Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    it's the green taste that makes it gross, be sure you put
    lots of fruit in while you palate adapts. the trick with green
    smoothies, is that it has to be tasty.. or else.. well don't
    want to drink it.

my favourite is: cold pressed orange juice + mangoes + kale
    if i have time, i'll only use the leaves, then go steam the uh
    non-leaf bit.

(also i use a 3HP blender - you could blend and entire cow.)
    blending vs juicing: http://greensmoothiesblog.com/blending-vs-juicing/
    People always be talking 'bout 'Vitamix'. BOO Vitamix, I'm not dropping hundreds (plural) dollars on some hippie Whole Foods miracle worker.

I tried blending my smoothies in a Ninja (seriously) and the results were like drinking finely chopped herbs. I'd prefer to blend than juice but didn't want to invest in anything hardcore right now.

And this is all TOTALLY on topic. @ThatGirl we are showing you how you too may get glowing youthful Asian skin with the help of green smoothies.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    People always be talking 'bout 'Vitamix'. BOO Vitamix, I'm not dropping hundreds (plural) dollars on some hippie Whole Foods miracle worker.

I tried blending my smoothies in a Ninja (seriously) and the results were like drinking finely chopped herbs. I'd prefer to blend than juice but didn't want to invest in anything hardcore right now.

And this is all TOTALLY on topic. @ThatGirl we are showing you how you too may get glowing youthful Asian skin with the help of green smoothies.
    hahha yes. i use a vitamix. blendtec is also another good brand.
    well the reason behind using a super powered blender is because
    it mashes up the greens better (so it's not like finely chopped herbs)
    and just breaks down the cellulose better, so you get better nutrient
    absorption, and your body doesn't work as hard.

another variation is to just dump wheatgrass shots (1-2) into a fruit smoothie.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Looking old is not as bad as looking dumb
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Looking old is not as bad as looking dumb
    Actually looking dumb isn't so bad, as long as you aren't relying on said people. Being underestimated can be a good thing. Its actually being dumb that sucks.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

That's a point
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Hi ThatGirl,
    To prevent looking from old do start exercise, yoga or dance.
    Eat balanced nutritive diet food which includes raw food, fish, nuts, poultry and fat free dairy products.
    There are many famous anti aging creams available in the market also.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

hahha yes. i use a vitamix. blendtec is also another good brand.
    well the reason behind using a super powered blender is because
    it mashes up the greens better (so it's not like finely chopped herbs)
    and just breaks down the cellulose better, so you get better nutrient
    absorption, and your body doesn't work as hard.

another variation is to just dump wheatgrass shots (1-2) into a fruit smoothie.
    OK, so you've convinced me to join the green smoothie revolution, thanks for the tip, much appreciated!!

Now I've gotta decide how much $ to drop on a high speed blender. On Amazon, the KitchenAid blender gets 4 out of 5 stars from 471 reviewers and is only $100, which is pretty amazing compared to the $400 blenders. However, the top reviewer says it's 720 Watts, and I didn't search through the reviews for mention of green smoothies. I think you recommended min 1000 Watts for green smoothies, yeah?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lender&x=0&y=0

So, does this mean that the KitchenAid would be a good alternative for those who don't want to spend the money, but it would mean the smoothies wouldn't taste as good because it wouldn't break down the greens quite as well?

How about the Cuisinart 1000 Watt blender for $200?? It gets 4 stars on Amazon by 23 reviewers. I think I might go for that one, unless there are good reasons to spend double that on the Blendtec or the Vitamix?

Also, any other recommendations for a newb green smoothie drinker?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    OK, so you've convinced me to join the green smoothie revolution, thanks for the tip, much appreciated!!

Now I've gotta decide how much $ to drop on a high speed blender. On Amazon, the KitchenAid blender gets 4 out of 5 stars from 471 reviewers and is only $100, which is pretty amazing compared to the $400 blenders. However, the top reviewer says it's 720 Watts, and I didn't search through the reviews for mention of green smoothies. I think you recommended min 1000 Watts for green smoothies, yeah?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lender&x=0&y=0

So, does this mean that the KitchenAid would be a good alternative for those who don't want to spend the money, but it would mean the smoothies wouldn't taste as good because it wouldn't break down the greens quite as well?

How about the Cuisinart 1000 Watt blender for $200?? It gets 4 stars on Amazon by 23 reviewers. I think I might go for that one, unless there are good reasons to spend double that on the Blendtec or the Vitamix?

Also, any other recommendations for a newb green smoothie drinker?

Thanks!
    here's the link on 'why a high speed blender' http://greensmoothiesblog.com/using-...reen-smoothie/

i think the heart of the story is basically, with a higher speed,
    you have a smoother and creamier smoothie. and when you
    break down the veggies like that, it's just easier for your body
    to absorb the nutrients.

this is boutenko's book on green smoothies: http://greensmoothierevolution.com/

the best tip i can give you is to make the smoothies that you want to drink.
    when you start out, use more fruits than vegetables, because the 'green'
    tastes is something you have to get used to. though the point of it is to
    eventually consumer more greens than fruit, but just build it up, and your
    body will crave for more greens. when i started out, i used a lot of cold
    pressed juice (orange juice is my fave).
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    GONE

@redcheerio

If you have the budget go for it. I for one got this relatively inexpensive juicer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OF3FBK It's a juicer not a blender and it's not as strong or wide mouthed (which is more convenient for tossing in whole fruits) as my Breville, but it does a solid job.

I think in the case of juicing, unless you know you will stick with it, it's better to get a 'good average' blender/smoothie and then invest in more when you know what you like and will stick with it.

Carrots are a sweet veggie - my vegan friend swears that tons of carrots plus greens "tastes like chocolate". Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Also, I plug my nose when I drink the green smoothie and chug it. I drink smoothies for the effects not for the experience. So I make it as green as I can. Having said that, a little green goes a long way.

Apples + Carrots are a very basic and good intro to fruit + veggie mix.

Supposedly collards are more bitter than kale but I find collards more palatable.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

here's the link on 'why a high speed blender' http://greensmoothiesblog.com/using-...reen-smoothie/

i think the heart of the story is basically, with a higher speed,
    you have a smoother and creamier smoothie. and when you
    break down the veggies like that, it's just easier for your body
    to absorb the nutrients.

this is boutenko's book on green smoothies: http://greensmoothierevolution.com/

the best tip i can give you is to make the smoothies that you want to drink.
    when you start out, use more fruits than vegetables, because the 'green'
    tastes is something you have to get used to. though the point of it is to
    eventually consumer more greens than fruit, but just build it up, and your
    body will crave for more greens. when i started out, i used a lot of cold
    pressed juice (orange juice is my fave).
    @redcheerio

If you have the budget go for it. I for one got this relatively inexpensive juicer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OF3FBK It's a juicer not a blender and it's not as strong or wide mouthed (which is more convenient for tossing in whole fruits) as my Breville, but it does a solid job.

I think in the case of juicing, unless you know you will stick with it, it's better to get a 'good average' blender/smoothie and then invest in more when you know what you like and will stick with it.

Carrots are a sweet veggie - my vegan friend swears that tons of carrots plus greens "tastes like chocolate". Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Also, I plug my nose when I drink the green smoothie and chug it. I drink smoothies for the effects not for the experience. So I make it as green as I can. Having said that, a little green goes a long way.

Apples + Carrots are a very basic and good intro to fruit + veggie mix.

Supposedly collards are more bitter than kale but I find collards more palatable.
    Great, thanks for the tips, mmmhmmm and CzeCze, much appreciated!

The green smoothie website recommends Vitamix and says Blendtec is a good alternative, but they are both $400 on Amazon.

I'm considering it, but we're trying to save money right now, so the $200 1000 Watt Cuisinart seems like a good alternative for us atm. My hub isn't keen on spending $400 on a blender at the moment, either, so I'll probly get the $200 one. Maybe later when we have more spare money we'll splurge for the Vitamix.

I guess if she hasn't had chocolate since going vegan 10 yrs ago or whatever, maybe it tastes similar to how she vaguely remembers chocolate tastes. "Vaguely remembers" being the key phrase. ;-)