• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Barefoot and minimal shoe running

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Has anyone tried it? What are your experiences and thoughts?

I did it for a few weeks years ago, but got so enthusiastic about it that I overdid it. I had to take a week off because of blisters, and never got back into it. The reason I overdid it is that the lack of weighty shoes and the biomechanical efficiency were astounding and hard not to take advantage of!

I'm starting back at it again, this time more carefully and slowly to give my feet time to adapt. I was allowing too much friction on foot strike, and concrete can be like sandpaper after a few miles of that. For my first barefoot run in years, I ran for 15 minutes on concrete last night, and my feet are just slightly sore. My leg muscles are very sore, almost to the point where I want some ibuprofen.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIT7t2jtdP0&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I see those shoes pretty often. I'd like to try some of the low-profile shoes, but maybe not the ones with toes...

Edit: running barefoot in NYC strikes me as really, really foolish.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I see those shoes pretty often. I'd like to try some of the low-profile shoes, but maybe not the ones with toes...

Edit: running barefoot in NYC strikes me as really, really foolish.

I wear these for hiking/backpacking, although they'd make good minimalist street running shoes.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
What happens when it's really hot outside? Wouldn't the pavement be too hot on bare feet?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What happens when it's really hot outside? Wouldn't the pavement be too hot on bare feet?
Yes. Concrete is cooler than asphalt, but even it gets hot enough that I wouldn't want to run barefoot on it. I usually run in the evening near or after sunset though.

I think most barefoot runners have a minimalist pair of shoes like Five Fingers, Inov8, or huarache sandals (which I think look uncomfortable) to wear when their feet or the surface aren't going to work well barefoot.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone around here just got a pair of Five Fingers. I can't remember though.

Works had some over at INTPc too.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Udog and Jock I think both have those. Udog seems to be a fan. Haven't heard anything from Jock for awhile about how he felt about them after a few months.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I walk barefoot extremely often but I would not run barefoot or without running shoes, it seems incredibly stupid not only in terms of blisters but also the jarring it would put on the bones in your feet and your knee and hip joints.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
And you ran barefoot on concrete? Even worse. Are you crazy? If you're going to try something like barefoot running at least do it on natural land. Concrete is bad enough for your bones and joints even wearing running shoes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
LOL!

In all seriousness, though, it seems like asking for injury or arthritis.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
All I'm asking for is a weird look, or maybe just an awkward sideways glance? :puppy_dog_eyes:

One of the main premises of the barefoot/minimal running craze* is that elevated, padded footwear is responsible for many running injuries, including knees, hips, and spine. The bones and muscles in the foot have evolved as the human's running shock absorber, and modern footwear circumvents this with excessively padded and elevated heels, which nearly force a heel-first strike instead of a mid to toe-first strike. The heel strike transfers the forces directly up into the rest of the musculoskeletal structure.

*The term craze was selected especially for Marmie.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah the foot evolved as a natural shock absorber on grassy land and dirt plains, not concrete, bro.

It also builds up over time. People like me who have been running around barefoot since they were two probably have better shock absorbtion built up than people who have being wearing shoes most of the day for most of their lives.

But even then, we are a very shoed culture and even those of us who walk barefoot on a regular basis wear shoes more than our native ancestors did, and still have the heel-toe walk rather than toe-heel.

I think there's a lot of logical loopholes in saying you can suddenly take off shoes when you're an adult and run around on concrete and not get injured. I really don't think so.

However, maybe the "minimal shoes" have more protection than running completely barefoot.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've used Vibrams for about a year, use them when I work out and run. I used to get knee/hip pain before using them but since I've switched that's completely gone and running is pain free. As for actual barefoot running, not as much but I still do it from time to time to keep my feet tough and in shape. It's incredible how underutilized the muscles in your feet are with shoes.

Kills your leg muscles for first month or two as they strengthen but for me the payoff has definitely been worth it. If you're suffering from a lot of foot friction, don't "push off" the bottom of your foot as much and concentrate a bit more on simply lifting your quads; your lower leg will follow accordingly.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i like running barefoot from time to time. i use that convenient strip of grass next to the sidewalk. it's fun and i'm always surprised by what new muscle groups i discover are sore the next day.

also thank you for introducing me to these huaraches, i want some now :)

edit - i've been going barefoot essentially as much as reasonably possible ever since i was little (i like the feeling of ground under my feets :3 ) and tend to strike with the ball of my foot first, especially when running. hearing your own heelbone smack concrete and feeling the shock travel up your leg, not appealing!

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think there's a lot of logical loopholes in saying you can suddenly take off shoes when you're an adult and run around on concrete and not get injured. I really don't think so.
I don't think anyone would recommend this, and I agree that it would be a good idea. You might have gotten that impression from my post about what I did. I should've specified that I've done some barefoot running before and learned from my mistakes then. I've also been doing quite a bit of hiking and backpacking throughout all seasons the past several years wearing minimal footwear.

R

RDF

Barefoot running goes in and out of fashion. It was a fad for a while in the 70s--I tried it for a bit then. But once enough people get injured doing it, it disappears again. :)

It largely coincides with periods when runners try to shift from heel-strike to forefoot-strike. Again, forefoot-strike tends to be a bit of a fad. Some swear by it, but I don’t think it really works well for most runners.

And if you want to do heel-strike right, then you need to be on a soft surface (dirt and grass) or have some other kind of artificial cushioning (a cushioned running shoe).

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
030408bear_foot.gif