User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

ThatGirl

I get this when I dream that I am asleep. Its a trip because I have to recognize that I am sleeping in my sleep in order to snap out of it. Which I have gotten pretty good at. Still I hate the feeling. I am usually dreaming when this happens and the state of my room is just a figment of my dream. I am not actually aware of my physical surroundings since I am asleep.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Things I've seen out of the corner of my eye while sleep paralyzed: A spider, my little brother at 6 years old, my mother-in-law.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    ........ my mother-in-law.
    Now THATs frightening.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Now THATs frightening.

I'd be more creeped out by seeing the 6yr old...
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Now THATs frightening.
    At the time we weren't married, but sleeping in the same bed. I couldn't move.. but she was right there at the doorway.. looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'd be more creeped out by seeing the 6yr old...
    Yeah.. that had a greater context. That night was the most terrifying night of my life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I went through a period in my life when I frequently had weird experiences during the sleep-wake transition. These are called hypnagogic (while going from awake to asleep) or hypnopompic (while going from asleep to awake) hallucinations/experiences. When they first started happening I thought I had a brain tumor or something; they were so bizarre. I never actually had a visual hallucination of an incubus or anything, but I had tactile hallucinations (floating, vibrating, rising up and plunging down, spinning). In one particularly frightening experience, I felt like I was being drawn up out of my body and rising high above my bed, then being violently plunged back down into it. There was this intense sense of horror and dread, like I was truly being plunged into hell itself.

Good info on these experiences here: Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences

Cool Safely paralysed.

Over many millions of years we have evolved to sleep.

For some, sleep meant death at the teeth of a predator, but others survived sleep and lived to reproduce us.

And those who survived fell asleep in a particular way. They turned their senses off one by one, turning off hearing second last. And the proprioceptive sense was the last sense to turn off, causing muscle paralysis. And those who turned off hearing second last, and the proprioceptive sense last, were the first to hear the predator approaching and so were the first to wake and able to escape.

So when we are relatively safe, we turn off the last sense, the proprioceptive sense, causing muscle paralysis, so we won't hurt ourselves while we dream.

So we sleep and dream safely paralysed.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is a really great episode on sleep/functions & dysfunctions of sleep, etc.
    You guys should give it a listen when you have some time to kill.
    ['m somewhat addicted to radiolab, so I'm biased here, but it's awesome<3]

http://www.radiolab.org/2007/may/24/
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    FREE

My first and only experience with lucid dreaming was immediately followed by a frightening experience with sleep paralysis. What I experienced was very much like what you described in your OP, and I'd be happy if it never happened again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Thank you all for your stories and informative links - it's somewhat comforting to know how relatively normal this experience is, after all. I know the paralysis mechanism in our brains is there to prevent us from acting out our dreams, but when this function glitches out, the results are very interesting to say the least!

I suppose sleepwalkers must be at the other end of the spectrum (opposite those of us who experience awareness of their sleep paralysis). My boyfriend has mild sleepwalking tendencies; every night he talks in his sleep and sometimes he'll get up to rummage through his dresser drawers. He also tosses and turns constantly, causing any bed he sleeps in to become an absolute mess. Occasionally, he'll have no memory of whole conversations we had before going to bed, even if at the time he appeared to be interactive and aware. It's as though his brain starts going to sleep, but his body doesn't catch up. On the other hand, anyone who observes me while I sleep tells me I'm eerily still, almost like a dead person, and my blankets are scarcely disturbed at all. However, I am actually a very light sleeper and my boyfriend is an extremely deep sleeper. I am the type of person who somehow knows to wake up before the alarm clock goes off (even if it's not my normal sleep schedule), and my boyfriend is the type who gets up to hit the snooze button two or three times and has no memory of it, later. I wonder if these respective traits are common to somnambulism and awareness of sleep paralysis?

The way sleep paralysis sensations vary is fascinating to me, as well. A lot of you report auditory hallucinations. I didn't experience that, but it seems terrifying! To have a mysterious entity then talk to me would probably give me a heart attack! Thank you for sharing your experiences, though, seriously...I don't feel quite so worried about going to sleep tonight.

To those of you who have deliberately experimented with your sleeping, have you had any lucid dreaming experiences that went wrong?