• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OMG I Am Looking So OLD!!!!!!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm... this whole forum could get really passive aggressive really fast if we start talking this way.

She's really ugly, looks like an orange monkey, too much alcohol, really dumb.... eh hem.. Snooki, I mean, of course. :laugh:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
THIS. Ugh. This happened to me this year. I lost the padding under my eyes and a bit in the hollows of my cheeks. I always had kind of a rounder face, but good cheekbones, so I always used to look forward to my face thinning out a bit. But when it happens, all you can think is that the stuffing makes you look more youthful. Plus, the stuffing holds things up. I've always taken good care of my skin, and only had one tiny line under my eyes that appeared when I smiled--and that arrived at 32. Then this year, at exactly 38 1/2, that padding disappeared and suddenly the fine lines under my eyes are more plentiful because they don't have anything to fill them. I hate it, but I also think I'm probably the main one that notices, and I know I got away with not having any lines for a long time.

FWIW I didn't realize you were in your late 30s when I saw your pics :D

And yes, fat is your anti-aging friend. "Fleshy padding" on the forehead and cheekbones are some of the hallmarks of youth.

It's why in medieval days, a beauty tip was "to be fat" because it plumped up all the possible wrinkles in your face. Back then, being fat wasn't considered a negative so that remedy actually worked. Unlike what it means in modern times, akin to telling someone "this medication for social anxiety will give you terrible bad breath that no one will want to be near".

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yikes, I just re-read the symptoms etc. :horor:

Probably time to see the doc.

I was told about three years ago I was a bit high in cholesterol. I thought it was the top-ramen, pizza, and alcohol.

Coming to this thread late.

Aging...wooo...no comment. I don't even want to think about what I looked liked compared to now. And extremely stressful events (for me, divorce) can have a meteoric impact on one's looks. I'm a little apprehensive about looking older. I've asked other people how old do I look--get answers that usually range in the low 30s. I think the best feedback was when I went to the dermatologist for a chemical peel. I was asking the young lady that did the treatment about anti-aging stuff and what she recommended and she exclaimed, "Don't touch your face! You don't need anything at all done to it!"

I wanted to kiss the top of her little blond head. :wubbie:

@ ThatGirl: Hashimoto's can be really tough to regulate. I have Grave's disease and I resisted the radioactive iodine treatment for various reasons. I've usually been able to bring it into remission by taking PTU for around 18 months. Unfortunately, the iodine is beginning to look really attractive...hyperthyroidism can fuck with your mind something bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave's_disease

I've been through this and don't really want it to happen again.

Oddly enough, the doctor thought that I had Hashimoto's in the post-partum period but it was just transient changes that can occur at that time. It looked hypothyroid then.

T

ThatGirl

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear about your condition, I am sure that can be pretty frustrating. A friend of mine who had chronic hyperthyroidism was very erratic mentally. Just doing impulsive things as she so felt, that didn't really make much sense at all.

I am looking forward to seeing a doc, and observing any changes in mood. I think I should stop feeling so damn tired all the time. If 4 shots of espresso doesn't do anything for you, something is wrong. Lol.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wear sunscreen. I don't care if it's sunny. I don't care if it's overcast. I don't care if you're only outside "for a little bit." Wear it. Wear it to bed. Put it on before you shower. Put it on before you even dream of sunny climates.

The sun is your face's #1 enemy.

note: especially when in the snow, sand and especially water. It reflects the sun, amplifying the damage.

Without sunscreen in dry land, I'll take a few hours to burn. If I'm out surfing, it happens within an hour.

I'm blonde, blue eyed and fair skinned though - but even if you're black, the sunscreen will prevent damage.

T

ThatGirl

Lol, I am actually pretty fair, and am not a fan of being in the hot sun. I even wait until around 7pm to swim in the summer. I will work an SPF into my makeup routine though, just in case.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lol, I am actually pretty fair, and am not a fan of being in the hot sun. I even wait until around 7pm to swim in the summer. I will work an SPF into my makeup routine though, just in case.

yep, good idea. Because the thing with sun damage is that it's cumulative. You don't need to have a solid 8 hour block on a beach of roasting yourself in baby oil for the long-term effects to appear. Little by little over the years.

I know you probably hear that all the time, but only because it's so true.

Mole

Permabanned
...in medieval days, a beauty tip was "to be fat.

Yes, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder yet we blind ourselves to beauty by desperately trying to be conventionally beautiful.

And if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then appreciating beauty is a creative act. So it is an act outside of the purview of the conventional.

So we need to learn how to see with our own eyes rather than with the eyes of those around us.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
[MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] I just got a juicer and am drinking an infamous "green smoothie"

They are as disgusting and unpalatable as I remember.

I eat lots of kale and now collard greens. I dun know why I need a green smoothie. Blech. I'd rather eat a salad then shove the salad through some high speed chopper and drink the mess. I feel like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
[MENTION=10491]mmhmm[/MENTION] I just got a juicer and am drinking an infamous "green smoothie"

They are as disgusting and unpalatable as I remember.

I eat lots of kale and now collard greens. I dun know why I need a green smoothie. Blech. I'd rather eat a salad then shove the salad through some high speed chopper and drink the mess. I feel like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.

it's the green taste that makes it gross, be sure you put
lots of fruit in while you palate adapts. the trick with green
smoothies, is that it has to be tasty.. or else.. well don't
want to drink it.

my favourite is: cold pressed orange juice + mangoes + kale
if i have time, i'll only use the leaves, then go steam the uh
non-leaf bit.

(also i use a 3HP blender - you could blend and entire cow.)
blending vs juicing: http://greensmoothiesblog.com/blending-vs-juicing/

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
it's the green taste that makes it gross, be sure you put
lots of fruit in while you palate adapts. the trick with green
smoothies, is that it has to be tasty.. or else.. well don't
want to drink it.

my favourite is: cold pressed orange juice + mangoes + kale
if i have time, i'll only use the leaves, then go steam the uh
non-leaf bit.

(also i use a 3HP blender - you could blend and entire cow.)
blending vs juicing: http://greensmoothiesblog.com/blending-vs-juicing/

People always be talking 'bout 'Vitamix'. BOO Vitamix, I'm not dropping hundreds (plural) dollars on some hippie Whole Foods miracle worker.

I tried blending my smoothies in a Ninja (seriously) and the results were like drinking finely chopped herbs. I'd prefer to blend than juice but didn't want to invest in anything hardcore right now.

And this is all TOTALLY on topic. [MENTION=4384]ThatGirl[/MENTION] we are showing you how you too may get glowing youthful Asian skin with the help of green smoothies. :D

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
People always be talking 'bout 'Vitamix'. BOO Vitamix, I'm not dropping hundreds (plural) dollars on some hippie Whole Foods miracle worker.

I tried blending my smoothies in a Ninja (seriously) and the results were like drinking finely chopped herbs. I'd prefer to blend than juice but didn't want to invest in anything hardcore right now.

And this is all TOTALLY on topic. [MENTION=4384]ThatGirl[/MENTION] we are showing you how you too may get glowing youthful Asian skin with the help of green smoothies. :D

hahha yes. i use a vitamix. blendtec is also another good brand.
well the reason behind using a super powered blender is because
it mashes up the greens better (so it's not like finely chopped herbs)
and just breaks down the cellulose better, so you get better nutrient
absorption, and your body doesn't work as hard.

another variation is to just dump wheatgrass shots (1-2) into a fruit smoothie.

Giles

Hi ThatGirl,
To prevent looking from old do start exercise, yoga or dance.
Eat balanced nutritive diet food which includes raw food, fish, nuts, poultry and fat free dairy products.
There are many famous anti aging creams available in the market also.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

hahha yes. i use a vitamix. blendtec is also another good brand.
well the reason behind using a super powered blender is because
it mashes up the greens better (so it's not like finely chopped herbs)
and just breaks down the cellulose better, so you get better nutrient
absorption, and your body doesn't work as hard.

another variation is to just dump wheatgrass shots (1-2) into a fruit smoothie.

OK, so you've convinced me to join the green smoothie revolution, thanks for the tip, much appreciated!! :solidarity:

Now I've gotta decide how much $ to drop on a high speed blender. On Amazon, the KitchenAid blender gets 4 out of 5 stars from 471 reviewers and is only $100, which is pretty amazing compared to the $400 blenders. However, the top reviewer says it's 720 Watts, and I didn't search through the reviews for mention of green smoothies. I think you recommended min 1000 Watts for green smoothies, yeah?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=high+speed+blender&x=0&y=0

So, does this mean that the KitchenAid would be a good alternative for those who don't want to spend the money, but it would mean the smoothies wouldn't taste as good because it wouldn't break down the greens quite as well?

How about the Cuisinart 1000 Watt blender for $200?? It gets 4 stars on Amazon by 23 reviewers. I think I might go for that one, unless there are good reasons to spend double that on the Blendtec or the Vitamix?

Also, any other recommendations for a newb green smoothie drinker?

Thanks!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
OK, so you've convinced me to join the green smoothie revolution, thanks for the tip, much appreciated!! :solidarity:

Now I've gotta decide how much $ to drop on a high speed blender. On Amazon, the KitchenAid blender gets 4 out of 5 stars from 471 reviewers and is only $100, which is pretty amazing compared to the $400 blenders. However, the top reviewer says it's 720 Watts, and I didn't search through the reviews for mention of green smoothies. I think you recommended min 1000 Watts for green smoothies, yeah?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=high+speed+blender&x=0&y=0

So, does this mean that the KitchenAid would be a good alternative for those who don't want to spend the money, but it would mean the smoothies wouldn't taste as good because it wouldn't break down the greens quite as well?

How about the Cuisinart 1000 Watt blender for $200?? It gets 4 stars on Amazon by 23 reviewers. I think I might go for that one, unless there are good reasons to spend double that on the Blendtec or the Vitamix?

Also, any other recommendations for a newb green smoothie drinker?

Thanks!

here's the link on 'why a high speed blender' http://greensmoothiesblog.com/using-blenders-green-smoothie/

i think the heart of the story is basically, with a higher speed,
you have a smoother and creamier smoothie. and when you
break down the veggies like that, it's just easier for your body
to absorb the nutrients.

this is boutenko's book on green smoothies: http://greensmoothierevolution.com/

the best tip i can give you is to make the smoothies that you want to drink.
when you start out, use more fruits than vegetables, because the 'green'
tastes is something you have to get used to. though the point of it is to
eventually consumer more greens than fruit, but just build it up, and your
body will crave for more greens. when i started out, i used a lot of cold
pressed juice (orange juice is my fave).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION]

If you have the budget go for it. I for one got this relatively inexpensive juicer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OF3FBK It's a juicer not a blender and it's not as strong or wide mouthed (which is more convenient for tossing in whole fruits) as my Breville, but it does a solid job.

I think in the case of juicing, unless you know you will stick with it, it's better to get a 'good average' blender/smoothie and then invest in more when you know what you like and will stick with it.

Carrots are a sweet veggie - my vegan friend swears that tons of carrots plus greens "tastes like chocolate". Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Also, I plug my nose when I drink the green smoothie and chug it. I drink smoothies for the effects not for the experience. So I make it as green as I can. Having said that, a little green goes a long way.

Apples + Carrots are a very basic and good intro to fruit + veggie mix.

Supposedly collards are more bitter than kale but I find collards more palatable.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
here's the link on 'why a high speed blender' http://greensmoothiesblog.com/using-blenders-green-smoothie/

i think the heart of the story is basically, with a higher speed,
you have a smoother and creamier smoothie. and when you
break down the veggies like that, it's just easier for your body
to absorb the nutrients.

this is boutenko's book on green smoothies: http://greensmoothierevolution.com/

the best tip i can give you is to make the smoothies that you want to drink.
when you start out, use more fruits than vegetables, because the 'green'
tastes is something you have to get used to. though the point of it is to
eventually consumer more greens than fruit, but just build it up, and your
body will crave for more greens. when i started out, i used a lot of cold
pressed juice (orange juice is my fave).

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION]

If you have the budget go for it. I for one got this relatively inexpensive juicer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OF3FBK It's a juicer not a blender and it's not as strong or wide mouthed (which is more convenient for tossing in whole fruits) as my Breville, but it does a solid job.

I think in the case of juicing, unless you know you will stick with it, it's better to get a 'good average' blender/smoothie and then invest in more when you know what you like and will stick with it.

Carrots are a sweet veggie - my vegan friend swears that tons of carrots plus greens "tastes like chocolate". Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Also, I plug my nose when I drink the green smoothie and chug it. I drink smoothies for the effects not for the experience. So I make it as green as I can. Having said that, a little green goes a long way.

Apples + Carrots are a very basic and good intro to fruit + veggie mix.

Supposedly collards are more bitter than kale but I find collards more palatable.

Great, thanks for the tips, mmmhmmm and CzeCze, much appreciated!

The green smoothie website recommends Vitamix and says Blendtec is a good alternative, but they are both $400 on Amazon.

I'm considering it, but we're trying to save money right now, so the $200 1000 Watt Cuisinart seems like a good alternative for us atm. My hub isn't keen on spending $400 on a blender at the moment, either, so I'll probly get the $200 one. Maybe later when we have more spare money we'll splurge for the Vitamix.

:laugh: I guess if she hasn't had chocolate since going vegan 10 yrs ago or whatever, maybe it tastes similar to how she vaguely remembers chocolate tastes. "Vaguely remembers" being the key phrase. ;-)