12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Default Sleeping Troubles...

It's been going on for the better part of two weeks now. Regardless of how early/late I go to bed I wake up at 3am on the dot and over the past couple of days, anywhere from 5-6am as well. At this point I can't get back to sleep and I spend the rest of my days exhausted, moody and with low energy.

I have a considerable amount of stress in my life, but this is nothing new. In fact things for me haven't been steadily-not-stressful in months. It's possible that things are finally catching up with me, but I doubt it. My diet hasn't changed. None of my routinely activities really have come to think of it, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be causing this sudden onset...

If this trend continues for another week I'll probably go in to see a doctor just to make sure I'm physically all right. (not low in iron/vitamins/whatever) I guess for now I'm just hoping things will figure themselves out, not getting a good night's sleep is pretty common. *shrugs* basically if anyone has any suggestions/remedies for sleeplessness I'd love to hear them and possibly give it a try. thanks.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Hello Ms. Malice!

I'm a life long insomniac.
    Here's what helps me go to sleep:

(1) Don't drink more than one cup of coffee per day (6 AM, that's it!)
    (2) Exercise regularly
    (3) Don't bottle up stress, write it down, yell it out, buy a punching bag, anything is better than bottling it up. Have you talked to a counselor/psychologist? I thought they were quackjobs up until a few years ago, and once I went to talk to one when I was stressed out, I learned alot about myself in a short amount of time, it was pretty cool actually.
    (4) Confront the source of your problems, head on!
    (5) Put some faith in God, let him help you, just do your best to endure the hard times, and keep looking forward positively, and DO NOT give up hope. This too shall pass.
    (6) If I need sleep meds, I take either Xanax or Rozerem. I am allergic to Ambien, but I hear it works great too.

I hope some of the above is helpful to you.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Take care, kiddo!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

If you don't want to delve into more serious sleep meds, you could try popping a couple of melatonin before bed. It doesn't really make you feel too sleepy, but once you decide to go to sleep it helps you fall into it and stay that way for the rest of the night. I've been using it to help myself get back into a normal sleep pattern.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

violaine

I struggle with insomnia occasionally. Regular exercise helps me. It helps lessen anxiety and also makes me can't-keep-my-eyes-open tired. (Bike riding and swimming work wonders.)

I'm very light-sensitive. If there is even a smidgen of daylight leaking into my room, I will wake up. In those situations, I wear a sleep mask at night and I don't wake up with the dawn.

I have also read that being too mentally active at night, particularly when combined with the light source of a computer or TV can throw people's sleep off.

And be a little careful with ambien. If you are sensitive to it, you can end up doing strange things. (I took it once and didn't sleep, just felt very tripped out and I made phone calls and emails that I shouldn't have.)

Sniffles

Yeah I recently read that turning off the TV and/or computer at least an hour before bedtime helps. I've noticed this from personal experience.

Ginkgo

I struggle most with insomnia when I'm inactive. If I have a regular agenda during the day, my circadian rhythm self-corrects.

Stress puts continuous, distracting jolts to my system that if left unchecked, ruins my sleep. My mind fizzles and I just lay there brainstorming about negative thoughts, even if I'm absolutely exhausted. I've learned to meditate, use neuro linguistic programming and prayer in these situations to clear the air.

Lately, imagining that I'm slowly falling facing up, like into a body of water or sand, puts me to rest very effectively. I'm not sure why.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was having problems waking up like that for awhile. I tried sleep meds and they did nothing. Went on for months. I also had a couple weird situations where I would wake up with injuries. A couple times I woke up with a dislocated shoulder. Did a sleep lab, and as it turns out... I was tossing and turning so violently in my sleep that I was giving myself concussions and dislocating my shoulder WHILE I WAS ASLEEP. Honestly, the employees at the sleep lab were freaked out. One of them joked that they were ready to call an exorcist.

Started taking muscle relaxers before bed, and I have never slept so well in my life.

I would highly recommend going to one of those sleep labs if you have the time.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

figsfiggyfigs

Come over and spend it with us on vent. At least we'll entertain you... maybe...

Enneagram
    9w8

Halla and others have offered many viable strategies.

I'm a big fan of working out in the evening due to the fact that it means I'm stretched, relaxed, and tired - the longest I went without sleeping was six days, and I'd rather never repeat that.

Perhaps physical activity in the evening - not the kind that wakes you up (like a long walk), but the kind that tires ye out (weight lifting, strenuous activity of any kind) - could help. As you are waking up in the early morning hours, though... for some reason changing where I was sleeping has helped me before. Bed, then couch, then the roof (kidding on the last). These are oddball tactics which could help.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    the longest I went without sleeping was six days, and I'd rather never repeat that.
    Seriously? My maximum is three days, and that was while continuously taking adderall and Red Bull. How in the hell did you pull off six days? I think I might really die if I tried that shit.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness