• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

help me design a diet

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ok so here's basically what happens. When I eat too much meat I feel sick like if i have a serving of meat every day at minimum, when I eat none at all I feel like I'm going to pass out, despite getting enough protein and iron from other sources. It might be something else, ie all in my head but eating meat at least once a week seems to prevent me from passing out or feeling like I'm going to pass out. especially lamb or steak. My sister in law eats fish so I do eat that on occasion when my brother is out of town and that helps aswell, but it seems eating a strictly vegetarian diet leaves me feeling weak and low energy. so besides helping me design a diet. Why is this, because I am eating the nutrients I need to function but for whatever reason lack of meat makes me feel sluggish. maybe try to eat meat every 3 days and see how that works?

G

Ginkgo

I'm not sure why you're passing out, but beans+rice will give you the proteins your body needs, though you'll probably need a truckload of rice. Have you considered Boca products or other vegetarian foods?

Yeah see how that works with the meat every 3 days and see how you feel after a couple of weeks.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
see I do eat those, I don't get it. because i had veggie sausage along with pancakes for breakfast. something with root vegetables, lentils, and feta in it for lunch. So I shouldn't be feeling this way but I do.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
you could try supplementing your diet with protein powder. I recommend optimum nutrition's pro complex. it has 8 types of high purity protein and you can make tasty fruit shakes by blending it with fresh fruit, fat free vanilla yogurt, and ice.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
lets look at what 100g of lamb has in it

23 g of FAT !!!! and not rancid omega 6 loaden vegetable oils either (you know that eating lots of omega six makes it impossible for the body to take in required omega 3)

10 g of saturated fat --- check out coconut oil if you like satrurated fats. they are not unhealthy!!! its a lie.
9g monounsaturated fat
only 2 g of polyunsaturated fat

yeah some protein too...

plenty of calicum and magnesium. not the chemical trash from supplements.

other stuff like phosphor and selenium (check brazil nuts for selenium)

lots of potassium

are you a low-fat-paradigm slave?

i am on a low carb diet. eating fatty muscle meat only once a week, plus liver once seems to be a natural amount for me.
other protein sources are eggs, fish, cheese and yoghurt, and chocholate-whey isolat (which i like to mix with grinded coconut meat and verry little water, so it becomes a thick cream much like oat meal)

my lactose intollerance was healed as a side effect of my low carb diet.

A

Anew Leaf

ok so here's basically what happens. When I eat too much meat I feel sick like if i have a serving of meat every day at minimum, when I eat none at all I feel like I'm going to pass out, despite getting enough protein and iron from other sources. It might be something else, ie all in my head but eating meat at least once a week seems to prevent me from passing out or feeling like I'm going to pass out. especially lamb or steak. My sister in law eats fish so I do eat that on occasion when my brother is out of town and that helps aswell, but it seems eating a strictly vegetarian diet leaves me feeling weak and low energy. so besides helping me design a diet. Why is this, because I am eating the nutrients I need to function but for whatever reason lack of meat makes me feel sluggish. maybe try to eat meat every 3 days and see how that works?

Have you tried Quinoa yet? It's awesome! It's a pseudograin that has the full protein package, plus lots of fiber, and other stuff in it. I use it as a substitute for pasta for the most part, but it lets me get away with eating less meat as a whole.

It's fairly cheap and very easy to make. I get mine at the bulk section of a whole foods kind of store near me. It's much cheaper if you can get it that way... but I do know that Trader Joe's carries it as well in boxed form.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Eat beans, lentils, nuts (or nut butters like peanut butter and almond butter), seeds, eggs, and dairy products to get protein most of the week. Beans and eggs alone are fantastic sources of protein and other nutrients. Also, like Saturned recommended, quinoa is a grain that is a source of complete protein.

Then eat fish or chicken once or twice a week if you're craving meat.

I seriously think you may not be eating enough beans, eggs, and cheese or something if a vegetarian diet makes you feel sluggish. Usually it's vegan diets that do that when people are excluding animal products entirely and doing it in an improper manner. Beans contain a great deal of iron, just like meat.

There are entire populations of people that pretty much live off of beans as a primary staple. It's common in Mexico (refried beans and rice), Lousiana (red beans and rice), and many other places.

I also recommend eating whole grains, which are more filling. Multi-grain breads, brown rice, etc. will help you feel fuller and give you more nutrients. I also got these great buckwheat ramen from the Korean grocery store, you could get them at any Asian market I'm sure.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
that's the thing I am getting enough of those things, I just don't understand why my head hurts and i feel like I'm going to faint all the time eating this way.

A

Anew Leaf

that's the thing I am getting enough of those things, I just don't understand why my head hurts and i feel like I'm going to faint all the time eating this way.

Are you eating enough fresh veggies? Are you getting outside enough? Getting any exercise in? Even just taking a half hour walk can do wonders. :)

A

Anew Leaf

Might be a good idea. If you are able to, go see an endocrinologist... they can run a bunch of blood tests to check all sorts of stuff including iron, blood sugar, and thyroid.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
is a vegetarian diet your goal? if so there's tons and tons of resources online, especially for this particular issue. The most common cause is just not eating enough calories. It's hard to eat as many calories of beans compared to your average steak. Your diet might also be too low in fat (preventing vitamin absorption).

If it's not your goal, obviously just eat meat less than the amount that makes you feel sick in one direction (sounds like every day), and more than the amount that makes you feel sick in the other direction (sounds like once a week). So a few times a week. Easy.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj

What the heck? Your sluggishness has nothing to do with meat, protein, iron, or "nutrients". It's a blood sugar issue. I'm guessing your intake of carbohydrates is borderline insufficient if not severely lacking. And your body is using the protein from meat to generate blood sugar (and a poor job at that) instead of repairing muscle tissue, which would explain why you feel tired when you don't eat meat (which is why I'm thinking you are borderline). Meat should never determine your energy levels unless you are eating very poorly, trust me.

Increase your carb intake. Not just any carbs, but complex meaning low glycemic index. Oatmeal (not that instant crap), brown/parbroiled rice, multigrain bread. Refined carbs will give you a quick boost and then you will plummet (sort of like a sugar rush/crash). I would start your day with a big bowl of oatmeal with some coconut oil or something (to slow down the release of sugar into your blood even more)...good quality protein powder will make it taste much better plus give you a good source of protein. PM me for an online recommendation since most of the store ones are crap and expensive, and there are bunch of different types. If you do this, you will have good energy levels for a long time before your next meal. Seeing a doc at this point is overkill. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll recommend what to talk to your doctor about

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah the only thing in that list that I like enough to eat all the time is brown rice. I don't like bread that much and i absolutley hate oatmeal unless it's oatmeal cookies. I can't handle the texture

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
have you tried steel cut oatmeal? totally different texture and even taste (imo both are far superior vs. the rolled-oat oatmeal). better for you, too.