetizing, but if it works, it works.
    I grew up in the country for the most part, playing outside, getting dirty, swimming in the river, etc. I think my lack of any allergies may be related to this exposure to the natural environment at a young age. I'm going to check on this M. Vaccae bug you mentioned! This gut bacteria concept makes a lot of sense to me...

  3. #3
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    I know a guy who will pick up a pizza crust right off a downtown sidewalk and ingest it.

    But, this guy's healthy as a horse. He's a chain smoker and drinks 8-12 beers a day, and hasn't seen a doctor in 11 years.

    I sure wouldn't dive right into the germy life from the getgo though - there's a fine balance between intestinal flora and ebola.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  4. #4
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    ^^ Especially if you eat things off the street.

  5. #5
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    This is even more encouragement for me to continue drinking unfiltered water when on wilderness trips. Maybe there are critters in the water making me feel even happier?
    I'd be more worried about parasites and protozoans like giardia than about the germs.

    In general though, I agree about the whole germs thing.
    -end of thread-

  6. #6
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'd be more worried about parasites and protozoans like giardia than about the germs.
    I'm careful about where I drink from.

    A few interesting articles on this:

    http://erikschlimmer.com/pdf/GiardiaMyth-Buster.pdf

    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...try_water.html

  7. #7
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Hm. while not the exact same, I once read a book with a raw food article in it:

    Stuff about dirt containing vitamins.

    I think if you're a germophobe you're screwed in life either way. While I don't think kids should go around eating gobs of mud and still water, I never saw anything wrong with kids playing in dirt, or putting a piece of dog food in their mouth on accident. It's just not that big of a deal.

    As an adult, if you think a bit of germs on something is your biggest worry... You're pretty well off. :3
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  8. #8
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Ew.

  9. #9
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I know a guy who will pick up a pizza crust right off a downtown sidewalk and ingest it.

    But, this guy's healthy as a horse. He's a chain smoker and drinks 8-12 beers a day, and hasn't seen a doctor in 11 years.

    I sure wouldn't dive right into the germy life from the getgo though - there's a fine balance between intestinal flora and ebola.
    One caveat though is that he is young, no older than mid 20s I'd guess? I wouldn't recommend doing this for long at any age. What will most likely happen is that will catch up to him at 30 and definitely by 40. Have you seen aging rock stars? They look like they've been mashed up in a concrete mixer and then reconstructed with beige putty. You look at them and go DAMN you obviously had a rough life. Especially the fact he hasn't been to a doctor in 11 years. Dear lord. Lots of issues degenerate and you aren't aware of them until they get to crisis level.

    Not trying to be a downer, but it's true.

    If he were in his 50s and he had lived like that for all his life and still seemed hale and hearty that would be another matter.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  10. #10
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    One caveat though is that he is young, no older than mid 20s I'd guess? I wouldn't recommend doing this for long at any age. What will most likely happen is that will catch up to him at 30 and definitely by 40. Have you seen aging rock stars? They look like they've been mashed up in a concrete mixer and then reconstructed with beige putty. You look at them and go DAMN you obviously had a rough life. Especially the fact he hasn't been to a doctor in 11 years. Dear lord. Lots of issues degenerate and you aren't aware of them until they get to crisis level.

    Not trying to be a downer, but it's true.

    If he were in his 50s and he had lived like that for all his life and still seemed hale and hearty that would be another matter.
    He's 51.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


Similar Threads

  1. Do you type different when you're feeling well and when not?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-17-2016, 12:46 AM
  2. Not feeling well
    By Polaris in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
  3. What do you need to feel "OK"?
    By foolish heart in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 12:04 PM
  4. [INTJ] INTJs, do you gain more pleasure out of feelings or thoughts?
    By DigitalMethod in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 06:09 AM
  5. not sure if you need any more INFPs, but it's too late now
    By Patriot in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO