Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

LOL!

In all seriousness, though, it seems like asking for injury or arthritis.

All I'm asking for is a weird look, or maybe just an awkward sideways glance?

One of the main premises of the barefoot/minimal running craze* is that elevated, padded footwear is responsible for many running injuries, including knees, hips, and spine. The bones and muscles in the foot have evolved as the human's running shock absorber, and modern footwear circumvents this with excessively padded and elevated heels, which nearly force a heel-first strike instead of a mid to toe-first strike. The heel strike transfers the forces directly up into the rest of the musculoskeletal structure.

*The term craze was selected especially for Marmie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah the foot evolved as a natural shock absorber on grassy land and dirt plains, not concrete, bro.

It also builds up over time. People like me who have been running around barefoot since they were two probably have better shock absorbtion built up than people who have being wearing shoes most of the day for most of their lives.

But even then, we are a very shoed culture and even those of us who walk barefoot on a regular basis wear shoes more than our native ancestors did, and still have the heel-toe walk rather than toe-heel.

I think there's a lot of logical loopholes in saying you can suddenly take off shoes when you're an adult and run around on concrete and not get injured. I really don't think so.

However, maybe the "minimal shoes" have more protection than running completely barefoot.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've used Vibrams for about a year, use them when I work out and run. I used to get knee/hip pain before using them but since I've switched that's completely gone and running is pain free. As for actual barefoot running, not as much but I still do it from time to time to keep my feet tough and in shape. It's incredible how underutilized the muscles in your feet are with shoes.

Kills your leg muscles for first month or two as they strengthen but for me the payoff has definitely been worth it. If you're suffering from a lot of foot friction, don't "push off" the bottom of your foot as much and concentrate a bit more on simply lifting your quads; your lower leg will follow accordingly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i like running barefoot from time to time. i use that convenient strip of grass next to the sidewalk. it's fun and i'm always surprised by what new muscle groups i discover are sore the next day.

also thank you for introducing me to these huaraches, i want some now

edit - i've been going barefoot essentially as much as reasonably possible ever since i was little (i like the feeling of ground under my feets :3 ) and tend to strike with the ball of my foot first, especially when running. hearing your own heelbone smack concrete and feeling the shock travel up your leg, not appealing!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think there's a lot of logical loopholes in saying you can suddenly take off shoes when you're an adult and run around on concrete and not get injured. I really don't think so.
    I don't think anyone would recommend this, and I agree that it would be a good idea. You might have gotten that impression from my post about what I did. I should've specified that I've done some barefoot running before and learned from my mistakes then. I've also been doing quite a bit of hiking and backpacking throughout all seasons the past several years wearing minimal footwear.

RDF

The proper way to run:

RDF

Barefoot running goes in and out of fashion. It was a fad for a while in the 70s--I tried it for a bit then. But once enough people get injured doing it, it disappears again.

It largely coincides with periods when runners try to shift from heel-strike to forefoot-strike. Again, forefoot-strike tends to be a bit of a fad. Some swear by it, but I don’t think it really works well for most runners.

And if you want to do heel-strike right, then you need to be on a soft surface (dirt and grass) or have some other kind of artificial cushioning (a cushioned running shoe).

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    The proper way to run:
    [video]
    That's hilarious!