First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    i'm really vain too like mmhmm - this is what i do.

slap i use
    i use gentle BHAs and AHAs - acids are your friend. google to see why. i went to see a proper non-quack dermatologist/vain doctor when i was mid 20s seeking preservation tips.
    AHAs are great , especially glycolic acid. I have oily skin though, so the fact that it smooths, evens out, and softens without being an emollient (moisturizer) is a plus. Retin-a (vitamin A) is good, old standard that doesn't go away because it really does help.

Agree on the sunscreen also. Those who never got into tanning also seem to age better.

before putting anything on your skin check out product reviews on makeupalley.com and try to find out more about the active ingredients.
    And this. I can't believe the price of some products when you read their ingredients and discover they're just a basic moisturizer. You're often paying for brand/packaging.

I got obsessed with cosmetic labels a few years back & educated myself on what all those long, clunky words mean, and now I can make a quick estimate of whether a product is worth the price or not. I have a strong need to understand something before I'll accept its claims, especially if that something is expensive, and research has more than once prevented me from wasting my money.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    And this. I can't believe the price of some products when you read their ingredients and discover they're just a basic moisturizer. You're often paying for brand/packaging.

I got obsessed with cosmetic labels a few years back & educated myself on what all those long, clunky words mean, and now I can make a quick estimate of whether a product is worth the price or not. I have a strong need to understand something before I'll accept its claims, especially if that something is expensive, and research has more than once prevented me from wasting my money.
    Awesome! Ditto here, but I've never taken the time to do the research.

Care to share your findings?

Or did you already basically sum up the important bits, ie. retin-A, AHAs, glycolic acid?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Awesome! Ditto here, but I've never taken the time to do the research.

Care to share your findings?

Or did you already basically sum up the important bits, ie. retin-A, AHAs, glycolic acid?
    Oh no, there's much more than that .

You need to know what to avoid too, which usually amounts to comedogenic or irritating ingredients, cheap & irritating fillers & preservatives, and most fragrance & dyes.

It's easier/better to examine each product's ingredient list, because there are different ways of wording the same ingredient & sometimes cheap fillers are the culprit of breakouts/irritation/drying, even if the active ingredients are generally good. The order of ingredients is important too....they are ordered by percentage, so sometimes the ones near the bottom are just there so they can brag about it in their advertising. Generally, a really long list of stuff is a bad sign, with some exceptions of course.

Knowing how to "layer" products is important to, so as to avoid irritation. My rule of thumb is no more than 2 active ingredients at a time, with the exception of sunscreen. For example, if you use a retin-a, don't use a glycolic acid also. It's too much.

I mean, I could say "look for this, avoid that", but then we'd be here awhile....

I suggest just starting with google when you are interested in a product. There's a ton of info on the web so you can at least get a general idea of what an ingredient is, what it does, and if it's any good. There are some good charts out there which rate common ingredients, just watch out for paranoid web sites that claim anything not "natural" is bad .

I'm actually not quite as paranoid/obsessed as this post is making me sound either
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post

Mid- to late-20s is when you start having those first realizations that age is creeping up on you more than you think. But you get on with life in the end.
    I wasn't aware of that. I actually didn't notice I was aging until recently (I'm 42). Now I drink tons of water, avoid direct sunlight and take better care of my skin. At the age I am now, if I eat poorly or drink alcohol, it shows and I feel the effects instantly.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Really? You must be lucky. I have pretty light skin and I started noticing little changes already in my mid to late 20s. Also noticed a chance in my metabolism around 27. Awhile ago I was driving and suddenly thought to myself, "Where did the stuffing under my eyes go?" Now I have some lines that don't go away, even when I'm not smilling or frowning. Since I was in my late 20s though I started wearing sunscreen and paying more attention to cleaning my skin properly or using AHAs to get rid of dead skin cells.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I feel like I look a bit older this year, despite doing everything I could to take care of myself all my life. At a certain point, you lose some of the fat in your face, which makes stuff shift around or hollow out. But yeah, there are still facial exercises you can do, and most people aren't looking at you with as much scrutiny as you would yourself. I still get the same reactions that I did before I started looking older to myself. But it still sucks because I know what's different. I'd say, try not to look in the mirror expecting to see a 20 year old.
    Yeah, this.

I didn't really become preoccupied with changes to my face until the past couple of years, but my preoccupation has gotten noticeably worse recently - not fishing for feedback here, just being truthful in that I'm starting to feel totally unattractive - having many more of those days. I need to get over it, as I know it's a big perceptual thing and I just need to wrap my head around growing older. I've never had a very positive relationship with my looks/image, so growing older and starting to see subtle changes (just turned 33) has simply exacerbated the problem that has always existed.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Banned

OMG You Are Looking So OLD!!!!!! (That's 6 explanation marks!!!!!!)

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm pushing the boundaries of old with bourbon.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I just invested in anti aging skin care by Mary Kay, and I'm twenty. If you take care of your skin when you are young, I hear ya look younger in the long run. So thats my goal.

Enneagram

I am 20, and I found my first gray hair the other day. Very surreal, because I still feel immune to age. I have a very crinkly face though, and I do fluctuate in weight a lot due to thyroid problem, I used to range between 170-240 lbs until I got it under control. My skin elasticity is pretty crappy for my age. I'm not THAT worried about it, because society doesn't seem to hate men's wrinkles as much as it seems to hate women's wrinkles, but it still reminds me that while I may be 20, I can't hide forever.