• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ladies!! Or men who wear make up.

T

ThatGirl

I would like some beauty advice. The first question is what is your favorite mascarra?

I used to use lancome's intencils which has long been discontinued. It was insane for lengthening without clumping or drying out too fast. Now I am using cover girls exact lash which doesn't even come close to as good for lengthening, dries out way to fast, and is just alright. I don't want to keep buying products that advertise correctly but work like crap.

So, what is your favorite mascarra and why?

Thanks!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lancome's Definicils is probably still my favourite, but is pricier than I'd like. I've tried a bunch of other drugstore stuff and have like Loreal's Bare Essecuals the best out of the lot for every day mascara (it's spelled some weird way like that). I got some at the dollar store for discount and was very pleasantly surprised. I've tried Maybelline stuff (several kinds) and not been wowed the way many reviewers seem to be. I've tried the 1000 Lashes stuff by Loreal and didn't love it either (it smells funny). I've been mostly happy (though not astounded) by a bunch of the Cover Girl ones that have that funny coloured brush (Yeah, I'm a sucker for packaging).

A

Anew Leaf

I would like some beauty advice. The first question is what is your favorite mascarra?

I used to use lancome's intencils which has long been discontinued. It was insane for lengthening without clumping or drying out too fast. Now I am using cover girls exact lash which doesn't even come close to as good for lengthening, dries out way to fast, and is just alright. I don't want to keep buying products that advertise correctly but work like crap.

So, what is your favorite mascarra and why?

Thanks!

I use the Covergirl lash blast in the purple tube. I already have really long dark lashes so I am mainly just going for a bit darker, and a bit more length because it looks better that way.

Do you have a Sephora by you? There is a fun kiosk there that you can try about 20 different kinds of mascara, and they have codes to show what the mascara is best for (length, curling, volume, etc).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sephora is awesome for trying stuff out...i don't care a whole lot about mascara actually but i use loreal voluminous or something like that) and it's fine.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Yves Rocher Luminelle Ultra Volume mascara, but it is a French company - not sure whether it is available in North America (where I think you are!). It might be available by mail order. I live in the UK, and they don't have shops here but they have a great mail order service.

It lasts really well and is good for everyday, but to be honest, it's not hyper-lengthening. I sometimes used to use one of those weird mascaras where you put on a "lengthening coat" first and then the normal mascara coat - and it definitely lengthened but I think little bits tended to come off by the end of the day. I prefer something more straightforward anyway ;) and I can't remember what the heck it was called. It might have been L'Oreal.

I agree with Fidelia, don't think Maybelline is the best quality.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
@_@ I know nothing about make-up.. But mascara makes my eyes feel dry and watery when I apply it.. I wonder if that's just because im not used to it.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Something I discovered by putting mascara on in the car on the way to work (when I was a teenager living in Canada in the winter) (from the passenger seat, not while driving!!), is that no matter what kind you use, it goes on smoother without clumps if you warm it up a bit first.

So I'll usually put it on the inside of my pants' waist band near my hips for a few minutes while I'm doing other things, to warm it up first. (Does that make sense?) When it's warmed up a bit, it glides on nice and smooth with no clumps. Even now that I live in Southern Cal, I still do this.

(Mascara and a bit of eyeliner on my top lid are the only makeup I wear. I'm blonde, so without it, you can't see my eyelashes.)

A

Anew Leaf

Something I discovered by putting mascara on in the car on the way to work (when I was a teenager living in Canada in the winter) (from the passenger seat, not while driving!!), is that no matter what kind you use, it goes on smoother without clumps if you warm it up a bit first.

So I'll usually put it on the inside of my pants' waist band near my hips for a few minutes while I'm doing other things, to warm it up first. (Does that make sense?) When it's warmed up a bit, it glides on nice and smooth with no clumps. Even now that I live in Southern Cal, I still do this.

(Mascara and a bit of eyeliner on my top lid are the only makeup I wear. I'm blonde, so without it, you can't see my eyelashes.)

You are S M R T. I didn't know that! I will try it tomorrow. (I always like new ways of doing things.) :D

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
You are S M R T. I didn't know that! I will try it tomorrow. (I always like new ways of doing things.) :D

:laugh: Yay, glad someone else can benefit from this, and without having to live through a Canadian winter! :D

I'd be interested to know if you like the results.... :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was going to say I really like the cover girl exact lash something or other (it comes in a skinny purple tube and has a purple brush that looks like plastic caterpillar legs) because it has a subtle look, doesn't go on too thick and doesn't flake bits off into my eyes throughout the day. I like the covergirl eyelighters and probably all the ones with the same brush, for the same reason. Sooo I guess we have different taste.

That's for everyday use though, I don't really have a good "going out so look at my eyeeeees" mascara. Eyelash curler does more than any mascara does anyway.

I don't find that any mascara clumps if you wiggle the brush back and forth. Unless it's really really old and gross, maybe.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybelline Lash Discovery (super tiny brush) gets all those little lashes or my recent switch to L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes (gold tube) for more drama in the evening.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Randomnity said:
I don't find that any mascara clumps if you wiggle the brush back and forth. Unless it's really really old and gross, maybe.

Well I replace it about every month and only use it just after my morning shower, but I put it on thick because my lashes are blonde, and kinda thin and sparse. Even with it on thick, it doesn't look dramatic or unnatural, that's how thin mine are naturally. :laugh: When you put it on thick, even new mascara can get clumpy if it isn't warmed up first.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmmm....like, multiple layers? I can imagine that getting clumpy. I guess it just bugs me enough to have it even remotely clumpy that I've never tried this "thick" thing you speak of.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
hmmm....like, multiple layers? I can imagine that getting clumpy. I guess it just bugs me enough to have it even remotely clumpy that I've never tried this "thick" thing you speak of.

Yes, like brushing over the same lashes 2-3 times until it's a bit thicker but still smooth and separated. Warming it up keeps it from getting clumps, and keeps the lashes themselves from clumping together. So they look like they are naturally thicker. Only takes a minute to put it on like that, and I do other things while it's warming up in my "pocket".

gromit

likes this
I use the maybelline pink bottle kind... my eyelashes are pretty dark so it's mostly just on the ends of the lashes that I use it. If it clumps a little I poke it with my fingers and it separates. It might be the cheapest kind that does the job...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I always think that mascara makes my eyes look kinda gross. I have really long/thick lashes without it. One time when i had mascara on, someone thought they were fake eyelashes. :( Has anyone ever thinned out their eyelashes before?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ yes, but I think thinning causes some of them to stop growing back. It was OK when I didn't care ... now they are naturally thinning a bit more in my forties and I'm not as happy about that.

A

Anew Leaf

^ yes, but I think thinning causes some of them to stop growing back. It was OK when I didn't care ... now they are naturally thinning a bit more in my forties and I'm not as happy about that.

oops.... I should stop doing that then... but they just drive me nuts when they get stuck to each other or the top lashes get tangled with the lower. :(