User Tag List

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Alternatives to Champix (a quit smoking thread)

Well, I've had to stop taking Champix...not because I became a homicidal manic, luckily but because I developed a nasty rash. I hadn't even reached my cold turkey date! (I was day eight, planning to quit on the weekend).
    So, I'm at a loss. Does any one have any suggestions? Patches are out because I'm allergic to those too.
    Gum actually works for me, but I do stupid things like run out when I'm oncall on a sunday night at 3am, and as you can only get them from chemists, which aren't open then, it's really kinda bad managment on my part.

Has any one tried Zyban? How'd that work for you?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Not tried Zyban personally (yet).

Have you tried the little sweeties you put under your tongue for 10 minutes (or until it dissolves)? Edit - They are called Niquitin Minis 1.5mg (cherry is better than mint)
    How about the inhaler?
    Apparently a spray has just come out (in the UK anyway) ..

I'm running out of options.

How about willpower? .. Major flaw for me.

Sellotape over the mouth is an option i may consider at some point, lol.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The pastille thingies? I have. They weren't bad, liked the gum better. I feel the same way as you Saslou, though, I think I gonna have to do some thing drastic like sew my lips shut, although knowing me, I'd find some way to still suck on the cancers sticks. It's just getting to be a really annoying habit, and well, people treat you as though you have the plauge these days. If they sold gum and patches etc like they do cigerettes (and make them as freely available), it would be a much more viable option. Especially for people who do lots of night shifts, and on call work.
    I was told that the inhaler was for heavy smokers. I'm not a particularly heavy smoker. Vary from 5-15, a day. I guess that's why it's irrating I can't stop.
    I think it's because I'll lose my excuse to duct out of work or where ever for five minutes peace and quiet. (I know that's what the bathrooms for, but it's not the same!) Some times that five minutes is what keeps me holding on to sanity at work. People tend ask questions if you sit on a bench staring at nothing if you don't have a ciggie in your hand.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]