User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    He's 51.
    THE HELL YOU SAY.

I'm still witholding judgement till he finally goes to the doctor for a full exam. :altongue:
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    THE HELL YOU SAY.

I'm still witholding judgement till he finally goes to the doctor for a full exam. :altongue:
    Yeah, I actually take back what I said about him being healthy as a horse. He's healthy as a bronchitic horse. The dude is constantly coughing, and you can bet he never covers his mouth. Especially if food is around.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    GONE

Yeah, I actually take back what I said about him being healthy as a horse. He's healthy as a bronchitic horse. The dude is constantly coughing, and you can bet he never covers his mouth. Especially if food is around.
    Just give him some of that...stuff...in your avatar. That should cure him. Or give him something to really cry about.

OH GAWD. I would not eat around him. Sometimes I see people across from me aspirating on our family style meal and a little part of me dies. No for real. That is unhygienic as sh*t.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I'm careful about where I drink from.

A few interesting articles on this:

http://erikschlimmer.com/pdf/GiardiaMyth-Buster.pdf

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...try_water.html
    I agree and also drink unfiltered water but the first link you posted is a bit misleading, as it suggests that most water sources are fine. In reality you have to consider where the water's been. A small creek that flows through Denali wilderness is probably fine. A spring coming straight out of the side of the mountain is fine. A medium-sized creek that passed through farmland? I'd filter it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I agree and also drink unfiltered water but the first link you posted is a bit misleading, as it suggests that most water sources are fine. In reality you have to consider where the water's been. A small creek that flows through Denali wilderness is probably fine. A spring coming straight out of the side of the mountain is fine. A medium-sized creek that passed through farmland? I'd filter it.
    Good point. And, it would be good to have a filter with carbon which removes at least some of the agricultural chemicals.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    One caveat though is that he is young, no older than mid 20s I'd guess? I wouldn't recommend doing this for long at any age. What will most likely happen is that will catch up to him at 30 and definitely by 40. Have you seen aging rock stars? They look like they've been mashed up in a concrete mixer and then reconstructed with beige putty. You look at them and go DAMN you obviously had a rough life. Especially the fact he hasn't been to a doctor in 11 years. Dear lord. Lots of issues degenerate and you aren't aware of them until they get to crisis level.

Not trying to be a downer, but it's true.

If he were in his 50s and he had lived like that for all his life and still seemed hale and hearty that would be another matter.
    haha, I think the booze and smoking is more relevant (and drugs, especially with rock stars!) than the bacteria. With bacteria they might take a few days to build up to sickness-inducing levels but they won't hang around for years waiting for the chance to strike! Maybe that's what you meant anyway, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I'm careful about where I drink from.

A few interesting articles on this:

http://erikschlimmer.com/pdf/GiardiaMyth-Buster.pdf

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...try_water.html
    Interesting! Good to know, although I'm still not sure I would trust it when there's really not much downside to filtering the water, other than time I guess.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

Meh... in my job I get to ingest way more dirt and microbes than I like to think about. Most of the time I'm pretty healthy (last couple of years have been odd - but I put it down to high levels of physical and mental stress). So maybe there is something to be said for the idea that modern humans are a bit to "clean".

On the other hand knowing what I do about aqueous chemistry I'm not a big advocate of just drinking unfiltered water - even muni water. I've seen some data that has left me with my jaw hanging open "people drink this sh*t?" (sometimes literally!).
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I think it's better to just eat yogurt or sauerkraut for healthy microbes without risking flesheatng disease.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Interesting! Good to know, although I'm still not sure I would trust it when there's really not much downside to filtering the water, other than time I guess.
    You're right that it's not a huge deal. The downsides include:
    • It can be a slight hassle to either pump or hang a bag with a tube and wait for gravity to do the work.
    • Filters weigh a few ounces to over a pound for really thorough pump models.
    • They can crack and not filter out pathogens without any indication that they're not working. A drop or freezing at night could cause this.
    • They can clog unexpectedly in silty water.
    • They cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    On the other hand knowing what I do about aqueous chemistry I'm not a big advocate of just drinking unfiltered water - even muni water. I've seen some data that has left me with my jaw hanging open "people drink this sh*t?" (sometimes literally!).
    Don't be so hard on drinking municipal water. It dilutes the even higher concentration of pathogens in contaminated food, especially at the salad bar.

I think it's better to just eat yogurt or sauerkraut for healthy microbes without risking flesheatng disease.
    I like it. It's the "never eat something which might return the favor" approach.