User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    In many military manuals concerning on how to survive torture by the enemy, these kind of techniques are often mentioned.
    Yes. Just seeing all the things the guys who try out for the special forces go through to make it in there shows me that there is such a thing as mental toughness that can take you so much further than your physical being can do on it's own.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes. Just seeing all the things the guys who try out for the special forces go through to make it in there shows me that there is such a thing as mental toughness that can take you so much further than your physical being can do on it's own.
    [youtube="r4YCOh7IFGs"]Mental toughness & Navy SEALS[/youtube]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Sniffles

Oh yeah Ive seen that series too.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I've tried this before, and I usually just end up falling asleep and having crazy-ass dreams.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Then there is the issue of some pains like for example back pains, which may not be wise to 'think away' is the better course of action might be to 'take it easy' before you bust things up so badly there's no going back. Pun intended. :P
    I could be off in my understanding of it, but I think it’s more like dissociating your ‘self’ from the pain more than actually getting rid of it (an intentional, mindful dissociation- not an unconscious one), so you can still notice it- but you’re disciplining your mind so that you can choose not to focus on it, you can choose not to let it distract you. That’s what separates it from chemical analgesics- which actually block the pain itself so you don’t have to pay any attention whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't think of meditation as thinking, really...
    Yeah, this was one of my first thoughts in reading the op (regarding the title)- but then I guess it depends on how one qualifies thinking. Meditation goes against the most common association with ‘thinking’, but I imagine it’s still a kind of ‘thinking’ in and of itself. That’s probably an entire thread on it’s own.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    In many military manuals concerning on how to survive torture by the enemy, these kind of techniques are often mentioned.
    This makes me wonder how many military manuals on how to survive torture by the enemy Peguy has read. Also it makes me wonder if I’m missing out because I’ve never read any myself.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    This makes me wonder how many military manuals on how to survive torture by the enemy Peguy has read. Also it makes me wonder if I’m missing out because I’ve never read any myself.
    Well Tim Pat Coogan's history of the I.R.A. contains excerpts from one manual "the Green Book" which talks about this as well if you're ever interested. Here's a rough outline:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gre...ion_techniques

S.A.S. survival manuals can be bought at most bookstores too.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

thinking about sex can reduce pain
    9w?

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know how it works for other people, but i know when i had my largest scarification piece done i didn't have any anaesthetic, and was able to just kind of breathe through it all and zen the fuck out.

By concentrating on breathing and getting in a kind of meditative state, i was able to sit through 4 hours of someone essentially slicing up my arm, peeling skin and then agitating it.

Same applied for when i had my facial brand done. Although i can't say that one didn't hurt.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Thanks for this link.

It ceases to amaze me what meditation can accomplish. I’ve recently read more than a couple of articles about how meditating every day makes significant physical changes in the brain. From this Utne page:

I’m not privy enough to medical discourse to know how much that^ overlaps with what’s posted in the op (as far as specific sections of the brain affected), but stating it in terms of consequence/benefits- ‘pain management’ is yet another new one to me.
    Thanks for posting this.

I don't think it should be confused with rationalizing out of pain, perhaps even intuiting out of pain. I would call it... accepting and overcoming, going through instead of struggling with pain.